PDA

View Full Version : Renovations Complete!??

paciorek1983
04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Just saw the article on whitesox.com that all renovations for the ballpark are complete. I like what they have done, but I wish they would do a little more. I can't believe that they spent all of the money. The article mentions that they spent 11 mil this year. Didn't they spend just 28 mil last year? That doesn't add up. I can't believe this article. The other renovations that happened, (phases one thru 3 happened before the US Celular $. I don't get it. And I thought that the green seats were funded by a maintanance fund.

Oh well, the park will look great once the seats are done, but I still wanted to see more.:(:

GiveMeSox
04-12-2005, 10:14 PM
Just saw the article on whitesox.com that all renovations for the ballpark are complete. I like what they have done, but I wish they would do a little more. I can't believe that they spent all of the money. The article mentions that they spent 11 mil this year. Didn't they spend just 28 mil last year? That doesn't add up. I can't believe this article. The other renovations that happened, (phases one thru 3 happened before the US Celular $. I don't get it. And I thought that the green seats were funded by a maintanance fund.

Oh well, the park will look great once the seats are done, but I still wanted to see more.:(:

Dont froget the green seats too. Last year they also installed a new jumbo tron, hew led ribbon boards, and did a lot of painting and staining of the park both inside and out. Id guess that the money also paid for the fan deck. Maybe there is some money left, maybe not. However I just dont think they are done. Teams upgrade their park all the time in offseason. I think the next thing the sox will do is upgrade their scoreboard to bigger, brighter, better one like in Anaheim and Cleveland.

skobabe8
04-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Dont froget the green seats too. Last year they also installed a new jumbo tron, hew led ribbon boards, and did a lot of painting and staining of the park both inside and out. Id guess that the money also paid for the fan deck. Maybe there is some money left, maybe not. However I just dont think they are done. Teams upgrade their park all the time in offseason. I think the next thing the sox will do is upgrade their scoreboard to bigger, brighter, better one like in Anaheim and Cleveland.

Id like to see a scoreboard update, too. I know we just got the new HD screen, but still. the board at old comiskey was HUGE and dominated the park. Id like to see that again.

paciorek1983
04-12-2005, 10:26 PM

The new video screen was instaled before the start of the 2003 season as well as the led ribbons--all of that had to be planned before the naming rights deal, which was announced in Jan of 2003. All of the painting and stuff was done prior to the 03 season for the All Star Game.

As for the green seats, I thought that money came from the maintenance fund--the seats were at the end of their "useful life".

I hope that they upgrade the scoreboard. To me it is no longer a big deal. Ever since they put in the new video board, the whole thing looks plain. It looked so much more interesting before. They need to put in an analg clock--as soon as the McDonald's sponsorship runs out. Keep the pinwheels, put brighter lights on it, put the out-of-town scores, a few more ads and make it bigger.

FightingBillini
04-12-2005, 10:58 PM
I have thought for a while they should make the scoreboard bigger. That is one of the signatures of the park. First of all, the scoreboard doesn't look big compared to the rest of the park (the board was much higher than the upper deck in the old park). Second, there are several new parks that have bigger scoreboards. To restore civic pride, we will make the scoreboard AND the Sears tower 20 feet higher.:cool:

Anyway, here is a thing I made on photoshop. Its crude, but Im a beginner. I made it look like the scoreboard from old comiskey, even added the extra pinwheel and the clock on top. Also it actually has the scores on it, unlike the current board. Oh, and its much bigger. Hopefully they do something like this.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2404

ewokpelts
04-13-2005, 12:33 PM
The new video screen was instaled before the start of the 2003 season as well as the led ribbons--all of that had to be planned before the naming rights deal, which was announced in Jan of 2003. All of the painting and stuff was done prior to the 03 season for the All Star Game.

As for the green seats, I thought that money came from the maintenance fund--the seats were at the end of their "useful life".

I hope that they upgrade the scoreboard. To me it is no longer a big deal. Ever since they put in the new video board, the whole thing looks plain. It looked so much more interesting before. They need to put in an analg clock--as soon as the McDonald's sponsorship runs out. Keep the pinwheels, put brighter lights on it, put the out-of-town scores, a few more ads and make it bigger.
:reinsy
more ads you say?! yay! bud, they want more ads!

:tool
excellent lord sidious...soon our revenge will be complete!

StockdaleForVeep
04-13-2005, 12:58 PM
I have thought for a while they should make the scoreboard bigger. That is one of the signatures of the park. First of all, the scoreboard doesn't look big compared to the rest of the park (the board was much higher than the upper deck in the old park). Second, there are several new parks that have bigger scoreboards. To restore civic pride, we will make the scoreboard AND the Sears tower 20 feet higher.:cool:

Anyway, here is a thing I made on photoshop. Its crude, but Im a beginner. I made it look like the scoreboard from old comiskey, even added the extra pinwheel and the clock on top. Also it actually has the scores on it, unlike the current board. Oh, and its much bigger. Hopefully they do something like this.

My opinion, id dislike the concept of all the blue sky with the adboards gone, makes it look so empty compared to the scoreboard.

FightingBillini
04-13-2005, 03:18 PM
My opinion, id dislike the concept of all the blue sky with the adboards gone, makes it look so empty compared to the scoreboard.
I think it really opens things up. I like that is makes everything look empty compared to the scoreboard. It should be. Its horrible that the ads are almost as big as the scoreboard. I want the scoreboard to be so monsterous that NOTHING in the park is close to its size. I want it to be the focalpoint of the park, and stand out due to its size.

Joosh
04-13-2005, 03:58 PM

I dont think that they will change the shape of the scoreboard, but they may spring for a few upgrades in the next few years.

What I would like to see is a bigger HR Celebration. The ones we have now are so, cheap. If they could do something more creative, ie: Pyrotechnics shooting out and exploding from the sides, (Like a REAL Exploding scroeboard), as more fireworks shot off in the air. We've had these ones for a long time, something interesting would be a nice change.

batmanZoSo
04-13-2005, 04:56 PM

Leave it to the Sox to put up digital screens to simulate a blue sky...:rolleyes:

That's a nice job, though. God I hate those billboards, they have to go.

oeo
04-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Would it be possible to make the screen any higher? That could eliminate the obstructed view of it from right-center and I hear more recently in left after the FUNdamentals deck was put up. I don't know how high it would have to be though...

Fenway
04-13-2005, 05:35 PM
For some reason the White Sox stick with Chicago based White Way for their scoreboards even though a South Dakota company Daktronics produces a far better product

http://www.whiteway.com

http://www.daktronics.com

nlentz88
04-13-2005, 05:49 PM
They’re done with renovations? Really? And the FUNdamentals area is supposed to look like that?

I decided to reserve judgment of the new FUNdamentals area until I saw it in person. Well, on opening day I got a good look at it from my seats in section 540, and I was not happy with it at all. I could have sworn that the artist’s conceptual sketches of the area featured some kind of color. As it is now, the only things with any color in the FUNdamentals section were the minivans they were hocking. Wasn’t there supposed to be some kind of grass (fake or not) on the mini-field? Wasn’t it supposed to have color and flavor instead of being just beige concrete? After the game, I prayed that the Sox weren’t done with the FUNdamentals section, that they still had some painting and other beautification to do. If they’re done with it, I’m a little ashamed. It looked like crap, obstructed views (especially of the left field scoreboard listing the lineups), and hosted only a very small fraction of the kids present at the sold-out game.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-13-2005, 05:55 PM
The billboards are a fact of life, so I say just let them be. OTOH, you need to make your new scoreboard TWICE AS BIG as the one in your depiction. Then nobody will give a damn about the tinker toy sized billboards anymore.
:wink:

Sox Park must always have the largest and most outrageous scoreboard in Major League Baseball. The Sox have some catching up to do to reclaim our birthright in center field.

:cool:

FightingBillini
04-13-2005, 06:26 PM
The billboards are a fact of life, so I say just let them be. OTOH, you need to make your new scoreboard TWICE AS BIG as the one in your depiction. Then nobody will give a damn about the tinker toy sized billboards anymore.
:wink:

Sox Park must always have the largest and most outrageous scoreboard in Major League Baseball. The Sox have some catching up to do to reclaim our birthright in center field.

:cool:

I realize that the ads are a part of baseball and there is no way around it. However, I think they need to find creative ways to do it. The single worst feature of the park (much worse than the original upper deck) is the monstrous billboards. There is no way the ads should be as big as the scoreboard (which almost are now). As for the size of the scoreboard, I agree it should be much bigger. I don't know if I would make it higher than the upper deck as in the old park, but I would certainly make it a monstrosity.

GiveMeSox
04-13-2005, 06:34 PM
They’re done with renovations? Really? And the FUNdamentals area is supposed to look like that?

I decided to reserve judgment of the new FUNdamentals area until I saw it in person. Well, on opening day I got a good look at it from my seats in section 540, and I was not happy with it at all. I could have sworn that the artist’s conceptual sketches of the area featured some kind of color. As it is now, the only things with any color in the FUNdamentals section were the minivans they were hocking. Wasn’t there supposed to be some kind of grass (fake or not) on the mini-field? Wasn’t it supposed to have color and flavor instead of being just beige concrete? After the game, I prayed that the Sox weren’t done with the FUNdamentals section, that they still had some painting and other beautification to do. If they’re done with it, I’m a little ashamed. It looked like crap, obstructed views (especially of the left field scoreboard listing the lineups), and hosted only a very small fraction of the kids present at the sold-out game.

I really have a feeling the sox are not done with the fundamentals deck. First of all on the part nearest the upper deck the pic shows a tiki bar/concessions area with picnic tables. That is not there at all. Same with the color. I think that with the sox playing 14 of their first 24 on the road has something to do with it. Not to mention the sox have a nice 8 game road trip next week. I think they will use that time to complete some finishing touches with painting, staining, bringing in more props, and installing the concessions area.

skobabe8
04-13-2005, 06:46 PM
I really have a feeling the sox are not done with the fundamentals deck. First of all on the part nearest the upper deck the pic shows a tiki bar/concessions area with picnic tables. That is not there at all. Same with the color. I think that with the sox playing 14 of their first 24 on the road has something to do with it. Not to mention the sox have a nice 8 game road trip next week. I think they will use that time to complete some finishing touches with painting, staining, bringing in more props, and installing the concessions area.

In addition, will we see more seats replaced during this roadtrip?

FightingBillini
04-13-2005, 07:00 PM

Yep, there is still a lot left to do. There will be astroturf laid down, and a lot of bells and whistles. Someone posted here that they heard it wouldnt be completed until mid June. That may be true, because they are also working on the restaurant for the scout seat patrons. For now, they are using a tent outside the park.

StockdaleForVeep
04-13-2005, 07:03 PM
I think it really opens things up. I like that is makes everything look empty compared to the scoreboard. It should be. Its horrible that the ads are almost as big as the scoreboard. I want the scoreboard to be so monsterous that NOTHING in the park is close to its size. I want it to be the focalpoint of the park, and stand out due to its size.

I dunno, i just dislike seeing the cross beams run across and be connected to really nothing in the middle except one light tower

ChicagoHoosier
04-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Does anyone know if they'll let adults up in that area just to check it out? I know when there are too many kids, we shouldn't be allowed up there, but I'd really like to see it.

FightingBillini
04-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Does anyone know if they'll let adults up in that area just to check it out? I know when there are too many kids, we shouldn't be allowed up there, but I'd really like to see it.
Yeah, adults are allowed. They are airing radio commercials warning dads not to embarass themselves by trying to exhibit athletic skills in the FUNdamentals aread.

Even if they don't let adults partake, they have to let you in. Most parents are not going to let their kid run around the park alone until they are older.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Yep, there is still a lot left to do. There will be astroturf laid down, and a lot of bells and whistles. Someone posted here that they heard it wouldnt be completed until mid June. That may be true, because they are also working on the restaurant for the scout seat patrons. For now, they are using a tent outside the park.

I drove by the park on Monday afternoon on the Ryan, and crews were working on it...hard to see what they were doing. I gotta believe they wanted the structure open for the season opener - when the Sox are out of town on trips, they'll continue to work on it so it's better for every homestand.

The quicker we get the green seats in, the better....

My only request is some scoreboard update - MORE fireworks, definitely...but upgrade the screen, etc....and call is VeeckVision. THAT would be a home run with the fans. Give Kudos to the man who invented it.