PDA

View Full Version : Does this mean no right field home run porch?

Viva Medias B's
04-12-2005, 09:35 PM
According to this article (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050412&content_id=1013281&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) on the White Sox home page, which you may have seen already, the USCF renovations are all done. Of course, the ongoing installation of the green seets will continue to take place. However, all major work is done. I suppose that means we'll not see a right field home run porch which the original renovation plans called for.

skobabe8
04-12-2005, 09:47 PM
I LOVE everything thats been done, yet I think there could have been more. Personally, I was hoping for the grand entrance. But like I said, I still love the place.

FightingBillini
04-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Im not so sure they are done. I dont know why they would post an article making a point of it, but Im pretty sure there will be more changes. Even if nothing major is done, there will likely be minor changes to the park every year as old stuff breaks down and new stuff is replaced.
I noticed in the article that the Scout Seats section is apparently called the United Scout Seats. Also, the FUNdamentals area is sponsored by Pontiac. There were several Pontiac signs there, and a couple cars, though Im not sure if it is officially called the "pontiac fundamentals area". My point it, there will be able to do more stuff with corporate sponsorships. Think of it this way - if the Sox put in a Home Run Porch, they will be considered special seats. There will be a novelty to sitting in those seats, at least for the first several years. Even if future teams bomb and attendance is horrible, that section would have many more seats that would be sold out at least 4 times a year.
I guess we will have to wait until the end of the season to tell, but I feel we might be witnessing a White Sox renaissance. I think in the next couple of years the Sox will be a powerhouse, and they will set team attendance records. It would ne nice to have extra seats to sell in that instance. Plus, if it becomes the "Jack Daniels Porch" as we have heard or the "Bank1 Porch" or anything else like that, Reinsy will have to pay for much less.

peeonwrigley
04-12-2005, 09:59 PM
I think in the next couple of years the Sox will be a powerhouse, and they will set team attendance records. It would ne nice to have extra seats to sell in that instance.

Considering the amount of seats they've removed in the past few years, unless they do add a significant amount of new ones won't it be hard to surpass the first year of New Comiskey attendance when the team drew 2.9M?

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/1990-99attendance.htm (http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/1990-99attendance.htm)

kevingrt
04-12-2005, 10:02 PM
As long as the home park keeps producing wins I'm happy with any renovation that makes the ballpark feel more like home.

paciorek1983
04-12-2005, 10:04 PM
I guess your thread beat out mine. But as I said in mine, I'm a little dissappointed if this was the end. I really cant believe it. I just don't think they spent all of that money already. And considering there are sponsorships for the Scouts Seats and Fundamentals, some of that has got to be paying for those things.

GiveMeSox
04-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Im not so sure they are done. I dont know why they would post an article making a point of it, but Im pretty sure there will be more changes. Even if nothing major is done, there will likely be minor changes to the park every year as old stuff breaks down and new stuff is replaced.
I noticed in the article that the Scout Seats section is apparently called the United Scout Seats. Also, the FUNdamentals area is sponsored by Pontiac. There were several Pontiac signs there, and a couple cars, though Im not sure if it is officially called the "pontiac fundamentals area". My point it, there will be able to do more stuff with corporate sponsorships. Think of it this way - if the Sox put in a Home Run Porch, they will be considered special seats. There will be a novelty to sitting in those seats, at least for the first several years. Even if future teams bomb and attendance is horrible, that section would have many more seats that would be sold out at least 4 times a year.
I guess we will have to wait until the end of the season to tell, but I feel we might be witnessing a White Sox renaissance. I think in the next couple of years the Sox will be a powerhouse, and they will set team attendance records. It would ne nice to have extra seats to sell in that instance. Plus, if it becomes the "Jack Daniels Porch" as we have heard or the "Bank1 Porch" or anything else like that, Reinsy will have to pay for much less.

Like I said in another thread I think there are a few minor changes still to come. I think the scoreboard will be addressed and a new one like the one in cleveland or anaheim will be put in. I have also heard things in the media and from sox people at soxfest about possibly adding more rows of seats down the lines like they did in 2001. I also heard rumors about plans to do something with the unused skyboxes further down the lines on both levels and turning them into something new for the fans.

ewokpelts
04-12-2005, 10:26 PM
Like I said in another thread I think there are a few minor changes still to come. I think the scoreboard will be addressed and a new one like the one in cleveland or anaheim will be put in. I have also heard things in the media and from sox people at soxfest about possibly adding more rows of seats down the lines like they did in 2001. I also heard rumors about plans to do something with the unused skyboxes further down the lines on both levels and turning them into something new for the fans.they put ina new scoreboard....in 2003
Gene

paciorek1983
04-12-2005, 10:28 PM
they put ina new scoreboard....in 2003
Gene

All they did was put in a new video board and made the whole thing look boring, except for the new color.:(: :whiner:

FightingBillini
04-12-2005, 11:10 PM
Considering the amount of seats they've removed in the past few years, unless they do add a significant amount of new ones won't it be hard to surpass the first year of New Comiskey attendance when the team drew 2.9M?

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/1990-99attendance.htm (http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/1990-99attendance.htm)
Yes, it would be difficult to surpass. However, in those seasons, the park was always close to capacity, but almost never sold out. Estimating capacity at 41,000, the Sox would draw 3.32mil with an entire season sold out. If they add a thousand more seats, the yearlong capacity would be closer to 3.5mil. Like I said, it would be tough to beat 2.9mil, but if the Sox become a top caliber team, it can happen.

LVSoxFan
04-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Pontiac?!?

Now I get it! I was WONDERING what the hell a car was doing up there when I saw it opening day!

LOL. Shades of Comerica Park.

batmanZoSo
04-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Yes, it would be difficult to surpass. However, in those seasons, the park was always close to capacity, but almost never sold out. Estimating capacity at 41,000, the Sox would draw 3.32mil with an entire season sold out. If they add a thousand more seats, the yearlong capacity would be closer to 3.5mil. Like I said, it would be tough to beat 2.9mil, but if the Sox become a top caliber team, it can happen.

It would take a few great years to build up to that, but I agree it can be done. If we win the division this year I estimate we'll end up at 2.2 tops, which is an average of 27,160. We were primed to go over 2 million last year until we fell off the map. If we were to stay in contention until the end, imagine all the big games in September that would surely be sold out. To finish out the home schedule, we have a *possibly* big three game series vs. Cleveland followed by a huge, (probably division clinching for one of us) four game anxiety fest vs. the Twins. That's easily four sell outs and likely three 35,000+ dates for the Cleveland series.

The month would probably average 34,000, whereas last year the crowds dwindled to the mid 20s or even lower because we all knew they were done. An extra 15k a night equals about a quarter million for a month of baseball, which would turn last year's 1.9 into about 2.2.

ZachAL
04-13-2005, 12:50 AM
they put ina new scoreboard....in 2003
Gene

Speaking of new scoreboards, I just got home from the Braves-Nationals game and you guys should see the new scoreboard the Braves put up in Turner Field, AMAZING. I couldnt find pictures and I dont know if it's been adressed, but the video screen has to be at least twice as big as ours. Heck I'd say the whole video screen is as big as our whole scoreboard including pinwheels etc. And I believe its in HD, if not it looks really good. We should look into an upgrade!!!!

GiveMeSox
04-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Speaking of new scoreboards, I just got home from the Braves-Nationals game and you guys should see the new scoreboard the Braves put up in Turner Field, AMAZING. I couldnt find pictures and I dont know if it's been adressed, but the video screen has to be at least twice as big as ours. Heck I'd say the whole video screen is as big as our whole scoreboard including pinwheels etc. And I believe its in HD, if not it looks really good. We should look into an upgrade!!!!

I was reffering to the out of town scoreboard, not the jumbo tron in center. I think our jumbotron is fine, its HD, its big, and its new. I really would like to see and upgraded out of town scoreboard.

FightingBillini
04-13-2005, 01:18 AM
I was reffering to the out of town scoreboard, not the jumbo tron in center. I think our jumbotron is fine, its HD, its big, and its new. I really would like to see and upgraded out of town scoreboard.
I agree 100%, the out of town scoreboard needs to be replaced. If they arent gonna replace it, they should at least paint the damn thing green! Its still blue.
As for the main "scoreboard", I think it should be improved or replaced. The screen on it is fine. The only thing that bothers me is that it isnt actually a scoreboard anymore, there are no scores on it. Its just a videoboard, and that ain't cool. I think they should make the scoreboard much bigger, and put at least the in-game score on it. It would be nice if it was make like the original monster scoreboard in old Comiskey, with the out of town score on it. Besides there being no scores on the jumbo scoreboard anymore, it bothers me that some newer parks have bigger boards. The size of our scoreboard is the most distinguishing part the Cell, as it was for Comiskey. We need to have the biggest scoreboard in the world on 35th and Shields again.

johnny_mostil
04-13-2005, 08:38 AM

Especially drawing 10K to afternoon games in perfect weather with a first-place team (even if it is early).

gosox41
04-13-2005, 09:56 AM

Right now I'd be thrilled if the Sox can get to 2.2 mill let alone 2.9 million.

It's going to be a beautiful weekend this weekend so it would be nice to see some big crowds. Then Minnesota comes in and that's a division rivalry. Would it be too much to ask for more then 15K on a non-half price night against the 3 ime division champs?

Probably,

Bob

Lip Man 1
04-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Johnny:

Unlike Cub fans, White Sox fans tend to have to work for a living. That means it's hard to get the day off two days after you already requested a day off to go to opening day.

Lip

Blueprint1
04-13-2005, 02:00 PM
Johnny:

Unlike Cub fans, White Sox fans tend to have to work for a living. That means it's hard to get the day off two days after you already requested a day off to go to opening day.

Lip

I can only go to Thursday and sunday games. Looks like I am SOL alot of this season.

voodoochile
04-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Some of this may just be good economics. If they add in 6K more seats, it just adds to the idea that anyone can get tickets anytime they want. Creating scarcity (by limiting supply) is a good way of increasing demand (and shifting the curve) and eventually being able to increase supply AND prices to increase your revenue. It works for OPEC and for the diamond trade.

I imagine they revisit the idea in a few years if they can start drawing 2.5M on a regular basis.

ChiSoxRowand
04-13-2005, 04:46 PM
I like all of the new renovations except I am not too big a fan of the green seats. Pretty much every stadium in MLB has green seats, and the blue seats at the cell are different. I don't want the cell to have the same color of seats as pretty much every stadium in MLB.

oeo
04-13-2005, 05:12 PM
I like all of the new renovations except I am not too big a fan of the green seats. Pretty much every stadium in MLB has green seats, and the blue seats at the cell are different. I don't want the cell to have the same color of seats as pretty much every stadium in MLB.

So what? The stadium is going to look so much better with all green seats, just the bleachers look awesome already. They're going for the more retro look and I like it and it's not like we're the only team with blue seats.

Besides, after we win the World Series this year, we're not going to be able to tell what color the seats are as they all will be filled.

paciorek1983
04-13-2005, 10:42 PM

They may have been different, but diferent isn't always a good thing. I was disappointed when the blue seats were first installed, and I'm glad they are going.

Norberto7
04-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Pontiac?!?

Now I get it! I was WONDERING what the hell a car was doing up there when I saw it opening day!

LOL. Shades of Comerica Park.

Yeah, the sign said "Easy in, Easy out", and it really was, but man, that premium parking really costs ya.

A.T. Money
04-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Johnny:

Lip

No excuse. AT ALL.

C-Dawg
04-14-2005, 06:57 AM
They may have been different, but diferent isn't always a good thing. I was disappointed when the blue seats were first installed, and I'm glad they are going.

I'm glad too.... In areas where the park gets a lot of sun they are faded and just look tired.

RedHeadPaleHoser
04-14-2005, 08:01 AM

While other parks are doing the green, they're doing the green in the injection mold of the old blue seats - which is cookie cutter. Not only are we going green(as it always should have been), they're getting the old retro slat look, which is CLASSY.

The green, the brick facade, the new color scheme - we get some minor fixes to othe scoreboard(call it VeeckVision - Brooks???) and we got us our Comiskey back.

mrwag
04-14-2005, 08:34 AM
I think the dark green is a just a more natural, historic color for baseball. It feels warm and cozy, whereas the blue always felt more sterile, almost hospital like.

wdelaney72
04-14-2005, 09:36 AM
To me the Home Run porch would be a waste. I have no desire to sit in the outfield as it is, yet alone in an upper deck in the outfield.

paciorek1983
04-14-2005, 12:55 PM
I think the dark green is a just a more natural, historic color for baseball. It feels warm and cozy, whereas the blue always felt more sterile, almost hospital like.

yep:gulp: :supernana:

FightingBillini
04-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Exactly. The thing about green is, even when the park is empty, it looks good. It looks natural, and it just blends in to the background. When there are a few empty green seats, you dont notice. When there are a few empty blue seats, they stick out like a sore thumb. Look at the picture I posted from opening day. On the left side, the bleachers are green. There are plenty of empty spots, but you dont notice them. One the right there are blue seats, and every single seat screams "look at me! Im empty!".

Green just looks better. Even watching the game yesterday, there were loads and loads of empty seats at the Jake. However, it doesnt look bad like blue seats do. It just looks natural.

paciorek1983
04-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Exactly. The thing about green is, even when the park is empty, it looks good. It looks natural, and it just blends in to the background. When there are a few empty green seats, you dont notice. When there are a few empty blue seats, they stick out like a sore thumb. Look at the picture I posted from opening day. On the left side, the bleachers are green. There are plenty of empty spots, but you dont notice them. One the right there are blue seats, and every single seat screams "look at me! Im empty!".

Green just looks better. Even watching the game yesterday, there were loads and loads of empty seats at the Jake. However, it doesnt look bad like blue seats do. It just looks natural.

You're exactly right about that. You really don't notice empty green seats, but blue does stick out. I'm so glad they finally decided to make the change.

I remember in one of the orginal drawings of New Comiskey, which I have on a calendar, had green seats. When they started installing the seats in 1990, I was so disappointed they went with blue.