PDA

View Full Version : Holy Water in Flubs dugout!

Tom~Attitude
04-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Heard an interview this morning on the radio (WGN) with Dusty. The host knew of a friend of Mr. Dusty who claimed that she visited the Vatican last year and, as a favor to Baker, brought back three bottles of Holy Water blessed by the Pope. Dusty acknowledged that it was true and that he keeps it on hand in the dugout for special situations.

I could picture Dusty sprinkling it on Woods arm and Nomar's bat. Curse be gone!

Ol' No. 2
04-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Heard an interview this morning on the radio (WGN) with Dusty. The host knew of a friend of Mr. Dusty who claimed that she visited the Vatican last year and, as a favor to Baker, brought back three bottles of Holy Water blessed by the Pope. Dusty acknowledged that it was true and that he keeps it on hand in the dugout for special situations.

I could picture Dusty sprinkling it on Woods arm and Nomar's bat. Curse be gone!They'd better be BIG bottles.:tongue:

daveeym
04-12-2005, 05:05 PM
With the rainout today I thought this meant a flooded dugout and it was like the boy wonder saying "Holy Water in the dugout Batman."

cheeses_h_rice
04-12-2005, 05:21 PM
I haveta say, as an avowed agnostic with a heightened distaste for organized religion and the supposed paranormal events that pervade its mythology, that both Rick Telander and MacJurkoHarry are blowing this whole thing much too far out of proportion.

Yeah, the whole Holy-Water-to-cure-an-injury thing is dumb, but so what? Just let 'em do it. Ain't no harm in it.

daveeym
04-12-2005, 05:26 PM
I haveta say, as an avowed agnostic with a heightened distaste for organized religion and the supposed paranormal events that pervade its mythology, that both Rick Telander and MacJurkoHarry are blowing this whole thing much too far out of proportion.

Yeah, the whole Holy-Water-to-cure-an-injury thing is dumb, but so what? Just let 'em do it. Ain't no harm in it. Ah come on blowing cubs stuff out of proportion, say it ain't so. We blew up the ball now lets grill the goat.

hose
04-12-2005, 05:37 PM

Yeah, the whole Holy-Water-to-cure-an-injury thing is dumb, but so what? Just let 'em do it. Ain't no harm in it.

Only thing worse than a ex-smoker lecturing is an agnostic spouting their views.

batmanZoSo
04-12-2005, 05:38 PM
See when cub players stick their arm in a tub of that stuff, the hot sizzle creates a soothing arm spa. :cool:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-12-2005, 05:44 PM
It must be true - that stuff has been working wonders! With all this divine intervention, the Cubs have remained injury-free, and are poised to defend their World Series title.

Tekijawa
04-12-2005, 05:50 PM
Too bad for Dusty, God hates the Cubs!

Risk
04-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Too bad God hates the Cubs!

I don't remember where I saw it, but does anyone have that picture from a few years ago called "Blasphemy: In the unlikely event that God cares about baseball, its pretty obvious he doesn't give a **** about the Cubs," or something along those lines?

Pretty funny.

Risk

cheeses_h_rice
04-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Only thing worse than a ex-smoker lecturing is an agnostic spouting their views.

"Supposed paranormal events that pervade its mythology" = angels, Heaven, Hell, miracles, etc., none of which seem very feasible or plausible in my worldview.

Stay away from cigarettes, too. They'll kill ya.

:cheers:

ND_Sox_Fan
04-13-2005, 01:41 AM
You mean to tell me that the Messiah (Prior) didn't bless this stuff on his own??

jordan23ventura
04-13-2005, 05:41 AM

I completely agree with you on the first part. Not to go on a rant or anything here, but this whole holy water experiment doesn't seem to have been thought through adequately. Anyone who knows anything about the history of the Cubs organization is well aware that they will continue to lose no matter what happens, so either the lady giving out the water finds this to be a fun little joke and thereby doesn't take her faith seriously enough to warrant a trip to Vatican City, or she is an absolute believer in both God and the Cubs, and will be very disappointed to see that not even God gives a damn about the North Side Pantiwastes. Either way, I think the lesson that will be learned here is that you can blow up baseballs, walk around with goats all you want, sprinkle holy water on anything that you see fit, even clone more Jim Hendrys if you like, but the bottom line is this: the Cubs always have sucked, always will suck, and nothing in anyones far reaching imagination will ever change the fact that they suck.

jordan23ventura
04-13-2005, 05:44 AM

There's one thing: a new lecturer lecturing another lecturer about his lectures.

hose
04-13-2005, 06:31 AM
There's one thing: a new lecturer lecturing another lecturer about his lectures.

preach on there buddy

Erik The Red
04-13-2005, 06:55 AM
I completely agree with you on the first part. Not to go on a rant or anything here, but this whole holy water experiment doesn't seem to have been thought through adequately. Anyone who knows anything about the history of the Cubs organization is well aware that they will continue to lose no matter what happens, so either the lady giving out the water finds this to be a fun little joke and thereby doesn't take her faith seriously enough to warrant a trip to Vatican City, or she is an absolute believer in both God and the Cubs, and will be very disappointed to see that not even God gives a damn about the North Side Pantiwastes. Either way, I think the lesson that will be learned here is that you can blow up baseballs, walk around with goats all you want, sprinkle holy water on anything that you see fit, even clone more Jim Hendrys if you like, but the bottom line is this: the Cubs always have sucked, always will suck, and nothing in anyones far reaching imagination will ever change the fact that they suck.

http://www.jimpoz.com/quotes/images/speakers/miller-d.jpg

"But that's just my opinion..... I could be wrong."

SaltyPretzel
04-13-2005, 09:27 AM
I thought the Cubs' luck was going to change when they brought to goat back into Wrigley. No wait, when they blew up the baseball. No wait, when they served the baseball in pasta at Harry Carry's...blah blah blah :mad:

Palehose Pete
04-13-2005, 11:16 AM
You mean to tell me that the Messiah (Prior) didn't bless this stuff on his own??

LOL

I woke up this morning to find several articles in the local papers about how the Cubs are already imploding and couple of articles about how the 5-2 Sox haven't even peaked, yet. Ahhhh... it's good to be a Sox fan.

mantis1212
04-13-2005, 11:38 AM

I agree with you as I am also an agnostic person. I haven't heard any sports blab about it so I don't know how they're reacting, but I can understand how a person of Catholic faith would be offended by this- especially since Dusty isn't Catholic. Who the hell is he to use their religious stuff for his freakin' pitchers?? Like that one motivational poster said, god obviously doesn't give a **** about the cubs.

LongLiveFisk
04-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Dusty acknowledged that it was true and that he keeps it on hand in the dugout for special situations.

My God, when you haven't won in almost a hundred years, shouldn't every game be a "special occasion"?? :?:

SOXSINCE'70
04-13-2005, 03:37 PM
If Crusty Faker can do this,I,as a good Jew,volunteer to fly to
Cleveland and rub some Mogen David wine on Scott Podsednik's groin.:roflmao:

I will also fly to Arizona and rub Mogen David on Frank's ankle. :roflmao:

Rocklive99
04-13-2005, 03:39 PM
I remember B and B talking about a couple years ago that he went to the Urinal early one morning, and sprinkled a whole bunch of stuff around the stadium. They were saying that it might have been the ashes of Bobby Bonds or someone, maybe it was holy water