PDA

View Full Version : I've never heard this one before (Random Thoughts, if you will)

SoxFan76
04-12-2005, 02:14 PM
So I'm in class today, these 3 Cub fans are talking about how they don't hate the Sox, they hate the fans. I listen in to hear their reason, the one guy says Sox fans are fairweather fans!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, I lost it. I was kinda embarassed afterwards, because the prof was trying to teach. But this guy actually said Sox fans are fairweather fans. I could not believe it. I threw some facts out at him, which shut him up pretty quickly. (basically how the Sox outdrew the Cubs as recently as 93) But wow, I was really mad the entire class. I get waaaay too worked up over baseball. haha

C-Dawg
04-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Cub fans think losing is loveable. Sox fans don't.

cheeses_h_rice
04-12-2005, 02:42 PM
All professional sports teams have fans who could be considered fairweather -- attendance almost always rises when a team does well.

The Flubs, if they weren't playing in God's Stadium, and in that neighborhood, would see similar fluctuations in crowd sizes. As I've said all along, you take the Sox and Flubs and switch where they play, and suddenly the Sox would seem a hell of a lot more popular. Huh, wonder why?

D. TODD
04-12-2005, 02:55 PM
I don't think either teams fans start off hating the other team. Both teams are in different leagues, and until inter-league play never really faced each other. The hatred comes from hearing the crap from the other teams fans, which turns into a hatred of the other team. Cub fans have tons of casual baseball fans who are often the loudest idiots who rant about the "cubbies" and against the Sox! This is what fuels the fire. I know these Sox fan exist,and that may be what your classmates were referring to as hating Sox fans. It is defiantly a case of the pot calling the kettle black though, if that is their complaint.

Ol' No. 2
04-12-2005, 03:37 PM
All professional sports teams have fans who could be considered fairweather -- attendance almost always rises when a team does well.

The Flubs, if they weren't playing in God's Stadium, and in that neighborhood, would see similar fluctuations in crowd sizes. As I've said all along, you take the Sox and Flubs and switch where they play, and suddenly the Sox would seem a hell of a lot more popular. Huh, wonder why?If you make a graph of attendance vs. winning percentage for both the Cubs and Sox (going back to 1960), you find a remarkable correlation (who knew?). There are quite a few cases of good teams with poor attendance for both the Cubs and Sox, but no cases of poor teams with good attendance...until about 1984. From that point on, you have two instances of poor-performing Sox teams with good attendance figures (1984-high expectations, and 1991-new stadium). But from 1984 on, the Cubs attendance has been high EVERY YEAR regardless of record.

What watershed event occured at this time that could have accounted for this remarkable shift from previous patterns? (Hint: The Tribune bought the Cubs in 1981).

DumpJerry
04-12-2005, 05:05 PM
I get the fairweather malarkey all the time from Flub fans. They tell me that we only support the team when it does well, abandon the Sox when they start losing. One example I get all the time is April and May attendance. I point out that the Sox draw many more families with kids than the Flubs and school does not get out until June, so kiddies can't be out until 10:00 on school night the first two months except on Saturday nights (Fridays, the kids are too tired).

I also point out that Sox fans do not blindly reward mediocre play. You win, we come. That is the incentive Sox fans gives the players and management to win. I tell the fools that by selling out each and every game, the Tribune Company can minimize expenses since they have maximized sales. Minimized expenses means having one or two marquee players (Sosa, Garcianpara, Prior) who will give the fans something to talk about while they are not noticing the team is not winning. The Sox main marquee player over the last decade or has been Frank and whenever we talk about him, Flub fans claim he is a prima donna. However, ask a Flub fan what crime Frank has committed and the conversation becomes as silent as a reminiscence of personal memories of the Flubs' last winning World Series. Frank has not done anything to deserve the bad rap.

So, fellow members of the Sox Army, when you encounter this misguided thinking, remind the young fools that: a) The kids are in school until June, b) we don't reward mediocre play and c) we know more about baseball.

SoxBoy14
04-12-2005, 10:09 PM
Growing up in the '70's you had 2 choices on a warm sunny summer day: 1) stay inside and watch the Flubs get whipped every day in front of [this is true] usually about 6000 fans; or 2) go to the park and play ball or go to the pool and hang out with girls in bikinis and then at night have your older brother take you to Comiskey Park where on an average night you saw a good ballgame and sang take-me-out-to-the-ballgame with Harry and Jimmy. For a youngster, there was no choice. I am happy to report that all 3 of our kids [including Soxboy14 who doesn't know I'm writing this] and most of his friends are Sox fans. One Sox World Series win would topple the Flub-Cubune deck of cards. I pray 2005 is the year.

Dan H
04-13-2005, 09:41 AM
All I can say is that Cub fans continue to blindly support a team that scalps tickets, blames the media for all its problems and puts a bad team on the field. Their heroes are two whining pitchers and, until recently, a guy who claims he saved baseball. I think that's enough said.