PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Skyline

AJPosguchi
04-12-2005, 02:06 PM
I noticed last nigth on Baseball tonight that the outfield at Shea Stadium had been groomed to display the New York skyline - thought it was very cool.

Anybody have any thoughts that the Sox should try the same thing at the Cell (with the Chicago skyline of course). It might at least get some positive press.

Cellview22
04-12-2005, 02:13 PM
There's no way they could do it. The way it is right now, you can see the skyline if you're in the upper deck facing north. I took this picture last year, the view from there is pretty sweet! http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/4images/details.php?image_id=493

cbrownson13
04-12-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, they'd have to turn the park around the way Old Comiskey used to face.

AJPosguchi
04-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Maybe I should be more specific... the outfield grass was groomed to resemble the New York skyline.

GregoryEtc
04-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Maybe I should be more specific... the outfield grass was groomed to resemble the New York skyline.

I saw it too... looked AWESOME! But I'm afraid our beloved Roger Bossard would have trouble with anything that detailed. I was watching him out there on All Star Weekend just trying to get the simple star shape in centerfield and he was having a dickens of a time out there. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Roger Bossard fan... but an artist he is not. :)

batmanZoSo
04-12-2005, 02:26 PM
The Red Sox have their freakin logo mowed into the infield. That is so cool, I don't know how they do that.

I always liked when teams would mow rays of sun beaming out from home plate that get wider in the outfield. Roger could easily do that, it doesn't take any artistry to do.

Kogs35
04-12-2005, 02:31 PM
I saw it too... looked AWESOME! But I'm afraid our beloved Roger Bossard would have trouble with anything that detailed. I was watching him out there on All Star Weekend just trying to get the simple star shape in centerfield and he was having a dickens of a time out there. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Roger Bossard fan... but an artist he is not. :)

Who doesn't love the Sod Father?

FightingBillini
04-12-2005, 02:40 PM

I dont know about that. I think he is just a perfectionist, and he probably went over that star over and over again to get it right. He is the best in the bussiness, he could do it if he wanted.
BTW, for anyone who saw parts of the NY-BOS game yesteday, the field at Fenway looked GREAT. Roger put a new field in there 11 inches below the former field level. It has the same drainage system as the Cell and other new parks Roger helped design. The field at Fenway NEVER looked this good before- it was never even close. I am anxious to see RFK during a game. Roger installed the field at RFK also.
I read a story about RFK in which they interviewed Roger Bossard about the field. He said that every groundskeeper has his own style, and his was the vertical lines. They never due anything else at the Cell, which is why the lines always look perfect. It would be fun to see the park with different designs on the grass every so often, but Im not complaining.

Batmanzoso - the Red Sox only had their logo on the infield for the playoffs. It wasnt there yesterday. But I agree, it looked very classy.

elrod
04-12-2005, 02:44 PM
The reason the Mets etched the NY skyline into the grass is that the skyline is, and has always been, part of the Mets logo. And notice it's the skyline of midtown, with the Empire State Building, not downtown with the former World Trade Center. However, inside the stadium they used to have a full skyline silhouette and after 9/11 they kept the twin towers dark. It was very moving, in my opinion, as I am a lifelong Mets fan (in addition to the White Sox, of course) and I used to go up to the WTC roof as a kid.

GregoryEtc
04-12-2005, 02:51 PM
I dont know about that. I think he is just a perfectionist, and he probably went over that star over and over again to get it right.

Ya, he was out there for like 30-45 minutes and it still looked a little off... the top point was too small.

I don't think ANYONE would disagree with you that Bossard is the best stadium groundskeeper in the country if not the world but I don't think this falls into that category. And I'm sure if you asked any of the players if they'd rather play on a Bossard outfield or on someone else's outfield with a nifty design, there's no question.

But part of me still is a little jealous of Boston because they've had some cool designs out there... Maybe someone here can find us some pictures of some of the cooler infield/outfield designs.

Fenway
04-12-2005, 02:57 PM
The Red Sox have their freakin logo mowed into the infield. That is so cool, I don't know how they do that.

I always liked when teams would mow rays of sun beaming out from home plate that get wider in the outfield. Roger could easily do that, it doesn't take any artistry to do.

article explains how the Boston guy does it

MELLOR A MOWER MASTER (http://docs.newsbank.com/openurl?ctx_ver=z39.88-2004&rft_id=info:sid/iw.newsbank.com:NewsBank:BGBK&rft_val_format=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:ctx&rft_dat=0EC477465EB5AE0D&svc_dat=InfoWeb:aggregated4&req_dat=0F40413B3B2D7D5C)

Spicoli
04-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Having worked the grounds crew for a university, I can tell you it is not that difficult to put those designs in the grass. But it might be for baseball reasons that he chooses not to, especially in the infield. The process involves bending the grass; thus, if the grass is going every which way, it might cause an unexpected roll or even a hop on an infield grounder, for example. The lack of any designs may be for the players' sake, more than for any other reason. If he is consistent, then the players can learn the field and, hence, give them a true home field advantage.

GregoryEtc
04-12-2005, 03:39 PM
This is the only change Roger needs to make to the field...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2683

Rocklive99
04-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Yeah, that was very cool

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/NYGB10104111837.jpeg

I want Mags back
04-12-2005, 04:47 PM
http://img153.exs.cx/img153/2477/63496121ft.jpg

I love our dark and light green horizontal lights all around

skobabe8
04-12-2005, 07:27 PM
I used to try and make designs in my own yard when my dad made me cut the grass. It took me usually like an extra hour, but it always looked pretty cool to have a checkerboard front yard. :smile: Plus, my dad thought it was cool.

ssidebeatdown
04-12-2005, 07:54 PM
skobabe...how did u do that w. ur lawn?

FightingBillini
04-12-2005, 08:31 PM
This is the only change Roger needs to make to the field...
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2683
I like the sentiment, but for the love of God! Get a new picture of the park. It looks nothing like that now. But then again, if you check ESPN and many other sites, they all have pitcures circa 1998. They wont put up modern pics of the Cell. On the other hand, they always have pics from like 98 instead of 91, so the park is ALWAYS empty in pictures on other sports websites.

Rocklive99
04-12-2005, 08:56 PM
I heard this is the plan for April 29th

http://img153.echo.cx/img153/8884/vsdet7ia.jpg

FightingBillini
04-12-2005, 08:57 PM
I heard this is the plan for April 29th
Crude... but nice.:cool:

skobabe8
04-12-2005, 08:59 PM
skobabe...how did u do that w. ur lawn?

Its kinda hard to explain, but everytime you cut the row vertical, you have to make a cut horizontal. So for a square patch of grass, you start in one corner and cut vertically. When I hit the end, I would walk the mower down the driveway to that exact same starting spot, and this time go horizontally. Then walk the mower back to the end of the original vertical cut, and go back down vertically. Then back to the horizontal.

Like I said, It sounds confusing, but its really not. I tried to do stars in the grass and it was kinda sloppy. I used to like to do half vertical/half horizontal, or sometimes a big diamond, or a wavy pattern. Its cool to experiment, if you have the time and patience. Its also good for the grass to always cut it different directions like the guy in the article said. Plus, its a great way to get a good tan!

zach074
04-12-2005, 09:45 PM
If the sox make the playoffs i will mow Go Sox into my yard, I don't know how to do it like these guys do so i will only cut in the letters and leave everything else long.

Brian26
04-12-2005, 09:55 PM
Batmanzoso - the Red Sox only had their logo on the infield for the playoffs. It wasnt there yesterday. But I agree, it looked very classy.

I'm pretty sure the Red Sox logo was in their infield for the entire season last year.

FightingBillini
04-12-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty sure the Red Sox logo was in their infield for the entire season last year.

No, it wasnt. They have done it in the past, but never for an extended period of time. It was always a checkerboard pattern during the regular season.