PDA

View Full Version : Freddy Garcia and Day Starts

DaleJRFan
04-12-2005, 02:01 PM
Question.. on Baseball Tonight Monday night, they were recapping the Indians home opener and discussed Freddy's preformance during day games, versus his performance during night games. He was 9-0 in day game starts last season and was effective yesterday in his day start in Cleveland. Then the jackass host (forget his name) made some comment about the White Sox questioning Garcia's night life. Is this bogus or does Freddy have a Mark Grace type reputation for rockin' the town the night before a game??

Just curious. I know I shouldn't take things seriously that are said on that show, but it irked me a little that they weren't focusing on the fact that Sox starting rotation has, so far this season, dominated an Indian offense the Baseball Tonight staff picked to "be big" and win the central.

Thanks.

Rocklive99
04-12-2005, 02:03 PM
I think in Seattle he had a rep for liking his alcohol, but the way the host said it, wouldn't he then be bad in day games (Unless he's on the David Wells/Babe Ruth plan)

jabrch
04-12-2005, 02:09 PM
When Freddy was in seattle he had a reputation for enjoying the nightlife quite a bit.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/text/2001925237_mari11.html

This is just one article, but there were many times his name was tied to excessive partying and that people said it may have impacted his pitching.

cbrownson13
04-12-2005, 02:14 PM
I don't get it. How would "liking the nightlife" make him do better in day games than night games? Wouldn't it be vice versa?

Paulwny
04-12-2005, 02:15 PM
If he drinks and parties late at night/ early morning you'd think that would affect his day game pitching, tired, hung-over.

DaleJRFan
04-12-2005, 02:21 PM
If he drinks and parties late at night/ early morning you'd think that would affect his day game pitching, tired, hung-over.

Yea, this is exactly what I don't get. If they (Baseball Tonight) are trying to make a point mentioning his nightlife habits/reputation, it shouldn't be an inverse relationship.

PAPChiSox729
04-12-2005, 02:26 PM
As long as they produce on the field, I am not really going to question their lifestyle off of the field unless it is something pretty strange or harmful (i.e. Steroids, urine hands). Let Freddy go out and pitch.

GiveMeSox
04-12-2005, 02:30 PM
As long as they produce on the field, I am not really going to question their lifestyle off of the field unless it is something pretty strange or harmful (i.e. Steroids, urine hands). Let Freddy go out and pitch.

I could care less what players do on their own time as long as they go out and play hard and do everything they can to win. As longs as what they do isn't illegal or anything they are free to do what they wish with their lives, just dont let it effect your on field performance and sox fans will have no problem.

FightingBillini
04-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Yea, this is exactly what I don't get. If they (Baseball Tonight) are trying to make a point mentioning his nightlife habits/reputation, it shouldn't be an inverse relationship.

Nah. Hey, maybe id Freddy drinks until noon, he will still be fresh for the night games.

nebraskasox
04-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Isn't Freddy married now to Ozzie's niece? Marriage tends to have a stabilizing effect on guys who like to party. Plus he would be part of Ozzie's family, another relationship he wouldn't want to jeopardize by excessive indulgence.

batmanZoSo
04-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Isn't Freddy married now to Ozzie's niece? Marriage tends to have a stabilizing effect on guys who like to party. Plus he would be part of Ozzie's family, another relationship he wouldn't want to jeopardize by excessive indulgence.

:ozzie
Ay sancho...daddy's got a new forty-fi'...

SOXSINCE'70
04-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Freddy Garcia is now 10-0 in day games dating back to
September,2003.Now if he could only work on night games.:D: :D: :D:

:ozzie
"Freddy is a good 'keed'.We will score runs for him.
Fung is winning and winning is fung".:D: :D:

jackbrohamer
04-12-2005, 05:12 PM
It's not worth the effort really, but the media mouths are pretty quick to come to the conclusion that the 10-0 stat means he pitches better BECAUSE it's daytime. I haven't seen anyone break down who the 10 wins came against, how many games were at home & other factors. May just be a coincidence.