PDA

View Full Version : Lets give Shingo a chance!

HawkISox
04-12-2005, 09:47 AM
The guy had one bad game...He still has 3 saves this year...He had a good year last year. I don't understand why everyone is clamoring for another closer at this point. Trevor Hoffman's don't fall off trees. I remember Foulke blowing some games, especially against the Twins.

mikehuff
04-12-2005, 09:52 AM
I think Guillen is doing a good job getting his confidence back without putting the team in danger. Guillen has put him in for his last two outings with 2 outs in the 9th. I still believe in Shingo and he has obviously shown that he is a good pitcher. Even Gagne has blown games. Too early to complain with a first place team and a closer who very rarely blows one.

Infallible
04-12-2005, 10:34 AM
I think the reason people are uneasy with Shingo is the same reason they were uneasy with Foulke. They are not your A-typical closer. They don't see them come in with blazing hot fastballs moving this way and that. They see the slow stuff and think, "uh oh, hell I can even hit that....." when in reality nothing can be further from the truth. So give Shingo a chance? Sure, its like he stated last year...."I'm not sure why people are surprised, I did the same in Japan for many years......" I realize Japan is not the same as the ML's; he knows his job and until proven consistently otherwise, the job is his.

WSox8404
04-12-2005, 10:58 AM
He should be fine. With him it is all location. If the hitter knows the frisbee is coming and it ends up right down the middle, then it will be crushed. But if it is down and away, he will most likely whiff. Location, Location, Location.

PatK
04-12-2005, 11:14 AM
He should be fine. With him it is all location. If the hitter knows the frisbee is coming and it ends up right down the middle, then it will be crushed. But if it is down and away, he will most likely whiff. Location, Location, Location.

That's correct.

He doesn't have stuff that he can blow right past you. He needs to pick his spots.

When he's off, it's trouble.

ChiSoxRowand
04-12-2005, 12:06 PM
I say we stick with Shingo, the guy has been great ever since he got here. If he fails we can always go to Vizcaino and Hermansen.

24thStFan
04-12-2005, 12:23 PM
Shingo will be fine over the long haul. As mikehuff mentioned, Ozzie has done a good job "re-booting" Shingo. Maybe we're seeing Ozzie develop a little as manager here.

Foulke You
04-12-2005, 12:38 PM
I think Guillen is doing a good job getting his confidence back without putting the team in danger. Guillen has put him in for his last two outings with 2 outs in the 9th. I still believe in Shingo and he has obviously shown that he is a good pitcher. Even Gagne has blown games. Too early to complain with a first place team and a closer who very rarely blows one.

I agree 100% with you about Guillen being smart about easing Shingo in after that disasterous blown save. He has now successfully ended two games by getting 1 batter, and the last one was against the team that got to him. This is very smart because the last thing you want is for Shingo to start doubting his ability. I now feel very good about the next time Ozzie goes to Shingo in the 9th to nail one down for us.

TDog
04-12-2005, 12:49 PM
Dave Campbell on the radio Sunday night (the only live baseball I get is Sunday Mariners games and ESPN Sunday Night baseball, both on radio) was noting the large number of blown saves by closers and set-up men big and small. He believes the top bullpen guys don't bet enough work in spring training because managers want to save their innings for the long season.

I honestly don't know if that's the case with Shingo.

CubKiller5
04-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Dave Campbell on the radio Sunday night (the only live baseball I get is Sunday Mariners games and ESPN Sunday Night baseball, both on radio) was noting the large number of blown saves by closers and set-up men big and small. He believes the top bullpen guys don't bet enough work in spring training because managers want to save their innings for the long season.

I honestly don't know if that's the case with Shingo.

I don't think it is. I think Shingo ranks amongst the best short men in the game today. Guys good for about 3-4 hitters tops a game. But any more than that & he becomes much easier to hit. I think Ozzie's realizing this so he's not afraid to split the 9th between Shingo & Marte.

The best thing about that is Shingo's such a team player he doesn't mind it.

patbooyah
04-12-2005, 12:58 PM
i think that ozzie just needs to do a better job realizing when shingo is off. maybe, say, after the second homer and before the third. :cool:

but don't you forget- i love the guy.

Mohoney
04-12-2005, 01:09 PM
The guy has saves in 3 of our first 5 wins, including the Opening Day gem thrown by Buehrle in which he saved a 1-0 lead and looked great doing it.

If he gets 3 or 4 more saves this month, which I think is a gimme, that puts him on pace to save 35+, maybe 40+ games for us.

Ol' No. 2
04-12-2005, 01:20 PM
i think that ozzie just needs to do a better job realizing when shingo is off. maybe, say, after the second homer and before the third. :cool:

but don't you forget- i love the guy.It all happened pretty fast. Was Vizcaino warmed up and ready by the time the third dinger was launched?

daveeym
04-12-2005, 01:23 PM

but don't you forget- i love the guy. Agreed. Shingo's a professional that's been doing this for how many fricking years? 10? He doesn't need to be weaned back into it after a blown save, he's blown em before and he'll blow more in the future, the armchair managers are ridiculous. Everyone has a bad day and as you said it's ozzie's job to realize when that's occurring and get him out.

elrod
04-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Dave Campbell is exactly right. Every year the top closers blow a save or two in the first two weeks and then settle down and don't blow another one for several months. Mariano Rivera, Trevor Hoffman, Tim Worrell, Braden Looper - all have had atrocious meltdowns already and all will recover (not to mention Bob Wickman, who might end up decent too). This is very common in the beginning of the season. If Shingo is still blowing 3-run save opportunities in May then I'll start worrying. But not now.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-12-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't get the thread. Who ISN'T giving Shingo a chance?