PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Off-Day

BankHoldUp
04-12-2005, 03:09 AM
Maybe I'm alone but I hate the off-days in the middle of a series. Point of fact I hate all of the White Sox off-days because I look forward to the games everyday. A scheduled off-day is necessary however, I realize, but not in the middle of a series. Heard Farmer today give the explanation that this particular off-day was scheduled in case the Indians home opener was rained out today. Excuse me for not being totally satisfied with that answer. Enough of this nonsense with MLB overhyping these home openers that are a week and sometimes more after the season started! On the off chance it was rained out, I doubt being able to play the game on this Tuesday off-day would help most of the people who had long ago made plans (getting off work, school, etc.) to attend a Monday opener. Breaking up a 3 game series into 4 days is impractical and kills any momentum individual series are designed to create. Monday's game was great from a fan standpoint, just a good baseball game (the result didn't hurt either), so much so that I can't wait to see the Sox and Tribe go at it again. Unfortunately I have to wait until Wednesday to do that. If you want some buzz to be created around the actual baseball being played on the field MLB, stop scheduling off-days in the middle of a series! I've said my peace and now I feel better.

peeonwrigley
04-12-2005, 04:42 AM
Maybe I'm alone but I hate the off-days in the middle of a series. Point of fact I hate all of the White Sox off-days because I look forward to the games everyday. A scheduled off-day is necessary however, I realize, but not in the middle of a series. Heard Farmer today give the explanation that this particular off-day was scheduled in case the Indians home opener was rained out today. Excuse me for not being totally satisfied with that answer. Enough of this nonsense with MLB overhyping these home openers that are a week and sometimes more after the season started! On the off chance it was rained out, I doubt being able to play the game on this Tuesday off-day would help most of the people who had long ago made plans (getting off work, school, etc.) to attend a Monday opener. Breaking up a 3 game series into 4 days is impractical and kills any momentum individual series are designed to create. Monday's game was great from a fan standpoint, just a good baseball game (the result didn't hurt either), so much so that I can't wait to see the Sox and Tribe go at it again. Unfortunately I have to wait until Wednesday to do that. If you want some buzz to be created around the actual baseball being played on the field MLB, stop scheduling off-days in the middle of a series! I've said my peace and now I feel better.

Preach on brother.

TDog
04-12-2005, 04:46 AM
The difference between the opening day gate and the game-after-opening-day gate can be substantial. KC drew more than 40,000 Monday for the home opener. Tough to figure why people would turn out so big after such a horrible season without any promise for immediate improvement, but it WAS opening day. KC won't draw half that for their next game. KC might not draw half of half that for the next game. White Sox game two attendance was about one-third or less of game one.

Really, it doesn't seem fair for the the Sox to play a night game and come out for a day game the next day in another city, but don't blow off the importance of having a two-day window for opening day.

The Sox won. Enjoy the opportunity to think happy thoughts.

BankHoldUp
04-12-2005, 05:19 AM
Touche about your opening day points TDog...however...As with virtually every home opener across MLB most tickets are sold in advance. I didn't see a walkup figure for Monday's game, but I do know the Indians announcers were reporting the game as a virtual sellout last week during the Sox series (watched a Cleveland broadcast on the TV package). At any rate, if Monday's game were rained out then the team could just package a Tuesday game as the opener and try to build some walkups that way. After all, the tickets for a Monday opener are already sold regardless of whether the game is played. If anything, the Indians would benefit from a rained out Monday opener (if the traditional 3 games in 3 days format was used) because it would potentially drive up sales for a Tuesday game, plus the fans that already bought tickets for a Monday rainout would get tickets for another day thereby putting people in the seats during games they might not have otherwise been there for (good for parking, concessions, etc.). I've given this a lot of thought as MLB does this every year and every year it bothers me. It isn't at all necessary.

Bobbo35
04-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Ya, I hate off days as well. Especially when they are playing a 3-game series and take a day off in the middle of it. It seems to throw the Sox off.

anewman35
04-12-2005, 08:21 AM
Touche about your opening day points TDog...however...As with virtually every home opener across MLB most tickets are sold in advance. I didn't see a walkup figure for Monday's game, but I do know the Indians announcers were reporting the game as a virtual sellout last week during the Sox series (watched a Cleveland broadcast on the TV package). At any rate, if Monday's game were rained out then the team could just package a Tuesday game as the opener and try to build some walkups that way. After all, the tickets for a Monday opener are already sold regardless of whether the game is played. If anything, the Indians would benefit from a rained out Monday opener (if the traditional 3 games in 3 days format was used) because it would potentially drive up sales for a Tuesday game, plus the fans that already bought tickets for a Monday rainout would get tickets for another day thereby putting people in the seats during games they might not have otherwise been there for (good for parking, concessions, etc.). I've given this a lot of thought as MLB does this every year and every year it bothers me. It isn't at all necessary.

The problem is that if people bought tickets for opening day, and then you tell them that they don't have opening day tickets anymore, they'd be very unhappy (especially in places where the games mostly sell out anyway). I'm actually surprised MLB cares, since it's not like MLB to care who they upset, but it makes sense.

SaltyPretzel
04-12-2005, 08:24 AM
The dreaded off day isn't that dreaded when you win the first game. :gulp:

mikehuff
04-12-2005, 09:02 AM
I think most off days are earlier in the season because April always has such crap weather. There's more of a chance for rain in the beginning of the season.

This will help though because of Podsednik's injury. It's great to be able to give him a day off to help him out. Hopefully it was just the cold weather that contributed to his strain and that this won't be anything nagging. But being able to have a full day of rest is very valuable.

Jurr
04-12-2005, 09:11 AM
I think most off days are earlier in the season because April always has such crap weather. There's more of a chance for rain in the beginning of the season.

This will help though because of Podsednik's injury. It's great to be able to give him a day off to help him out. Hopefully it was just the cold weather that contributed to his strain and that this won't be anything nagging. But being able to have a full day of rest is very valuable.

Yup. Pods will get a full day of treatment, which will help immensely for a minor strain, and the Sox players probably all got really tanked last night. They deserve those breaks to hang out and build more unity. I'll tell you what. The Sox have lost two games so far this season and have bounced back both times in strong fashion. That's a great early sign that they've got a good collective focus. Having the two Cubans together, having some DR guys on the same team, and bringing Iguchi in to be around Shingo almost ensures that nobody is without a good buddy to have on the team. That makes chemistry even better. Gotta love it.

DSpivack
04-12-2005, 11:59 AM
wasn't there a thread on this exact topic for our home opener?

Fake Chet Lemon
04-12-2005, 02:02 PM
No, wrong in this case. We played a night game Sunday on the road, and traveled to Cleveland for a Day game. Excellent timing on the day off for the Sox. Especially with Podzilla's tweak, an added bonus.

Iwritecode
04-12-2005, 02:06 PM
wasn't there a thread on this exact topic for our home opener?

Yes, and the reasoning behind it was explained then as well...

How hard is it to understand that April weather in the midwest is so unpredictable that we never know if it's going to be sunny and 70 or we'll get a foot of snow?

Sometimes we do get that on back to back days. :(:

Palehose13
04-12-2005, 02:10 PM

That and maybe because they guys really aren't quite in "season form" yet.

batmanZoSo
04-12-2005, 02:13 PM
This sucks because I finally have a day off where I don't have to do anything and of course they're not playing. Tomorrow of course I have school and work, so I won't get to watch the whole game. It's all part of baseball in April, it doesn't cater to most people's lives. Once we get into a groove of 7 o clock starts every night it's all good, but I always hate April.