PDA

View Full Version : Who are the greatest presentday Sox Killers?

swanson24
04-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Watching Kevin Millwood in two games this season against the White Sox has left me with two conclusions: 1) That the Indians vs. Sox games this season will be close and down to the last pitch and 2) that Kevin Milwood has joined the elite ranks of Jim Thome, Ronnie Belliard, Vladimer Guerrero and Joe Mays as players who excel against the White Sox. My question is who are some of the players in MLB today who continue to frustrate the Sox and their die hard fans?

FightingBillini
04-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Two of the biggest, Dye and Pierzynski, are on the team now.

Other than them, Bobby Higginson, Mike Sweeny, "Mr. Mediocre" Torii Hunter, and of course Brad Radke. There are so many. Most of the guys thar kill us are mediocre players who seem to get most of their homers in any given year against the Sox.

batmanZoSo
04-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Watching Kevin Millwood in two games this season against the White Sox has left me with two conclusions: 1) That the Indians vs. Sox games this season will be close and down to the last pitch and 2) that Kevin Milwood has joined the elite ranks of Jim Thome, Ronnie Belliard, Vladimer Guerrero and Joe Mays as players who excel against the White Sox. My question is who are some of the players in MLB today who continue to frustrate the Sox and their die hard fans?

Millwood did pitch two great games, but he lost both of em. Let's slow down a bit there.

Going by the last few years, the Sox are their own killers, but I'd have to say Hunter, Lew Ford, and Belliard are three guys I wouldn't mind arranging to be kidnapped for the duration of the season. :cool:

Whitesox029
04-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Joe Randa's reign as a Sox Killer has just ended...maybe he'll become a Cub killer now. I hated him as a Royal for this reason but now that he's in Cincy he really reminds me of Robin Ventura in a lot of ways.
EDIT:
Randa vs Sox
463 AB 126 Games (1st)
10 HR 2nd (11 vs. Cleveland)
58 RBI 2nd (69 vs. Cleveland)
.285 AVG (2nd among divisional rivals; .324 in 94 AB vs Detroit)
You learn something new every day! I had NO IDEA that Randa was with KC in '95 and '96 before going to Pittsburgh in '97 and Detroit in '98, and then returning to KC in '99. I thought he was a career Royal.

swanson24
04-11-2005, 08:29 PM
Maybe I was a bit hasty to put Millwood up there on that list but our hitters did not look to comfortable at the plate against Millwood.
The results of the game are ultimately what matters most. I am glad we pulled out the win and spoiled The Tribe's home opener.

cheeses_h_rice
04-11-2005, 08:31 PM
Torii Hunter is a Sox killer. He always comes up with the big hit.

In the past, the Royals always seemed to have a couple, but most of them have moved on to other teams (see Randa, Joe). Same with Thome.

As for pitchers, it seems that the Sox have gotten over their mental block with respect to mediocre guys like "Cy" Mays, but I'm probably forgetting someone...

Brian26
04-11-2005, 08:32 PM
In the past:

Rusty Greer and Lee Stevens owned us.

Brian26
04-11-2005, 08:33 PM
As for pitchers, it seems that the Sox have gotten over their mental block with respect to mediocre guys like "Cy" Mays, but I'm probably forgetting someone...

Don't forget "Cy" Magnate.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-11-2005, 08:42 PM
Bobby Kielty sticks out in my mind. Used to kill us when he was with the Twins, and then was traded to the Blue Jays for Shannon Stewart(Another guy who has a knack for killing the Sox) and then traded to Oakland. He hit .214 for the A's last year, and probably most of his offensive production came against the White Sox. One specific thing I can remember is a HR in extra innings off of Billy Koch last season. :angry:

gobears1987
04-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Carlos Beltran was. THank GOd he isn't in the AL. He killed Marte opening day last year.

swanson24
04-11-2005, 09:05 PM
It seems like there are more hitters on the Sox Killer List than pitchers. That was a good point. Personally, I am glad we picked up A.J. because he stuck out in my mind as a Six killer. I was at Soxfest in line for his autograph. When he signed the autograph I told him to kick the twins butt. He laughed and seemed pretty cool.

Thanks for the posts so far.

Lip Man 1
04-11-2005, 09:18 PM
Six big ones...

Joe 'Cy' Mays..
Mike Sweeney...
Joe Randa....
C.C. Sabathia....
Bobby Higgenson.....
Randy Johnson....(the Sox could not beat him when he was with Seattle...)

Lip

batmanZoSo
04-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Six big ones...

Joe 'Cy' Mays..
Mike Sweeney...
Joe Randa....
C.C. Sabathia....
Bobby Higgenson.....
Randy Johnson....(the Sox could not beat him when he was with Seattle...)

Lip

I don't think Johnson counts, he's pretty much an MLB killer all around.

soltrain21
04-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Carlos Guillen beat the hell out of us last year for the Tigers.

jcirish85
04-11-2005, 09:36 PM
I have to say Torii Hunter. He always comes up with a big hit or big catch against the Sox. Then last year, he baseically took the air out of the Sox after he ran over Jamie Burke. I wouldn't mind seeing him tearing up one of his knees while he makes a catch on the fence.

Shorty1983
04-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Ichiro (~.~)

Palehose13
04-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Two of the biggest, Dye and Pierzynski, are on the team now.

Other than them, Bobby Higginson, Mike Sweeny, "Mr. Mediocre" Torii Hunter, and of course Brad Radke. There are so many. Most of the guys thar kill us are mediocre players who seem to get most of their homers in any given year against the Sox.

LOL...Dye and Pierzynski were my first two thoughts when reading the title of this thread. I guess Kenny has a new philosophy: "If they keep beating you, sign 'em." :wink:

Jjav829
04-11-2005, 10:11 PM
LOL...Dye and Pierzynski were my first two thoughts when reading the title of this thread. I guess Kenny has a new philosophy: "If they keep beating you, sign 'em." :wink:

I hope we don't see Bobby Higginson in a Sox uniform anytime soon.:o::(:

I'd add in Ron Belliard. He just seems to kill us. Matt Lawton, as well.

zach074
04-11-2005, 10:12 PM
Joe Crede, I don't think that needs any explanation.

brewcrew/chisox
04-11-2005, 10:42 PM
It seems like there are more hitters on the Sox Killer List than pitchers.

Hmmmm, what about Sanatana? (although he kills everyone). I know Weaver was pretty dominant against us when he pitched for Detroit. C.C Sabathia (but again, he's pretty darn good against everybody).

Anyone know of any pitchers that on most days look pretty average until they play against the Sox?

tacosalbarojas
04-11-2005, 10:53 PM
In the past:

Rusty Greer and Lee Stevens owned us.I may have been dreaming this, but I think Greer announced his retirement due to the injuries he's sustained the last couple of years. I hope I wasn't dreaming it...

Soxzilla
04-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Hmmmm, what about Sanatana? (although he kills everyone). I know Weaver was pretty dominant against us when he pitched for Detroit. C.C Sabathia (but again, he's pretty darn good against everybody).

Anyone know of any pitchers that on most days look pretty average until they play against the Sox?

Not sure how often he did it last year, but I remember getting owned by Brian Cy Anderson last year as the wheels came off late in the season.

Lip, my brother brought up a great trivia question last night. What former lameduck White Sox hitter OWNED Randy Johnson? Two points for you if you get it right.

And for some reason, this thread reminds of that huge double Denny Hocking hit off us a few years ago. I hated that guy.

tacosalbarojas
04-11-2005, 11:04 PM
And for some reason, this thread reminds of that huge double Denny Hocking hit off us a few years ago. I hated that guy. I second that emotion. He was a huge pain in the derriere.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Torii Hunter and Joe Crede.

ma-gaga
04-11-2005, 11:12 PM
And for some reason, this thread reminds of that huge double Denny Hocking hit off us a few years ago. I hated that guy.

It was a triple...

ChiSoxRowand
04-11-2005, 11:18 PM
I may have been dreaming this, but I think Greer announced his retirement due to the injuries he's sustained the last couple of years. I hope I wasn't dreaming it...

I'm pretty sure he's retired.

Cowch44
04-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Joe Crede, I don't think that needs any explanation.

Ouch.:tongue:

tacosalbarojas
04-11-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm pretty sure he's retired.
I knew I wasn't dreaming it. I mean, c'mon, who dreams about Rusty freakin' Greer? Thanks for the confirmation.

JB98
04-11-2005, 11:27 PM
Omar Vizquel. Thankfully, he's in the NL now.

Kevin Appier always seemed to inexplicably pitch well against us as well.

skobabe8
04-11-2005, 11:32 PM
How about Oakland Coliseum?

tacosalbarojas
04-11-2005, 11:37 PM
How about Oakland Coliseum?
The whole Left Coast in the 21st.Century.

santo=dorf
04-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Can't believe nobody mentioned Thome.

122 Games, 41 HR, 107 RBI, 1.056 OPS. :o:

FightingBillini
04-11-2005, 11:46 PM

He was mentioned in the first post.

Irishsox1
04-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Thome put up some monster numbers against the Sox, but it seemed to even out during the 2000 season. He struck out a lot that year in key situations.

Ichiro has killed a lot of teams, but he seems to use the Sox as a spring board for getting out of his "slumps".

Carlos Guillen has a nack for being annoying.

The entire Minnesota Twins and Oakland A's teams from 1999 to current are Sox killers.

Rafeal Palmereo usually hits 1 key homerun a series against the Sox.

There are so many, but these come to mind.

dcb33
04-12-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hot Carl Crawford

popilius
04-12-2005, 12:24 AM
Other than them, Bobby Higginson, Mike Sweeny.

YOU SAID IT!

Can anyone say Rusty Greer?

:gulp:

faneidde
04-12-2005, 12:27 AM
:hitless:thechoice
Did you guys forget about me. I used to kill the Sox when I was on the team.

batmanZoSo
04-12-2005, 12:30 AM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hot Carl Crawford

Hey, Hey...this is a family forum....

I think the all-time Sox killer team has to include Mike Bordick. I seem to remember him always giving us hell.

"Man, I hate that Mike Bordick..." ::bites knuckle::

ma_deuce
04-12-2005, 12:35 AM
:reinsy

"I screw the team over year in and year out and I don't even get an honorable mention? Jeez, what else do I have to do?!?!?"

SpartanSoxFan
04-12-2005, 12:41 AM
I have to say Torii Hunter. He always comes up with a big hit or big catch against the Sox. Then last year, he baseically took the air out of the Sox after he ran over Jamie Burke. I wouldn't mind seeing him tearing up one of his knees while he makes a catch on the fence.

I agree 100%. This guy owns us, and until somone knocks him on his @$$, and/or shows him up on the field, he is going to continue playing with that cocky swagger and making huge plays against us.

TomParrish79
04-12-2005, 01:04 AM
David Ortiz always seems to have 3 hit, 2 HR games against us everytime he plays a game vs. the Sox.

soxfan123
04-12-2005, 01:17 AM
I could be wrong but hasn't Eric Chavez always killed us....and Frank Cattalanotto...I remember him on the Rangers always laying the big hit.

dcb33
04-12-2005, 01:32 AM
I could be wrong but hasn't Eric Chavez always killed us....and Frank Cattalanotto...I remember him on the Rangers always laying the big hit.

Except for last year- Marte did a pretty good job of silencing Chavez for awhile.
Cattalanotto is another guy who always gives us fits.

SoxFanForever
04-12-2005, 01:40 AM
Except for last year- Marte did a pretty good job of silencing Chavez for awhile.
Cattalanotto is another guy who always gives us fits.
Breaking a guys hand is one way to silence him :o:

dcb33
04-12-2005, 01:52 AM
Breaking a guys hand is one way to silence him :o:

Exactly. Perhaps my comment should've been in teal.

Back to the Blue Jays- I for one will be rooting for them in the East this year because they look like they might have a pretty solid team. I doubt they will contend for the division, but it'd be sweet if they were competitive enough to keep either the Carmines or Yankees from winning the Wild Card. This Yankees/Red Sox BS needs to stop and stop fast.

batmanZoSo
04-12-2005, 01:55 AM
Exactly. Perhaps my comment should've been in teal.

Back to the Blue Jays- I for one will be rooting for them in the East this year because they look like they might have a pretty solid team. I doubt they will contend for the division, but it'd be sweet if they were competitive enough to keep either the Carmines or Yankees from winning the Wild Card. This Yankees/Red Sox BS needs to stop and stop fast.

I think the AL East standings have wound up exactly the same 5 years in a row. Maybe Toronto will overtake Baltimore, but I see 1 and 2 staying as they've been.

Navaro's Talent
04-12-2005, 02:38 AM
Orlando Hudson of the Toronto Blue Jays usually does pretty good against the Sox, doesn't he?

I think my choice, though, would have to be Chone Figgins who has gotten a lot of hits off the Sox in recent years. Also, he catches everything, which gets annoying fast.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-12-2005, 06:23 AM
Carlos Delgado comes to mind. Any hurler in his first major league start.

Historically:
Rick Dempsey
Dave Steib
Scott Fletcher He batted 1.000 with the bases loaded, and they were loaded alot.
Jamie Moyer
Tori Hunter
Tito Landrum
Royce Clayton

Viva Medias B's
04-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Another longtime Sox killer:

:ralomar:

Remember the night as a Blue Jay he hit two home runs off of us, one from each side of the plate?

ChiSox7
04-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Not sure how often he did it last year, but I remember getting owned by Brian Cy Anderson last year as the wheels came off late in the season.

Lip, my brother brought up a great trivia question last night. What former lameduck White Sox hitter OWNED Randy Johnson? Two points for you if you get it right.

I remember when Greg Norton homered off of Randy from both sides of the plate in one game. I don't know if that's who you are thinking of though.

mjharrison72
04-12-2005, 11:02 AM

That was the first person who came to my mind... thank God he plays in the NL now.

Sox-on-TV44
04-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Torii "Spelling" Hunter:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Joe Randa (Do that same thing to the Cubs,will ya!)
Joe "CY" Mays
Brad Radke
Kevin Millwood (all those years in Atlanta helped him)
Shannon Stewart
And any "First time" starting picture who looks great against the Sox,but looks like crap when he's facing the Twins,Yankees,etc.

mweflen
04-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Can I name the entire Oakland A's roster?

Thank goodness we've got JD and they've lost two of their terrible threesome.

I still am not looking forward to our road trip there...

BigEdWalsh
04-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Another longtime Sox killer:

:ralomar:

Remember the night as a Blue Jay he hit two home runs off of us, one from each side of the plate?

Yeah and he killed us when he played for us too.

Jurr
04-12-2005, 12:00 PM
I think that we lost a few of the biggest Sox killers from our big rivals.

1. Matt f'n Lawton. This guy wore us out as a Twin and continued to do it as an Indian. Glad he's rotting in pittsburgh.

2. Corey Koskie. He's made some huge defensive plays, some clutch hits, and he has a ton of homers against the Sox.

3. Bobby Higginson. Wow. The guy could be hitting .150 and will go .450 with 4 bombs in a series against the Sox.

4. Brad Radke. The guy seems to have our number, though we've been playing much better against him the last couple of times we've seen him.

5. Jim Thome. He burns everyone, but as an Indian (and most recently as a Philly) he has been especially bad news for the Sox.

6. Mark Mulder. He typified the sentiment of Sox coaches that the team just couldn't hit good lefty pitching. He would beat us every freakin' time he came to the mound. We could beat Hudson and Zito on occasion, but Mulder had an ownership title with the White Sox name on it.

Chez
04-12-2005, 12:09 PM
In his prime, Bernie Williams killed us.

ChiSoxRowand
04-12-2005, 12:14 PM

Frank Cattalanotto had that 6-6 game against us last year. It was game 2 of a doubleheader in May.

Foulke You
04-12-2005, 12:51 PM
David Ortiz always seems to have 3 hit, 2 HR games against us everytime he plays a game vs. the Sox.
Good call, TP79. Ortiz wore us out in a Twins uniform long before he became "Big Popi" in Boston. Jurr made a good call on Koskie too. I would nominate Koskie as a first team all-defensive Sox killer list. That guy robbed us of so many would-be doubles and triples it wasn't even funny. It was almost a guarantee that he would nab at least 2 frozen ropes per game. I'm happy he is out of Minny.

As long as we're talking Sox killers, anyone remember dreading every at bat when Jay Buhner stepped to the plate? That guy would hit so many big homers against us in the regular season and then he haunted us in the playoffs too (shudders as nightmarish thoughts of the 2000 ALDS come flooding back).

Kenny Lofton in his prime during the Indians days was another guy who was a Sox killer. He'd get on base constantly, steal bases and be a gigantic pest. Not to mention the fact that he was taking away White Sox homers by the handful by climbing the fence long before Torii Hunter was breaking our hearts.:(:

FoulTerritory
04-12-2005, 01:42 PM
Can I name the entire Oakland A's roster?

Thank goodness we've got JD and they've lost two of their terrible threesome.

I still am not looking forward to our road trip there...

Speaking of the A's, Terrance Long and Kotsay . . .

elrod
04-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Mike Cameron. 4HRs in a game - and almost 5.
Mark Mulder
Ronnie Belliard

Soxzilla
04-12-2005, 05:16 PM
It was a triple...

You WOULD remember that ya smug bastard!:wink: All I remember was it making contact against the right baggie dome wall. I believe it was off Foulker.

And yes, the all-time great Greg Norton was the Randy Johnson killer.

^^about Mike Cameron. The fatter he got, the better he played against us... someone tell me he wasn't juicing.

chisoxfan79
04-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Carlos Guillen beat the hell out of us last year for the Tigers. I remember him beating the crap out of us when he was with the Mariners. I think the whole tigers team are Sox killers. Right now Bobby Higinson comes off the bench for the Tigers but I have a hunch that he will start against us.

hold2dibber
04-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Randa, Koskie, Hunter, Thome and Sweeney all come to mind. Brett Boone, too, but to a lesser extent.

All-time Sox killer, IMHO, was Jim Gantner of the Brewers. That guy couldn't make an out against the Sox.

LVSoxFan
04-13-2005, 12:02 AM
I can't name individual players, but when it comes to killing Sox dead no one beats:

1. Oakland
2. Detroit

Detroit? You say, amazed, because they've sucked for a few years. And yet, we always tend to drop games to them. And this year they don't suck.

But even when they're in the basement with K.C., we still lose games to them inexplicably.