PDA

View Full Version : How would grade the sox so far?

gogosoxtimebaby
04-11-2005, 07:34 PM
how would you

patbooyah
04-11-2005, 07:40 PM
i voted A. because with the exception of one play(dead horse) this team has been fun to watch. day in, day out.

AntoneSmith2
04-11-2005, 07:40 PM
Im going with a B, only because of the Blown Save against the Indians.

gosox3072
04-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Our starting pitching is A+
Our Relief pitching is B
Our Hitting is a B-

B+

SOX ADDICT '73
04-11-2005, 07:46 PM
I voted B (I'd give it a plus if the option were available). The pitching has been unbelievable, the defense good, but the offense needs to kick it into gear (too many guys in horrific slumps). My stomach lining can't handle these 1-run games for long.

MRKARNO
04-11-2005, 07:46 PM
A because this team currently holds the best record in the American League and I decided to grade on a curve.:smile:

Frater Perdurabo
04-11-2005, 07:48 PM
I went with a B because this team - particularly the offense - is not firing on all cylinders. They are not reaching their potential. Rowand, Uribe and Crede will not hit under .200 for the season; it is a foregone conclusions they will improve. When that happens, the bottom third of the order will turn over the lineup and generate more runs. The offense will chase opposing starting pitchers earlier and get into opposing bullpens earlier. They will score more runs, allowing Sox pitchers to pitch with more leads.

skobabe8
04-11-2005, 07:50 PM
B since the offense is a little quit right now. But its great to see that we can win games when that happens.

The_Floridian
04-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Last year we would have killed for a fifth starter that could win a game, let alone outdo Brad Radke.

Last year, we would have loved somebody who could swipe four bags a week.

The bats will wake up, and Shingo has bounced back from his bad inning nicely.

Give em an A for week one.

jabrch
04-11-2005, 07:52 PM
I'd give them 5 As and 2 Fs.

jerry myers
04-11-2005, 07:57 PM
id give a b they dont score much but we dont either.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-11-2005, 08:15 PM
I'd give the team an A. The starting pitching has been excellent, we all know what we were getting with Buehrle and Garcia, and most of us can agree that the White Sox' chance at success this season rests on Contreras, El Duque, Garland, who all had excellent starts so far. There are a few players on offense who are struggling, but they've scored enough runs to be 5-2.

MeanFish
04-11-2005, 08:17 PM
I give em a B, on the sole basis that pitching has been great but the offense isn't producing runs like it can.

eastchicagosoxfan
04-11-2005, 08:18 PM
It's an A. The team is 5-2, and winning close games. The pitching has been good, and the team has scored enough runs to win all but one of the games.

munchman33
04-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Anytime you're in first place it should be an automatic "A". If that changes, then I will reassess.

swanson24
04-11-2005, 08:24 PM
I voted A because we have been in every game so far with the exception of the Twins game Sunday night. I have to admit that I was skeptical of this littleball or Ozzieball philosophy at first but I am glad to be proved wrong.

swanson24
04-11-2005, 09:09 PM
I cant believe that anyone would grade the Sox below a B right now. Sometimes we grade the team a little too harshly.

faneidde
04-11-2005, 09:13 PM
Infallible (who voted D)=:dtroll:

SoxFan48
04-11-2005, 09:17 PM
SP: A
RP: B
Fielding: A
Offense (OBP): D
Situational Hitting: A
Base Running: A
Composite Grade: B

swanson24
04-11-2005, 09:25 PM
I admit OBP has been disappointing. I do think it has something to do with the strong outings by Millwood twice and Santana.

Palehose13
04-11-2005, 09:59 PM
I gave them a B. The team looks really good right now, but there is room for improvement.

pssst...I'm a teacher so my grade is the the correct one. :wink:

Realist
04-11-2005, 10:03 PM
As of this minute, the Sox have the best record in baseball. That sets the curve. They get an A.

maurice
04-11-2005, 10:08 PM
I gave them a B. The team looks really good right now, but there is room for improvement.

:rowand :burly :walnuts
"A 'B' for 1st Place? That's not fair! You're
a mean teacher."

:ozzie
"Stop handin' out B's. Deez are goo' keeds. I like
deez keeds, ahn I'm dah *&%#$ manhager. I feel
out dah *&%#$ report cahrs aroun' here."

:crede
"Yah! I got a B! Woo-hoo!"

gobears1987
04-11-2005, 10:12 PM
a mean teacher."

LOL! I gave them a B as they should've won both games they lost.

spawn
04-11-2005, 10:13 PM
I didn't give a grade because I think it's too early to grade this team. I like what I see so far from the pitching staff, and, believe it or not, from the offense. We've faced some pretty good pitching so far, so I would expect the offense to be a little slow. That said, I'd like to see at least 3 turns through the rotation to assess them. I'm not trying to be a killjoy or a pessimist, but past Sox teams have teased before with great starts. I'm just a little apprehensive about grading them. I do like what I see though.

Bobbo35
04-11-2005, 10:18 PM
I would definately give the Sox a B+ as a grade so far. I think that our starting pitching has been stellar so far. Our hitting can only get better considering Rowand has yet to hit his stride. Iguchi and Everett have been pleasant surprises. When the Sox get on all cylinders, which they have not, I feel that we will be hard club to beat.

Go Sox!!!

kevingrt
04-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Only one Scrubby fan logged in and casted their vote so far, surprising. But yeah if they finish anywhere near a .666 winning percentage that would be an automatic A for the regular season. This team has started out so f-ing strong this year and I can't wait till they get back home Friday after sweeping the mistake by the lakers.

Palehose13
04-11-2005, 10:20 PM
a mean teacher."

LOL...good stuff space cowboy. :wink:

whitesoxwilkes
04-11-2005, 10:22 PM
I gave them a B. Pitching's been great, and the offense has for the most part gotten the job done. Have they sparkled? No, hence no A.

JoseCanseco6969
04-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Who the hell in their right mind could vote D??? If we were 2-5, maybe we'd be a D. Are you watching the same freaking games that I am???? Or are you just an idiot troll:dtroll::dtroll::dtroll:. Maybe a little of both!

Ol' No. 2
04-11-2005, 10:35 PM
As of this minute, the Sox have the best record in baseball. That sets the curve. They get an A.Well...yeah. If they don't get an A, who does?

Fake Chet Lemon
04-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Did you expect them to be undefeated? If not, it's an "A".

JB98
04-11-2005, 11:46 PM
I gave the team a B.

I'd give the pitching staff an A, but the hitters get a C-.

batmanZoSo
04-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Man, you'd think we have 10 World Series banners hanging from the rafters with some of this nitpicking here. I mean, only one other team has been as successful as us so far (Atlanta), so I guess no one gets an A. I go on wins and losses alone. Best record in the league, in first by a game and half, all without a major threat in the lineup = A.

Norberto7
04-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Well...yeah. If they don't get an A, who does?

Depends on if you grade on a curve or not. Who says that anyone deserves an "A"? Generally, "A" means "excellent" on the report card. Asides from starting pitching, have the Sox been excellent in all facets of the game? It'd be hard to argue "yes". Until they are, I'd say "B" to "B+" is the fairest grade, as it seems a slight majority is going with.

ma_deuce
04-12-2005, 12:37 AM
We keep doing what we are doing now, and the division is ours. That deserves an "A" in my book, hands down.

SpartanSoxFan
04-12-2005, 12:39 AM
I give them a B. The starting pitching has been great so far, but its early. The offense has been iffy at best.

fquaye149
04-12-2005, 04:10 AM
id give a b they dont score much but we dont either.

Ha! The perfect mantra of Sox fans!

fquaye149
04-12-2005, 04:12 AM
I gave the team a B.

A C-? So they've been below average?

Wow, I'd hate to be a student of yours.

mjharrison72
04-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Until this team scores more than the current 3.9 runs per game, they deserve no more than a B.

The pitching deserves an A, and certain hitters are playing to their potential, but certain hitters are also "not applying themselves."

I used to get a lot of that in school.

Dan H
04-12-2005, 10:35 AM
I gave them a "A" because they are not giving games away. Yes, there was that blown save, but that happens to the best of them. I don't expect the offensive production the last few years, but I hope it improves. But I am not going to argue with 5-2, and beating your division rivals as you are doing it.

Infallible
04-12-2005, 10:39 AM
Infallible (who voted D)=:dtroll:

Hey thanks Champ! Everyone is a troll who doesn't agree with the majority? Alright maybe I'm being too much of pessimist and should've given them a C instead. C because our offense is lacking (by themselves F, IN MY OWN OPINION). Our pitching staff OTOH is an A. So its average in a weak division. Its still early on in the season and I've gotten tired of being jacked up for the entire year only to watch the wheels come off after the all star break time and time again. So this year I'm remaining a thorough pessimist, at least this way I can only be delighted at good outcomes.

fquaye149
04-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Until this team scores more than the current 3.9 runs per game, they deserve no more than a B.

WOW

Just WOW. I know Sox fans are bad, but WOW

Ol' No. 2
04-12-2005, 10:42 AM

The pitching deserves an A, and certain hitters are playing to their potential, but certain hitters are also "not applying themselves."

I used to get a lot of that in school.If they were scoring 3.9 runs per game against average pitching, I'd agree with you. But they've faced some of the tougher pitching in the AL. The average runs scored in the AL is about 4.5-5 RPG. One less against good pitching doesn't sound bad at all.

mweflen
04-12-2005, 10:50 AM
I voted B. The fact they've won so many squeakers is encouraging. Now, when they finally start to hit, they should be a juggernaut :D:

mweflen
04-12-2005, 10:51 AM
Ha! The perfect mantra of Sox fans!

speak for yourself, muchacho:cool:

The Racehorse
04-12-2005, 10:56 AM
Can't win a WS without being playoff eligible... SOX in 1st-place after one week equals an A in my book.

wildcat
04-12-2005, 10:57 AM
I think a B is reasonable. They've been a lot of fun to watch, and I think the small ball wins have been tremendous, but I'm hesitant to grade them too highly after facing only two teams.

mweflen
04-12-2005, 11:00 AM
I think a B is reasonable. They've been a lot of fun to watch, and I think the small ball wins have been tremendous, but I'm hesitant to grade them too highly after facing only two teams.

:welcome:

Yeah, let's see them play in Oakland first... :unsure:

nebraskasox
04-12-2005, 11:04 AM
I rated a B. The Sox have the lowest ERA in the AL of 3.66 but also the lowest OBP of .268. OBP was one of the key areas for improvement and we haven't seen it yet. We need to get more base runners.

But, hey, we're off to a great start despite the offensive struggles.

soxtalker
04-12-2005, 11:10 AM
I gave them a B -- probably a solid B. My initial reaction might have been higher because their starting pitching is better so far than last year. I'd do that a bit cautiously, however, as I really did expect good games from each pitcher; the real question will be consistency. Then I looked over the stats for all of MLB, and I realize that we're not quite as good as a number of teams in pitching. Florida stands out compared to everyone. (Of course, their series with the Nationals probably isn't quite as tough as the Toons or Twinkies, though Atlanta is pretty good.)

Sox-on-TV44
04-12-2005, 11:11 AM
I give them an A- because,the pitching and offense is there.One down side,Shingo's blown save vs. The Indians on Thursday.Other than that,all good.

voodoochile
04-12-2005, 11:23 AM
I gave them a B. It's more like a B+, IMO, but that wasn't an option. The pitching has been great but the offense needs more consistency - or at least more scoring, I suppose it has been consistent.

I also don't believe they have nothing to improve on this early in the season and you don't get an A until you have nothing left to work on.

I am very pleased with the end results so far...:cool:

santo=dorf
04-12-2005, 11:50 AM
:hawk
"Don't tell me what you hit, tell me when you hit."

I'm curious as to the voters who voted "C" and "D" who they think deserve an "A." No team in baseball has a better record than us, and only the Marlins' starting pitching can compare to ours. I've always heard about how some Sox fans are very negative, and this poll is just another example. :(:

voodoochile
04-12-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm curious as to the voters who voted "C" and "D" who they think deserve an "A." No team in baseball has a better record than us, and only the Marlins' starting pitching can compare to ours. I've always heard about how some Sox fans are very negative, and this poll is just another example. :(:

Maybe we just have high standards or different ways of grading.

I like the end results and if they are in first at the end of September, then they get an A regardless of how their offense or defense or pitching looks. Right now, they are less than 5% of the way through the "test" and as good as the results are, there is room for improvement.

Nellie_Fox
04-12-2005, 11:59 AM
The question was how do you grade the Sox so far. Not how do you think they are going to do.

Five wins and two losses works out to a .714 winning pct. So far, it's an A. Plus, they're fun to watch.

fquaye149
04-12-2005, 12:15 PM
speak for yourself, muchacho:cool:

hey i get girls...i get so many girls, it's like, whoa girls go easy. i mean, lots.

Church Turtle
04-12-2005, 12:57 PM
I'd give them 5 As and 2 Fs.
sounds like a B to me.

Mohoney
04-12-2005, 12:58 PM
I gave the team a B.

I voted A, only because there is no option for A+ on here, which is the grade I'm giving them.

Yes, our offense got stifled by Millwood (twice), Westbrook, and Santana. In other words, we were shut down by the reigning Cy Young winner in our league, a guy who posted the 5th best ERA in our league last year, and a guy who has posted 2 18-win seasons. We still won 3 out of these 4 games when last year we would have been lucky to win 1. Plus, our 5th starter outpitched the 2nd starter on the team that has won our division 3 years in a row, and did it at their park on top of it.

I just wanted this team to stay close until Frank Thomas gets back. So far, they have done much, much more than that.

CubKiller5
04-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Rotation: B+.
Mark: B+. A dominant start followed by an ok one.
Fred: A-. If not for the balk to score a run Fred's had two dominant starts.
Contreras: A-. 6IP, 1ER. He needs to go 7 to earn the A.
Garland: B. I think a gutsy borderliine quality start rates a B.

Bullpen: B.
Shingo: B+. Solid in all appearances but 1.
Marte: B. He's getting quality appearances at best.
Herm: A. He's looked the best amongst middle rellief.
Vizcaino: B-. Overused in 1 game. He looked good for the first 4 outs.
Politte: B-. He's not hurt us but he's still giving up R.
Cotts: C+. Hasn't seen much action so it' early yet.

Defense: B+.
Uribe has been stellar, Guch good on DP's, Koney & Gload have made some nice plays, OF has been pretty solid, AJ & Widger hve done a pretty good job but Crede has dragged them down.

Lineup: C.
Overall: C+. The team's batting 239 but they are +1 in R, +2 in TB, +1 in RBI.
RISP: D+. The team's batting 175 but they are getting timely hits. Even in R, -15 in TB, -7 in RBI.

Overall grade: B/B-. The lineup counts double. It's closer to a B than a B- :smile:

I'm not going to grade the manager because I think his decisions factor into these grades. A little better job by Ozzie & the Bullpen is a B+/A- grade. A little better job by Ozzie on substitutions & preparedness & the Lineup might be a C+ grade. I think he's handled the rotation the best he could to this point.

SOXSINCE'70
04-12-2005, 05:22 PM
B .

This team can get better offensively.
Love the pitching!!

RavenswoodFan
04-13-2005, 04:54 PM
I voted with a B. Like most others I think we need more offense! Then we'll have a complete package!

:boston

Duh.....I think it'll be the Cubs...

batmanZoSo
04-13-2005, 05:07 PM
I gave them a "A" because they are not giving games away. Yes, there was that blown save, but that happens to the best of them. I don't expect the offensive production the last few years, but I hope it improves. But I am not going to argue with 5-2, and beating your division rivals as you are doing it.

That's what I'm saying. I don't care if they're not hitting, they're winning despite that, so they get an A. That's what championship type teams do. And like you said, they're beating division opponents. Last year they were 10-9 vs. Cleveland, this year 3-1 so far and of course they should be 4-0. Our play vs. the Central is going to make or break this season. Last year we were barely above .500 against division teams and that's unacceptable, considering Minnesota only beat us 10-9. Getting beat by Detroit, Cleveland and Kansas City has killed us in the past, that's what we have to change. Two of the three are much better now, but we're still above them in talent, I don't care what ESPN thinks.

SoxFan48
04-13-2005, 06:21 PM
I give them an A- because,the pitching and offense is there.

In OBP, the White Sox at .268 rank dead last in the majors. Our SLG at .287 checks in at 26th in the majors. No, the offense is not there yet.

I am not negative. I gave a solid B due to SP (A), RP (B), Situational Hitting (A or B), Base Running (A), Defense (A or B). But the hitting is D if we are generous, F if we are not.