PDA

View Full Version : More Stupidity from Steve Philips

FightingBillini
04-11-2005, 04:21 PM
I tuned into the Red Sox Yankees game between innings of the Sox game. On ESPN they had a gamebreak, in which they showed the score of the LAAA vs. Rangers game. Hank Blalock hit a homer, and the moron Steve Philips said "And the Rangers will need lots of that all year. They didn't get Carlos Delgado this offseason, so Blalock will need to step up to help the offense."

:?::?::?::?::?::?:

Im guessing Philips not only didn't see the Rangers play once last year, he also didnt read a single box score. The Rangers have more than enough offense. What they need is pitching.

skobabe8
04-11-2005, 07:40 PM
I tuned into the Red Sox Yankees game between innings of the Sox game. On ESPN they had a gamebreak, in which they showed the score of the LAAA vs. Rangers game. Hank Blalock hit a homer, and the moron Steve Philips said "And the Rangers will need lots of that all year. They didn't get Carlos Delgado this offseason, so Blalock will need to step up to help the offense."

Im guessing Philips not only didn't see the Rangers play once last year, he also didnt read a single box score. The Rangers have more than enough offense. What they need is pitching.

Idiot. :kukoo:

kevingrt
04-11-2005, 08:45 PM

Seriously this guy knows nothing about baseball it seems like. How was he a Mets GM??? Wait, he got fired for a reason!

NUCatsFan
04-12-2005, 02:10 AM
Guess who's on ESPN Radio now? He was talking about not being a believer in the Sox and that He still sees the Sox in 4th. He says that he doesn't think they have the offensive firepower to keep winning games. They don't have that great of a pitching staff, but 1-12, they'll be able to keep themselves in most games. Says that we're a similar team to the Twins, but not as good of a team as them.

He just sounds like a utter moron.

(He's done talking about the Sox and the AL Central, so don't bother tuning in now)

Yorke97
04-12-2005, 08:14 AM
The guy is a hack. ESPN made a huge mistake by unloading Dibble in favor of this moron.

tstrike2000
04-12-2005, 09:55 AM
I couldn't agree more with everyone's comments. ESPN can be bad, but most everything I've heard Steve Philips say makes me wonder if he's been hittin' the wacky tabacky a little too hard.

Stroker Ace
04-12-2005, 02:41 PM
The guy is a hack. ESPN made a huge mistake by unloading Dibble in favor of this moron.
Couldn't agree more.
Dibble= Good
Philips= FAILED METS GM!!!!!

Foulke You
04-12-2005, 03:18 PM
Ask a Mets fan what they think of Steve Phillips. You have to be a spectacular failure as a GM to assemble a team with a $120 million payroll to concecutive last place finishes. The Yankees and Red Sox make mistakes and then cover for them by spending more. Phillips made mistakes, and then spent more money and made EVEN MORE mistakes in NY.

socko82
04-18-2005, 06:03 PM
Saturday night on Baseball Tonight, Steve Phillips theory on how to fix the Rockies:
1.Trade talented but extremely expensive player for multiple players and create payroll flexibility.
2. Spread the cash around and build a rotation that's 5 deep not just 1 or 2
3. Improve the defense because if you're going to improve pitching you also must be able to catch the ball.

Sounds like a plan, wish KW had though of it. Oh wait, he did and Phillips said they'd be lucky to win 72 games.

NonetheLoaiza
04-19-2005, 03:12 PM
Saturday night on Baseball Tonight, Steve Phillips theory on how to fix the Rockies:
1.Trade talented but extremely expensive player for multiple players and create payroll flexibility.
2. Spread the cash around and build a rotation that's 5 deep not just 1 or 2
3. Improve the defense because if you're going to improve pitching you also must be able to catch the ball.

Sounds like a plan, wish KW had though of it. Oh wait, he did and Phillips said they'd be lucky to win 72 games.

I couldn't agree more. I didn't hear this plan by Phillips on how to fix the Rockies, but it brings up the fact that the Sox had themselves a great offseason, get shunned and not even noticed by the "experts", and then when we get off to a great start, it's an illusion. At least us Sox fans know where this team is headed...

hawkjt
04-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Heard this am on Mike and Mike:

Greenie; Buerhle is a pitcher who came in with great hype and has consistently underacheived.

Phillips: Yes, he has underperformed but at times his run support has been lacking.

WHATTTTT!!!! I assume that goofy greenie had confused Burls with Garland or kerry wood. But even more agregiously the acknowledged ESPN Baseball Expert Phillips just went along with it even tho I am sure he also was not sure.

Prime example of the misinformation from these guys. Yesterday Greenie again insisted that Frank is not HOF material and then commented that yesterdays rubarb is another reason Frank will not make it. So dumb it is almost laughable. Problem is that on PTI and Around the HOrn they said the same thing; There goes Frank making trouble again. The national press sucks this crap up and when it comes time for voting Frank in they will only think about incidents like yesterdays non-event. Hisses me off that Frank cannot win. Sure ozzie will recant and all but they will never follow up today with a oz apology. So frank is the bad guy. Think ozzie; before you talk.

Jerko
04-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Mike and Mike are 2 idiots. I heard them while looking at scores on espnews (for some reason these puds get televised), and it seems to me that a typical morning show goes like this:

Greenie says something dumb.
Golic says something dumber.
Greenie disagrees with Golic.
Golic says (the worst sports phrase ever IMO) "well, it is what it is"
Repeat.

Scintillating.

santo=dorf
04-19-2005, 05:39 PM

Greenie; Buerhle is a pitcher who came in with great hype and has consistently underacheived.

Phillips: Yes, he has underperformed but at times his run support has been lacking.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. :angry:
Don't all 38th round draft picks come into the bigs with tons of hype?

Ol' No. 2
04-19-2005, 05:42 PM

WHATTTTT!!!! I assume that goofy greenie had confused Burls with Garland or kerry wood. But even more agregiously the acknowledged ESPN Baseball Expert Phillips just went along with it even tho I am sure he also was not sure.

Prime example of the misinformation from these guys. Yesterday Greenie again insisted that Frank is not HOF material and then commented that yesterdays rubarb is another reason Frank will not make it. So dumb it is almost laughable. Problem is that on PTI and Around the HOrn they said the same thing; There goes Frank making trouble again. The national press sucks this crap up and when it comes time for voting Frank in they will only think about incidents like yesterdays non-event. Hisses me off that Frank cannot win. Sure ozzie will recant and all but they will never follow up today with a oz apology. So frank is the bad guy. Think ozzie; before you talk.I can't believe Golic was talking about anything but football.

SoxWillWin
04-19-2005, 06:19 PM
Well I'll hand him the trophy again.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2634

samram
04-19-2005, 06:42 PM
I can't believe Golic was talking about anything but football.

I can. He's too stupid to stop himself from addressing topics he knows nothing about.

As for Phillips, well, it's been said many times before- he was fired for finishing in last with a $100 million payroll. Everytime I've heard him I think of the principal's response to Billy Madison's industrial revolution speech.

SoxSpeed22
04-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Well I'll hand him the trophy again.
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2634I have to start a poll question on how many times he wins this throughout the year.