PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Stadiums

Gosox1917
04-11-2005, 01:00 PM
I was visiting the Comcast Sportsnet site this afternoon and noticed that their webpole asked which stadium was the worst among the Metrodome, Tropicana Field, Shea Stadium, and the Skydome (or whatever the hell it's called now). I was just wondering what everybody's opinion here was as to their opinions of the best and worst stadiums.

Personally, I picked the Metrodome to be the worst. Even though I've never been there, it just doesn't seem to have a baseball like atmosphere at all. Looks like a great place for a football game, but it's definately not a baseball stadium. The aforementioned stadiums are certainly bad, as well. Wrigley would prolly go on that list as my top five worst stadiums just to look at. O yea, Oakland Coliseum is fugly too.

I've heard great things about PNC and Camden Yards and many of the new ballparks that have been built. I'd say, again just by looking at them and what I've heard, PNC, Camden Yards, SBC Park, Jacobs Field, and Coors Field are among the best. And with the renovations to U. S. Cellular, an argument could be made to put it on the top five.

Brian26
04-11-2005, 01:04 PM
And with the renovations to U. S. Cellular, an argument could be made to put it on the top five.

Maybe if you're arguiing with a crackhead.

I love our ballpark, but there's no way in hell it's in the top 5.

Clembasbal
04-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Maybe if you're arguiing with a crackhead.

I love our ballpark, but there's no way in hell it's in the top 5.

I will concur. It has been vastly improved, but probably middle of the road now, nothing more...nothing less.

Cambden Yards, the best I have been too. I am going to try and get to PNC Park this summer. Shea Stadium blows hardcore. The Metrodome blows, as does Tropacana Field. I would go with Shea is the worst stadium I have been to. Yankee Stadium has so much history that you can't make it the worst out there, but it is in the bottom 5. Some minor league fields are better than some major league fields I believe because of their family atmopshere and baseball apeal. I love baseball and seeing it is what I want to do. I can care less about cheerleaders, dancers, trivia, etc. I wanna see baseball. Cambden Yards has that. So does Jacobs Field, well it did 5 yeras ago when I was there.

williefan22
04-11-2005, 02:40 PM
I have been to many and would have to say that Shea is the worst stadium. There is really nothing going for Shea at all. My favorite is a tie between Coors Field and SBC Park with Safeco slightly behind those two

Rocklive99
04-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Out of the ones listed from that webpoll, I've only been to Shea. Nothing special, the food stunk, the most entertaining part was when a Yankee fan that was there decided to show his views of the Mets after it was clear that they weren't going to win. Nothing special, but I'd think the the other 3 mentioned, all indoor, would be worse. I hate that fake feeling inside.

bafiarocks03
04-11-2005, 03:15 PM
U.S Cellular is the best!!! YEAH!!!!

doublem23
04-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Granted, I've not been to that many places, but the best I've been to is Camden Yards, though I wasn't that impressed with the place. Overrated, IMO, but compared to the other MLB stadiums I have been to (U.S. Cellular Field, Wrigley, Fenway, Busch, Milwaukee County Stadium), it was the nicest. I can't comment on Old Comiskey because the only time I was there was going on 16 or 17 years ago and I just don't remember that far back. The worst was Fenway. My damn seat didn't even face the infield. :?:

For minor league, I think the nicest place I've been to is a tie between the Joliet Jackhammers' park and O'Brien Field here in Peoria. Both are set in nice urban areas with stuff to do, inexpensive, and offer a great experience to watch baseball. The Schaumburg Flyers' stadium is all right and the Kane County Cougars' field sucks balls.

Parrothead
04-11-2005, 06:44 PM
U.S Cellular is the best!!! YEAH!!!!

Love the Wolves love but the Cell is not the best, Kauffman is and I have been to and I have been to about 20. Please everyone instead of writing about this again go see the previous thread about this. I am too lazy to provide the link.

Erik The Red
04-11-2005, 07:03 PM
"Don't be lazy, use the search. BTW, I'm too lazy to do so as well." :rolleyes:

munchman33
04-11-2005, 07:33 PM
After the changes, no doubt we're at least top ten. Don't let the media bias get to you. I've seen the other parks out there. We have an excellent park.

Here's top five:

1. PNC
2. SBC
3. Camden Yards
4. Petco
5. Citizens Bank

Here's my bottom five:

26. Shea
27. Urinal
28. Fenway
29. Tropicana
30. Metrodome

However, I am yet to see baseball at RFK. I'm sure its pretty bad. Honorable mention to Dolphin's Stadium, who easily could replace any of the bottom five.

Some may complain about Wrigley and Fenway, but I don't feel they're suitable for major league baseball. The seat sizes and angles completely ruin the game.

Benjo
04-11-2005, 08:07 PM
yeah, the metrodome pretty much sucks. I played there once when I was 14, and it was like playing in a gym or something.

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-11-2005, 08:11 PM
The worst are definitely Tropicana and the Metrodome. I drove 1200 miles one way to see Billy Koch blow it on July 4, 2003 so that doesn't help the Trop either. :angry: I'd rather watch a game at the URINAL than watch baseball in a stupid dome.

C-Dawg
04-11-2005, 08:18 PM
I can't imagine anyone finding any charm whatsoever with the Metrodome; its 100% utilitarian and is essentially a huge gymnasium. The giant wall of folded-up seats in RF just add to the gymnasium look.

StepsInSC
04-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Only bad thing about PNC is that the Pirates play there on a regular basis...

daveeym
04-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Granted I was in bfe and by bernie brewers slide but i'm not too impressed with milwaukee's field. I've heard it's awesome on the lower lvl but i don't buy it. It seemed alot like the metrodome. Phillies new field is pretty sweet, i had similar located seats in the upperdeck of the outfield as i did up in milly waukee but it was ten times better, and the Cubs lost, and they sell cheese steaks, and they have a nice concourse to walk like the cell.

NonetheLoaiza
04-11-2005, 09:49 PM
PNC Park was really nice. Excellant view. And I would have to say my favorite (besides the Cell) is Kaufmann. That is a good place to watch a game, and has a great atmosphere. (That and it's right next to Arrowhead, which is my favorite football stadium of all time).

MRKARNO
04-11-2005, 10:50 PM
I visited SBC park on a mild, sunny San Francisco day in July and it was among the best stadium experiences I've ever had. If you get a chance to go there, go sooner rather than later.

batmanZoSo
04-11-2005, 11:43 PM
The Cell has always been among the best as far as fan accommodations, convenience and comfort. It's right off the expressway, you park right across the street, there are plenty of bathrooms, it's clean and pretty spacious, wide open concourses, no obstructed views (well, a few now), and good sightlines all around. This is the Reinsdorfian view of the park, and he does make a good point.

This park will never be great though overall until they remove the billboards and put up a second tier somewhere in the outfield to give it some character. This doesn't stop me from going to games, but it prevents the park from making anyone's short list of great ballparks.

For the record, I think San Diego's park blows, PNC is too cutesy-poo and highly overrated. The only thing that stands out is the city view. That is pretty sweet.

I love the Phillies park, it's just great to look at. I like the shape of it, how the right field grandstand is tapered off and the tiers behind the plate are squared off on a 45 degree angle or so, where every other park is rounded off behind the plate.

http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/phi/images/y2004_ballpark/cbp_210x125f.jpg
Oh man, how'd you like to watch the Sox play there every day?

:reinsy
I stand by my decision.

And my favorite to look at is the Giants park, whatever it's called. I don't think you can ever top that.

Shammy Hater
04-12-2005, 08:51 PM
i've been to the new stadiums in milwaukee, pittsburgh, philly, as well as detroit, cleveland, and fenway park. detroit sucks because of the ferris wheel and merry go round.

other than comiskey, it's a toss up between philly and milwaukee. philly has a great view of the city and even from way up in the outfield where we were sitting, you still feel pretty close. if the selig family didn't plunder wisconsin taxpayers for the stadium, i'd say milwaukee has the best new stadium.