PDA

View Full Version : ESPN page 2 article on White Sox Struggles to win WS

CPditka
04-11-2005, 12:57 PM
ESPN page 2 article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/050411)

majority of Sox info on page 3/4.

Pretty good read on Sox, Cubs, Houston, and BrewCrew's struggles to win the WS.

bartmanisgod
04-11-2005, 12:59 PM
A great read. Very fair coverage of the Sox and mocks the Cubs for blaming Bartman and not A-Gon for booting the ball. Jim Caple is slowly becoming one of my favorite writers, especially after his "college march madness tour" those columns were great!

Spicoli
04-11-2005, 01:03 PM
He said this about the White Sox:

"When winning the pennant inspires fear, you know a team is cursed."

This sucks! The pity-party category is for the simple-minded and the media is just that. Therefore they are sucking the White Sox into their shallow categories like an amoeba absorbs everything in its path. Pisses me off!

Foulke You
04-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Am I the only one have trouble linking to this article? It seems to be broken for me.:(:

Clembasbal
04-11-2005, 01:11 PM
"In 1959, I was a youngster, but I can remember when we won the AL championship. Old Richard Daley was mayor and the air-raid sirens went off. I think literally the reaction would be three times that if we won now. Jerry Reinsdorf, who really is such a tremendous fellow, I'm sure he would give up three or four of the Bulls' championship rings just for one for the Sox. Because baseball is his first love. "

Now if that actually happened. I know JR loves baseball more than basketball, but he doesn't show it as well as I, and others, want him to.

Good reazd, except for the cursed comment.

CPditka
04-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Try the link now, I had one too many http's in there. Sorry bout that.

Enjoy the read, its pretty intresting.

TaylorStSox
04-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Am I the only one have trouble linking to this article? It seems to be broken for me.:(:

It's a bad link. There's 2 set's of "http://'s"

NonetheLoaiza
04-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Caple has written some interesting pieces, and I have to say for the most part I enjoy reading his stuff. When he went around to the different colleges, I thought those articles (and pictures) were hilarious.

I also like that he included his interview with Bossard. Gives a different perspective for the most part, and a nice read overall.

swanson24
04-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Finally an unbiased opinion from someone outside the east coast.
"Those Boston fans weren't so special in their suffering, just louder." (Jim Caple form espn.com)
That is the best quote I've heard all day. It's time baseball writers realize that there are 30 teams in MLB, not just the Cubs, Yankees and Red Sox.

Lip Man 1
04-11-2005, 08:36 PM
"People forget, there was a time when the Sox used to get the attention. There was a time when the Cubs didn't draw anybody and we did. But it's not like that anymore. The north-siders get all the attention now. We're a south-side team, a blue-collar team. And we have to win."--Roger Bossard.

Truer words were never spoken on all counts!

Lip

zach074
04-11-2005, 08:50 PM
Roger is the greatest!

JoseCanseco6969
04-11-2005, 09:39 PM
ESPN page 2 article (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/050411)

majority of Sox info on page 3/4.

Pretty good read on Sox, Cubs, Houston, and BrewCrew's struggles to win the WS.

Someone should email this writer and thank him for not being a typical moron ESPN writer. Nice read indeed. All of it sad but true about our Sox. WIN DAMMIT!!

Fake Chet Lemon
04-11-2005, 10:05 PM
The Oprah comment was as funny as it's true:roflmao: .

BankHoldUp
04-12-2005, 02:42 AM
Interesting article although it doesn't quite capture the fact that us White Sox fans have been stuck in between these two ridiculous and romanticized notions of the Cubs and Red Sox curses. The team with the longest drought in the AL sadly has always been the White Sox, a fact no one ever seems to want to mention. I really don't care that we don't get any attention about our streak, but when ESPN and others literally beat this garbage about the Cubs and Red Sox into the ground at least MENTION the fact that there is another fan base going through this pain and suffering. This article puts some light on it, albeit minimal, so I guess Caple at least deserves credit for that. Not sure if anyone read Rob Neyer's Insider article a while back, I'm sure it probably got some run on this site, but he was the only ESPN "expert" to pick the Sox in the AL Central. Brian Kenny basically ripped him to shreds on his Hot List show telling him he should pick the Twins. The national media is so narrow minded and trend-based that it makes me sick.

Shammy Hater
04-12-2005, 05:12 AM
screw bud, screw the cubs, rack neyer for at least giving the sox some print. saying JR's a great juy is a stretch, but if he's your boss, what do you expect?