PDA

View Full Version : UK Baseball Coverage

SoxEd
04-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Last night's game vs the Twins was shown in the UK.

We get the ESPN feed, but with our own Studio guys, and UK-produced segments between innings (when we don't invariably have advert breaks :smile:).

My favourite bit was in a segment the UK TV company had taped at the ST game vs the Cubs.

The reporter was asking fans of each team 'why your team and not the other team' etc
Responses from fans were intercut to show the Sox fans' responses, then Cub fans answers and so on.

The best bit was when asked 'what is the difference between the two sets of fans' - the Sox fans said 'Sox fans are fans of baseball, Cubs fans are mostly rich kids who like a party, the whole area around Wrigley is like that'. The Cubs fans said 'Sox fans have more mullets'.

Two questions later - 'why do you follow your team' - the Sox fans said 'it's a good, honest team', 'it's all about baseball' etc, the Cub fans responded 'Oh man, Wrigley Field, what an atmosphere'.

The Sox fans they vox-popped were of ages 20 - 70, the Cub fans were all in their early 20s.

Talk about living up to a stereotype...

Stroker Ace
04-11-2005, 12:02 PM
It's pretty cool that the Sox game was shown it the UK

Banix12
04-11-2005, 12:05 PM
I actually remember liking the UK coverage of baseball when I was over there, except that to watch a game you usually had to stay up pretty late. Though i was up late anyway so it wasn't a big deal. Just my luck though that I lived over there in 2000, the one time the Sox made the playoffs and I could have gotten tickets to the seattle series if I were still in Chicago.

samram
04-11-2005, 12:10 PM
I like the sound of that coverage better, if only because they didn't have to watch Shamu from Bowling for Soup parade around during that dumbass baseball-music catastrophe.

henchmanUK
04-12-2005, 05:59 AM
I like the sound of that coverage better, if only because they didn't have to watch Shamu from Bowling for Soup parade around during that dumbass baseball-music catastrophe.

Unfortunately, we did!