PDA

View Full Version : What was the biggest positive of our 4-2 week?

Mohoney
04-11-2005, 12:54 AM
After the first week of the season, state what you think was the biggest positive thing that you saw from the team.

For me, it has to be Jon Garland outpitching Brad Radke. The fact that our 5th starter can grab a road win like that over a top of the rotation opponent and seal a series victory speaks volumes about our pitching depth. I've never been a fan of this guy, but his stuff looked great last Saturday against the Brewers and yesterday against the Twins. I'm becoming more and more sold on this guy really helping this team and filling that black hole at the end of the rotation that really handcuffed us the past 3 seasons. If Jon can steal 2 or 3 more games like this, not let down when he faces inferior pitchers, and finish with 10 losses or less, I have no doubt that we will end Minnesota's 3 year reign atop our division.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Five consecutive quality starts, Carl making it easier to live without Frank, Pods can fly, and Iguchi looks like the real deal. :smile:

FightingBillini
04-11-2005, 01:04 AM
The way the team wins.

As I said in another thread, look at the streaks the Sox went on in the past few years. Whenever they got hot and went on streaks, it was because they were hitting the lights out, not because of the pitching. Their all or nothing power hitters would all click at the same time, and they would win by 8 and 10 runs every game. All of their streaks were because the hitters caught fire.

The Sox are doing great now. They are 4-2, and could easily have been 6-0. They arent hitting good so far. The Sox are hot because of their pitching. The Sox have a great rotation and a great pen. The hitters will wake up, and this team will be all that much better when they do. This could be a very special year.

MERPER
04-11-2005, 01:16 AM
Everything has been a positive when you are 4-2 after playing the toughest competition in your division. This early stretch is rough... I think we play within our division like 17 of the first 23 games, meaning it can really be a make or break stretch for this squad

So Far So Good!

StillMissOzzie
04-11-2005, 01:37 AM
That the Sox won two series against division rivals, and one of them on the raod to boot.

SMO
:gulp:

SoxSpeed22
04-11-2005, 01:50 AM
The way the team wins.

As I said in another thread, look at the streaks the Sox went on in the past few years. Whenever they got hot and went on streaks, it was because they were hitting the lights out, not because of the pitching. Their all or nothing power hitters would all click at the same time, and they would win by 8 and 10 runs every game. All of their streaks were because the hitters caught fire.

The Sox are doing great now. They are 4-2, and could easily have been 6-0. They arent hitting good so far. The Sox are hot because of their pitching. The Sox have a great rotation and a great pen. The hitters will wake up, and this team will be all that much better when they do. This could be a very special year.At 4-2, they could've been 6-0, but they could've been 1-5 just as easily. It depends on little things. The offense still must gel because small ball doesn't work if no one's on base.

TomParrish79
04-11-2005, 02:34 AM
The pitching for me. Everyone has pitched well.

But heck I am just glad its baseball season. Greatest time of year.

schmitty9800
04-11-2005, 02:58 AM
Definitely El Duque's performance. His stuff is all there. Whether or not he'll hold up remains to be seen, but as long as Ozzie manages his innings well he should be fine.

In regards to the offense, you've got to also look at the quality of pitchers we were up against. Westbrook and Millwood were hitting every spot, and Santana looks just as good as last year.

Navaro's Talent
04-11-2005, 03:23 AM
I think I'll go with Iguchi who has pretty much done everything a manager could ask for. The guy gets on a lot, he moves runners over, he steals, he fouls off a lot of pitches, has pretty good defense so far and doesn't seem to be a selfish hitter at all. He's awesome! :smile:

The Racehorse
04-11-2005, 04:21 AM
1. Garland winning in the 5-hole.

2. Tadahito playing well.

3. Winning each series 2 games to 3 vs Tribe & Twins.

Wild Card [Positive]: SOX ADDICT '73 unveiling his new sig. :cool:

jabrch
04-11-2005, 05:59 AM
The pitching for me. Everyone has pitched well.

I totally agree. The fact that all 5 starters had decent stuff through one turn in the rotation is fantastic news.

Jurr
04-11-2005, 06:04 AM
The cliche of the year...a balanced attack.

So far, we've seen the Sox hit their share of homers (which all good teams can do), but we've also seen them manufacture more runs in a week than we saw in most months last year. We've seen singles strung together, we've seen a base hit become a run scored (Podsednik against Minn on two throwing errors), guys bunting to get on base (twice against Santana alone) and we've seen men moving into scoring position on sac flies which led to RBIs. Home runs are great for your offense, and we'll hit our share of 'em. However, this team can do all of the other things if need be. If we get a fourth or fifth starter, we should tee off on him..homers and doubles galore. But, if we're going against the Santanas, Radkes, Johnsons, or Schillings of the world, we'll be able to hang because of this fundamentally solid approach.

The scary thing about this offense is that it really hasn't gotten its sea legs yet. When they really get going, we can run off 10+ wins in a row easily.

Dan H
04-11-2005, 10:31 AM
Just going 4-2. For so many years, the Sox have gotten off to terrible starts and then couldn't dig themselves out of a hole. A solid April would truly help. Who wants them to come on strong in the end but not have enough do anything? A little consistency would be nice.

Jerko
04-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Winning the game Harris started. Starting pitching. Politte and Hermanson so far. Iguchi. Stolen bases. Not as many GIDPS. Negatives: 3 starters batting below .200 (and one right near .100). Hopefully the pitching will remain consistent and the offense will improve.

soxtalker
04-11-2005, 10:49 AM
It isn't so much Garland winning in the 5th spot, but, rather, Garland getting out of the jam (IIRC, runners on 2nd and 3rd with nobody out). It took a bit of luck, of course, but that just might be huge down the road.

SoxFan48
04-11-2005, 10:55 AM
The biggest positive--situational hitting--most of the HRs hit during the first week came at very opportune times.

The biggest negative--the lack of walks--and that is exactly what OBP is a better stat than BA.

Sox-on-TV44
04-11-2005, 11:01 AM
1.The pitiching:All 5 starters have good stuff.Most notably,MB and El Duque.Garland fits perfectly in the 5th spot,something we had trouble all season last year.
2.The balance of the offense:Sure the Sox went with speed this year.But (except last night),the Sox can still hit the long-ball when they have to.And last week,they were asking "who will lead the Sox in HR's this year?".The answer the folks given was something like 70% said Paulie,and you know that may be true.

DaleJRFan
04-11-2005, 11:03 AM
I am scratching my head as to how the signature above me meets the TOC. :?:

balke
04-11-2005, 12:33 PM
It would have to be Contreras and the Duque for me. Contreras mostly, him getting the no decision in the end may be frustrating, but if he can forget it and move on, I see great things from him.

A couple days ago, they had a poll during the sox game "Which sox starter will have the most wins at the end of the season?"

A) Mark Buerhle
B) Freddy Garcia
C) Another starter

I think Contreras should've had his own letter, because he has a great chance to be our best pitcher.

Second biggest positive is Iguchi playing his guts out, and Pierzynski seemingly cracking the whip on Jon Garland. This team is tougher, nad seems to have a great new tough guy injection in the lineup. We are pushovers no longer.

Third, which may be first.... Hot Carl.

SouthSideSid
04-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Ozzie has the team he wanted and he is winning with them.

That has to be the biggest positive of the week.
The team has shown some heart and the only real downer was
Shigo pitching batting practice in game three. The loss last night
doesn't bother me that much because Santana can be tough as
hell. Would have been nice to take it, but I think the Sox will win
their share of games against tough pitchers if they keep up what they
have started.

Infallible
04-11-2005, 12:38 PM
With exception to the one bad Shingo outing our pitching has looked great. Now if we can find the bats..........

Lip Man 1
04-11-2005, 01:47 PM
No one has gotten hurt (yet...) unlike the Cubbies.

Lip

24thStFan
04-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Our .667 winning percentage. We keep that up and we win 108 games:D:

Ol' No. 2
04-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Being 4-2 against the two main competitors for the Central division.

ma_deuce
04-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Biggest Positive: All the starters look great in thier first games.

Biggest Negative: Joe Crede.

hdog1017
04-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Positives: Konerko and the starting pitching.

Negatives: The bad outing by Shingo and Joe Morgan's analysis of the game on Sunday.

For example, he gives this great analysis of Santana's change up:

"He's got such a good changeup because its always a good changeup."

ma_deuce
04-11-2005, 03:03 PM
Negatives: The bad outing by Shingo and Joe Morgan's analysis of the game on Sunday.

For example, he gives this great analysis of Santana's change up:

"He's got such a good changeup because its always a good changeup."

http://www.capcityspeakers.com/speakers/images/morgan.jpg

"Also, the sky is blue unless its not."

wdelaney72
04-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Lots of things to be excited about, but most of all is that these things translated to wins against divisional opponents.

swanson24
04-11-2005, 09:17 PM
The most positive thing about the White Sox first week is that we are talking about positive things from the White Sox first week. That is my Yogi-ism for today.

Centerfield33
04-12-2005, 10:33 AM
What gives me such a good feeling about things to come is that we're winning games, even tho some of our hitting hasn't come alive yet (and I have no doubt that it will). Being such a well balanced team will equate to wins because when we're down in one area, we have guys who are gonna pick it up. It's nice to see that we can maintain confidence while allowing guys to work thru their early season woes. Alot of our offensive outs are happening despite hitting the ball hard. As the season progresses, the weather warms up, and our guys settle in, we're gonna be the team that fans love to watch.... and I don't mean just Sox fans!
With a team of guys that like each other and the enormous amount of talent they possess, we have the mix that's gonna win alot of ball games. They'll have a fun season and we the fans will have fun watching them have fun!!!!!!

WSox8404
04-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Who can go against the starting pitching? I really only thought we would be set at the top, but so far we are solid all the way through.

PAPChiSox729
04-12-2005, 03:37 PM
It has to be the starting pitching. We have had 5 quality starts in the first 6 days. This team will win games as long their starting 5 are going well. The bullpen has been ok, but I think they can get better. the offense really hasn't woken up yet, but they have come through when they needed to.

surfdudes
04-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Starting Pitching....
So far everybody who has stepped on the mound has given us a chance to win the game.

DaleJRFan
04-12-2005, 03:49 PM
There have been two BIG positives.

Obviously, the starting rotation...
and secondly, I think it has been a big positive that each game, a different player or players come up big. We aren't relying on Carlos Lee of Magglio Ordonez to hit a 3 run homer in the eighth inning to win. We can all recount instances where each player has contributed to the winning run in each game so far. We are manufacturing runs, top to bottom in the order. That will be huge throughout the season. It's great to watch, so far (crossing fingers) KW and Ozzie's plan for this team.

LongLiveFisk
04-12-2005, 04:13 PM
For me it's definitely the starting pitching. Let's see if we can keep it going!!

swanson24
04-12-2005, 05:37 PM
The keys to success throughout this season will be starting pitching, timely hitting and closing out games. Three things that sound simple yet very few major league teams excel at all of these traits. The ones that do take the hardware home in October.

mike squires
04-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Everything has been a positive when you are 4-2 after playing the toughest competition in your division. This early stretch is rough... I think we play within our division like 17 of the first 23 games, meaning it can really be a make or break stretch for this squad

So Far So Good!

Yeah, just wait and see what happends when we play KC and Detroit.:D: