PDA

View Full Version : '05 Sox lacking some killer instinct?

Fake Chet Lemon
04-10-2005, 10:39 PM
We won the first two games in the Indians and Twins series, and instead of putting them away we blow game 3 each time. Making matters worse, we had the lead in BOTH games! Even worse, we had our ace going against the Twins. Now I'm NOT saying the sky is falling and it's panic time or anything. Don't put words in my mouth. But I am a little concerned over this, not a good trend to start the season. Torii Hunter sent a message when he stole 2nd and 3rd base in the 8th when they had a three run lead. A good message for the Twins.

Blueprint1
04-10-2005, 10:39 PM
We never sweep anyone.

santo=dorf
04-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Torii didn't steal third. He stole Joe Crede's foot. :angry:

As long as we are winning series I can't really complain about the team's performance. As for individual's.......

:crede
"What are you looking at me for?"

mealfred13
04-10-2005, 10:41 PM
I'll gladly take 2 out of 3 all season. 2 out of every 3 = 102 wins.

MRKARNO
04-10-2005, 10:45 PM
No.

Jurr
04-10-2005, 10:46 PM
This thread is pathetic. The Sox didn't beat Santana and were constantly victimized by a ridiculous strike zone. Oh well. Killer instinct??? Give me a break.

batmanZoSo
04-10-2005, 10:48 PM
This thread sucks.

mike squires
04-10-2005, 10:49 PM
I will say that I feel somewhat "lucky" to be 5-2 at this point. Despite this record I agree we lack some intensity or something. Something feels weird. Thta being said, I'll take 5-2!!! WE need to take another 2 out of 3 from Cleveland.

Rocklive99
04-10-2005, 10:49 PM
This is why I didn't like all the proclamations about the win on Friday and Saturday, LOSSES ARE GOING TO COME, at least 60 are guaranteed. Carl's comment last week wasn't too far off...

gobears1987
04-10-2005, 10:50 PM
It's more like Crede lacks the killder instinct.

Nard
04-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Nah, these are just coincidences. We had both series closed out, but Shingo and Crede made some mistakes and there you go.

kevingrt
04-10-2005, 10:57 PM
It's more like Crede lacks the killder instinct.

Guys that try in the 8th to get Hunter out at 3B was icnredible. He definately blocked the bag and should have been an out even Joe Morgan said it. I see no lack in killer instinct. The grab by Dye was awesome too. They are showing fully out effort. And you know what if we win 66% of our games I think we will have a playoff spot. The team is fine lets not criticze winning people.

Jurr
04-10-2005, 10:58 PM
Nah, these are just coincidences. We had both series closed out, but Shingo and Crede made some mistakes and there you go.
Yeah..and Buehrle will make some mistakes and Paulie will make some mistakes and Rowand will make some mistakes and yadda yadda yadda. That's why teams don't go 162-0 in baseball. People make mistakes. Sometimes they make them when games and series are being closed out. It happens. I wish everybody would stop crying after how impressive this team has looked to start the year.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-10-2005, 11:00 PM
I'll gladly take 2 out of 3 all season. 2 out of every 3 = 102 wins.
It's true that they'll win the division if they keep winning series after series, though I'd prefer they win them W-L-W instead of W-W-L. Twice now, the Sox have started off making a team look shaky, and ended up giving them some hope for the next time they meet. We'll see the residual effects of last Thursday starting tomorrow in Cleveland.

mealfred13
04-10-2005, 11:10 PM
I will say that I feel somewhat "lucky" to be 5-2 at this point. Despite this record I agree we lack some intensity or something. Something feels weird.

You must not be watching the same games I've been watching.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-10-2005, 11:17 PM
You must not be watching the same games I've been watching.

Without our miracle 9th inning (I was there:smile: ) against Cleveland, we are 3-3. Let's not get too puffy chested yet.

OEO Magglio
04-10-2005, 11:18 PM
This thread has to be a joke, right??

mantis1212
04-10-2005, 11:18 PM
I will say that I feel somewhat "lucky" to be 5-2 at this point. Despite this record I agree we lack some intensity or something. Something feels weird. Thta being said, I'll take 5-2!!! WE need to take another 2 out of 3 from Cleveland.

I'd feel lucky too to be 5-2 after only playing 6 games.

Something feels wierd? How about 5 quality starts out of six games? You're probably used to winning 12-6. We're in good shape here...

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
04-10-2005, 11:19 PM
We won the first two games in the Indians and Twins series, and instead of putting them away we blow game 3 each time. Making matters worse, we had the lead in BOTH games! Even worse, we had our ace going against the Twins. Now I'm NOT saying the sky is falling and it's panic time or anything. Don't put words in my mouth. But I am a little concerned over this, not a good trend to start the season. Torii Hunter sent a message when he stole 2nd and 3rd base in the 8th when they had a three run lead. A good message for the Twins.

ok, we are six games into the season. this is stupid. we had the lead until the 3rd inning, the game was barely started. and hunter didnt steal 3rd, crede got screwed on an outsanding play, a play most infielders wont make. the strike zone was also like 3 feet wide for the twins, it was already said that the announcers were trying to cover it. and their record is 4-2 not 5-2, although i do believe they will be 5-2

kevingrt
04-10-2005, 11:20 PM

Aren't we 4-2 and is the winning making you feel weird or soomething? You better as hell take a winning record.

kevingrt
04-10-2005, 11:21 PM
This thread has to be a joke, right??

Teal anyone?

Fake Chet Lemon
04-10-2005, 11:25 PM
ok, we are six games into the season. this is stupid. we had the lead until the 3rd inning, the game was barely started. and hunter didnt steal 3rd, crede got screwed on an outsanding play, a play most infielders wont make. the strike zone was also like 3 feet wide for the twins, it was already said that the announcers were trying to cover it. and their record is 4-2 not 5-2, although i do believe they will be 5-2

Whether Hunter stole 3rd base or not isn't important. We are missing the point that I think Hunter was telling us with those two steal attempts "Ok, you beat us twice. But there is no quit in us. We aren't going anywhere." I'm a little envious of that, I want some more of that killer instinct in our guys. When Hunter annihilated Burke last year, again more of that killer instinct. What was our reaction? I stand by my post, the Twins still seem to display a little more of that K.I. than the Sox at this current juncture even though we won 2 of 3.

soltrain21
04-10-2005, 11:30 PM
But Hunter was out...so what does that say?

Fake Chet Lemon
04-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Hunter being out says nothing.

Jjav829
04-10-2005, 11:36 PM
If this team is lacking some killer instinct, then I hope they lack it all year to the tune of 2 out of every 3.

A. Cavatica
04-10-2005, 11:57 PM
I will say that I feel somewhat "lucky" to be 5-2 at this point. Despite this record I agree we lack some intensity or something. Something feels weird. Thta being said, I'll take 5-2!!!

Did I miss a game somewhere?

Whitesox029
04-11-2005, 12:00 AM
Whether Hunter stole 3rd base or not isn't important. We are missing the point that I think Hunter was telling us with those two steal attempts "Ok, you beat us twice. But there is no quit in us. We aren't going anywhere." I'm a little envious of that, I want some more of that killer instinct in our guys. When Hunter annihilated Burke last year, again more of that killer instinct. What was our reaction? I stand by my post, the Twins still seem to display a little more of that K.I. than the Sox at this current juncture even though we won 2 of 3.
Losing one game of every series= 110-52. Going 20 over "par" so to speak on that gets us a 90-72 record. Right now? Even par. I'll take it.
Now I'm NOT saying the sky is falling and it's panic time or anything.
Yes you are.
:chickenlittle

GiveMeSox
04-11-2005, 12:34 AM

He didn't steal 3rd at all. Watch the replay very closely and you will see his foot never make contact with the bag at all cuz crede blocked the bag with his leg. Hunters foot slides into credes and just sits on top of creded foot when he applies the tag, no base was touched by hunters foot. What goes around comes around, the twins scored 1 legit run tonight and got away with a win, when they need it the most the next time they wont.

mealfred13
04-11-2005, 12:38 AM
What goes around comes around, the twins scored 1 legit run tonight and got away with a win, when they need it the most the next time they wont.

Funny... I counted 5 legit runs.

JoseCanseco6969
04-11-2005, 12:39 AM
:threadsucks:

Palehose13
04-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Without our miracle 9th inning (I was there:smile: ) against Cleveland, we are 3-3. Let's not get too puffy chested yet.

Well if Cleveland didn't get lucky in that last game of the series and get a Shingo that had nothing the Sox would be 5-1.

Why is it that when the Sox come back and win a game it's luck and when they lose a game it's because they blew it? For some of you there is no winning for this team. Look, they won both series against the two teams that are supposed to be their toughest competition this year. You know...Santana isn't chopped liver out there. I'm not upset to walk away from Minnesota 2-1.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Man the Kool-Aid is thick already, I give up. Everyone is missing what my point was, it certainly wasn't the call at 3rd base. I hope the next time we win the first two in a series we close the deal, that's all. Let's stop this pattern of letting the other team walk away feeling good. If WE lose the first two games of a series but win the last one, we all take a sigh of relief, don't we?

Palehose13
04-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Man the Kool-Aid is thick already, I give up. Everyone is missing what my point was, it certainly wasn't the call at 3rd base. I hope the next time we win the first two in a series we close the deal, that's all. Let's stop this pattern of letting the other team walk away feeling good. If WE lose the first two games of a series but win the last one, we all take a sigh of relief, don't we?

If I'm drinking Kool-Aid then you are drinking poison.

Of course a team takes a sigh of relief when they avoid being swept, but I don't know if they walk away with that much confidence after going 1-2 for the series. I'd love to win every game too, but I don't see why the need to bitch when the Sox have won the first two series against their division rivals. IMO, they have been making a statement.

SoxFan78
04-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Wait, the Sox aren't going to go 162-0? Im done. I emailed brooks and told him I want my money back for my season tickets!

If you are mad that the Sox have won two series in a row, over the top two teams in the Central, what are your expectations. They key to getting to the playoffs are winning series.

Get back from off that ledge, there are 156 games to go.

tstrike2000
04-11-2005, 09:56 AM
I don't think killer instinct is a problem. We have 3 or 4 guys that haven't caught on offensively yet and we're still 5-2. What's going on now doesn't mean much yet. I can think of several teams that have started about the year bad and ended up kicking it into gear in the second half or the Sox of '02 that had a good April and then faded quickly. Even with the loss Sunday night, the "smart ball" worked well with the 2 runs we did get. I love that philosophy and we have a lineup that has a good balance of small ball, speed, and power. Like any team, it's going to come down to the health of our pitching and hopefully a few guys guys like Ozuna can come out of the wood work and be a surprise should we need him.

infohawk
04-11-2005, 10:14 AM

I appreciate your sentiment, but it's hard to sweep anyone. Sweeps happen, but they should be greatly appreciated when they do. Two out of three is great.

I thought going into the game that it was going to be tough to beat Santana in the dome, anyway. Buerhle is good, but he will typically give up around 2 or 3 runs a start. Normally that is a fantastic outing, but Santana may only need 1 or 2 runs to win.

Even though we lost, I thought Sunday night's game was very productive. Mark pitched deep into the game and gave the bullpen another day of rest in a game that wasn't going to decide who won the series anyway. That extra day for Vizcaino was probably huge. Nice to get Hermanson some additional rest as well, even though he could have pitched. Finally, Ozuna got into a game and that can only help in keeping him sharp.

A. Cavatica
04-11-2005, 10:29 AM
We have 3 or 4 guys that haven't caught on offensively yet and we're still 5-2. What's going on now doesn't mean much yet. I can of several teams that have started about the year bad and ended up kicking it into gear in the second half or the Sox of '02 that had a good April and then faded quickly. Even with the loss Sunday night, the "smart ball" worked well with the 2 runs we did get.

1) We are 4-2, not 5-2.
2) There are always some guys who are "cold" over a span of 20 or so at-bats. That's just normal statistical variation. It just looks alarming when you see it at the start of a season. There are also some guys who are "hot" (Everett, Konerko, Iguchi) right now, and they won't keep it up.
3) These games count just as much as September games.
4) It's "small ball", not "smart ball".

We've already seen good pitching, bad pitching, good hitting, bad hitting, good defense, bad defense, good baserunning, bad baserunning, good managing, and bad managing. It's too soon to extrapolate ANY of those trends to the whole season. We got off to a 4-2 start against CLE and MIN and we'll be satisified with that -- but unfortunately we can't extrapolate the W-L record either.

tstrike2000
04-11-2005, 10:42 AM
1) We are 4-2, not 5-2.
2) There are always some guys who are "cold" over a span of 20 or so at-bats. That's just normal statistical variation. It just looks alarming when you see it at the start of a season. There are also some guys who are "hot" (Everett, Konerko, Iguchi) right now, and they won't keep it up.
3) These games count just as much as September games.
4) It's "small ball", not "smart ball".

We've already seen good pitching, bad pitching, good hitting, bad hitting, good defense, bad defense, good baserunning, bad baserunning, good managing, and bad managing. It's too soon to extrapolate ANY of those trends to the whole season. We got off to a 4-2 start against CLE and MIN and we'll be satisified with that -- but unfortunately we can't extrapolate the W-L record either.

Oops, 4-2, not 5-2. You seem to be overanalyzing what I'm trying to say. Of course order 1-9 is not all going to be hot at the same time. I'm only pointing out what April is when guys are still trying to find their stride offensively. I disagree that these mean just as much as September games. Yes, every month is important, but September is when teams in the hunt are really putting it together. 6 games into the season is too early to tell. Ozzie calls "small ball" "smart ball", that's where I got that from.

DaleJRFan
04-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Torii didn't steal third. He stole Joe Crede's foot. :angry:

That was baseball instinct, if I've ever seen it. Good play by Joe totally screwed up by the umpire. Too bad for Joe. Metal spikes in the side of your leg cannot feel good.

CHISOXFAN13
04-11-2005, 11:16 AM

So if you are going to play that game, does the third game against Cleveland go into the "win" column since the Indians had a "miracle" finish or is just that their killer instinct coming back to haunt us?

The Racehorse
04-11-2005, 11:18 AM
So far, all the question marks we had all falling into the 'working out' column, versus the 'not working out' column...

1. Piching production is the 5-hole.
2. El Duque's health.
3. Jose Contreras pitching well [post ST].
4. Tadahito Iguchi playing well.
5. More than enough power in the offense, post Maggs & El Caballo [and while waiting for Big Frank to return]...

... the only thing on my radar right now is Shingo. But if he can't get it done, the SOX have options.

jabrch
04-11-2005, 11:30 AM
It's true that they'll win the division if they keep winning series after series, though I'd prefer they win them W-L-W instead of W-W-L.

I fair to see how anyone can have a preference of W-L-W or W-W-L. As long as we win 2/3 of our games, I don't care if we do it L-L-L-L-W-W-W-W-W-W.

Win 66% of your games any way you can and it is a good season.

CHISOXFAN13
04-11-2005, 11:33 AM
I fair to see how anyone can have a preference of W-L-W or W-W-L. As long as we win 2/3 of our games, I don't care if we do it L-L-L-L-W-W-W-W-W-W.

Add two more "W" to get to 66 percent.
:)

jabrch
04-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Let's stop this pattern of letting the other team walk away feeling good.

I GUARANTEE you Minnesota didn't feel good about losing 2 or 3 at home to us. And I guarantee you the Indians didn't leave USCF saying, "Geez - we won a game out of a 3 game series. That's great."

Both teams had to be pissed off that they lost 2 of 3 to us. The order they were won/lost is irrelevant. No team with playoff aspirations feels good about losing a series to a division rival. This isn't Tampa vs the Yanks where sometimes the Rays could be happy to win one game.

Jerko
04-11-2005, 11:34 AM
I know what you're saying about W-W-L, but 4 out of 6 is ok in my book. True, we've had the lead in both games we lost, but once we were down 4-2 Santana retired the next 11 or so batters IIRC. I blame the lack of sweeps on people who bring brooms to the final games.......

Palehose13
04-11-2005, 11:35 AM
So if you are going to play that game, does the third game against Cleveland go into the "win" column since the Indians had a "miracle" finish or is just that their killer instinct coming back to haunt us?

That was my point in one of my other posts. Thank you for saying it more eloquently.

jabrch
04-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Add two more "W" to get to 66 percent.
:)

I didn't know there was going to be any Math today! :)

CHISOXFAN13
04-11-2005, 11:42 AM
That was my point in one of my other posts. Thank you for saying it more eloquently.

I was so upset when I saw the original post that I jumped to the end to reply without seeing your post.

Great minds, with the same number in their handles, obviously think alike. :D:

MisterB
04-11-2005, 11:48 AM

The drawback in going W-W-L in a 3 game series is that you may lack momentum going into the next series (which might make it harder to win 2 of 3). Also, it will be interesting to see how the Indians play against us in this series considering how the first series ended. They should have some confidence that they can get to our bullpen, especially Takatsu.

Palehose13
04-11-2005, 11:49 AM
I was so upset when I saw the original post that I jumped to the end to reply without seeing your post.

Great minds, with the same number in their handles, obviously think alike. :D:

:D:

SouthSideSid
04-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Killer instinct is an overrated idea in baseball.
Teams don't have "killer instincts" - some players are
better in the clutch than others - and some teams have
more of those players. This is part of what has kept the
Twins ahead of us over the last three years.
But, this is a new Chisox team and we will have
to give it more than a week before we decide if we have
more of those clutch players than the other teams.
That being said - I can't feel anything but optimistic after the
first two series. The Sox showed me something great in game 2,
then game 3 was should have been won. Winning two in Minn is
great - even though the were winning game three - up 2-0 in the third
against Santana isn't exactly having your boot on the Twins throat.

Whitesox029
04-11-2005, 04:24 PM
No we don't take a sigh of relief. We sit around and nitpick about some stupid little thing that cost us one of the other games. After L-L-W we post things like "Well I'm glad we won today but that error by Harris really killed us in game 2."

Fake Chet Lemon
04-11-2005, 06:03 PM
No we don't take a sigh of relief. We sit around and nitpick about some stupid little thing that cost us one of the other games. After L-L-W we post things like "Well I'm glad we won today but that error by Harris really killed us in game 2."

Excellent point, I stand corrected.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-13-2005, 11:21 PM
A chance for redemption in Cleveland. I'm glad we have Hernandez going, he's the type of pitcher you want when going for the kill shot.

doublem23
04-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Even the best teams have to lose every now and then. :rolleyes:

jordan23ventura
04-14-2005, 04:07 AM

We've had TWO losses! TWO! Like, one loss and then one more. There's no cause for concern. A good argument can be made that if we had last years ballclub opening against what I think is a slightly improved Minnesota and a much improved Cleveland, we could very well be 4-4 or worse. Besides, as already mentioned before, we were going against the 2004 Cy Young winner AND the umpiring in one of those games. Any team in baseball would have had a hard time beating the Twins that day.

hawkjt
04-14-2005, 04:55 PM
oh,oh- the sox went and won the first two in cleveland. They must not have read the memo about w,l,w order of winning. They are screwed. This becomes the biggest game of the year tonite or else this w,w,l, trend will be set in stone the rest of the year and we will only win 108 games but will lose the last game of the regular season thereby killing all momentum going into that playoff series.

Sorry could not resist. Just happy we are 6-2, keep it rolling tonite . Go Sox.

Ol' No. 2
04-14-2005, 05:08 PM
When I first saw the title of this thread I decided to skip it. But I got bored and decide to read it. I should have paid attention to my first instinct. This is stupid. Maybe they should have thrown last night's game so they could have won today and gone W-L-W instead of maybe W-W-L.:?:

Tied for the best record in baseball and people are STILL bitching. Jeez.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-14-2005, 10:51 PM
oh,oh- the sox went and won the first two in cleveland. They must not have read the memo about w,l,w order of winning. They are screwed. This becomes the biggest game of the year tonite or else this w,w,l, trend will be set in stone the rest of the year and we will only win 108 games but will lose the last game of the regular season thereby killing all momentum going into that playoff series.

Sorry could not resist. Just happy we are 6-2, keep it rolling tonite . Go Sox.

And the Sox couldn't resist losing game 3 in Cleveland.......they are letting up some after winning the first two. They are satisfied like almost everyone else on this site with that. Ozzie, lite a fire. IT'S A BAD TREND, STOP IT. Go for the kill.

Baby Fisk
04-14-2005, 11:30 PM
And the Sox couldn't resist losing game 3 in Cleveland.......they are letting up some after winning the first two. They are satisfied like almost everyone else on this site with that. Ozzie, lite a fire. IT'S A BAD TREND, STOP IT. Go for the kill.

If they sweep a series, will you finally let it go?

MRKARNO
04-14-2005, 11:42 PM

The whole premise of this thread is BS. You're assuming that the White Sox didnt try hard enough to win this game and I see no evidence of that whatsoever. Correlation does not indicate causation. It was a fluke that they would lose three games like that in a row, but I like the trend of winning 2 out of three in every series myself. Cotts pitched like crap. Everett had a bad read. Cora made a great defensive play in the 9th. Those can be pointed to more than anything as to why the White Sox lost today, not because they didnt want it.

In the Twins series, they just got shown who was boss in that particular game by Santana and in the first Tribe series, Shingo flat out blew it. It's not a team issue, it the issue of individuals not performing quite as well in the last games of series.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-15-2005, 09:16 AM
If they sweep a series, will you finally let it go?

HAPPILY YES:smile: (but a 2-game series doesn't count:(: ).

Jjav829
04-15-2005, 09:20 AM
The problem with this thread is that it assumes the killer instinct of the other team doesn't have anything to do with the outcome of the final game. In each case, the other team has a lot to play for as they don't want to get swept, especially on their home field. Don't think the Tribe and the Twins weren't trying like hell to avoid being swept.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-15-2005, 09:26 AM
The problem with this thread is that it assumes the killer instinct of the other team doesn't have anything to do with the outcome of the final game. In each case, the other team has a lot to play for as they don't want to get swept, especially on their home field. Don't think the Tribe and the Twins weren't trying like hell to avoid being swept.

That actually WAS part of my thought process. I look at these games for the team down 0-2 as near playoff intensity for them. Not quite of course, but approaching. The Sox aren't reacting well to that. Not only the official errors, but overall defense seems to slip some. If we play in October, we'll have to reach up to that level. Let's start to learn now. You just can't turn the switch on later, let's take a baby-step the next time we are up 2-0 in a series.

Jjav829
04-15-2005, 09:35 AM
That actually WAS part of my thought process. I look at these games for the team down 0-2 as near playoff intensity for them. Not quite of course, but approaching. The Sox aren't reacting well to that. Not only the official errors, but overall defense seems to slip some. If we play in October, we'll have to reach up to that level. Let's start to learn now. You just can't turn the switch on later, let's take a baby-step the next time we are up 2-0 in a series.

I understand your point and I wish the Sox could have swept one of these series just as bad as you. But there's something to be said about the killer instinct it takes to go on the road and win the first two games of a series against a tough divisional opponent. Not only did the Sox win the first two games on the road against the Twins and Indians, they did it in each teams home opener. There's some serious killer instinct involved in doing that.

Brian26
04-15-2005, 10:12 AM

Geezuz. If we keep this pace up, we're on track to win 100 games this season. One of our losses was against one of the top 3 or 4 pitchers in baseball.

Relax.

jabrch
04-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Killer Instinct...

That one goes right there with "heart", "desire" and "passion".

You do not get to this level (with a few exceptions) by not caring, not trying hard and being lazy. You do not stay at this level by not caring, not trying and being lazy.

If you think a Guillen led team is slacking off, just because they are 6-3 and lost the third game in each of their first three serieses, I don't think you understand much about Guillen, or pro-athletes in general.

We are 6-3 vs the top two teams in our division that we will be competing with. We won 2 serieses on the road. We have had great pitching from all 5 of our starters.

If we lost the first game of each series, came back to win the second two, some people would bitch that we are lazy out the get-go and then use our great "killer instinct" to recover.

That's crap. Losing game 3 in 3 serieses is not enough of a sample, nor is it even remotely correlated to "killer instinct".

kittle42
04-15-2005, 10:35 AM
From the premise of this thread, it can basically be argued that W-L-W or L-W-W is better than W-W-L.

That is ridiculous.

2-1 is 2-1.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-15-2005, 11:04 AM
From the premise of this thread, it can basically be argued that W-L-W or L-W-W is better than W-W-L.

That is ridiculous.

2-1 is 2-1.

but if you lose that 3rd game EVERY SINGLE STINKING TIME I think it means SOMETHING, that's all. it's april, plenty of time to stop the trend. i'm not saying we won't by any means.

wildcat
04-15-2005, 11:11 AM
but if you lose that 3rd game EVERY SINGLE STINKING TIME I think it means SOMETHING, that's all. it's april, plenty of time to stop the trend. i'm not saying we won't by any means.

Sure it could mean *something*, but maybe it means that they played so intensely in winning the first two games that they didn't have quite enough left for the third one. If you lose the 3rd game every series, home or away (but only the third), you're pretty much guaranteed to go to the playoffs. And then in the 7-game World Series, it's fine to win 2, lose 1, win the next 2. :D:

jabrch
04-15-2005, 11:19 AM

Yeah, it means you won 108 games, and went on to win the World Series.

It means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING unless you for some reason think they are playing less hard in game 3 than in games 1 and 2.

And the sample size you are using here, 3 serieses, is insufficient to draw any conclusions.

stillz
04-15-2005, 11:32 AM
I want to be a part of the end of this thread. There's nothing to indicate a lack of intensity in the first three losses. Baseball's complicated and the season is long. We'll continue to learn about the scrappiness and killer instinct of this club as times goes on, but so far, the only trend I see is a 6-3 record, two road series victories and the ability to win tight ballgames.

kittle42
04-15-2005, 12:01 PM
I want to be a part of the end of this thread. There's nothing to indicate a lack of intensity in the first three losses. Baseball's complicated and the season is long. We'll continue to learn about the scrappiness and killer instinct of this club as times goes on, but so far, the only trend I see is a 6-3 record, two road series victories and the ability to win tight ballgames.

No! The first week or two of the season is completely indicative of how the rest of the season will play out. Don't you read these message boards?

Brian26
04-15-2005, 01:26 PM
but if you lose that 3rd game EVERY SINGLE STINKING TIME I think it means SOMETHING, that's all.

Its means absolutely NOTHING. Unbelievable.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-16-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm feeling good about Freddy Garcia Sunday being the one to legitimately kill this thread once and for all. Come on Ozzie, bring home a sweeeeeep!!

Whitesox029
04-16-2005, 04:42 PM
I sincerely hope that this thread isn't going to jump to the top of the clubhouse every time the Sox win the first two games of a series. I'm tired of it already.

voodoochile
04-16-2005, 04:49 PM
I sincerely hope that this thread isn't going to jump to the top of the clubhouse every time the Sox win the first two games of a series. I'm tired of it already.

I agree... problem solved...

G-Ville Sox
04-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Are the White Sox lacking the killer instinct early in the season. We held the lead opening series against Cleveland and blew it. Ran into Johan Santana, then let one get away against Cleveland again. Right now we are down 5-3, but it just seems the last game there is no intensity....anyone else see this?

:gulp: