PDA

View Full Version : AJ or Mauer?

jake27
04-10-2005, 08:40 PM
While watching todays game, i was thinking... would I rather have AJ or Mauer for this year at catcher (only this year, lose them after this year and get nothign ins return type thing). Iys hard, but I would have to go with AJ. He is a vet and will help the pitchers... especially with the Twins. Mauer is young and could put up some numbers, but he had some health problems in spring training and won't have hte knowledge that AJ has. Mauer has a bigger upside... but is a bigger risk.

Stroker Ace
04-10-2005, 08:44 PM
AJ easily. He's a veteran, and you don'y know if Mauer will hold up for the season.

BigEdWalsh
04-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Realistically, I'd choose AJ. Both are on my fantasy team.

GiveMeSox
04-10-2005, 10:51 PM
While watching todays game, i was thinking... would I rather have AJ or Mauer for this year at catcher (only this year, lose them after this year and get nothign ins return type thing). Iys hard, but I would have to go with AJ. He is a vet and will help the pitchers... especially with the Twins. Mauer is young and could put up some numbers, but he had some health problems in spring training and won't have hte knowledge that AJ has. Mauer has a bigger upside... but is a bigger risk.

AJ is a career .295 hitter and played in the MLB for years. Mauer has not and is still almost a rookie.

Epark84
04-10-2005, 11:37 PM
this year you could make a case for AJ...Long term mauer without a doubt

owensmouth
04-11-2005, 02:32 AM
The real question is if the Twins are ultimitely going to be recognized as having gotten the best guy in that draft.

skobabe8
04-11-2005, 02:36 AM
AJ is the outcast no one wants. Mauer is the all-american boy that the ladies love. everyone knows AJ is a better fit on the south side.

FightingBillini
04-11-2005, 02:39 AM
This year you could make a case for AJ? OK, but you could barely make a case for Mauer for this year alone. AJ is still pretty young, and he is a great hitting catcher. His career average in the AL is over .300. He also calls a very good game. Mauer, on the other hand, can be better if he can ever stay healthy. He has BAD knee problems. He has had multiple knee surguries. That is bad news for any 21 year old, let alone a catcher. The way things are going for him now, he will be a full time DH by the age of 24 and out of baseball before 30. If the Twins want to keep him around for the long haul, they need to find him a new position.

ChicagoHoosier
04-11-2005, 08:52 AM

Exactly. Mauer is still unproven. How good will he be? For now, AJ is the better answer. Long term... still TBD. Who's to say Mauer never reaches his potential?

seahawk037
04-11-2005, 09:44 AM
AJ is the outcast no one wants. Mauer is the all-american boy that the ladies love. everyone knows AJ is a better fit on the south side.

I'd take AJ in a heartbeat, solid. It's gonna take Mauer a couple injury free years to get settled in.

Is it just me or does Mauer look like Mark Prior's little brother?

DaleJRFan
04-11-2005, 11:08 AM
Is it just me or does Mauer look like Mark Prior's little brother?

It's the kweer sideburns.

Tekijawa
04-11-2005, 11:13 AM
AJ for this year, but if the next 10 years counted in this poll, Mauer...