PDA

View Full Version : Carlos Lee slides Hard into Walker who is out 4-6 weeks

Banix12
04-10-2005, 05:31 PM
So I guess he can slide hard into the second baseman. It looked like Lee was trying to separate Todd Walker's legs from the rest of his body.

Looks like Lee got hurt on the play as well.

depy48
04-10-2005, 05:32 PM
i was just going to post this....
what a slide!!

Jjav829
04-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Man, this took about 10 seconds from the time of the slide to the post. :D:

Walker just left the game limping. The way Lee's leg went into Walker's knee did not look good. I wish nothing bad on him, but it didn't look good for Walker.

DickAllen72
04-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Stupid Cub fans booing Carlos for a clean attempt to break up a double play.

Carlos slid right into the base, hitting the base just below his knee and bending his leg back. Hard slide, but clean and the brunt of the force was Carlos knee against the base. Walker flipped because he was slow to get out of the way and appears hurt.

Cub fans don't appreciate good baseball.

(Edit) PS. This could turn out to be a good break for the Cubs, cause Hairston is way better at 2B than Walker anyway, but Dusty is too stupid to know that on his own. Now he'll find out. Dang!

Banix12
04-10-2005, 05:39 PM
Looks like Lee got hurt on the play as well.

I guess lee is fine, I thought both looked a bit shaken on the play. Now that I see the replay, Walker's knee looked bad. I'm shocked he stayed in for that last play.

Jerry Seinfeld
04-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Did anyone else just notice that half of the fans behind homeplate left after Barrett struck out?

ChiSoxRowand
04-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Did anyone else just notice that half of the fans behind homeplate left after Barrett struck out?

There are a lot of fans that have left. Look down the right field line.

gobears1987
04-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Did anyone see CLee slide into Walker? Why didn't he ever do that for the Sox. He ended up giving him a sprained ankle.

santo=dorf
04-10-2005, 11:24 PM
I think the more important question is what the hell did Carlos eat???

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/65cda1fc/6294/__sr_/621c.jpg?phOJfWCBF4526uBp

mealfred13
04-10-2005, 11:28 PM
I think he ate Todd Walker apparently....lmao....

santo=dorf
04-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Todd, not Larry (the good one.) :wink:

Viva Medias B's
04-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Just think that if Lee slid like that against the Twins, he still might be with us.

DumpJerry
04-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Maybe this is his way of letting Ozzie know that he should not have been traded....after all, the Sox were playing Torii and Co, today.

Chisox003
04-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Just think that if Lee slid like that against the Twins, he still might be with us.

I dunno about that, either way him or Konerko were going, and I think ozzie likes Konerko more either way...

I was going to start a thread about this too....What a slide, I thought he seperated Walkers lower half from the rest of his body

I miss C Lee....I wish him and the Brewers a lot of luck this year

3rd place for the Brew Crew in 2005....You heard it here first

mealfred13
04-11-2005, 12:16 AM
Todd, not Larry (the good one.) :wink:

Whoops! *edited*

Shorty1983
04-11-2005, 12:27 AM
I put them going head to head with Houston for 2nd place. Spivey is a good leadoff man to have on your team quick at 2nd and is speedy. Clark and Spivey look to be the running threats on base, stealing a few bags. Overbay can put some good numbers up in the middle of that lineup and C.Lee to cleanup looks good for the young brewers team. I have J.J Hardy as rookie of the year in the NL. The pen has been shutting down the Cubs offense, I like this team's potential and watching the young guns embarass the Cubs on opening day and throughtout the season.

:gulp: Brew Crew and C.Lee the ultimate Cubs-Killer!

Clement's beard
04-11-2005, 01:22 AM
(Edit) PS. This could turn out to be a good break for the Cubs, cause Hairston is way better at 2B than Walker anyway, but Dusty is too stupid to know that on his own. Now he'll find out. Dang!

That's crazy. Todd Walker is a damn good hitter and this will signifigantly weaken the Cubs bench. If you are talking about defense, fine. If you are talking about offense, there is no comparison.

Man Soo Lee
04-11-2005, 02:48 AM
So I guess he can slide hard into the second baseman.

It's funny that Lee has this reputation based on a play that I'd bet nobody even remembers. Over the last 5+ years, Carlos (along with Valentin, Graffanino, and Singleton) was one of the best we had at trying to break up double plays.

On the force play that Ozzie referred to after the Hunter-Burke collision, the Twins weren't even able to double up Konerko (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gameLog?gameId=240726104). I couldn't tell you if Carlos broke it up, if it was a slowly hit ball, or if Konerko's blazing speed allowed him to beat the throw. It just seems silly that this is used as justification for a trade that was primarily about money.

skobabe8
04-11-2005, 03:06 AM
There are a lot of fans that have left. Look down the right field line.

That place clears out around the 7th every game. Gotta hit the bars!

DumpJerry
04-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Despite wearing a different uniform, it looks like el Caballo is still a member of:

:churrosarmy:

Clembasbal
04-11-2005, 10:43 AM
I always remember Carlos going in late and hard into 2nd base. A few times he didn't and the big one was against the Twins after the Burke thingy. That is what really upset Ozzie. He went in hard about 90% of the time.

Tekijawa
04-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Carlos Sliding hard!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-050411cubswalker,1,6791623.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Tekijawa
04-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Walker is now out 4-6 weeks with an MCL sprain... guess Carlos and his wife must be fighting!http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-050411cubswalker,1,6791623.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

ewokpelts
04-11-2005, 12:31 PM
ozzie's a company man.....he's bashing lee because lee's no longer an employee....his job is to make lee look like a clubhouse cancer...if ozzie had aproblem with lee, it should have beenaddress during lee's tenure....funny how no one heard ANYTHING about lee being a clubhouse cancer BEFORE the trade....
Gene

ewokpelts
04-11-2005, 12:32 PM
It's funny that Lee has this reputation based on a play that I'd bet nobody even remembers. Over the last 5+ years, Carlos (along with Valentin, Graffanino, and Singleton) was one of the best we had at trying to break up double plays.

On the force play that Ozzie referred to after the Hunter-Burke collision, the Twins weren't even able to double up Konerko (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gameLog?gameId=240726104). I couldn't tell you if Carlos broke it up, if it was a slowly hit ball, or if Konerko's blazing speed allowed him to beat the throw. It just seems silly that this is used as justification for a trade that was primarily about money.
:reinsy
damm! you figured me out! ozzie, take care of him....

:ozzie
yes lord sidious

CubKilla
04-11-2005, 12:33 PM
It's funny that Lee has this reputation based on a play that I'd bet nobody even remembers.

On the force play that Ozzie referred to after the Hunter-Burke collision, the Twins weren't even able to double up Konerko (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gameLog?gameId=240726104).

Ozzie should have had retribution exacted on Hunter during the game in which the Burke collison happened. End of story.

Clembasbal
04-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Carlos Sliding hard!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-050411cubswalker,1,6791623.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

This reminds me of a Justin Timberlake Song... "Cry Me a River."

Shorty1983
04-11-2005, 01:21 PM
Todd played it off like he wasn't hurt and got right back up to play. Their was no way Walker walked away pain-free, by the way C.Lee was down you knew somebody was hurt. Hairston will be playing for the meantime, he's 0-8.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Don't nobody rejoice over this. First, karma is a b**ch. And second, I don't want the Cubs to have an excuse to suck this year. They don't need one.

Brian26
04-11-2005, 02:18 PM
Carlos Sliding hard!

:whiner:

There's goes the pennant.

Brian26
04-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Don't nobody rejoice over this. First, karma is a b**ch.

That's correct....karma IS a bitch. WE lost our #3 and #4 hitters for over half the season last year. As far as I'm concerned, the crybabies still have one or two more injuries coming their way. Let's see that ship sink when Ramirez and Lee go down.:angry:

DumpJerry
04-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Ozzie should have had retribution exacted on Hunter during the game in which the Burke collison happened. End of story.
Agreed 100%. He could have brought in Mike Jackson to drill someone. He would not have been missed during a 10 day suspension.

illinibk
04-11-2005, 02:32 PM
it seemed like a hard slide, but kind of dirty how he brought up his right leg at the last second to take out Walker. Not any more dirty than most slides you will see however. But, as Lee got up after being checked out by the trainers, it sounded like there were scattered boos. I don't know if the boos were because he broke up the DP, or if they were just because Lee was alright. But knowing Cub fans, they were probably booing because he was alright.

balke
04-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Walker is now out 4-6 weeks with an MCL sprain... guess Carlos and his wife must be fighting!http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-050411cubswalker,1,6791623.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Holy crap... that was a dirty slide by Carlos, but wow, I didn't think Walker got hurt. "CURSES! WHY THE CURSES GOD!?"

Jjav829
04-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Neifi Perez is starting at 2B today and Jerry Hairston is pissed. He said something to the effect of, "The best news I've gotten all day is that I'm a free agent at the end of the year." And really, can you blame the guy? I mean it seemed like a forgone conclusion that with Walker down, Hairston would start. Yet Dusty trots freaking Neifi Perez out there. Hairston hasn't been given a fair shot with the Cubs. They didn't give him a fair shot to win the left field job. Then when they finally get a chance to put a real leadoff hitter in the lineup, Dusty turns to Neifi Perez! What a joke. I feel bad for him because I really like Hairston. Before we signed Iguchi, I was hoping Kenny would trade for Hairston.

Hairston also made some other comments about feeling like he's already been labeled a utility player. Hey Jerry, once I become a GM you can start for my team. :cool:

samram
04-11-2005, 02:54 PM
Neifi Perez is starting at 2B today and Jerry Hairston is pissed. He said something to the effect of, "The best news I've gotten all day is that I'm a free agent at the end of the year." And really, can you blame the guy? I mean it seemed like a forgone conclusion that with Walker down, Hairston would start. Yet Dusty trots freaking Neifi Perez out there. Hairston hasn't been given a fair shot with the Cubs. They didn't give him a fair shot to win the left field job. Then when they finally get a chance to put a real leadoff hitter in the lineup, Dusty turns to Neifi Perez! What a joke. I feel bad for him because I really like Hairston. Before we signed Iguchi, I was hoping Kenny would trade for Hairston.

Hairston also made some other comments about feeling like he's already been labeled a utility player. Hey Jerry, once I become a GM you can start for my team. :cool:

Yeah, let's face it, Dusty has certain players who are 'his guys' that seem to get the benefit of the doubt, and Neifi is one of them.

Shorty1983
04-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Despite wearing a different uniform, it looks like el Caballo is still a member of:

:churrosarmy:

He's branded for life with the White Sox mentality.

ma_deuce
04-11-2005, 02:57 PM
Neifi Perez is starting at 2B today...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

...I mean, "good choice!" :whistle:

CubKiller5
04-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Someone told me this morning that Carlos rambled over Walker & he's out now. Is this true? If so then I guess Ozzie's comments got to him.

I like that the money they saved was spent wisely but I just wish it would have come at the expense of someone other than Lee. If Lee is playing that hard for the Brewers then it's hard for me to believe that Ozzie couldn't have just talked to him in private about that game.

I've read in the news that Lee was a private guy & didn't spend much time with team mates & such but as a fan who loved watching him play he was the greatest. He always smiled at us, threw us a ball at times & was always a joy to talk to or get an autograph from out there in LF.

I still hold out hope when his contract expires he might come back :wink:

Rocklive99
04-11-2005, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't say rambled over, but he slid in there with the intention of breaking up the DP, it wasn't cheap though since he slid right into the base. Walker's legs were in the way while he was trying to jump and he toppled over. It looked like Lee had the worst of it after he couldn't get up for a minute or two and Walker had stayed in the game for a little, but I guess he got hurt too

The Ozzie comment was the exact thing I was thinking of while it was happening

Rocklive99
04-11-2005, 03:19 PM

Yeah, Dusty is a joke. I remember Hairston's interview on the Score when he got traded here, and he said he'd still always cheer for the Sox and was a big time Sox fan (except when he plays us) because of his ties with his dad.

gocubs
04-11-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm not too sure that slide was clean, it looked like Lee intentionally raised his leg to cause more damage than just breaking up a double play. Many people in the know are agreeing that it was a borderline slide to say the least. Love or hate a baseball team, it's never cool to see a player get hurt. I would hope that all us true White Sox fans would agree with that. Not like it matters, but I do agree, Hairston is better at second than Walker, but Walker has a better bat in clutch situations, plus Hairston hasn't whinned about the annoucers...yet. And hopefully true baseball fans won't make any lame blanket statements like "Cubs fans don't appreciate good baseball" or "Twins suck" or anything high school-ish comments like that. Let's try to be above caveman-like comments like that. Go Sox!Stupid Cub fans booing Carlos for a clean attempt to break up a double play.

Carlos slid right into the base, hitting the base just below his knee and bending his leg back. Hard slide, but clean and the brunt of the force was Carlos knee against the base. Walker flipped because he was slow to get out of the way and appears hurt.

Cub fans don't appreciate good baseball.

D. TODD
04-11-2005, 06:35 PM
I'm not too sure that slide was clean, it looked like Lee intentionally raised his leg to cause more damage than just breaking up a double play. Many people in the know are agreeing that it was a borderline slide to say the least. Love or hate a baseball team, it's never cool to see a player get hurt. I would hope that all us true White Sox fans would agree with that. Not like it matters, but I do agree, Hairston is better at second than Walker, but Walker has a better bat in clutch situations, plus Hairston hasn't whinned about the annoucers...yet. And hopefully true baseball fans won't make any lame blanket statements like "Cubs fans don't appreciate good baseball" or "Twins suck" or anything high school-ish comments like that. Let's try to be above caveman-like comments like that. Go Sox! That was a good clean slide in my opinion. The ball was not hit hard enough for turning two, and Walker put himself in harms way trying to turn it when C.Lee was right on top of him. Lee went to get a piece of Walker on his throw, which is his job nothing dirty about that.

D. TODD
04-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Every second baseman knows that contact is coming and coming hard when the runner is right on top of him. that's why you see the Robbie alomar's of the world go airborne to avoid being planted on the throw.

soxfan43
04-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Anyone hear Harry today on ESPN1000 crying about walker getting hurt? So funny. I guess walker is going to be on with them soon, shoudl be good

Hangar18
04-11-2005, 06:56 PM
It was a hard-nosed, old-school, take-out-the-guy-at-2nd slide.
The fact that it was a Cub has the Cub-Loving Media angry and out for blood.
ho-hum. Look for Media Troll Mike Murphy to devote 95% of his show
to the evil that is Carlos Lee. Good for you Caballo

soxfan43
04-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Walker didn't sound to pissed, despite harry trying to goad him into talking trash. he did say clee isn't very cooridinated, which was pretty funny.

Hangar18
04-11-2005, 07:18 PM
YES, Todd Walker was on the radio just now, said it was CLee's uncoordinatedness that led to him hurting him. I say it is the Baseball Gods
ready for retribution against the Cubs. (Prior injury is DUE ......by JUNE)
This is simply the case of the Chicago Media trying to help the cubs,
this is a non-story

TommyJohn
04-11-2005, 07:24 PM
YES, Todd Walker was on the radio just now, said it was CLee's uncoordinatedness that led to him hurting him. I say it is the Baseball Gods
ready for retribution against the Cubs. (Prior injury is DUE ......by JUNE)
This is simply the case of the Chicago Media trying to help the cubs,
this is a non-story

Why would the "Baseball Gods" have it in for Prior or the Cubs?

Anyway, I hope that El Duque doesn't break an arm, or Buehrle a foot,
or Pods a hamstring. Those "baseball gods" are pissy that way, like
when Ordonez and Thomas went down last year.

I do agree with you on one score; the Chicago Media will bay
for CLee's blood. Moron Screamalotti might write about the
curse manifestation, how giggly Sox fans are happy and how
Carlos has no class and it is no coincidence that no class
Carlos played for the White Sox.

DickAllen72
04-11-2005, 07:27 PM
And hopefully true baseball fans won't make any lame blanket statements like "Cubs fans don't appreciate good baseball" or "Twins suck" or anything high school-ish comments like that. Let's try to be above caveman-like comments like that. Go Sox!

The Twins don't suck, the Cubs do. And if someone really appreciates good baseball they probably won't be a Cubs fan.