PDA

View Full Version : The Case Against ESPN - I need your help!

32nd&Wallace
04-10-2005, 01:38 PM
A few months ago there was a very good thread posted here. An ESPN baseball columnist had wrote something to the fact that the White Sox did nothing to upgrade themselves during the offseeason. I think it might have been Rob Neyer. Anyways, one studious Sox fan wrote him an email correcting him and showing him all the moves the Sox had made. Neyer wrote him back mentioning how his "research assistants" forgot to do this.
Can anyone please help me with the details of this? Was it Neyer? What did he write and what did the Sox fan do to correct him?

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-10-2005, 01:39 PM
It was Neyer. I'm pretty sure the major thing that Neyer forgot to mention was the acquisition of Jermaine Dye.

johnny_mostil
04-10-2005, 01:41 PM
A few months ago there was a very good thread posted here. An ESPN baseball columnist had wrote something to the fact that the White Sox did nothing to upgrade themselves during the offseeason. I think it might have been Rob Neyer. Anyways, one studious Sox fan wrote him an email correcting him and showing him all the moves the Sox had made. Neyer wrote him back mentioning how his "research assistants" forgot to do this.
Can anyone please help me with the details of this? Was it Neyer? What did he write and what did the Sox fan do to correct him?

It was Neyer, in a column about the ten worst offseasons; he'd completely forgotten about Dye -- whom he had just recently called a stupendous bargain -- he apologized and took the White Sox off the list.

I bet hundreds of us e-mailed him (I sure as heck did) because his apology recognized that he'd been deluged with mail.

FoulTerritory
04-10-2005, 02:00 PM
And now he's picked the Sox to win the division . . . perhaps a manifestation of the guilt he feels for his blunder.

Huisj
04-10-2005, 02:13 PM
Was he also the one who forgot that the Sox got Vizcaino in the Lee trade too?

Whitesox029
04-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Neyer wrote him back mentioning how his "research assistants" forgot to do this.
One can avoid such errors by doing one's research for oneself. Isn't that what a sportswriter is paid to do? You're not supposed to have someone else do the grunt work while all you do is make the sentences look pretty.

ChiSoxRowand
04-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Was he also the one who forgot that the Sox got Vizcaino in the Lee trade too?

Every time somebody mentions the Lee trade they don't mention that we got Vizcaino. Im suprised Jon Miller mentioned him tonight.

Rocklive99
04-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Every time somebody mentions the Lee trade they don't mention that we got Vizcaino. Im suprised Jon Miller mentioned him tonight.

Yeah, I was too, but something that nobody ever mentions is the money we saved in the deal, and made the signings of El Duque, AJ Pierz, and the Guch possible

CubKiller5
04-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I was too, but something that nobody ever mentions is the money we saved in the deal, and made the signings of El Duque, AJ Pierz, and the Guch possible

The money argument is a tough sell because you can configure the team in so many ways. We spent 16 mil on Dye, AJ, Guch, Viz, Pods, & El Duque. Could we have fit Lee in that price tage? Yes. Dump Dye, Viz, & Davis. That's $7.3 mil right there. We can afford the extra.

You can argue we couldn't afford to lose Davis but I disagree. There were other free agent catchers available that could have easily replace him. AJ was one of them.

Of course if we're keeping Lee then what's the lowest price we can pay for Pods? Maybe we could have sold them on Crede's & Harris' potential. I'm not sure. But I do know they had soured on him some after he fell to a 244A with a 313OBP. They were in need of HR's & Crede does have that in his resume.

balke
04-11-2005, 02:32 PM
The money argument is a tough sell because you can configure the team in so many ways. We spent 16 mil on Dye, AJ, Guch, Viz, Pods, & El Duque. Could we have fit Lee in that price tage? Yes. Dump Dye, Viz, & Davis. That's $7.3 mil right there. We can afford the extra.

You can argue we couldn't afford to lose Davis but I disagree. There were other free agent catchers available that could have easily replace him. AJ was one of them.

Of course if we're keeping Lee then what's the lowest price we can pay for Pods? Maybe we could have sold them on Crede's & Harris' potential. I'm not sure. But I do know they had soured on him some after he fell to a 244A with a 313OBP. They were in need of HR's & Crede does have that in his resume.

And back to the discussion of who's going to play 3B for us. There's at least one 3B Crede's got beat in Branyan. I don't think anyone's chomping at the bit for Crede to save the team. The Brewers are low budget, not stupid. They needed a Carlos Lee, and its really helping their team. They wanted exactly that kind of power hitter, and wouldn't settle for a Crede.

CubKiller5
04-11-2005, 02:49 PM
And back to the discussion of who's going to play 3B for us. There's at least one 3B Crede's got beat in Branyan. I don't think anyone's chomping at the bit for Crede to save the team. The Brewers are low budget, not stupid. They needed a Carlos Lee, and its really helping their team. They wanted exactly that kind of power hitter, and wouldn't settle for a Crede.

Their need for Carlos Lee doesn't help them in boosting Pods value. Lee's value was at a career high & Pods a career low.

Is Crede really playing 3B for us? I thought he was just taking up space :D: