PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day - 4/10

Lip Man 1
04-10-2005, 01:23 PM
"Last year, we had a big problem because we had to match up people, and not too many people liked to throw to [Miguel] Olivo,'' --Ozzie Guillen to the Sun-Times Doug Padilla.

Perhaps another factor in the Olivo and Reed for Garcia deal?

Lip

johnny_mostil
04-10-2005, 01:27 PM
"Last year, we had a big problem because we had to match up people, and not too many people liked to throw to [Miguel] Olivo,'' --Ozzie Guillen to the Sun-Times Doug Padilla.

Lip

Maybe Olivo's lifetime .210 or so average against RHP played into it, too?

JRIG
04-10-2005, 02:24 PM
We may not win the World Series this year, but we are World Champions of tearing down players traded away.

JoseCanseco6969
04-10-2005, 02:30 PM
We may not win the World Series this year, but we are World Champions of tearing down players traded away.

I dont think he's really tearing down Olivo as much as speaking the truth.

gobears1987
04-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Every pitcher on the staff except ELo did not like to pitch to him.

Oh, and change the sig JRIG. Reed is sucking and so is Olivo. Freddy is the #2 man on the best rotation in the AL. I'd say it's worth it and far from a dumb move. AJ is much better than Olivo anyways.

JRIG
04-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Every pitcher on the staff except ELo did not like to pitch to him.

Oh, and change the sig JRIG. Reed is sucking and so is Olivo. Freddy is the #2 man on the best rotation in the AL. I'd say it's worth it and far from a dumb move. AJ is much better than Olivo anyways.

Time will tell, though I know it's tempting to make a final conclusion on the trade after 5 games this year.

jabrch
04-10-2005, 02:52 PM
I don't know either way... All I know is how great we were told Olivo was defensively - and then that most of our pitchers didn't like throwing to him. With those two points in mind, trading him was the right move. As far as Reed - we need a bit more time to tell. I just think Garcia at the salary we have him is a heck of a bargain given what Pavano, Wright, Ortiz, Lowe, etc. got this offseason.

I'm not so worried about players who are gone - they are, after all, gone. I like the guys we have here.

jabrch
04-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Time will tell, though I know it's tempting to make a final conclusion on the trade after 5 games this year.

I do think it is fairly safe to say that AJ is much better than Olivo. He was speaking about it in the present - not about their futures. It is possible that down the road Miguel develops a lot. But right now he is a far inferior hitter to AJ (I can't think anyone would disagree with that) and Olivo's defense has become suspect over time.

gobears1987
04-10-2005, 03:00 PM
AJ was hitting .300 when he had been around less than Miguel. I think that's proof enough that AJ Is better. MIguel can't call a game if his life depended on it. Even if Reed develops to be an all-star, I'd say that Freddy is better to have on our team.

shoota
04-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Did Olivo help lead the Barons to a title, or whatever the AA title is?

JRIG
04-10-2005, 03:08 PM
I do think it is fairly safe to say that AJ is much better than Olivo. He was speaking about it in the present - not about their futures. It is possible that down the road Miguel develops a lot. But right now he is a far inferior hitter to AJ (I can't think anyone would disagree with that) and Olivo's defense has become suspect over time.

Yes, just so nobody thinks I'm crazy, there is no doubt right now A.J. is a better player than Olivo.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-10-2005, 03:58 PM

I too am starting to feel uncomfortable with Ozzie's desire to rip every guy no longer on the team. I hate to say something nice about the Cubs, but they don't talk about Sosa anymore. He's gone and forgotten. Let's worry about our guys.

Jerome
04-10-2005, 04:02 PM

Amen brother. How come we never heard any of this "bad teammate" stuff about Lee and Olivo until after they're traded?

fuzzy_patters
04-10-2005, 04:07 PM
Amen brother. How come we never heard any of this "bad teammate" stuff about Lee and Olivo until after they're traded?

Where were you? It was well publicized that every pitcher other than Loaiza considered Alomar to be their preferred catcher. At the time, the Sox spun that into being a complement towards the veteran Alomar, but the obvious implication was that no one other than Loaiza wanted to pitch to Olivo. It isn't like this is new information.

JoseCanseco6969
04-10-2005, 04:24 PM

Regardless, they arent coming back so you need to get over it and cheer on the guys on our team. I hope you quietly arent hoping for Freddy and AJ to fail to prove the trade sucked.

Spicoli
04-10-2005, 04:24 PM
The reason this sounds weird to me was that after the trade Olivio was so upset (he cried?). I would have thought that if the pitchers didn't like him, he would be more than happy for a trade...?

JoseCanseco6969
04-10-2005, 04:27 PM

Why would you want to stir up trouble while the players are on the team?? Dont you think that might get the medias attention and just make life hell for guys in the clubhouse???

fuzzy_patters
04-10-2005, 04:28 PM
The reason this sounds weird to me was that after the trade Olivio was so upset (he cried?). I would have thought that if the pitchers didn't like him, he would be more than happy for a trade...?

There is a difference between not liking the guy personally and preferring not to pitch to him. It was well know that Cooper was calling his games for him because he was not capable of doing it himself, and he was not very good at framing pitches for the pitchers. They may have all got along great off the field. No one has ever said otherwise.

Spicoli
04-10-2005, 04:32 PM
There is a difference between not liking the guy personally and preferring not to pitch to him. It was well know that Cooper was calling his games for him because he was not capable of doing it himself, and he was not very good at framing pitches for the pitchers. They may have all got along great off the field. No one has ever said otherwise.

Sure. But nevertheless, I take it that Olivio cares about being a professional baseball player and would therefore prefer to be on a team that appreciated his skills. That, I think, would come before fraternity, especially since he was a rookie...it is not like he made 5 year long bonds with the players. Not to mention, as a professional ballplayer in the days of free agency and without a no-trade-clause, players should be prepared to leave friendships behind with teams. Whatever, maybe he doesn't care as much about professional respectability than drinking in hotel bars with his teammates on the road?

gosox3072
04-10-2005, 04:38 PM
if all of us knew we were going to sign AJ pierzinski this offseason im sure there would have been a lot less naysayers of that olivo trade.

Brian26
04-10-2005, 06:21 PM

Lip

This isn't really news at all. In fact, this was a known fact even before the Olivo trade last year. Once the trade came about, this tidbit was being thrown around all over the place. Olivo's game calling ability needs some work.

mealfred13
04-10-2005, 06:29 PM
This isn't really news at all. In fact, this was a known fact even before the Olivo trade last year. Once the trade came about, this tidbit was being thrown around all over the place. Olivo's game calling ability needs some work.

As far as I recall, I think Loaiza was working exclusively with Olivo when he had his big season. Maybe pitching to Sandy the following season caused his collapse?

batmanZoSo
04-10-2005, 06:29 PM
if all of us knew we were going to sign AJ pierzinski this offseason im sure there would have been a lot less naysayers of that olivo trade.

Exactly. Who would you rather have, Olivo and no one or Garcia and Pierzynski? It's nice to be able to get quality veterans for "potential" guys like Olivo. Garcia's one of the best number-twos in the league and Pierzynski's better than Olivo.

DrCrawdad
04-10-2005, 07:01 PM
I too am starting to feel uncomfortable with Ozzie's desire to rip every guy no longer on the team. I hate to say something nice about the Cubs, but they don't talk about Sosa anymore. He's gone and forgotten. Let's worry about our guys.

Well, the Cubs don't have to say anything about Sosa since the Cubune does that for them. IIRC the Cubune has run quite a few articles about how great Beernutz is, etc.