PDA

View Full Version : The Reign of the Twins

Chicago83
04-10-2005, 04:58 AM
Is it over?? It seems to me like the Twins just don't have the team this year to do it. After hearing that Carlos Silva was injured and seeing some of their new players play defense I just don't think they have enought to win it this year. Now am I not saying this just because we beat them, obviously last year we played them pretty well early and they still won. It just seems like the team has finally come back down to earth after three years and are headed toward a very bad season.

fquaye149
04-10-2005, 05:27 AM
oh JEEZ. It's the 5th game of the year. They weren't in first this time last year either.

Nate_in_Kansas
04-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Is it over?? It seems to me like the Twins just don't have the team this year to do it. After hearing that Carlos Silva was injured and seeing some of their new players play defense I just don't think they have enought to win it this year. Now am I not saying this just because we beat them, obviously last year we played them pretty well early and they still won. It just seems like the team has finally come back down to earth after three years and are headed toward a very bad season.

That's crazy. You can NOT judge either of these teams after 5 games. My guess: The Sox are hot right now, the Twins are not. I will agree that the Twins defense will probably be worse this year, but there offense will probably be better over the long haul. And the Sox haven't even had to deal with the twins top power threat, morneau, the last two night since he got beaned in seattle. None of this is to say that the Sox won't come out on top in the end...But let's not make such judgements QUITE yet. it's the record after 162 that matters, not 5!

I can just see it: The Bears win game 1 next season and all of a sudden THEY'VE CLINCHED the PLAYOFFS!!!!

Fredsox
04-10-2005, 06:41 AM
This is a contest of endurance as well as skill. With 157 games left to go, 17 of which are against the Twins, it might be a bit premature to declare that the king is dead. They have an excellent minor league system, a heck of a coaching staff, and a smart GM. I would not think for a second that they will sit on their hands and let the Sox or anyone else just walk all over them.

We can see how this plays out, but in the mean time we need to focus on today's game against Santana and then the Indians for 3.

Dan H
04-10-2005, 07:54 AM
The reign of the Twins will be over when someone else(hopefully the Sox) will clicnch the division. This start is great and I've enjoyed it, but it is way too early to say one team has the advantage over the other. Let's see where these teams are in September.

SOXSINCE'70
04-10-2005, 10:53 AM
The reign of the Twins will be over when someone else(hopefully the Sox) will clicnch the division. This start is great and I've enjoyed it, but it is way too early to say one team has the advantage over the other. Let's see where these teams are in September.

I'll agree.

johnny_mostil
04-10-2005, 11:06 AM
My guess: The Sox are hot right now, the Twins are not. I will agree that the Twins defense will probably be worse this year, but there offense will probably be better over the long haul. And the Sox haven't even had to deal with the twins top power threat, morneau, the last two night since he got beaned in seattle. None of this is to say that the Sox won't come out on top in the end...But let's not make such judgements QUITE yet. it's the record after 162 that matters, not 5!

Nonetheless, there are some trends here worth noting. First, the Twins' Karmic Miracle Train seems to be stalled on a passing track with Silva's knee exploding. Second, El Duque is halfway to BP's projection for IP this year. Third, Morneau may be a great prospect, but he's got less than half a season in the majors and could still flame out. Fourth, the division's better competitive balance will hurt the Twins a little, since they made hay mercilessly pounding the division over the last three years. Fifth, they are the favorites, and arrogant favorites they are (see their web site logo), and the baseball gods seem to always b****-slap hubris.

kevingrt
04-10-2005, 11:09 AM

It has to be more then clinching the divison just one year too.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-10-2005, 12:07 PM
No, not yet. If we happen to lose the next five games this clip will be getting a workout on this site:

:chickenlittle

chisoxmike
04-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa, this is the 3-TIME AL CENTRAL DIVISON CHAMPS. Their wheels are not falling off. 5 games have been played... 5! Yeah, its nice to be winning right away, but the Twins are going to be there this season. We always manage to beat them early in the season anyway, but when it comes down to it, we can't do it. (2003, 2004) Lets hold off to see where the Sox are in June and the All-Star Break before we start making judgements.

FarWestChicago
04-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Is it over??No.

CHISOXFAN13
04-10-2005, 12:36 PM
It's by no means over, but I'll say this, I feel a hell of a lot better knowing Cuddyer is playing third base every day rather than Koskie.

delben91
04-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Until someone else wins the Central, the Twins remain the team to beat. In no way should they be panicking.

Rocklive99
04-10-2005, 12:49 PM
No, you know that they're going to be there at the end. A lot can happen in 19 games playing each other, and in that stretch I'm sure many will proclaim that both the sky is falling and declared us division winners

TheBull19
04-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Nonetheless, there are some trends here worth noting. First, the Twins' Karmic Miracle Train seems to be stalled on a passing track with Silva's knee exploding. Second, El Duque is halfway to BP's projection for IP this year. Third, Morneau may be a great prospect, but he's got less than half a season in the majors and could still flame out. Fourth, the division's better competitive balance will hurt the Twins a little, since they made hay mercilessly pounding the division over the last three years. Fifth, they are the favorites, and arrogant favorites they are (see their web site logo), and the baseball gods seem to always b****-slap hubris.

While I agree its way too early to write them off, they are counting on 2 guys with less than a combined 400 ML ABs to bat 3 & 4, a rookie shortstop, Cuddyer replacing Koskie at 3rd and now their #3 pitcher is down. I like what I see so far from the Twins

Lip Man 1
04-10-2005, 01:41 PM
When a 'small market' team can win three consecutive divisional titles, that's not luck....they are doing something right in scouting, in developing and then on-field play at the highest level.

You never count out the champion until the champion is beaten.

It's a long season with many twists and turns, they've lost Silva for a period of time, who's to say his replacement won't be better? That seems to be the way it has gone for Minnesota.

Just worry about one game at a time. If you win enough of them you won't need to worry about what the Twins are doing or not doing.

Lip

PAPChiSox729
04-10-2005, 06:40 PM
We are 5 games into the season. I am not going to say the Twins are done just yet. They are a good team and unfortunately will start to play better. Take it one game at a time. It's a long season. I'll speculate about the Twin's streak once the Sox's Magic Number to win the Central is under 5.

MRKARNO
04-10-2005, 07:00 PM
It certainly ain't over till it's over, but the Twins are going to need to pull some excellent minor league performances out of their hat again if they're going to be the four time defending champs in my opinion because I dont see them getting it done with their current roster. If Crain and Durbin cant make major contributions in the starting rotation in 2005, I think the Twins are in major trouble. If they can, then they probably have the edge, but their rotation now looks pretty weak after Santana and Bradke without Silva.