PDA

View Full Version : just suppose

soxwon
04-09-2005, 11:52 PM
suppose we win tommorow and are 5-1
when was the last time we were 5-1 or 6-0 to start a season?
where did we finnish that year?

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 11:54 PM
nevermind the fact we are doing it against our 2 biggest division rivals.

Rocklive99
04-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Of course it would be awesome, especially since these early division games make April a lot more important, but I always think of about 3 or 4 years ago when Cleveland started like 10-0 or 10-1, and either us or the Twins ended up winning the division, I'll have to go back and look it up.

EDIT: Baseballref...com: In 2002, they started 11-1 and finished 3rd. In 2001, they also were swept by us in the 2nd series, and went on to win the division. Point is, the wins are always nice (and don't get me wrong, I love this team and how it's playing), but don't go declaring division titles yet. A 162 game season takes a LONG time (Don't we wish baseball was all year round?), and a lot of things can happen in that time.

OEO Magglio
04-09-2005, 11:59 PM
Of course it would be awesome, especially since these early division games make April a lot more important, but I always think of about 3 or 4 years ago when Cleveland started like 10-0 or 10-1, and either us or the Twins ended up winning the division, I'll have to go back and look it up.
It was 11 and 0 and Minny won the division.

samram
04-10-2005, 12:02 AM

The Sox were 6-0 in 1991 and finished second behind Minnesota.

SoxWillWin
04-10-2005, 12:32 AM
The Sox were 6-0 in 1991 and finished second behind Minnesota.

probably not the answer this thread was looking for huh? :D:

pudge
04-10-2005, 12:40 AM
the point is, 5-1 means nothing, and 6-0 means nothing. consistency for the whole season is what counts. wait and see....

Lip Man 1
04-10-2005, 01:04 PM
The best record to start the season for the White Sox was 8-0 in 1982. That season they wound up finishing in 3rd place in the Western Division behind California and Kansas City with 87 wins.

Lip

johnny_mostil
04-10-2005, 01:33 PM
the point is, 5-1 means nothing, and 6-0 means nothing. consistency for the whole season is what counts. wait and see....

No, not true. 5-1 means you can't lose more than 157 games, whereas the Twins now can't win more than 159. That makes our magic number...

FightingBillini
04-10-2005, 01:39 PM

EDIT: Baseballref...com: In 2002, they started 11-1 and finished 3rd. In 2001, they also were swept by us in the 2nd series, and went on to win the division. Point is, the wins are always nice (and don't get me wrong, I love this team and how it's playing), but don't go declaring division titles yet. A 162 game season takes a LONG time (Don't we wish baseball was all year round?), and a lot of things can happen in that time.

Yep. I remember in 2002 when Lofton and Durham were on fire, the Sox were killing everyone in the beginning of April. By the end of the month, they had cooled off. By the end of May, it was almost unbearable. Wins are wins, and they are great. Beating the Twins twice in April counts for just as much as beating them twice in September. However, we could still finish 4-158. Lets not get ahead of ourselfs. This is gonna be a fun year, but we arent gonna walk away with this division.

Here's to the rollercoaster ride ahead of us.:gulp:

skobabe8
04-10-2005, 03:08 PM
"You can't win the division in April, but you can lose it."

gosox3072
04-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Its just a good start. Doesnt mean were running away with anything, but its still better than a bad start!

RKMeibalane
04-10-2005, 04:33 PM
Yep. I remember in 2002 when Lofton and Durham were on fire, the Sox were killing everyone in the beginning of April. By the end of the month, they had cooled off. By the end of May, it was almost unbearable. Wins are wins, and they are great. Beating the Twins twice in April counts for just as much as beating them twice in September. However, we could still finish 4-158. Lets not get ahead of ourselfs. This is gonna be a fun year, but we arent gonna walk away with this division.

Here's to the rollercoaster ride ahead of us.:gulp:

There are several reasons why the Sox didn't win the division in 2002, but perhaps the biggest problems that season can be traced by to a familiar source. You are correct that the Sox were on fire in April. Lofton and Durham were tearing up the league. Another important aspect of the Sox success that month was that they used basically the same lineup every game:

CF- Lofton
2B- Durham
DH- Thomas
RF- Ordonez
1B- Konerko
SS- Valentin
LF- Lee
C- Alomar/Johnson
SS- Clayton

So how did Jerry Manuel respond to this situation?

:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

The Sox had the best offense in the American League, and of course "The Tinkerer" had to **** with it. In all fairness, this wasn't the only reason for the disaster that was 2002, but it was a reason. Only an idiot would try to improve an offense that was already head and shoulders above everyone else. What exactly was Manuel trying to do? Reach number zero?

Whitesox029
04-10-2005, 11:25 PM
I think soxwon singlehandedly jinxed us tonight...
lynch him!!!!