PDA

View Full Version : Everett Emerges As Team's Leader

DickAllen72
04-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Everett emphasizes team unity

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050409&content_id=1010130&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

His offensive production has been crucial to the team's early success, as evidenced by Everett's two-run home run in the first inning Saturday against Minnesota's Brad Radke and his sacrifice fly in the third. Everett's presence in the clubhouse, though, has been just as important.

Even as a mid-season acquisition in 2004, players pointed to Everett as a galvanizing force among a group that went in different directions at times. Everett is very eloquent about his theories for success, but they all come down to a basic driving force -- all for one and one for all.

"Basically, the only thing I want to bring here is that we respect each other in every aspect of the game," Everett said prior to Saturday's game. "We all share a responsibility. We can't just look for one guy to press the issue. But sometimes a lot of guys want to be quiet, and then if one guy speaks up, a lot of people might be able to voice what they have to say.

"We want to put the emphasis out there that if you have something to say, nobody is going to stop you from saying it. We are a family and we can only win this game as a family. We all have to stick together. If we do that, good things can happen."

Interesting article. It appears that Carl has become the clubhouse leader of the White Sox. Way to go, Carl!

oeo
04-10-2005, 12:26 AM
It's about time someone became a leader on this club.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-10-2005, 12:42 AM
Could Thomas disrupt the chemistry when he returns, when he sends a current starter (very possibly Everett) to grab some bench? Regardless I want Frank back in there though.

oeo
04-10-2005, 12:44 AM
I hope not, but it's nice being worried about what to do with a guy when another comes back from injury. I love this team's depth.

DickAllen72
04-10-2005, 12:47 AM
Could Thomas disrupt the chemistry when he returns, when he sends a current starter (very possibly Everett) to grab some bench? Regardless I want Frank back in there though.

I don't think he will. Check this out: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47908

Gosox1917
04-10-2005, 12:50 AM
I think when we see Frank come back, we'll see Frank and Everett share the leadership role. Everett knows this is Frank's team and has been since the early 90's, but Frank is a big enough of a man to allow Everett to share the responsibility. We'll see Frank and Carl really connect and have some great times together one the Big Hurt comes back. I'm really looking forward to it.

ode to veeck
04-10-2005, 01:33 AM
Crazy Carl's always had a very healthy attitude with the Sox.

Need more like him above the neck

Chicago83
04-10-2005, 04:59 AM
Preach on Carl.

harwar
04-10-2005, 09:41 AM
"We want to put the emphasis out there that if you have something to say,nobody is going to stop you from saying it.We are a family..."

He obviously never met my ex-wife.:wink:
I like this guy more and more.It looks like Kennys' almost laughable pickup of Carl last year is going to cause some red faces.
Also,lets not forget about Konerko & Buehrle,who are the kind of quiet leaders every successful organization needs.

jabrch
04-10-2005, 10:08 AM

Yeah, a .400 OBP and a .500 SLG would really disrupt this team...

Come on...*****. It will make the team better. We will have more depth and more flexibility. I am assuming that these guys are unselfish enough to not bitch about playing time. I also believe that if KW finds an opportunity to move Everett (if he hits like he has so far, that will be easy) and get value in return that he would consider it. Everett would be a great fit for an NL club that has a catastrophi OF injury as he can play either corner and he can switch hit. (I still don't think he has any business in CF, but I guess in an emergency....)

JoseCanseco6969
04-10-2005, 01:17 PM
Yeah, a .400 OBP and a .500 SLG would really disrupt this team...

Come on...*****. It will make the team better. We will have more depth and more flexibility. I am assuming that these guys are unselfish enough to not bitch about playing time. I also believe that if KW finds an opportunity to move Everett (if he hits like he has so far, that will be easy) and get value in return that he would consider it. Everett would be a great fit for an NL club that has a catastrophi OF injury as he can play either corner and he can switch hit. (I still don't think he has any business in CF, but I guess in an emergency....)

I agree. If Carl is having an allstar year, why let him rot on the bench. I'd love to keep him around after frank is back, but we'd be crazy to not trade him if Frank is back full force. That being said, keep up the good work Crazy Carl!

Lip Man 1
04-10-2005, 01:47 PM
I believe it was Carl who broke the story from two years (?) ago about the Sox player standing on first base in a game at Minnesota and telling the Twins first basemen, 'congrats on winning the division...' This was when the Sox were only a few games back with two weeks to play.

I got the strong sense that Everett thought that was unbelieveable and totally unprofessional. This guy isn't as bad as his 'reputation' makes him out to be.

Lip

Nard
04-10-2005, 02:03 PM
It's a very strange feeling, but after reading that article I almost don't want Frank to come back if it means putting Carl on the bench. At the very least I hope we find a way to keep Crazy Carl in the everyday lineup when Big Frank returns.

FightingBillini
04-10-2005, 02:33 PM
I agree. If Carl is having an allstar year, why let him rot on the bench. I'd love to keep him around after frank is back, but we'd be crazy to not trade him if Frank is back full force. That being said, keep up the good work Crazy Carl!

We let him rot on the bench because we need him.
Everett will be extremely valuable as a clutch switch hitting power hitter coming off the bench in the playoffs. If the Sox do make noise in the playoffs, Everett will be a big part of it. I can't think of a single team that wouldn't want to have Everett coming off the bench for them late in a game.

Besides that, if we get a lot of inquiries from other teams for Carl, they would all be playoff teams. I dont know what positions KW will need to address in July, but I dont imagine any playoff caliber teams being able to just throw us a lights out reliever or another top of the rotation star, and there is no reason to trade Carl for prospects. There will be absolutely no reason to trade Carl.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Trade Carl, no way! Dye hasn't exactly been an iron man, and with the way Rowand plays the game with no regard for his body UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES do we trade Carl. Carl's the kind of guy who will get that spot start in the playoffs and hit two dingers as well, we'll need those heros if we make the postseason.

RKMeibalane
04-10-2005, 05:36 PM

I don't think so. Everyone knows that Frank is the starter at DH. Besides, Thomas was with the club in ST, and there were no problems. I think most of the drama that ocurred in the Sox clubhouse can be blamed on individuals who are no longer with the club. As Aaron Rowand and Paul Konerko implied last week, there are specific reasons why this team seems to have better chemistry than any of the teams from the past four seasons.

Flight #24
04-10-2005, 07:32 PM
I believe it was Carl who broke the story from two years (?) ago about the Sox player standing on first base in a game at Minnesota and telling the Twins first basemen, 'congrats on winning the division...' This was when the Sox were only a few games back with two weeks to play.

I got the strong sense that Everett thought that was unbelieveable and totally unprofessional. This guy isn't as bad as his 'reputation' makes him out to be.

Lip

Carl's been considred a pretty good to great teammate everywhere he's been, but a "cancer" in Boston. IMO that says more about Boston than Carl.

:everett:
"I just don't believe in Boston"

DaveIsHere
04-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Not true baseball tonight said we do not have a leader.:redface:

Infallible
04-10-2005, 07:41 PM
This guy's a manic, a complete loose cannon. He's no leader he's a psychopath......

batmanZoSo
04-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Carl's been considred a pretty good to great teammate everywhere he's been, but a "cancer" in Boston. IMO that says more about Boston than Carl.

:everett:
"I just don't believe in Boston"

The 2000-2003 Red Sox were kind of a mess.

HawkISox
04-11-2005, 03:57 PM
Dye has had injury issues, and the depth will be needed at some point.

swanson24
04-11-2005, 06:19 PM
I like Carl and I think he is a greataddition to the ballclub, especially now with Frank Thomas on the DL. But isn't it ironic that a player who has such a strong badboy reputation in baseball is now the leader of our 2005 White Sox. By the way I only speculate he has a leadership role in the clubhouse by the comments he made to mlb.com soxbeat writer Scott Merkin. Let me know what you think of this quote.

"We want to put the emphasis out there that if you have something to say, nobody is going to stop you from saying it. We are a family and we can only win this game as a family. We all have to stick together. If we do that, good things can happen."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2005/04/09/thTXBd5G.jpg

I personally am glad to see a strong leader in our clubhouse besides Ozzie.

TaylorStSox
04-11-2005, 06:24 PM
I like Carl and I think he is a greataddition to the ballclub, especially now with Frank Thomas on the DL. But isn't it ironic that a player who has such a strong badboy reputation in baseball is now the leader of our 2005 White Sox. By the way I only speculate he has a leadership role in the clubhouse by the comments he made to mlb.com soxbeat writer Scott Merkin. Let me know what you think of this quote.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2005/04/09/thTXBd5G.jpg

I personally am glad to see a strong leader in our clubhouse besides Ozzie.

He's got a bad reputation because he's not scared to tell people the truth. I view Carl as a proffesional.

swanson24
04-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Sorry I posted a thread about Carl as a leader after this was already up. Carl has taken charge of the team and is Ozzie's go to guy clubhouse leader!

petekat
04-11-2005, 06:31 PM
he's crazy carl in large part because he questions the existence of dinosaurs, but Carl was well liked in his previous stop through Chicago, and with the noted exception of Boston, has received kudos for being a good teammate. So no surprise that he would embrace the leadership role here.

He's got a bad reputation because he's not scared to tell people the truth. I view Carl as a proffesional.

petekat
04-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Carl not so bad. He's crazy Carl because he questions the existence of dinosaurs. But he was a good egg during his previous stop in Chicago. He's always been voca, with the notable exception of his time in Boston, he has been held up as a solid clubhouse guy. No surprise to see him embrace a leadership role in the clubhouse.

SouthSideSid
04-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Carl can say whatever he wants to reporters. I just want him to keep on showing the leadershop on the field. If he keeps getting the big hits he will be leading by example.

HITMEN OF 77
04-11-2005, 07:25 PM
And he does love Sox fans, as evident at this years Soxfest.

swanson24
04-11-2005, 08:45 PM
Great we finally have established that we have a leader on the White Sox whose name is Everett and some Sox fans are talking about trading him!
What the #$^#?

Deadguy
04-13-2005, 01:12 PM

Carl was that player. It was Doug M. who stated to the media that a certain Sox player told him, "We just don't have it this year. The division is all yours", late in the last game before the Sox were swept in Minnesota. Doug also mentioned that this player was one of the few that did show up for the series and played well. When analyzing the game in question, and who it could have been, Everett was one of the only players who reached 1st base on a single or a walk that game, and you could see Doug and Carl talking to each other when he reached base in the 7th inning of that game.