PDA

View Full Version : Official Rules for a Save

BRDSR
04-09-2005, 11:55 PM
I'm embarrassed to ask this, but I must. What are the official rules for getting a save. I thought you had to get as many outs as the team was winning by. For instance if the team was up by six and you pitched the 8th and 9th, you got the save. If the team was up by 1 and you got the last out, you got the save. However, Shingo came in with one on in the 9th, go the last out with a 3 run lead, and still got the save. Do you just have to finish the game with the team up by three runs or less? What are the official rules?

Rocklive99
04-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Don't quote me, but off the top of my head, it's when the lead is 3 runs or less, and the tieing run is either on base or at the plate. If you are pitching in the 8th with a 3 run lead, and then the offense explodes in the bottom of the inning and you have a 10 run lead in the 9th, you still get the save if you close out the game. If also can't pitch yourself into a save, like if a reliever comes into the 9th with a 4 run lead, gives up a run, and then closes out the game, he won't get a save

Whitesox029
04-09-2005, 11:58 PM
there are 3 ways:
1 pitch 3 innings or more including the 9th, all the while preserving your team's lead of no matter how many runs
2 (most common) pitch the 9th successfully with a 3 run lead or less
3 I don't remember
I asked Dave Wills about this the one and only time I called his postgame show and he came up with it. Help on the third way anyone?

voodoochile
04-09-2005, 11:59 PM
there are 3 ways:
1 pitch 3 innings or more including the 9th, all the while preserving your team's lead of no matter how many runs
2 (most common) pitch the 9th successfully with a 3 run lead or less
3 I don't remember
I asked Dave Wills about this the one and only time I called his postgame show and he came up with it. Help on the third way anyone?

1 and 2 are correct.

3) Enter the game with the tying run in the on-deck circle (leading by 5 with the bases loaded qualifies)

Edit: In all cases, you must finish the game without surrendering the lead.

Rocklive99
04-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Ah, I knew I was forgetting the one about 3 innings or more (including the 9th), but wasn't sure about it. I learned that one through video games :smile:

AJPosguchi
04-10-2005, 12:01 AM
Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
- (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
- (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces; or
- (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

Shingo met (1), (2), and (3)b today.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-10-2005, 12:20 AM
I'm embarrassed to ask this...
It's actually a good question, since the answer turned out to be far more complicated than I thought! :redface:

pudge
04-10-2005, 01:47 AM
Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
- (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
- (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces; or
- (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

Shingo met (1), (2), and (3)b today.

3b always is confusing... technically, Shingo never even faced the man on deck, I sometimes think you actually have to get that man to get credit for the save, but apparently not. Basically, tonight Shingo got about the cheapest save you could possibly get. :gulp:

Mathew
04-10-2005, 03:57 AM
3b always is confusing... technically, Shingo never even faced the man on deck, I sometimes think you actually have to get that man to get credit for the save, but apparently not. Basically, tonight Shingo got about the cheapest save you could possibly get. :gulp:

Throwing the last 3 in a 14-2 game is I think cheaper, just cause, but yeah both pretty cheezy.