PDA

View Full Version : DJ alone in the booth

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Did anyone catch that while Hawk was probably on the john? Let's just say it makes me appreciate Hawk more now that I know DJ alone stinks.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-09-2005, 10:07 PM
Brutal...just brutal.

A.T. Money
04-09-2005, 10:08 PM
DJ is getting a chance to do PBP. Wimpy used to get an inning or two to call the game too.

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 10:09 PM
DJ sucked though.

"UH OH! UH OH!"

dickallen15
04-09-2005, 10:09 PM
It was as ametuerish of a production as I have ever heard. Forget Hawk, he made me appreciate Chip Caray.

DickAllen72
04-09-2005, 10:11 PM
He did fine. It's TV not radio you know, so no need for intense play by play.

Rocklive99
04-09-2005, 10:13 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=2629

I agree that DJ is bad, but it's been pointed out sooo many times and a lot of threads have been started on it. I kind of feel bad for him at this point and hope he doesn't lurk around here...

Church Turtle
04-09-2005, 10:13 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread, I was in the kitchen and came in off and on. My first thought was "What's going on in there? Who is that?" Then I realized it was DJ. I went back to the kitchen with no hesitation. Stick to the color, man.:?:

CleeFan101
04-09-2005, 10:16 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread, I was in the kitchen and came in off and on. My first thought was "What's going on in there? Who is that?" Then I realized it was DJ. I went back to the kitchen with no hesitation. Stick to the color, man.:?:

theres a reason why teams have 2 announcers.... Because its hard to just be up there by yourself... so stop bitzing :dtroll: :dtroll:

DSpivack
04-09-2005, 10:17 PM
I agree that DJ is bad, but it's been pointed out sooo many times and a lot of threads have been started on it. I kind of feel bad for him at this point and hope he doesn't lurk around here...

I feel the same way about DJ as I do about Billy Koch. Seems like a nice enough human being, no reason to think he isn't a good person, but I just don't think he's good at what he does, and want someone better to replace him. The color man, thankfully, is obviously much less important than the closer.

PAPChiSox729
04-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Sure DJ isn't that good, but doing a PBP by yourself can be pretty rough. That is a lot of air to fill by just talking by yourself.

Jerome
04-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Next year our number one priority is to sign Steve Stone as a FA :D:

Seriously though, could you imagine him and Hawk in the both? I don't really like Hawk but I know that that both would be the perfect mix of basball knowledge and Hawk's great catchphrases.

Too bad it would never work because Hawk's company man, brown-noser mentality would clash with Stone's criticisms.

At least we wouldn't have to worry about Ozzie criticizing the announcers. Not to mention how jealous the Flub fans would be.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2005, 10:29 PM
Vin Scully does PBP by himself during Dodger games all the time, just heard him again last night from Arizona on TV.

Lip

SoxWillWin
04-09-2005, 10:32 PM
I've brought this up before, but I think DJ really needs to :gulp:a few before each game, and :gulp:once every 2 innings. It may loosen him up. Besides it worked for Harry Caray.

ilsox7
04-09-2005, 10:35 PM
DJ's PBP is the total opposite of smooth.

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 10:35 PM
Cosell was always good, but he was better when drunk.

delben91
04-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Vin Scully does PBP by himself during Dodger games all the time, just heard him again last night from Arizona on TV.

Lip

I think we can all agree that it's not even worth comparing DJ to Vin Scully.

Nard
04-09-2005, 10:50 PM
They just played it on ESPN News. ****ing hilarious.

UH OH, UH OH

Rocklive99
04-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Are you serious, they pointed that out? Poor DJ

If you ever feel bad about having DJ though, listen to Bob Brenly. One of the funniest things I read in one of the famous chats during a ST Flubs/Sox game was when someone said "He sounds as bad as he did in High Heat!"

Seriously though, the Extra Innings package free preview makes me realize there's worse out there, but it's hard after having Wimpy or hearing a guy like DeFalco fill in so well

illinibk
04-09-2005, 11:13 PM
It reminded me of Major League 2 when Uecker passed out and the color guy had to take over, and had very little to say. Good stuff.

Rocklive99
04-09-2005, 11:24 PM
It reminded me of Major League 2 when Uecker passed out and the color guy had to take over, and had very little to say. Good stuff.

:roflmao:

ChiSox14305635
04-10-2005, 01:18 AM
:threadsucks

Geez, how many more "DJ sucks" threads do some of you need? Yes, he's not Steve Stone, but goodness; he's not Ron Santo either. Cut the guy some slack.

CHI_SOX_4_LIFE
04-10-2005, 02:36 AM
It was as ametuerish of a production as I have ever heard. Forget Hawk, he made me appreciate Chip Caray.

you have got to be kidding right? im not against chip caray just cuz he broadcast for the cubs. the guy was horrible, he knows nothing about baseball. the only reason he ever got that job was because of his dad.

mike squires
04-10-2005, 06:32 AM

Lip

I've enjoyed listening to Vin on the free preview. Why he does not continue to do the world series I will never know. He and Joe were the best. Takes me back to the game of the week on Saturday afternoons...

harwar
04-10-2005, 07:49 AM

Lip
Yea, i was watching that game also and i am still amazed that he is so sharp and does such a great job.
Vin is the last of his breed and it will be the end of an era when he goes.

Baby Fisk
04-10-2005, 11:35 AM

UH OH, UH OH

In DJ's defense, I kinda liked that HR call. You could hear the teal!

:DJ
"Uh-oh! UH-OHHHHH!!! TIMO PEREZ PUTS THE SOX AHEAD!"

JoseCanseco6969
04-10-2005, 12:23 PM

UH OH, UH OH

did the ESPN guys laugh at it?
I cant even laugh at that horrible home run call, absolutely horrible. Very embarrassing indeed. Like someone else said, I also feel about him as I do about Billy Koch and Manos. Love the guys as a person, but cant wait till they are off my team.

Lip Man 1
04-10-2005, 12:44 PM
I wasn't even trying to compare DJ to Scully. Even if I was drunk, I wouldn't do that. Mearly pointing out that other teams have their people go solo every so often although with Vin it's a regular part of the position.

I don't think the Dodgers had multiple people in the booth since Vin, Ross Porter and the late Don Drysdale and that was over a decade ago.

Lip

Soxfest
04-10-2005, 12:52 PM
DJ he sucks.

SouthBendSox
04-10-2005, 05:28 PM
fire DJ

mike squires
04-10-2005, 05:40 PM
I don't think the ESPN guys were calling out DJ or making fun of him in any way unless there was a segment that I did not see. You could just hear him in the background. I didn't think it was a bad call at all, imo...

TaylorStSox
04-10-2005, 06:06 PM
I wasn't even trying to compare DJ to Scully. Even if I was drunk, I wouldn't do that. Mearly pointing out that other teams have their people go solo every so often although with Vin it's a regular part of the position.

I don't think the Dodgers had multiple people in the booth since Vin, Ross Porter and the late Don Drysdale and that was over a decade ago.

Lip

If we had 1 guy doing the whole broadcast, you'd say that Jerry's too cheap to hire a second. :cool:

Lip Man 1
04-10-2005, 10:35 PM
If he was as good as Scully there'd be no need for a second!

:rolleyes:

Lip