PDA

View Full Version : Timo's catches

ChiSoxRowand
04-09-2005, 10:50 PM
I like Timo and I am glad he is with the Sox, but the only thing I don't like about him are his lazy catches. I hope he doesn't screw us over one day.

nordhagen
04-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Timo's definitely got a lot of hot dog in him. I also hope the ball doesn't land behind him at a crucial time.

Come on Timo, come on Timo, come on Timo....

PAPChiSox729
04-09-2005, 10:57 PM
It does look weird to see all of those one handed catches. But whenever I played outfield, I could never do 2 handed catches. Granted I'm not that good, but the other hand just always got in the way. Maybe Timo is the same way...

JB98
04-09-2005, 10:58 PM
It does look weird to see all of those one handed catches. But whenever I played outfield, I could never do 2 handed catches. Granted I'm not that good, but the other hand just always got in the way. Maybe Timo is the same way...

I always caught with one hand too, and I only dropped one my whole life. That "two hands" thing is highly overrated.

SOXPHILE
04-09-2005, 11:01 PM
I've been thinking the same thing. Some guys do that in a nonchalant way to show up the batter, as if to say "No big deal, your an easy out". I don't know, if that's what he's doing (I hope not), but if he ever drops a fly ball trying to catch it that way, I wouldn't put it past Ozzie to yank him right in the middle of the inning, just like Bobby Cox did a few years ago to Andruw Jones when he ran in to get a fly ball in a really lazy fashion, and the ball dropped in front of him.

Rocklive99
04-09-2005, 11:08 PM
I always get a little scared/cringe a little, it's kind of cool tho (as long as he doesn't drop one), he's just so nonchalant and passive when he does it. Santo was all pissed about Timo catching the fly balls like that, had to pour his anger of getting beatdown by the team from the South Side somewhere

SomebodyToldMe
04-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Wow. I thought I was the only one who thought like this. All throughout the game, I kept yelling at my tv for him to make a two-handed catch. That's always bothered me. I don't like that quick wrist snap thing he does right when he catches it. It makes me nervous.

But hey, he's been doing it for awhile, so whatever. It works I guess.

PAPChiSox729
04-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Wow. I thought I was the only one who thought like this. All throughout the game, I kept yelling at my tv for him to make a two-handed catch. That's always bothered me. I don't like that quick wrist snap thing he does right when he catches it. It makes me nervous.

But hey, he's been doing it for awhile, so whatever. It works I guess.

I never did the snap wrist thing, so that makes me nervus too. But I won't start to worry about Timo until his style of catching actually costs him a flyball.

CleeFan101
04-09-2005, 11:18 PM
he is a veteran in the league and has never had a problem with the way he catches so why worry about it now.... jesus first 2 threads i read all i hear is a bunch of :whiner:

Brian26
04-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Wow. I thought I was the only one who thought like this.

It's been bugging the hell out of me ever since last year. I really wish he'd use two hands.

batmanZoSo
04-09-2005, 11:23 PM
I guess we need something to complain about..:cool:

BRDSR
04-09-2005, 11:39 PM
I always caught with one hand too, and I only dropped one my whole life. That "two hands" thing is highly overrated.

Two hands might be overrated, but catching the ball above your eyes is not overrated. There is no reason ever to let a fly ball out of your sight, and the way Timo catches a fly ball it is out of his sight between the top of his head and his mitt, which is often somewhere near the letters. I agree with the original poster, there is really no reason to catch fly balls like that, even if he never misses a ball. At the very least, he's teaching the youngsters poor technique.

oeo
04-10-2005, 12:39 AM
As long as he catches the balls, I don't care and I haven't seen a problem yet.

Anyway, does anyone else find Timo hilarious? He just seems like a very funny guy. I also like how clutch he is, it's nice having him off the bench.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-10-2005, 12:47 AM
I agree, use two hands. But why when you mention a possible improvement, do so many on this site interpret that as complaining and crying? I didn't take it as ripping Timo, epecially after a good game tonight.

Gosox1917
04-10-2005, 12:53 AM
I have to agree with most people here, it bothers me but it's worked for him so far. He's probably done this style of catching his whole career, since high school and college (did he go?) and the minor leagues. Makes it fun to watch thought, as long as he doesn't drop one.

OEO Magglio
04-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Juan Uribe is about the only major leaguer to use two hands to catch the ball now a days. Timo's way is obviously non chalent but he hasn't dropped one since he's been here, so until he does he can do it his way.

ChiSoxRowand
04-10-2005, 01:24 AM
It doesn't bother me that he doesn't use 2 hands, He just hot dogs it a little bit.

mealfred13
04-10-2005, 01:48 AM
The fact that he doesn't use 2 hands does not bother me in the least, as I have yet to see him make an error. In fact he makes an occasional great play out there as well.

I HAVE noticed his non-chalant way of catching balls, and even though it doesn't bother me, it scares the crap out of me sometimes. :o:

I can't count how many times Timo has waited until the last second to catch a ball, or confused the cameramen into thinking the ball is out of the park by casually jogging under it. I always freak out when he does that until the ball is in his glove. Seems to me like he's extremely good at running good routes to the ball, because he never seems to need much effort to catch them.

SomebodyToldMe
04-10-2005, 01:52 AM
I HAVE noticed his non-chalant way of catching balls, and even though it doesn't bother me, it scares the crap out of me sometimes. :o:

That's the main thing with me. It just scares me and everytime he snaps that wrist, I jump and yell a little bit.