PDA

View Full Version : Twins rotation takes a hit

Jjav829
04-09-2005, 06:35 PM
Twins placed RHP Carlos Silva on the 15-day disabled list with a torn meniscus in his right knee.
Though it wasn't been reported, Silva's sore knee obviously kept getting worse and worse. If he needs surgery, it's likely he'll miss six weeks. The Twins could always turn back to Terry Mulholland, but they should choose Scott Baker as Silva's replacement in the rotation. If it happens, Baker would be worth picking up in AL-only leagues.

I wonder if he's going to see Maggs doctor. :tongue:

SABRSox
04-09-2005, 06:40 PM
Good for us, bad for him. I saw his first outing against Seattle this season. He had nothing, but Mariners hitters were just pounding his pitches into the ground. Surprising, to say the least.

balke
04-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Great another Ace from the Twins minors called up. - I don't even know what to color that, cause it could end up being true.

santo=dorf
04-09-2005, 07:51 PM
He's out until the All-Star break.

Carlos Silva will undergo surgery to repair a torn meniscus and isn't expected back until after the All-Star break.
Eight weeks of recovery time and then four weeks to build back up his arm strength. Surprisingly, the Twins will turn to lefty David Gassner to be their fifth starter with Silva out. Scott Baker or Matt Guerrier would have been better choices in our opinion. It wouldn't be a surprise if they run through a few fifth starters while Silva heals.

:bandance:

dcb33
04-09-2005, 09:02 PM
He's out until the All-Star break.

:bandance:

Farmio just said on the radio the Twins will announce tomorrow that he's done for the year.

Cowch44
04-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Farmio just said on the radio the Twins will announce tomorrow that he's done for the year.

Let's not get too happy, karma can really suck.

FoulTerritory
04-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Carlos Silva out till at least the all-star break (i apologize if I missed a previous thread on this)

How much does this injury affect the Twinks?

ChiSoxRowand
04-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Would J.D. Durbin be called up?

balke
04-09-2005, 10:24 PM
I don't like cheering for injuries. I got burned cheering on Shannon's injury last season. Besides, I liked rocking Silva last season. :D:

PAPChiSox729
04-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Well I don't root for injuries, but having one of the Twins guys go down does help. But knowing the Twins, I am sure they have some up waiting and ready to dominate.

Whitesox029
04-09-2005, 11:43 PM
It's a mixed bag for me because I picked him in WSI Roto 2 :(:. Obviously I'm ok with the twins losing one of their starters, but I'd prefer it be Santana.

gobears1987
04-10-2005, 12:41 AM
They will go through the 5th starter hell we had last year. The only thing I don't like is the Tiwnks will make this an excuse for their poor performance. Never mind the fact Radke got rocked.

dcb33
04-10-2005, 02:50 AM

I'm not all that happy becuase I know we can slap Silva around and unfortunately the Sox always get into trouble when they face a pitcher they've never seen before.

Foulke You
04-10-2005, 12:09 PM
If their minor leaguers fail, I would have to think that Terry Ryan might get itchy to trade from their vaunted farm system for another starting pitcher. Pohlad won't green light anymore money to the team so it would have to be a deal where the other team pays the rest of the guy's salary. I won't root for an injury but the Sox do need to take advantage of it now that it has happened. Time to pounce.

mweflen
04-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Not that I want to cheer another team's injuries, but...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2033715

hope this helps us put some distance between us over the next 2 or 3 months. and of course, i hope we stay healthy.

SoxSpeed22
04-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Carlos Silva out till at least the all-star break (i apologize if I missed a previous thread on this)

How much does this injury affect the Twinks?A lot. He had over 200 innings pitched last year. He's also their third starter. For a team that depends on great pitching. This could be a tough one to live through. They don't have a "blank-faced" smiley, otherwise I'd use that.
:boston
"The Twins can still win 100 games. Gassner will be their ace within five weeks. Him and Johan Santana will be co- Cy Young winners and Joe Mauer will win MVP. The Twins will still win the World Series."

gobears1987
04-10-2005, 02:22 PM
I agree that our own staff has to stay healthy, but, God forbid that we have an injury, we have BMac.

MRKARNO
04-10-2005, 05:53 PM
This is absolutely devastating for the Twins in my view and in light of this, I can no longer pick them to win the AL Central. Silva's fairly good pitching in the three spot really aided the Twins immensely last year and I thought that his continuance of that was a major key for a team whose offense is not that impressive. Radke and Nathan are likely regression candidates (we've already seen Bradke get into trouble) and Santana might fall back a bit too. I'm not buying this team any longer as the division favorite in light of this news. It has been overlooked by many, but this is huge news for the AL Central.

SABRSox
04-10-2005, 05:59 PM
This is absolutely devastating for the Twins in my view and in light of this, I can no longer pick them to win the AL Central. Silva's fairly good pitching in the three spot really aided the Twins immensely last year and I thought that his continuance of that was a major key for a team whose offense is not that impressive. Radke and Nathan are likely regression candidates (we've already seen Bradke get into trouble) and Santana might fall back a bit too. I'm not buying this team any longer as the division favorite in light of this news. It has been overlooked by many, but this is huge news for the AL Central.

I agree that this hurts the Twins quite a bit, but I still wouldn't count them out. While I agree Radke will return to Earth this season, I don't see any regression coming from Nathan or Santana. They look just as sharp as they did last year.

But, from watching the Twins this season, they just appear more vulnerable than they have in season's past. I wouldn't count them out, but they appear (at least early on in the season) ripe for the taking. Let's go get 'em!

MRKARNO
04-10-2005, 06:36 PM
I agree that this hurts the Twins quite a bit, but I still wouldn't count them out. While I agree Radke will return to Earth this season, I don't see any regression coming from Nathan or Santana. They look just as sharp as they did last year.

But, from watching the Twins this season, they just appear more vulnerable than they have in season's past. I wouldn't count them out, but they appear (at least early on in the season) ripe for the taking. Let's go get 'em!

It's not that I'm counting them out, but they clearly have lost a lot of their edge over the Indians and White Sox with this loss and I do not believe that they remain the favorites. I predicted the White Sox to finish 2nd, but I think that their chances of finishing first got a big boost with this news.

PAPChiSox729
04-10-2005, 06:57 PM
It's not that I'm counting them out, but they clearly have lost a lot of their edge over the Indians and White Sox with this loss and I do not believe that they remain the favorites. I predicted the White Sox to finish 2nd, but I think that their chances of finishing first got a big boost with this news.

Agreed. This definitely hurts the Twins, no matter how bad you think Carlos Silva is. I am not sure that people will stop picking the Twinkies because of this injury, but this hurts their chances. Any new on who will replace Silva? I have heard that Mullholand will, which would be nice, but I have also heard that they will bring up J.D. Durbin.

SOXSINCE'70
04-11-2005, 01:17 PM
To those who think this is great news,Joe Mays will take Silva's
place in the rotation.This is the same Joe Mays Hawk sarcastically
calls "Cy Mays" when he pitches against the White Sox.Mays has
a very good W-L record against the Sox.

Like an earlier post said,they lose one guy,someone else
comes in and does just as good,if not better.:(:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-11-2005, 01:45 PM
To those who think this is great news,Joe Mays will take Silva's
place in the rotation.This is the same Joe Mays Hawk sarcastically
calls "Cy Mays" when he pitches against the White Sox.Mays has
a very good W-L record against the Sox.

Like an earlier post said,they lose one guy,someone else
comes in and does just as good,if not better.:(:
I can't find the right stats (so correct me if I'm wrong, stat-heads), but I think that while Carlos Silva pitched very well against the rest of the AL last year, our guys got to him a few times. Joe Mays pitches lights out against us, but not so great against the rest of the league. They've got a lot more games to play against everybody else than the sixteen that remain against the Sox. We'll take our lumps from Mays, and then hopefully watch him get b**ch-slapped by the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, and Angels.

Fredsox
04-12-2005, 05:58 AM
There seems to be some optimism that the injury to Silva is less than what was originally feared. They don't say why, they just say it might not be as bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2034651

Nellie_Fox
04-12-2005, 11:47 AM
There seems to be some optimism that the injury to Silva is less than what was originally feared. They don't say why, they just say it might not be as bad.Yeah, this morning on KFAN radio they said the Twins were going to get yet a third opinion, but that the first two physicians said he might be good to go in about three weeks.

SOXSINCE'70
04-12-2005, 01:42 PM
There seems to be some optimism that the injury to Silva is less than what was originally feared. They don't say why, they just say it might not be as bad.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2034651

Sounds kinda Beuhrle-esque to me.Remember his ankle injury in ST??

SOXSINCE'70
04-12-2005, 01:43 PM
I can't find the right stats (so correct me if I'm wrong, stat-heads), but I think that while Carlos Silva pitched very well against the rest of the AL last year, our guys got to him a few times. Joe Mays pitches lights out against us, but not so great against the rest of the league. They've got a lot more games to play against everybody else that the sixteen that remain against the Sox. We'll take our lumps from Mays, and then hopefully watch him get b**ch-slapped by the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, and Angels.

I'm not a stat head,but I hope you're right.

MisterB
04-12-2005, 02:26 PM
I can't find the right stats (so correct me if I'm wrong, stat-heads), but I think that while Carlos Silva pitched very well against the rest of the AL last year, our guys got to him a few times. Joe Mays pitches lights out against us, but not so great against the rest of the league. They've got a lot more games to play against everybody else that the sixteen that remain against the Sox. We'll take our lumps from Mays, and then hopefully watch him get b**ch-slapped by the Yankees, Red Sox, Rangers, and Angels.

He had a 5.71 ERA vs. the Sox and a 3.90 ERA against everybody else. The Sox also hit .312 off him and accounted for 30% of his home runs allowed.

DaleJRFan
04-12-2005, 03:29 PM

Karma can deffinately suck, but... I look at it this way; They are experiencing the luck the Sox have endured for the past few seasons. The Twins pulled Silva off of the scrap heap anyway. He's their Loaiza. Too bad for them. Let's make sure we jump all over their fifth starter.

Foulke You
04-12-2005, 03:45 PM

I was saying the same thing last year after the Sox were beating up on the Twins in the first half of the season. They looked nothing like the Twins teams that beat us in years past and then, the magic switch turned on, the Twins started to roll, Frank and Maggs went down, and the rest is best forgotten. Losing Silva hurts the Twins but I am not counting them out until the magic number for the Sox is at ZERO.

NonetheLoaiza
04-12-2005, 03:49 PM
I've got to say that I would want every single one of the Twins starters to be healthy, because it will be that much better when we beat them. Injuries are a part of the game, but how much better is it to say that we beat the Twins, and they have no excuses?

Foulke You
04-12-2005, 04:03 PM
I've got to say that I would want every single one of the Twins starters to be healthy, because it will be that much better when we beat them. Injuries are a part of the game, but how much better is it to say that we beat the Twins, and they have no excuses?

There is nothing wrong with pouncing on a team with injuries. The Twins did it to us last year after we lost Frank, Maggs, and Schoeneweis and nobody felt sorry for us...least of all the Twins. If the Sox are in the post season partially due to Twinkee injuries, let Torii and the rest of them complain all they want. We'll all be too busy ordering playoff tickets to bother with listening.:cool:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-12-2005, 05:36 PM
There is nothing wrong with pouncing on a team with injuries. The Twins did it to us last year after we lost Frank, Maggs, and Schoeneweis and nobody felt sorry for us...least of all the Twins. If the Sox are in the post season partially due to Twinkee injuries, let Torii and the rest of them complain all they want. We'll all be too busy ordering playoff tickets to bother with listening.:cool:
Preach it, brother!

NonetheLoaiza
04-13-2005, 12:32 PM

I know...I just think it would be sweeter because then they would have to say that we had a better ball club than them. I could see the overall feeling being, 'well, we didn't have so and so for the run, so the Sox got lucky' or something to that effect.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-13-2005, 01:06 PM
As far as I know, they don't put asterisks next to the division winners each year and list all of the injured players from the opposing teams.

Do you think Twins fans savor last season's title, when the Sox had key players on the DL, any less than 2003, when the Sox just choked in September?

NonetheLoaiza
04-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Do you think Twins fans savor last season's title, when the Sox had key players on the DL, any less than 2003, when the Sox just choked in September?

Not at all. Like I said, for me personally, I would love to beat the Twins with everything they have and everything we have this season.