PDA

View Full Version : Players not pleased with hazardous new outfield walls at Rogers Centre

Baby Fisk
04-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Has anybody seen these things? What a mess. Johnny Damon cut his arm crashing into one of two large video displays built into the outfield wall at Rogers Centre during Toronto's home opener. He left the game and needed stitches.

The Jays' own players are wary of making plays against the wall. Maybe some ivy would cushion the impacts.

from today's Toronto Star:
Outfielders worried about Jay video walls

Boston Red Sox outfielder Johnny Damon won't soon forget his first brush with the new video screens built into the outfield walls of the Rogers Centre.

Damon gashed his left elbow for six stitches when he ran into the wall while chasing down Eric Hinske's second-inning double in Boston's 6-5 victory over the Toronto Blue Jays last night.

Damon wasn't the only one with a beef about the new video screens. Jays centre fielder Vernon Wells crashed into left fielder Frank Catalanotto as the two were chasing David Ortiz's RBI double in the seventh.

Wells admitted he was distracted by the new screen. "Normally, I'd be able to jump into the wall and not have a problem, but you do it now, you may kill yourself," he said.

Jays outfielder Gabe Gross said he's reluctant to chase balls headed for the screens.

"Going into a plexiglass wall all-out is a broken arm or a concussion or something," he said. "You can't stick your feet into it and go up or anything like that."

Whitesox029
04-09-2005, 06:15 PM
When did they change the name? I don't remember hearing anything about that. I thought it was still SkyDome.

FarWestChicago
04-09-2005, 06:16 PM
When did they change the name? I don't remember hearing anything about that. I thought it was still SkyDome.Ted bought it (http://www.flyingsock.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=44888&highlight=rogers).

Fenway
04-09-2005, 07:26 PM
http://www.daktronics.com/images/whatsnew/bluejays_500.jpg

similar to the boards installed in Cleveland last year

Banix12
04-09-2005, 07:51 PM
I saw them today watching the Red Sox - Toronto game earlier. I can see how these would be annoying for fielders, I think mostly the problem is the color of the graphics they are using on the board, not just the board. A lot of bright neon greens and blues, not the easiest thing on the eyes.

Rocklive99
04-09-2005, 09:42 PM
That's up there with the hill/pole at Minute Maid Park. I knew something really looked weird during the highlights of yesterdays Carmine/Jays game

RKMeibalane
04-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Those look stupid, among other things. I will never understand Major League Baseball's obsession with strange signs and posters, nor will I understand the need for certain parks to have structural oddities, such as the hill.