PDA

View Full Version : Is or farm system that bad? Or if we were the Twins...

Tragg
04-09-2005, 11:43 AM
where would we be?

First - Frank
Second-Durham
Short - uhhhhhh
3rd - Same - Crede
Catcher - uhhhh
RF - Magglio
CF - Cameron/Rowand/Reed
LF - Lee

SP
MB
Kip Wells
Josh Fogg
??
??

RP - fill in the blanks - Bradford, Adkins, Levine, Biddle,

The Twins, of course, traded some vets to get some young players. Therefore we could add to our list:

RF - Sosa
SP - Garland, Wilson Alavarez
RP - Cotts, Marte

I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch

Could also trade some of the excess (3 CF, e.g.) for young players.
Our farm system has turned out 3 of the most prolific hitters of this generation: Frank, Sosa, Ordonez

i.e. I don't think the farm has been that bad.

likeawarlord
04-09-2005, 11:48 AM
dont forget miguel olivo at catcher, paul konerko at first, ketih foulke at rp, bobby howry..i'm stretching now. at any rate, we'd have a relatively well rounded team.

Tragg
04-09-2005, 11:50 AM
dont forget miguel olivo at catcher, paul konerko at first, ketih foulke at rp, bobby howry..i'm stretching now. at any rate, we'd have a relatively well rounded team.

None were home-grown, except for Howry (and something in the back of my mind tells me that he was part of the white flag); but they fit what the Twins did. We'd scratch Bradford, Cameron and Alvarez. could add wunsch too.

hose
04-09-2005, 12:12 PM
None were home-grown, except for Howry (and something in the back of my mind tells me that he was part of the white flag); but they fit what the Twins did. We'd scratch Bradford, Cameron and Alvarez. could add wunsch too.

Howry was indeed part of the white flagger.

voodoochile
04-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Bit of a stretch to claim none of those guys count. I mean they never played a game except for the games they played for the Sox.

Did the Twins draft every single one of their players or did they acquire some minor leaguers by trading away veteran talent.

Also, the Sox haven't had a top 5 draft pick in a LONG time. You don't trade or sign FA's eventually you start sucking and then you get the high picks and then you get the window the Twins are currently in. (In theory...)

DaleJRFan
04-09-2005, 02:06 PM
If we are talking players drafted and developed by the Sox then...

Paulie came over in the Cameron trade, so he doesn't count. Adkins was from the Durham trade, he doesn't count. Cotts came over in the Foulke trade, so he doesn't count. Marte from the Pirates, Gload from the Rockies (waivers???) etc etc.....

Who says you need a great farm system to have a great team? Red Sox and Yankees win 90 games a year with piss-poor farm systems, then again, White Sox don't have a 100MM payroll. The White Sox have one of the better starting rotations in the AL... one starter was drafted by the Sox. Sox have one of the deepest pullpens in the Central, if not AL... and exactly none of them were drafted by the Sox.

DaleJRFan
04-09-2005, 02:08 PM
...to add to what I said, without editing my post... Sox have a history of drafting great outifelders. I guess that can be our claim to fame in terms of developing talent... Maggs, CLee, ARow, Borchard (he will become a solid player), Reed, Anderson, Sweeney, etc..

MisterB
04-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Where the Twins come from (active roster only):

100% Twin (12):
Joe Mauer (1st round pick/1st overall)
Justin Morneau (3rd)
Luis Rivas (amateur FA)
Mike Cuddyer (1st/9th)
Torii Hunter (1st/20th)
Jacque Jones (2nd)
Matt LeCroy (1st/50th)
Jesse Crain (2nd)
Brad Radke (8th)
Juan Rincon (Am. FA)
JC Romero (21st)

'Partial' Twins (6):
Jason Bartlett ('A' ball level - drafted by San Diego)
Kyle Lohse (A - Cubs)
Joe Mays (A - Seattle)
Johan Santana (A* - Houston)
Carlos Silva (AA - Philadelphia)
Matt Guerrier - (AAA - Sox)

MLB-level acquisitions (7):
Shannon Stewart (trade)
Corky Miller (FA)
Mike Redmond (FA)
Juan Castro (FA)
Nick Punto (FA)
Terry Mulholland (FA)
Joe Nathan (trade)

*- It should be noted that Santana spent no time in the Twin's minor league system, he west straight from A ball to the ML roster.

SABRSox
04-09-2005, 02:46 PM
You have to be bad for an extended stretch of time to get the draft picks the Twins had. The White Sox, who have had their ups and downs, have usually seen their downs as underachieving, mediocre seasons. Even then, though, they weren't finishing bad enough to get top ten picks.

Still, the Sox have been able to build a relatively decent farm system. The credit there goes to the scouting department. And I honestly believe that had Joe Borchard panned out, people would have been thinking of the Sox minor league system in the same vein as the Twins.

s.dedalus
04-09-2005, 03:07 PM
*- It should be noted that Santana spent no time in the Twin's minor league system, he west straight from A ball to the ML roster.

Actually, Santana spent the first part of 2002 in Twins' AAA at Edmonton. It doesn't seem like much, but that's where Bobby Cuellar helped him develop his changeup. After coming back up, his K/9 doubled from the previous year.

MisterB
04-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Actually, Santana spent the first part of 2002 in Twins' AAA at Edmonton. It doesn't seem like much, but that's where Bobby Cuellar helped him develop his changeup. After coming back up, his K/9 doubled from the previous year.

I was only concerned with minor league time between acquisition and ML callup. Santana was acquired, went straight to the ML roster, and spent 2 whole seasons in the majors before being sent down.

Daver
04-09-2005, 07:06 PM
...to add to what I said, without editing my post... Sox have a history of drafting great outifelders. I guess that can be our claim to fame in terms of developing talent... Maggs, CLee, ARow, Borchard (he will become a solid player), Reed, Anderson, Sweeney, etc..

Neither Magglio nor Lee were drafted by the Sox, they were signed to minor league contracts. You can only draft players from the USA.

likeawarlord
09-05-2005, 07:36 PM

excatly, im just throwing out other players who weren't established big leaguers yet when the sox acquired them

SOXSINCE'70
09-05-2005, 07:40 PM
None were home-grown, except for Howry (and something in the back of my mind tells me that he was part of the white flag);

Both he and Foulke were part of the WF trade.So,too,was the
immortal Lorenzo Barcelo.:roflmao: :roflmao:IIRC,Mike Caruso was also
part of the WF trade as well.

The Dude
09-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Cant bring back old ass threads like this.