PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on the fm broadcast?

ewokpelts
04-09-2005, 10:10 AM
I liked it. Clearer audio, and I could listen to it at work.
Gene

tebman
04-09-2005, 10:18 AM
I liked it. Clearer audio, and I could listen to it at work.
Gene

The audio was clearer. The limitation is signal range. It's good for those of us who live close enough to the city to receive it, but when you get more than 40 miles or so away from downtown it f-f-f-fades in that sputtering FM way.

That's why AM is so nice for long-form things like ballgames. If you're in your car, you can pretty much drive all night and not lose the signal from the big AMs. WMVP is directional to the east at night, but if the rumors are true and the Sox are going to WSCR next year (the old WMAQ), we'll be able to hear the games clearly in about 30 states.

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 10:28 AM
SPeaking of AM ranges. At night, they bounce off of the ionosphere causing extremely long ranges. We were in Chatanooga driving back from Florida at 4:00 am a few weeks ago and we picked up WBBM down there. Chatanooga is on the Georgia border so that's far. It's amazing how AM radio waves work. Frequency Modulation waves are clearer, that's why music stations broadcast in FM, but they lack the range the Sox will need to broadcast.

Ol' No. 2
04-09-2005, 10:58 AM
I liked the FM broadcast since I'm west of the WMVP transmitter and can't get squat after 8:00. After Hawk and DJ spent 20 min chatting up Harmon Killebrew and then started ANOTHER session with Carew, I just switched to the radio broadcast...where they were talking with Harmon Killebrew.:angry: But at least on radio they still have to do the PBP.

Brian26
04-09-2005, 11:29 AM
After Hawk and DJ spent 20 min chatting up Harmon Killebrew and then started ANOTHER session with Carew, I just switched to the radio broadcast...

Yeah, the Killebrew and Carew lovefest got old really fast, but it's basically a once-a-year thing, so no big deal.

I actually enjoyed listening to the game on the FM here in the city. I have a hard time picking up the AM stations on my tuner. The FM signal came in perfectly.

ewokpelts
04-09-2005, 11:36 AM
The audio was clearer. The limitation is signal range. It's good for those of us who live close enough to the city to receive it, but when you get more than 40 miles or so away from downtown it f-f-f-fades in that sputtering FM way.

That's why AM is so nice for long-form things like ballgames. If you're in your car, you can pretty much drive all night and not lose the signal from the big AMs. WMVP is directional to the east at night, but if the rumors are true and the Sox are going to WSCR next year (the old WMAQ), we'll be able to hear the games clearly in about 30 states.
i dont get 1000 downtown...4 blocks from the station's hq...fm's better in my opinion
Gene

Max Power
04-09-2005, 11:50 AM
I liked the broadcast. The Zone rocks the Sox!
Did they have games on the Zone last season when there was a conflict with the Bulls or is this the first season they've done it?
Also, does anyone know how conflict games ended up on the Zone? I think it's better than putting them on some random AM station that no one knows, but is there something else to it. Does WMVP own the Zone or anything like that?

tebman
04-09-2005, 11:56 AM
i dont get 1000 downtown...4 blocks from the station's hq...fm's better in my opinion
Gene

Yeah, that's the flip side of the AM-FM question. If you're deep in a city inside a steel-frame building that's surrounded by other steel-frame buildings, AM reception is tough. FM reception downtown can be dicey too, because of multipath reflections off the buildings.

The FM transmitters are downtown on top of the gonzo buildings (Sears, Hancock, etc.), spraying out signal like a high-pressure hose at their higher frequencies, while the AM transmittes are out in open fields miles from town pushing their low-frequency signals like long-travelling ocean waves. The downtown steel frames act like a breakwater blocking the AM signals, and the reflective surfaces of the downtown buildings splash back the tightly focussed FM signals.

What's the answer? A long-wire antenna out the window for AM reception, and a directional antenna out the window for FM reception.

Or, wait! I know! we could buy a ticket and go to the game. :tongue:

Lip Man 1
04-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Shades of the good old days of 1971 - 1972. LOL

Lip

tebman
04-09-2005, 12:02 PM
I liked the broadcast. The Zone rocks the Sox!
Did they have games on the Zone last season when there was a conflict with the Bulls or is this the first season they've done it?
Also, does anyone know how conflict games ended up on the Zone? I think it's better than putting them on some random AM station that no one knows, but is there something else to it. Does WMVP own the Zone or anything like that?

Disney owns ESPN (WMVP 1000) and ABC (WLS 890 and WZZN 94.7) and Radio Disney (WRDZ 1300). Actually their studios are all down the hall from each other at 190 N. State Street downtown, so it's possible that the "shadow" station could be any of those.

SOXSINCE'70
04-09-2005, 12:44 PM
Shades of the good old days of 1971 - 1972. LOL

Lip

Yikes!! I remember why I always fell asleep watching Sox games
when I was 9-10 years old;there was little to no radio signal.
Channel 44 came in best on my 8" black and white Aiwa TV.:cool:

Max Power
04-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Disney owns ESPN (WMVP 1000) and ABC (WLS 890 and WZZN 94.7) and Radio Disney (WRDZ 1300). Actually their studios are all down the hall from each other at 190 N. State Street downtown, so it's possible that the "shadow" station could be any of those.

Thanks. I figured it had to be something like that.

OG4LIFE
04-09-2005, 01:27 PM
the braves broadcast their games on FM here in atlanta, and i love it. range isnt bad, i was able to get the game some 50-100 miles outside the perimeter of the city. great clarity, all around i really liked listening to it on FM.

i am unsure if they also broadcast on AM, although im sure that would be a tough business proposition to pull off, without exclusivity... i do think, that would be the best case for game coverage- FM for those close enough to the city, and AM for whoever was outside the city (say, in champaign) and still wanted to pick up the game.

tebman
04-09-2005, 01:44 PM
the braves broadcast their games on FM here in atlanta, and i love it. range isnt bad, i was able to get the game some 50-100 miles outside the perimeter of the city. great clarity, all around i really liked listening to it on FM.

i am unsure if they also broadcast on AM, although im sure that would be a tough business proposition to pull off, without exclusivity... i do think, that would be the best case for game coverage- FM for those close enough to the city, and AM for whoever was outside the city (say, in champaign) and still wanted to pick up the game.

The Braves changed last year from WSB 750 (a big ol' 50kW AM) to WGST 640 (only 1kW at night) and WKLS 96.1. Obviously the Braves got a better money deal, but the AM station is so puny that the FM station dominates the coverage.

Without the big AM station flagship, they have to rely on whatever network of smaller stations to get out to the remote provinces where other fans are.

I want Mags back
04-09-2005, 02:51 PM
for morons like me, where can we now get in on FM:?:

Fenway
04-09-2005, 03:52 PM
If Selig has his way all games will be on FM by 2007 to enhance the value of XM

In Metro area no problem but away from the market you have to pay

Foulke You
04-09-2005, 04:14 PM
for morons like me, where can we now get in on FM:?:

The Sox were only on FM 94.7 last night because of a conflict with the Bulls broadcast on AM1000. They'll probably be back on AM1000 today.

The Wimperoo
04-09-2005, 04:36 PM
The Sox were only on FM 94.7 last night because of a conflict with the Bulls broadcast on AM1000. They'll probably be back on AM1000 today.

No they are on 94.7 again tonight, because the Bulls play tonight too.

Fenway
04-09-2005, 04:44 PM
No they are on 94.7 again tonight, because the Bulls play tonight too.

and the Zone has a White Sox promotion all weekend

http://www.947zone.com/Article.asp?id=55897

Whitesox029
04-09-2005, 07:05 PM
I was very surprised last Friday while driving up to Milwaukee to hear WMVP coming in clear even in the Brewers' parking lot. If AM stations go so far though, then wouldn't frequencies overlap in different cities?

spongyfungy
04-09-2005, 07:39 PM
I liked it as well.

XM is in stereo, correct? And no blackouts?

SpartanSoxFan
04-09-2005, 08:51 PM
How many games are going to be on 94.7 FM this year? Is this just an experimental thing or what?

Fake Chet Lemon
04-09-2005, 10:24 PM
It blows, I can't get it on one radio in my house. It's not like I'm in Grundy County, I'm in outer Cook :angry: :angry: !

Fake Chet Lemon
04-09-2005, 10:29 PM
If Selig has his way all games will be on FM by 2007 to enhance the value of XM

In Metro area no problem but away from the market you have to pay

Why does something tell me that baseball will have LESS fans in the future if they do this? Think Eddie Einhorn and SoxVision-OnTV.

tebman
04-11-2005, 12:31 PM
I was very surprised last Friday while driving up to Milwaukee to hear WMVP coming in clear even in the Brewers' parking lot. If AM stations go so far though, then wouldn't frequencies overlap in different cities?

Yes they would. That's why stations are assigned frequencies in an elaborate checkerboard pattern so they stay out of each other's way as best they can. The big AMs, like WSCR (ex-WMAQ), WGN, WBBM, WLS, etc., operate at 50kW day and night, and the other stations around the country on the same frequency are required to either sign off or drastically reduce their power after sundown. The big AMs get this private-room treatment because they were the first ones there -- they all date back to the early 1920s.

The smaller AM stations, as well as all the FM stations, operate with elaborate directional patterns. On a map it looks like puzzle pieces as the signals on a single frequency try to stay out of each other's way.

There's a great site where you can see this. Go to www.radio-locator.com (http://www.radio-locator.com/) and look up any station. If you click on the "i" icon for information it'll show the technical details and have a clickable antenna-pattern map. Very cool for us propeller-heads. :cool:

ewokpelts
04-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Why does something tell me that baseball will have LESS fans in the future if they do this? Think Eddie Einhorn and SoxVision-OnTV. i doubt it...not only is the radio broadcast less important now, but listeners that want better programming are already going to satellite..fo rprrof, go up and down teh dial today...pure crap..
Gene