PDA

View Full Version : Ozuna to left field Sunday

JRIG
04-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Guillen said that Pablo Ozuna, who batted an eye-opening .527 in spring training, is probably going to start in left field Sunday night.

From the Daily Herald.

What, is Joe Nossek making out the lineup card again? And if this is true, just what exactly are we paying Timo Perez a million dollars to do?

:jerry
"Good. I see you got my message. Can't let the season go too long without a good tinker."

harwar
04-09-2005, 08:51 AM
If Santana is on,it really doesn't matter if your looking at him from the left-side or right-side.
However;Givivng Osuna the start just makes sense.

jabrch
04-09-2005, 09:03 AM
It's great a guy like Ozuna gets a chance to play once a week. But wouldn't that just suck to not hit for over a week, and then to have 4 ABs vs Santana?

Anyhow - Buena suerte Pablo.

The Racehorse
04-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Garland is questionable for tonight's start, now this... time to change my PTC for a third time.

Clembasbal
04-09-2005, 09:54 AM
I am sure he can't do any worse than anybody else will against Santana.

mealfred13
04-09-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the Sox don't look anywhere near as bad as they did against Santana late in the season last year, while he was on cruise control.

In fact, I predict a pretty solid attack against him after the guys get a few at-bats under their belts.

OEO Magglio
04-09-2005, 11:33 AM
What???

From the Daily Herald.

What, is Joe Nossek making out the lineup card again? And if this is true, just what exactly are we paying Timo Perez a million dollars to do?

:jerry
"Good. I see you got my message. Can't let the season go too long without a good tinker."
That's sunday not tonight. It makes absolutely perfect sense, ozzie wants to get as many righties in their as possible against Johan, timo isn't in there because he's also left handed.

JRIG
04-09-2005, 11:51 AM
That's sunday not tonight. It makes absolutely perfect sense, ozzie wants to get as many righties in their as possible against Johan, timo isn't in there because he's also left handed.

Sigh.

It does make more sense for Sunday night. I just can't believe he's our best option for a right-handed hitter in a situation like this. Plus we'll have Everett batting RH where he struggles mightily. Probably Widger in the lineup, I would guess?

Rowand
Iguchi
Konerko
Dye
Everett
Crede
Uribe
Widger
Ozuna

The bottom of that lineup is really bad. I shouldn't be so negative, though. It's early and we're 3-1 (should be 4-0).

JB98
04-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Ozuna is not an outfielder by trade, and I think it's foolish to put him out there in the MetroDome. How much do you want to bet he loses a ball in the ceiling?

I say keep Pods in the lineup. Screw the lefty vs. righty deal.

OEO Magglio
04-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Sigh.

It does make more sense for Sunday night. I just can't believe he's our best option for a right-handed hitter in a situation like this. Plus we'll have Everett batting RH where he struggles mightily. Probably Widger in the lineup, I would guess?

Rowand
Iguchi
Konerko
Dye
Everett
Crede
Uribe
Widger
Ozuna

The bottom of that lineup is really bad. I shouldn't be so negative, though. It's early and we're 3-1 (should be 4-0).
Just a guess but I assume AJ will be in the lineup and I also think Rowand will be down in the order with Iguchi leading off and Ozuna batting 2nd.

Ol' No. 2
04-09-2005, 12:45 PM
Ozuna is not an outfielder by trade, and I think it's foolish to put him out there in the MetroDome. How much do you want to bet he loses a ball in the ceiling?

I say keep Pods in the lineup. Screw the lefty vs. righty deal.I agree with this. The potential disasters from mis-playing balls in a position he's not accustomed to playing is a lot greater than any gain from the lefty-righty matchup.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Shades of Josh Paul in left field at the Metrodome from a few years back.

Yikes!!!!! Where's Julio Ramirez when you need him! LOL

Lip

HITMEN OF 77
04-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Lefty vs Righty and vice versa is stupid. If your playing in the majors you should be able to hit or pitch against anyone.

DaleJRFan
04-09-2005, 01:56 PM
Let Everett play left field and DH one of the righty bench players. Gload hits lefties as well as he does righties, but he looks real bad so far this season (including ST)...

Foulke You
04-09-2005, 02:26 PM
I agree with this. The potential disasters from mis-playing balls in a position he's not accustomed to playing is a lot greater than any gain from the lefty-righty matchup.

I agree...Pods or Timo should be in the lineup instead. The Sox are going to be sacrificing defense for offense and that isn't a good thing to do against Minnesota. Maybe they figure since Buehrle is more of a groundball pitcher, he won't see many flyballs?:?:

Mohoney
04-09-2005, 02:37 PM

Thank you.

ChiSoxRowand
04-09-2005, 04:03 PM

I agree. It can't hurt to have 1 lefty in the lineup. I thought Ozuna would start Monday, day game after a night game.

SoxxoS
04-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Pods has looked more comfortable against lefties than righties thusfar.

I think Pablo Ozuna is just going to own Santana, though.

kevingrt
04-09-2005, 05:04 PM
I do wish to see Pods playing everyday like most of the rest of you Sox fans. But aren't you somewhat excited to see Pablo start. He had an awesome spring and maybe he can get a hit or two tonight kind of like what Willie did last night coming off the bench. This bench should be a very nice bright spot this year as should the bullpen. Back up players are very nice to see on this team.

SABRSox
04-09-2005, 05:09 PM
Because I'm sure you all wanted to know:

2004 Season
Santana vs. LH Batters: 194 AB, .196 BAA, 5 HR, 10 BB, 52 K, .238 OBP, .314 SLG.

Santana vs. RH Batters: 618 AB, .191 BAA, 19 HR, 44 BB, 213 K, .253 OBP, .316 SLG.

There is a minute advantage to putting a right handed batter against Santana. IMO, it does not compensate for the downgrade defensively in left field, or the speed advantage Pods would bring should he manage to get on base.

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 05:16 PM
looking at the stats. THe HR and BB numbers are proportional when you factor AB for each. Slugging and BA are about the same. It looks like RH and LH are about equal with him.

fuzzy_patters
04-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Because I'm sure you all wanted to know:

2004 Season
Santana vs. LH Batters: 194 AB, .196 BAA, 5 HR, 10 BB, 52 K, .238 OBP, .314 SLG.

Santana vs. RH Batters: 618 AB, .191 BAA, 19 HR, 44 BB, 213 K, .253 OBP, .316 SLG.

There is a minute advantage to putting a right handed batter against Santana. IMO, it does not compensate for the downgrade defensively in left field, or the speed advantage Pods would bring should he manage to get on base.

Santana's statistics are only half the story. Here are Podsednik's career splits.

vs LH 297 AB .246 AVG 7 HR 26 BB 58 K .312 OBP .387 SLG

vs RH 921 AB .284 AVG 15 HR 92 BB 144 K .354 OBP .404 SLG

From these numbers there is a big advantage in not playing Podsednik against a left-hander, and I am sure the risk is greater when the left hander is as good as Santana. Podsednik is approx. .040 lower in both OBP and AVG against lefties. Podsednik has a lot of speed, but it would be wasted if he never reached base.

batmanZoSo
04-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Sigh.

Rowand
Iguchi
Konerko
Dye
Everett
Crede
Uribe
Widger
Ozuna

It will be cool to send an all righty lineup against Santana. I'd still like to see Pods in there though, I mean can't he bunt against a lefty? When you get on against Santana you have to make something out of it and Scotty's gonna be our best option when it comes to that because of his speed. Bunt, steal, blooper, we win 1-0. :cool:

Shorty1983
04-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Has Ozuna played any outfield position(s) in ST or prior in his career? I know he's played all 3 infield spots but why LF? Pods has been on a hitting the ball fairly good and could be a threat on base. It would make more sense to give Crede the day off, since he's been on a hitting slump with 2 errors. Joe needs to focus and regain his confidence level early in the season.

mealfred13
04-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Ozuna played 3B, SS, 2B and LF during ST. And might I add he looked really good in every one of those positions, especially 3B and LF. He made a couple plays at third that only some of the better third basemen in the league would be able to make, and he had a great arm throwing from the line to first.

CallMeNuts
04-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Play Pods. Rest CREDE!

jabrch
04-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Pablo definitely deserves a start. The only debate is if you keep Joe in the lineup, or Scotty. I'll defer to Ozzie's best judgement on who will hit Johan better.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-10-2005, 11:48 AM
Since we have to play a night game, travel from the road, to another road series, and play a day game- it's good idea to get some guys some at bats and keep everyone fresh. Who makes our schedule, that sucks they have to do that?!