PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Brantley on ESPN

Iron Dragon
04-09-2005, 01:05 AM
My opinion of him has now been officially degraded to "moron." What was one of their big stories? Certainly not the Sox's starting pitching! It was how Kerry Wood and his 95 mph fastball had Brewers hitters baffled today. I watched most of that game today, and he was LUCKY to only have given up 1 run in the first 3 innings. I guess it was his GREAT control that allowed him to, almost, pitch more balls than strikes (52-50), with FIVE walks.

EVERY one of the Sox's starters has pitched better than that other fool has, including Garcia. Maybe someday ESPN will wake up.

wsoxfan
04-09-2005, 01:12 AM
I saw that too, he's an idiot...

Tragg
04-09-2005, 01:43 AM
I'm so sick of all of ESPN's coverage. This endless hype of red sox-yankees is ludicrous (one of these days I'm going to figure out which team the Yanks have kept out of the playoffs most often - my guess is it's not boston, but us). Prior to last year, Boston had been to 3 WS since I've been following the game, lost all 3 in 7 games, and not once to the yankees.:smile:

The notion that people are transfixed on this "rivalry" is a complete creation of ESPN - which does some good creating. They created U Conn, their home team, athletics from absolute scratch. Kerry "John Garland with strikeouts" Wood has been hyped into a front-line pitcher.

TomParrish79
04-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Did they even show Sox highlights on baseball tonite??

Rocklive99
04-09-2005, 01:52 AM

Nope, WHAT A JOKE! If I would express my true feelings of ESPN and their piece of crap show, I'd be instantly banned. And this is when Indians-Tigers highlights were shown. The only time we are mentioned is so Brantley can compare our bullpen to the Flubs after they blow a save? Thanks for the insight Jeff, or maybe you and Larry can practice mumbling 'Left handed vs left handed' some more. Seriously, the whole show is a joke, I want the 20 minutes of my life back!

Kadafi311
04-09-2005, 02:00 AM
They didn't show White Sox highlights on Sports Center or Baseball Tonight - very frustrating. I blame the fair weather fans that polute this country. If there were as many White Sox fans in Chicago as there were Yankee fans in California, we'd get plenty of coverage. ESPN is just catering to the ratings.

It blows, but business is business... and ESPN is a for profit organization.

Tragg
04-09-2005, 02:03 AM
They didn't show White Sox highlights on Sports Center or Baseball Tonight - very frustrating. I blame the fair weather fans that polute this country. If there were as many White Sox fans in Chicago as there were Yankee fans in California, we'd get plenty of coverage. ESPN is just catering to the ratings.

It blows, but business is business... and ESPN is a for profit organization.

To a large extent, they create their own demand. And they have an ethical responsibility to cover news, whether or not it concerns the yankees or the bosox.

ESPN is now hyping the living dogmeat out of "Fever Pitch" a movie about a bosox fan. It's absolutely ridiculous. And I know some of it is advertising, but more of it is the talk show hosts.

TomParrish79
04-09-2005, 02:15 AM
I was playing poker on the internet and I knew i didnt hear the highlights.

That sucks big time, they show indians/tigers but not Twins/Sox

Its really getting aggravating.

And the season isnt even a week old.

Shorty1983
04-09-2005, 02:18 AM
Nope, WHAT A JOKE! If I would express my true feelings of ESPN and their piece of crap show, I'd be instantly banned. And this is when Indians-Tigers highlights were shown. The only time we are mentioned is so Brantley can compare our bullpen to the Flubs after they blow a save? Thanks for the insight Jeff, or maybe you and Larry can practice mumbling 'Left handed vs left handed' some more. Seriously, the whole show is a joke, I want the 20 minutes of my life back!

I hear you, I watched both shows and was waiting for some highlights of today's game. But, they rather have a 5 minute segment on the Cubs lousy opening day meltdown.

balke
04-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Brantley's got a freaking vendetta w/ the Sox. They let that loser announce a Sox game last season, and he talked about how great the Cubs were all game, and they kept cutting to shots of the urinal, and he kept talking about Kerry Wood and how the Cubs were still going to win the World Series. He purposely mumbles over the Sox name whenever they come up, and rips them illogically any chance he gets. They were talking about lefty lefty BA. and the list was of the 4 best had Vizcaino on it, and he mumbled over his name as if he didn't exist.

I just read "what baseball needs" from Peter Gammons. "The Twins would've beaten the Yankees if Mauer was healthy last season". That's funny. THat's VERY funny Peter. I wonder if the Twins would've even been there if another team would've had their players for a full healthy season.

The White Sox are going to be 4th... I didn't know that. Something is seriously messed up with the Sox/ESPN relationship. I think it is more than market, its crazy the amount of disrespect shown at times.

Rocklive99
04-09-2005, 02:27 AM
Brantley's got a freaking vendetta w/ the Sox. They let that loser announce a Sox game last season, and he talked about how great the Cubs were all game, and they kept cutting to shots of the urinal, and he kept talking about Kerry Wood and how the Cubs were still going to win the World Series. He purposely mumbles over the Sox name whenever they come up, and rips them illogically any chance he gets. They were talking about lefty lefty BA. and the list was of the 4 best had Vizcaino on it, and he mumbled over his name as if he didn't exist.

I didn't want to sound nitpicky, but I noticed that too. That after he talked for 5 minutes about Kent Mercker on the other list

ChiSoxRowand
04-09-2005, 02:28 AM
[QUOTE=balke]Brantley's got a freaking vendetta w/ the Sox. They let that loser announce a Sox game last season, and he talked about how great the Cubs were all game, and they kept cutting to shots of the urinal, and he kept talking about Kerry Wood and how the Cubs were still going to win the World Series. QUOTE]

Was this a Sox-Cubs game? Thats a joke no matter what, but its an even bigger joke if it wasn't a Sox-Cubs game. I remember last year during the Cubs choke when they lost the first game of the Braves series on Friday and they were like 2 games out, the dumbass still said they would make the playoffs.

ChiSox14305635
04-09-2005, 02:30 AM
It's ESPN, people. Seriously, what did you expect?:rolleyes:

BainesHOF
04-09-2005, 02:31 AM
ESPN needs to take a serious look in the mirror. As a marketing entity it may be succeeding, and perhaps that's all it cares about, but it's become an editorial joke.

nasox
04-09-2005, 02:42 AM
ESPN baseball coverage sucks, other than that its cool, although I really hate Back Back Back Berman.

ChiSox14305635
04-09-2005, 02:49 AM
ESPN baseball coverage sucks, other than that its cool, although I really hate Back Back Back Berman.

I guess you've never seen their NBA coverage. Ugh. Give me TNT with Ernie Johnson, Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith, & David Aldredge anyday over that horrible group with Stephen A. Smith.

Wsoxmike59
04-09-2005, 07:07 AM
I agree Jeff Brantley is a moron. I mean the big hick STILL WEARS A MULLET!!! When Espn showed the highlights (lowlights) of Shingo's blown save against Cle a couple of nights ago, he was practically laughing out loud at how ineffective Takatsu was. From one pitcher to another....not cool.

I bet Brantley's vendetta against the Sox stems from the strike year of '94. He's probably still pissed that Jerry Reinsdorf stood up to the players union.

hose
04-09-2005, 08:06 AM

I actually tuned in thinking I would get some coverage because I couldn't watch the game.

Not only wasn't the highlights shown on BBT , but the score wasn't even mentioned.

The only bit about the Sox was when they showed Hawkins blowing the Cub game. Chicago's baseball teams closers results from the last few years were shown on a graphic.

Brantley was saying how bad the Sox have been since letting Foulke "get away". (No mention of Shingo only blowing one save last year.)

I pretty much gave up on ESPN's baseball tonight last year. Thinking I could at least get to see the Sox highlights against the Twins in a sold out home opener isn't asking to much. I'm done with them, it's pointless to even watch unless you want Red Sox or Yankee info and WSI has Fenway reporting on everything Boston so I'm already covered.

CSN or Jigg's doing Chicago Tribune Live is probably the best bet for Sox coverage.

Kadafi311
04-09-2005, 09:30 AM
To a large extent, they create their own demand.

That's certainly a point worth arguing. However, I would still argue that the main culprit is the damn fair weather fans in this country - everyone wants to ride the same bandwagon (*cough* Cubs/Yankees/BoSox *cough*). I'm wondering if ESPN didn't show highlights because a lot of their supposed "experts" chose the Sox to be horrible and the Twins to win the World Series? That wouldn't surpise me either.

It's even more frustrating for people like myself that live across the country. We can't flip on FOX or FOX Sports Net and catch the post-game. The only highlights or analysis I can hope for come from ESPN. Sure, I can watch the game via PPV (and I do) but 50% of the time I have to listen to the other teams announcers. And when it is Hawk and DJ, right when the game ends they drop the feed, so no post-game show. Thank god for the internet.

The Wimperoo
04-09-2005, 10:55 AM
I must have a special version of Sportscenter running on my TV. The Sox/Twins highlights were shown. They showed Paulie's HR, Aaron's HR, and then El Duque striking out the last 2 batters in the 7th.

:prozac
:chickenlittle

FightingBillini
04-09-2005, 11:20 AM
This garbage spewed from Brantley's mouth last season going into the last weekend of the regular season. The Astros were up by 1 game at the time.

"The Astros are good, they will take 2 out of 3 this weekend, but Im still gotta go with the Cubbies to take the Wildcard. They are America's team. The Cubs are good and hungry, and they will take 2 out of 3 from the Braves."
:?::?::?:

Either this moron was taught math by Leon Spinx or HE HAD NO IDEA WHO WAS EVEN IN THE LEAD in the Wildcard race. What a joke.

santo=dorf
04-09-2005, 12:34 PM
The only mention the Sox got was how both Chicago teams have had closing problems since 2002.

shoota
04-09-2005, 02:11 PM
The only bit about the Sox was when they showed Hawkins blowing the Cub game. Chicago's baseball teams closers results from the last few years were shown on a graphic.

Brantley was saying how bad the Sox have been since letting Foulke "get away". (No mention of Shingo only blowing one save last year.)

That really upsets me. It's like their rationale is if the Cubbies do bad, let's make the Sox look bad too because we can't portray the Sox in a positive light.

That inaccurate comment about our closing situation is garbage. I don't know if it's just inaccurate reporting or an intentional oversight so he can sound informed. Either way, you can now add Brantley to my do-not-respect list.

I want Mags back
04-09-2005, 03:10 PM
**** ESPN. I now watch SportsNite on CSN, with usually 10min Sox, 10min Bulls, 10min other

Infallible
04-09-2005, 05:18 PM
Bermen is a retard with no hair. Brantley is a complete moron with a bad hair cut.

Captian Ron
04-09-2005, 05:31 PM
I say we should all boycott the media. For example the Sun-times w/ that idiot Marriotti, ESPN with all there bumbling idiots and of course the cubune. CSN is the only good sports channel in Chicagoland.:gulp::redneck

skobabe8
04-09-2005, 06:38 PM

Theres a guy that should stay as far away from baseball coverage as possible. I know he's ripped on the sox on a few occassions, most notably during all-star weekend of '03. Every time he does a broadcast he spends more energy making up stupid nicknames and talking about adult contemporary music than the game itself. Berman is dead to me.

EDIT: "Waaaay back, he looks up, and YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOAAAARRRRDDD,,,YES!! Number 500 for Skobabe8, and its 3 to nothing Sox!":supernana:

depy48
04-09-2005, 08:47 PM
i like how espn.com has had a cubs front story for the past three days...