PDA

View Full Version : Garland to miss a start???

DumpJerry
04-09-2005, 12:49 AM
ESPN.com in their story about tonight's Sox victory said that Jon Garland went back to the hotel early with the flu. They said Buerhle will start Sat night's game if Garland is sick.

Get some juice and crackers to the Garland Suite!

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 12:52 AM
Garland is sick. My ***. THis is just a good excuse to get Buehrle and Garcia in to sweep the Twinks. :supernana:

Whitesox029
04-09-2005, 12:55 AM
Garland is sick. My ***. THis is just a good excuse to get Buehrle and Garcia in to sweep the Twinks. :supernana:
I don't want Garcia going on 3 days' rest. I don't know what they're gonna do, but that shouldn't be the solution.

Rocklive99
04-09-2005, 12:56 AM
Well the day off tuesdsy means they could skip the #5 starter if they wanted, like we used to when we didn't have a #5

EDIT: I guess not skip, was only thinking of Buehrle, but they could move it to Sunday

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 01:01 AM
I don't want Garcia going on 3 days' rest. I don't know what they're gonna do, but that shouldn't be the solution.
He only went 6 innings though. If he went 7, then I'd agree. The Twins are pitching Radke tomorrow and I want Buehrle against him, not Garland.

DumpJerry
04-09-2005, 01:01 AM
McCarthy for one game?
Hermanson is a spot starter, he might rested up enought for Sunday with his two innings tonight.

Or Garland might be healthy enough by Sunday. It's a national game (ESPN)

Rocklive99
04-09-2005, 01:08 AM
He only went 6 innings though. If he went 7, then I'd agree. The Twins are pitching Radke tomorrow and I want Buehrle against him, not Garland.

But then you'd probably end up getting Garland vs Santana on Sunday night. If Jon feels better by then, I don't think he'd pitch Garcia on 3 days rest

CubsfansareDRUNK
04-09-2005, 01:10 AM
Oh no. Not garland...please anyone but garland tomorrow..
*flashback*

OHH GOD GET OUT OF MY HEAD YOU NIGHTMARE

i just hope santo=dorf doesnt have to reincarnate his old sig...

DickAllen72
04-09-2005, 01:12 AM
But then you'd probably end up getting Garland vs Santana on Sunday night. If Jon feels better by then, I don't think he'd pitch Garcia on 3 days rest

Garland did beat Santana last year.

Whitesox029
04-09-2005, 01:20 AM
I thought that was Loaiza...or did we beat him twice?

mealfred13
04-09-2005, 01:26 AM
I thought I remembered Garland losing to Santana, but giving up only 1 or 2 runs in 8 innings of work. I might be confusing that with a game against the Cubs though.

Irishsox1
04-09-2005, 01:30 AM
Garland reminds me of Nuke from Bull Durham...."Don't think meat...it hurts the team." The guy has talent, but no brain.

Frank the Tank
04-09-2005, 01:42 AM
Let's give Garland some credit. I feel very good having him as our fifth starter.

munchman33
04-09-2005, 01:43 AM
I thought I remembered Garland losing to Santana, but giving up only 1 or 2 runs in 8 innings of work. I might be confusing that with a game against the Cubs though.

You are incorrect. Garland beat Santana 1-0. I think he threw a complete game shutout as well.

jabrch
04-09-2005, 01:53 AM
I am looking forward to seeing Garland2005. The Cubans looked great when all the chest-thumping negative pudwhackers were saying that they were too old, no good, etc. Why can't Garland be effective also?

DickAllen72
04-09-2005, 01:53 AM
You are incorrect. Garland beat Santana 1-0. I think he threw a complete game shutout as well.

Yep.

Iwritecode
04-09-2005, 02:14 AM

It wasn't so much Garland beating him as the offense pounding the crap out of him.

TBGR (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=2528)

Shorty1983
04-09-2005, 02:32 AM
Give this man some thera-flu we can't have guys skipping days in our rotation. Radke is geting off to a slow start, he's ERA 5.14 in his last start with 2 dingers. I'd feel more comfortable having Buehrle pitch against Santana than Garland.

It's Garland time to show us what he's bring to the table, and it better not be the same junk from last year.

SouthSideHitman
04-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Yeah, I wanna see Garland go tomorrow. He needs to be at least be effective, if not great this year so we can have some consistency at the backend. Plus I like him better against Radke and the selfish, media hog in me wants to see Buehrle beat Santana on ESPN Sunday night.

Foulke You
04-09-2005, 02:53 AM
If Garland is not healthy, I do NOT want him out there! Need I remind my fellow Sox fans the last time we started a pitcher in the Metrodome with the flu? Anyone remember the infamous Loaiza flu start in 2003? It was the beginning of the end to our season. Sorry to bring up bad memories but give me a healthy pitcher over one with the flu.

BridgePortNative
04-09-2005, 03:06 AM
If Garland is not healthy, I do NOT want him out there! Need I remind my fellow Sox fans the last time we started a pitcher in the Metrodome with the flu? Anyone remember the infamous Loaiza flu start in 2003? It was the beginning of the end to our season. Sorry to bring up bad memories but give me a healthy pitcher over one with the flu.

:cower: :cower:

DumpJerry
04-09-2005, 09:37 AM
If he does have the Flu and starts and then blows chunks while on the mound, will it make the ESPN Top Ten? Seriously, I don't think it would benefit the team to start him if he is sick. He will not only probably lose the game, but could extend his illness due to lack of rest and thereby causing the starters to be a bit more tired for the series next week in Cleveland.

GET WELL SOON JON!

harwar
04-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Yea,its hard enough to get the job done while healthy.
Some guys can really tough it out even though they are sick.I don't think Jon is one of those guys.
Its really a shame though because Mark(although quite about it) really loves the high-pressure big game spotlight.

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 10:15 AM
I remember the game, Garland won a 2-1 game vs. Santana on July 1st I believe. It was the day before the 2nd series vs. the Cubs. Our 2 runs came off of a 2 run shot by caballo in the first. THeir runs came in the first off of a solo shot. Lew FOrd hit it I think.

Garland went 7 and was in several jams, but he pitched out of them thanks to Crede's Defense. Marte pitched in the 8th and Shingo in the 9th.

FightingBillini
04-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I remember the game, Garland won a 2-1 game vs. Santana on July 1st I believe. It was the day before the 2nd series vs. the Cubs. Our 2 runs came off of a 2 run shot by caballo in the first. THeir runs came in the first off of a solo shot. Lew FOrd hit it I think.

Garland went 7 and was in several jams, but he pitched out of them thanks to Crede's Defense. Marte pitched in the 8th and Shingo in the 9th.
No, Garland pitched 8 and Marte saved it. I remember it vividly. We were watching it at the office, it was a day game. Marte struck out Mauer to end it, I believe.

The Racehorse
04-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Hermanson is a spot starter, he might rested up enought for Sunday with his two innings tonight.

I would say yes, BUT...

Ozzie burned up the BP in that last game with the Tribe. If he hadn't, my guess is Ozzie would have saved Hermy for a possible spot-start tonight, with a full BP
as back-up, because he knew Garland was sick. Instead, Ozzie probably felt compelled to go ahead and use Hermy for 2 innings [last night]. If Ozzie had a full BP ready last night, he could have used someone besides Hermy to spell El Duque, and saved Hermy for tonight.

Disclaimer: I have NO inside knowledge of Ozzie's thought process... if there is one. :cool:

delben91
04-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Well, I say if there's any doubt, start Mark and push Jon to Sunday night. If Garland still isn't right Sunday...well...maybe if Hermanson can do it we could try to milk 4 innings out of Cotts? *cringe*

Jjav829
04-09-2005, 11:31 AM
McCarthy was scheduled to start for the Knights last night, but Stewart started instead. No chance they start the clock ticking on him for one start, right? Then again, if they believe B-Mac will pitch for this team at some point this year anyways, maybe they would.

balke
04-09-2005, 11:43 AM
If B-Mac is fresh, I'd much rather see him than a sick Garland, or a short rest Buerhle. I know Buerhle could do it probably easily, but I want him for Santana, and I wouldn't want Garcia's rest messed with.

BRDSR
04-09-2005, 12:17 PM
If B-Mac is fresh, I'd much rather see him than a sick Garland, or a short rest Buerhle. I know Buerhle could do it probably easily, but I want him for Santana, and I wouldn't want Garcia's rest messed with.

It wouldn't be short rest for Buerhle. Since the off day Tuesday, he would be going on a normal amount of rest which is arguably better than extended rest. But that would definitely screw up Garcia which wouldn't be ideal.

California Sox
04-09-2005, 12:44 PM
I'd start Buerhle tonight against the twinks, and fly Bmac to the Twin Cities. Then, if the extra day of rest has Garland feeling strong, start him Sunday. If not activate Bmac and have him pitch Sunday. Remember Garland has not appeared in a game yet. You could even DL him, retroactivate to the last time he pitched in spring and he'd be back in a week.

SOXSINCE'70
04-09-2005, 12:49 PM

Correction:Garland beat Santana 2-1 with Marte recording the save.
2 run HR by C Lee in the 1st inning was the difference.:cool: :cool:

Nard
04-09-2005, 12:54 PM
BMac today, Buerhle tomorrow. This squad can't continue to fly under the radar much longer; might as well break into the mix with a phenomonal Buerhle performance on Sunday night national TV.

JB98
04-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Correction:Garland beat Santana 2-1 with Marte recording the save.
2 run HR by C Lee in the 1st inning was the difference.:cool: :cool:

I'm trying to remember if Garland beat Santana twice last year. I recall the 2-1 game that has been discussed in this thread, but we also thumped Santana 17-7 in a game up there. Jon pitched that one as well, but he wasn't very effective and I can't remember if he hung around long enough to earn the win.

Anyone who wants to use Garcia on three days rest is on crack. You don't pull that stuff in April, especially since Freddy had arm trouble late in the year last season. It's more important that Freddy make 30-plus starts over the long haul this year than it is for us to win this one series.

Let's hope Garland is prepared to pitch. That's the best thing for all involved.

DumpJerry
04-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I really don't think flying BMac up here for a possible start is a good idea. First of all, I have visions of that September '03 start for Cotts in Yankee Stadium which messed him up. The Twinks will come out shooting both games this weekend after what we did to them last night.

Second reason why it's a bad idea is the numerous Fifth starters we brought up last year who pitched as well as my 4 year old nephew. They were brought up on the day of the game they were pitching in, had not time to adjust mentally and sent to the mound being told to pitch like Randy Johnson. When we call up BMac, it needs to be with a few days of planning so he can get acclimated and it is against a AA team like the Royals so his confidence is not shaken by a playoff caliber team.

I would have Hangar pitch in Garland's place. Torii would not survive.:D:

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Whitesox.com still has Garland pitching today.

shoota
04-09-2005, 02:38 PM
McCarthy was scheduled to start for the Knights last night, but Stewart started instead. No chance they start the clock ticking on him for one start, right? Then again, if they believe B-Mac will pitch for this team at some point this year anyways, maybe they would.

Good thinking about BMac's service time. It'd be one thing to bring him up because we need him to fill the 5th spot for the entire season, but to start the clock because our 5th starter misses one start...

Josh Stewart, there's a guy who sunk faster than LaTroy Hawkins in a one-run game. Poor kid, ever since he took that liner he hasn't been the same. We definately could have used him in the 5th spot last season.

The Wimperoo
04-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Josh Stewart, there's a guy who sunk faster than LaTroy Hawkins in a one-run game. Poor kid, ever since he took that liner he hasn't been the same. We definately could have used him in the 5th spot last season.

We did didn't we? I thought he pitched a couple games, and sucked.

DaleJRFan
04-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Let's give Garland some credit. I feel very good having him as our fifth starter.

I agree. Give the guy his due... He's really young and has a lot of expectations to fulfill, mostly created by us. He's better than 70% of the starters in the AL. C'mon, Frank Chen is starting for Baltimore today... YIKES!

kevingrt
04-09-2005, 02:51 PM
Whitesox.com still has Garland pitching today.

I still got my money on Garland starting tonight.

Ol' No. 2
04-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Good thinking about BMac's service time. It'd be one thing to bring him up because we need him to fill the 5th spot for the entire season, but to start the clock because our 5th starter misses one start...

Josh Stewart, there's a guy who sunk faster than LaTroy Hawkins in a one-run game. Poor kid, ever since he took that liner he hasn't been the same. We definately could have used him in the 5th spot last season.Also, who would you send down to make room? About the only one with options left that you'd consider would be Harris, and he has only one left. That option increases his trade value. Would you want to use it for one start for McCarthy? If Garland can't go, start Buehrle. If Garland can't go on Sunday, make a decision then.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Two scenarios to consider:

Garland v. Radke Saturday = close game, probably Twins win.
Beuhrle v. Santana Sunday = close game, maybe Sox win.

OR

Beuhrle v. Radke Saturday = almost certain Sox win
Garland v. Santana Sunday = almost certain Twins win (despite last year's results)

Discuss.

jabrch
04-09-2005, 05:17 PM
Two scenarios to consider:

Garland v. Radke Saturday = close game, probably Twins win.
Beuhrle v. Santana Sunday = close game, maybe Sox win.

OR

Beuhrle v. Radke Saturday = almost certain Sox win
Garland v. Santana Sunday = almost certain Twins win (despite last year's results)

Discuss.

While the odds are that your assessment on the odds of winning are right - the reality is that even with JG going vs Santana, we have a chance of winning. And even if Buehrle goes against Radke we could lose. I dont think that kind of logic goes through Guillen's head.

If Garland is ok to go, he goes. If not, he sits until tomorrow to see if he is ready. Rather than bring up B-Mac, if it is just for a start, we could throw Hermansen out there and plan to throw Cotts for multiple innings. Herm has starting experience and Cotts can carry the back end of that start if needed. No reason to start the clock on B-Mac just for one day. Given the high quality outings we got from both El Duque AND Contreras we might see B-Mac working in the minors all season. Maybe we make a trade deadline deal to send one of the Cubans elsewhere if we can really improve the team, or get a high end prospect and then bring up B-Mac - who knows?

In an ideal world, the team we have would be good enough to make waves and leave B-Mac to work in the minors for one more season.

ChiSoxRowand
04-09-2005, 05:20 PM
We did didn't we? I thought he pitched a couple games, and sucked.

We did and he was horrible. He started 2 games and was 0-1 with a 15.26 ERA. I think the first game he started was a Saturday against Boston in late August. He got completely shelled that game and Boston ended up sweeping us.

SomebodyToldMe
04-09-2005, 05:22 PM
We did and he was horrible. He started 2 games and was 0-1 with a 15.26 ERA. I think the first game he started was a Saturday against Boston in late August. He got completely shelled that game and Boston ended up sweeping us.

Sigh...I was at that game. Worst game I've ever been to.

jabrch
04-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Sigh...I was at that game. Worst game I've ever been to.

I would agree - except I was at the Paniagua Affair. That is, bar none, the worst regular season game I ever went to. Game 3 and Game 4 in 1983 were the worst...

soxfanreggie
04-09-2005, 06:02 PM
I would have to agree with Jabrch. If Garland feels he can go tonight, pitch him. If not, throw Buerhle and see how Garland is tomorrow. I would think Garland will be itching to play and try to finally realize the potential he has. If not, Hermanson/Cotts combo could be very useful. However, we'd need about 4-5 innings from one and 3-4 from the other. That way, we aren't going to the bullpen a lot that game.

kevingrt
04-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Any news on Garland as of late? ESPN Radio or The Score? Anything?:?:

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 06:11 PM
CSN reports Sox are 99.9% sure Garland will go tonight, but Buehrle was prepared just in case. We should win this matchup. I'm not saying Garland will be stellar, but I am saying Radke got rocked his last start by the Mariners, who aren't that great. I mean Reed, Olivo, and Valdez have all been awful (and all were traded away by KW). We got to Lohse last night and he usually owns us.

Mohoney
04-09-2005, 07:12 PM
I would give Garland the extra day, just to hydrate him and make sure he's in the best possible condition to pitch. Buehrle's on 4 days rest, so he's ready to go, and I think he would win tonight if he got the start. He's been very good against Minnesota in his career.

If Garland throws the same heavy sinker he was throwing against the Brewers last Saturday, he will keep us in the game against Santana, and maybe an extra day of rest can put him in the best possible position to do this. Plus, we would already have 2 wins in the bag in this 3 game set if Buehrle wins tonight, and most of the pressure would be on Santana.