PDA

View Full Version : Throwing back homerun balls at the concrete dome

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Yeah, they're doing it in Minneapolis now. I don't know if they showed it on WCIU, but when Paulie homered, the kid who caught it didn't want to throw it back. Everyone around him was booing him and gesturing for him to throw it back. He tried just sitting there ignoring them, but they kept it up for the next several minutes. He finally relented and threw it back, and everyone cheered.

To their credit, while the booing was going on, both Dick Bremer (Twins PBP guy) and Blyleven were against throwing the ball back. Bremer said "if I ever caught a homerun ball, you'd have to surgically remove it from my hand." Blyeleven said "most fans go their whole lives without getting a ball; why would you throw it back?"

batmanZoSo
04-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Yeah, they're doing it in Minneapolis now. I don't know if they showed it on WCIU, but when Paulie homered, the kid who caught it didn't want to throw it back. Everyone around him was booing him and gesturing for him to throw it back. He tried just sitting there ignoring them, but they kept it up for the next several minutes. He finally relented and threw it back, and everyone cheered.

To their credit, while the booing was going on, both Dick Bremer (Twins PBP guy) and Blyleven were against throwing the ball back. Bremer said "if I ever caught a homerun ball, you'd have to surgically remove it from my hand." Blyeleven said "most fans go their whole lives without getting a ball; why would you throw it back?"

I'd answer those drunks with my middle finger and stick it in my pocket.

Banix12
04-09-2005, 12:27 AM

It spreads like a virus, what can I tell you. I just wish they would keep it or at least give it to a kid, it all ends up in the hands of a little kid sitting by the foul line anyway.

Tragg
04-09-2005, 12:58 AM
Throwing the ball back is just a terrible idea on all levels. Among other things, it harms the spirit of the game.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2005, 12:59 AM
On opening day I was watching the Mets / Reds off the bird and some dope in Cincy threw back a ball.

By the way doesn't that result in an automatic ejection via security?

Lip

Irishsox1
04-09-2005, 01:28 AM
Throwing the ball back reminds me of the streaking craze that went on in the '70's and early '80's. Hopefully this fad will pass, because its really stupid.

FarWestChicago
04-09-2005, 01:31 AM
On opening day I was watching the Mets / Reds off the bird and some dope in Cincy threw back a ball.

LipIf it doesn't, it should. And I would vote for a lifetime ban.

Epark84
04-09-2005, 01:46 AM
I was at the game and I swear i felt i was at wrigley field. ALthough i do prefer the urinal to the baggie. At least you are outside

popilius
04-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Isn't it obvious that if you throw a ball back, you are not offending the team who hit it, but the pitcher who threw it?

You see, baseball is different in that the defense holds the ball, not the offense. The last person in the ball's possession is the pitcher, and therefore throwing the ball back is an self-evident symbol of your disgust and unwillingness to own a ball that was thrown by that particular pitcher. Thus, you make a mockery of your own home team! Simple philosophical logic even obvious to the most simple of simpletons.

:gulp:

ChiSoxRowand
04-09-2005, 02:16 AM
I liked in the ALCS last year when someone threw a ball back from Landsdowne st. at Fenway and Johnny Damon threw it back on to landsdowne st.

The Racehorse
04-09-2005, 02:45 AM

I'm surprised that Selig hasn't issued some kind of edict [to all teams] saying in effect that the home team must provide some level of security in these situations to prevent mob-like mentalities from running amok in what should be a positive experience for the fan... even an usher coming down to support this kid may have quieted the drunks and left the kid alone.

Not to mention what Lip already said about MLB policy(?) about throwing things onto the field.

Foulke You
04-09-2005, 02:57 AM
I'm surprised that Selig hasn't issued some kind of edict [to all teams] saying in effect that the home team must provide some level of security in these situations to prevent mob-like mentalities from running amok in what should be a positive experience for the fan... even an usher coming down to support this kid may have quieted the drunks and left the kid alone.

Not to mention what Lip already said about MLB policy(?) about throwing things onto the field.

I think the logic here is that the "tradition" of throwing homers back started at Wrigley Field. And we all know, only wholesome, fun, and harmless things come from the hallowed grounds of Wrigley Field. Therefore, no action is necessary because people emulating the fans at Wrigley are a GOOD thing for baseball.

Jerko
04-09-2005, 03:19 AM
To WCIU's credit, they didn't show the balls being thrown back. You can tell by the "fan" reaction that it happened, but the announcers never mentioned it and the cameramen never showed it. Funny how an inning later, the game got delayed by a paper airplane on the field though?!?!?! I agree with what was posted above: there should be a LEAGUE WIDE RULE. ANYBODY throwing ANYTHING on the field gets booted from the game and has their season tickets revoked. That will stop this ****.

Jerko
04-09-2005, 03:24 AM
I think the logic here is that the "tradition" of throwing homers back started at Wrigley Field. And we all know, only wholesome, fun, and harmless things come from the hallowed grounds of Wrigley Field. Therefore, no action is necessary because people emulating the fans at Wrigley are a GOOD thing for baseball.

FY, you speak the truth. Great use of teal there, but the sad thing is, in the real world, that would not be in teal, hence, this reaction:

:chunks

TDog
04-09-2005, 04:24 AM
... and Blyleven were against throwing the ball back. Bremer ... Blyeleven said "most fans go their whole lives without getting a ball; why would you throw it back?"

Considering the number of home runs that were hit off of him at the end of his career, I might have found that funny if I had heard it.

People have been, on occasion at least, throwing home runs back for some years now. A couple of years ago on this board I lamented the trend as the "Wriglification of America." If by choice you regularly spend hours at a time in an outhouse, a cramped place that smells of human waste, you just might be a Cubs season ticket holder.

Kids watch this stuff on TV, announcers talk about how adorable it is and it becomes expected. Some years ago, when I had television, I saw a kid grab a foul ball in a game in Minnesota. His mother freaked out when he threw it back on the field.

tadscout
04-09-2005, 08:33 AM

Lip

I live near Indy and and gosh, those dang Reds fans are just as bad / stoopid (yes I ment to spell it that way, b/c they're that clueless) / and stuck up...

Realist
04-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Sheesh. As if I didn't already hate the Twins enough. Now they gotta start trying to emulate those brain dead north side embarrassments to the great city of Chicago.

[If I ever see a Sox fan throw back an opposing team's home run ball, I vow to personally slap that fan across his face and let him live the rest of his life with the echo of the laughter that surely will ensue from my bold yet warrented gesture.]

Sox fans do not throw back opposing team's home run balls. Either keep 'em or give 'em to a little one. This maddness must be stopped dead in its tracks right now.

LongLiveFisk
04-09-2005, 09:29 AM
I agree that people who throw balls back onto the field should be ejected, and possibly even fined. Maybe that will make some of them think twice. You've heard of 15 minutes of fame? Well, these bozos are hard up for 15 seconds of fame, that's how pathetic this is.

Dan H
04-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Like Sammy's idiotic homer hop, these tradition should finally die the painful death it deserves. It should especially when it comes to kids. If the some kid wants to keep the ball, the drunken adults with Cubitis should leave him/her alone. I got a foul ball at a minor league game and my daughter was thrilled with it. No way if that was opposition home run at US Cellular would I throw it back. It is time that tradition be exposed for the farce that it is. The Cubs and everything that is connected with them stinks.

OG4LIFE
04-09-2005, 10:30 AM
its funny, a few years ago when i lived in chicago and had season tix in magglio's backyard, every time an opposing player hit a bomb in our section, it always seemed to be split 50/50 people saying throw it back and the other 50 (although a lot more vehemently) screaming not to throw it back... dumbasses even threw it back a few times.

lets not pretend this unfortunate event has not happened at US Cellular, we have our share of morons too.

Procol Harum
04-09-2005, 10:36 AM
The home run toss-back is a Cubbish plague--hooray for Sox pr for taking tips from WSI that have resulted in the media spot against the practice. Such is the depth of this problem, however, that I am sure it will continue to be a struggle even at the Cell to stop this idiocy.

voodoochile
04-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Have to feel sorry for the kid who caught it. Man, a once in a lifetime opportunity and the other fans hassle you until you have to give up your souveneir. Where were the parents or chaperone to defend the kid and tell him to keep the ball and then tell the other fans to back off? That totally sucks.

I also agree that MLB should get involved. I mean if homeruns are all that matters, right? Why would they allow us to dishonor the amazing feat that saved baseball?

PaleHoseGeorge
04-09-2005, 10:45 AM
The worst part is these bozos are throwing back *real* home run balls. Those dopes in the bleachers at the Urinal back in the day were pulling a charade on all their fellow dopes rooting for the Flubs. Those were fake home run balls they tossed back, extra balls they brought to the ballpark for autographs or to keep themselves amused up their colon while endlessly waiting for the Cubs bullpen to finally end the top of the eighth inning.

THE TRADITION IS BOGUS!!! Only an idiot on a bus from Des Moines wouldn't know what the **** is going on. And the Cubune perpetrates the lies with their idiotic coverage!
:mad:

So now dopes from coast to coast are throwing back *real* home run balls and dillweeds like MediaTroll Murph just play along. These "fans" should be immediately removed from the ballpark. They're too stupid to enjoy the game.

FightingBillini
04-09-2005, 10:50 AM
Have to feel sorry for the kid who caught it. Man, a once in a lifetime opportunity and the other fans hassle you until you have to give up your souveneir. Where were the parents or chaperone to defend the kid and tell him to keep the ball and then tell the other fans to back off? That totally sucks.

I also agree that MLB should get involved. I mean if homeruns are all that matters, right? Why would they allow us to dishonor the amazing feat that saved baseball?
Actually, I feel more sorry for the kid becaus he had to spend his childhood watching baseaball in a dimly lit plastic bubble. For me, the first time I went to New Comiskey turned me into a big baseball fan. There is just nothing like it. I went to opening day, and it is just an amazing feeling to be outside in the SUN and enjoying baseball. There is absolutely NO place I would rather be. I pity those who dont know that experience.
I honestly don't think I could be a Twins fan if I grew up in Minnesota. I realize that I wouldn't know better, but how could anybody go to the Hump Dome and act like THAT is baseball? It doesnt feel like baseball whatsoever. It is a traveshamockery that those horrible dome stadiums were built, but that age has passed. Its time for Pohlad (who makes Reinsdorf look like Arte Moreno) to put up the money and built a new park for the Twins. The team and the city deserves it. That way, the pristene game of baseball wouldn't have to be delayed for college football.:angry:

soxwon
04-09-2005, 03:29 PM

ive been to over 700 ball games, not one single homer or foul i caught.
if i did catch one its MINE, id never throw it back.
except if it was a sosa cub homer.

Baby Fisk
04-09-2005, 05:47 PM

Wow, just wow. Losers all round. The Sox should continue to lead the anti-tossing campaign. They've got the radio ad encouraging fans who catch home run balls to give them to the nearest kid. THAT should become a south side tradition. If you catch an opponent's HR ball, seek out a little kid who wants it and give it to them.

Erik The Red
04-09-2005, 06:52 PM
These "fans" should be immediately removed from the ballpark. They're too stupid to enjoy the game.
I dunno... you know what they say... "ignorance is bliss". Perhaps their stupidity HELPS them enjoy the game. :D:

spongyfungy
04-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Throwing the ball back is an important tradition at wrigley. How else will they find their rookie of the year and win the world series?

Throwing the ball back is one of the most spineless things to do as a fan. It tells me that you a) are stupid, b) give in easily to peer pressure c) have a heart screams "like me!" It may feel great for a second when the attention diverted crowd cheers for the act, but I'm certain the ball-less fan would be hit a vacuous, empty feeling.

I agree with Danny Mac : give it to a kid who's sitting next to you if you don't want the ball. How can anyone boo that?

Erik The Red
04-09-2005, 06:59 PM
Throwing the ball back is an important tradition at wrigley. How else will they find their rookie of the year and win the world series?
:rolling:

santo=dorf
04-09-2005, 09:21 PM
They just did it again with Konerko's homer. :?:

mealfred13
04-09-2005, 09:40 PM
They just did it again with Konerko's homer. :?:

Yep, saw that....freaking ridiculous.

Gosox1917
04-09-2005, 09:56 PM
I saw that too. I was watching it with a Twins fan and she thought it was cute. I told her Cubs fans do that and us Sox fans think they are idiots. She didn't say much after that.

Nellie_Fox
04-10-2005, 02:22 AM
It shouldn't matter, but after reading all the responses, I need to clarify my original post. I said that a "kid" caught the homer. The "kid" was probably in his twenties. Remember, I'm old. It's reflexive for me to refer to anyone the age of my own children or younger as "kids."

However, that doesn't change the fact that this scourge needs to be driven out of baseball. No fan should feel the need to throw away a souvenir just to satisfy the people around them.

jake27
04-10-2005, 03:59 AM
during the 2003 season i was sitting by the sox bullpen and when billy koch got done warming up, he tossedme the ball he used to warm up with. after thta i heard some people yelling for me to throw that ball back. whats up with that?? it wasnt a home run ball, just a ball used by a white sox player to warm up. throwing the ball back is up there with the wave for no no's at the ballpark

mealfred13
04-10-2005, 05:31 AM
during the 2003 season i was sitting by the sox bullpen and when billy koch got done warming up, he tossedme the ball he used to warm up with. after thta i heard some people yelling for me to throw that ball back. whats up with that?? it wasnt a home run ball, just a ball used by a white sox player to warm up. throwing the ball back is up there with the wave for no no's at the ballpark

I hope you made that up, or you were at Wrigley when that happened. I can't imagine anyone doing that at Comiskey unless it was a Cubs-Sox game or something. Barring that, maybe they were Sox fans who were just saying "throw it back" sarcastically as a joke.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-10-2005, 10:25 AM
However, that doesn't change the fact that this scourge needs to be driven out of baseball. No fan should feel the need to throw away a souvenir just to satisfy the people around them.

EXACTLY. Here's a true story from a few years ago that explains my complete contempt for WGN and the Cubune for creating this situation.

While enjoying one of my guilty pleasures, watching on WGN the Flubs lose at the Urinal back in the early-90's, an opponent's home run ball landed amongst the idiots in the half-filled left field bleachers. This late-inning dinger turns an already pathetic Flubs loss into an absolute blowout and Harry and Steve go into their usual routine, whining about how difficult it is to play baseball competently once a ballplayer becomes a Cub. Too funny...
:roflmao:

So there's a pitching change and the SuperB.S.station comes back from the commercial break and Harry and Steve are all gleeful. During the break one of 'GN's cameramen captured an exchange between the geeky teenager who caught the home run ball and some would-be wise guy (wearing a Lovable Losers cap, of course) with an extra ball to trade him.

Harry and Steve are practically peeing their pants describing the exchange as it's replayed on videotape. The wise guy has a ball in his hand and he is clearly offering an exchange to this geek with the home run ball. Except the geek keeps shaking his head side-to-side, turns towards the field and throws the ball into the outfield as far as his pathetic puss-arm will permit. The Lovable Loser wise-guy just stands there and can't believe what just happened. He drops his arms and head as if to say, "What an idiot!"
:roflmao:

And here's the Drunk and Stoner going on and on about the "true Cubs fans" and how great it all is. Un-****ing-believable...

WGN earns 100 percent of the blame for this nationwide mess. Not only do they turn a blind eye to what is really going on, they actively help propagate it. It's just one more piece to the bull**** myth they've created for the morons back in Des Moines about "beeeeeeaut-iful Wrigley Field."

A "shrine" to losing baseball. Nothing more.

:gulp:

Fredsox
04-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Another story, this one on the positive side.

When we were at spring training a few weeks ago my wife and I scored some good seats at TEP, second row down the 3rd base line. The Sox were playing the Rockies, fun game and all that. The Rockies left fielder, Klesko I think, caught a fly ball to end an inning, and as we watched him come in you could tell his eyes were focused on this 7-8 year old kid sitting in front of us. When he got close enough he tossed the kid the ball and smiled at him.

This little kid just stared at that ball for hours with this huge grin on his face. The family was from Chicago so they were probably Sox fans, but who cares? This kid has a memory now thanks to a player who took a second to care about him.

Now, it the context of our current discussion, should the kid throw the ball back onto the field because it came from "the other team"? Fans who encourage that behavior just don't get baseball.

DumpJerry
04-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Two things:

1)When I lived in the Twin Cities, Twins fans reminded me a lot of Flub fans. A big bunch of goofs who were blind to their team's faults.

2)IIRC, wasn't someone ejected from Comiskey last year for throwing a ball back and it landed near Willie Harris (nice arm!)? I believe the Sox management said it is against the rules to throw objects on the field, so the good had to go. Isn't it MLB policy to eject people who throw objects on the field? After all, with all the players having their backs turned to the thrower (the players are facing Home getting ready for the batter). they cannot see if a ball is headed to their head ready to turn them into the next Terri Shiavo...........

Bud Selig needs to look into this!

SOXSINCE'70
04-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Give the baseball to a kid,for cryin' out loud!!:angry: :angry:

If I had my way,anyone throwing a home run ball back
on the field would be ejected,banned from the park the entire
season and arrested.It'll never happen.

Baby Fisk
04-10-2005, 03:07 PM
A jackass in Atlanta threw a ball back after Cliff Floyd of the Mets hit one out on Sunday afternoon. The Sox should really grab this and become the anti-tossing team. Another pioneering Sox tradition!

Shammy Hater
04-10-2005, 03:10 PM
A jackass in Atlanta threw a ball back after Cliff Floyd of the Mets hit one out on Sunday afternoon. The Sox should really grab this and become the anti-tossing team. Another pioneering Sox tradition!

i was just going to mention that. the greatest part was watching the kid start celebrating when his dad threw it back. cub-loserdom is a disease!

jake27
04-10-2005, 06:44 PM
I hope you made that up, or you were at Wrigley when that happened. I can't imagine anyone doing that at Comiskey unless it was a Cubs-Sox game or something. Barring that, maybe they were Sox fans who were just saying "throw it back" sarcastically as a joke.

no i was at the cell :(: i dont know if they ment it as a joke or not. as i recall koch wen in and gave up a homer or 2 then went out. i kept the ball, im not gonan throw it back :rolleyes:

Benjo
04-11-2005, 06:19 PM
God, I hate Twins fans so much.

swanson24
04-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Twins fans are a step up form cheeseheads aka "packer backers / Favre Worshipers" but a step below Indians Fans.

jerry myers
04-11-2005, 08:02 PM
the dome i hate domes and throwing the ball back is silly but whatever.

C-Dawg
04-11-2005, 09:52 PM
I agree with Danny Mac : give it to a kid who's sitting next to you if you don't want the ball. How can anyone boo that?

A week or two ago someone here posted a link to the Cubs forum where they were making fun of us for our "Give it to a kid" idea. I still find it appalling that there are adults out there who think it would be preferable to throw an unwanted ball onto the field rather than give it to a kid. When I was a kid, I would have been thrilled to get an actual ball at a game, regardless which team hit it.

jordan23ventura
04-12-2005, 05:46 AM

Until something crazy happens, like a fan throws a ball back and purposely hits an opposing player, and then a riot ensues and the media blames MLB, Selig will do nothing. See: Steriods scandal.

The Racehorse
04-12-2005, 06:39 AM
Until something crazy happens, like a fan throws a ball back and purposely hits an opposing player, and then a riot ensues

Like a cup of ice that hits a player in the face while they're laying on top of the dugout?. :wink:

wdelaney72
04-12-2005, 10:09 AM
I know I'm alone on this, but I think it's a funny tradition. BUT, I agree it's really stupid to do at other ballparks.

Sox-on-TV44
04-12-2005, 10:21 AM
its funny, a few years ago when i lived in chicago and had season tix in magglio's backyard, every time an opposing player hit a bomb in our section, it always seemed to be split 50/50 people saying throw it back and the other 50 (although a lot more vehemently) screaming not to throw it back... dumbasses even threw it back a few times.

lets not pretend this unfortunate event has not happened at US Cellular, we have our share of morons too.
Yeah,I hate that crap too.I still remember in 1991 when New Comiskey opened,and Detroit was playing against the Sox.When Cecil Fielder hit one into the left field stands,part of the fans were yelling,"Throw it back,throw it back!!".But thankfully,some Sox fans were saying,"Keep it,keep it.Throw the Cub fan back!"

This is discusting,throwing home runs balls back.Since the Cubs started this mockery,I wonder sometimes,when the Cubs hit a homerun on the road (i.e. Milwaukee,St. Louis,Houston,San Diego,etc.),do those fans throw their home run balls back?I hope so.

Damn,if the idiots at Minnesota were gonna throw the home run ball back,could have their "Toss back" throw hit Shannon Stewart?

mjharrison72
04-12-2005, 10:25 AM
This is hilarious if you know what "tossing" means to an Englishman.:redface:
And either way, I totally agree.

Nellie_Fox
04-12-2005, 11:51 AM
On last night's Baseball Tonight, I saw a Rangers fan throw a ball back. This is spreading like bird flu.

Church Turtle
04-12-2005, 12:15 PM
Throwing the ball back reminds me of the streaking craze that went on in the '70's and early '80's. Hopefully this fad will pass, because its really stupid.

You mean that craze is over?!?!?!? {as I look for my pants...}:D:

CorkNKerrys
04-12-2005, 04:12 PM
What's the problem with Twinkie fans emulating Cub fans? If they want to throw it back, let them be idiots.

I can see how throwing a ball back may be a rejection of the pitcher, since he was the last to actually possess the ball. Baseball is the only sport where the defense has the ball (Thanks for that observation, Ken Burns) but to me a thrown back homerun has always seemed to mean the fans don't acknowledge the run. In other words, they don't care about the score. They just want beer and hotdogs. Like Cub fans.

santo=dorf
04-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Baseball tonight just showed a Twins "fan" throwing back a Craig Monroe home run. What is wrong with these morons?

FightingBillini
04-12-2005, 11:14 PM
Baseball tonight just showed a Twins "fan" throwing back a Craig Monroe home run. What is wrong with these morons?

This is a disgusting growing epidemic. I have seen at least 10 morons on Baseball Tonight in the last week throwing back homerun balls. At least 4 of them were in Texas.

We need to write the MLB and urge them to come up with a policy to outlaw this immediately.