WTG El Duque

Soxzilla
04-08-2005, 11:27 PM
That was just... umm...

GOOD DANG BASEBALL!

oeo
04-08-2005, 11:28 PM
WOOHOO!

I love El Duque, I love this staff, I love this team!

:bandance::supernana::bandance:

:winner

gobears1987
I loved Hawk and DJ arguing that PK should change his swing with Lohse. THen PK hit a HR after both said he should change his swing. It was funny.

voodoochile
Hermanson was clearly pumped and out to prove something. The whole attitude this season seems more focused. Last year that loss on Thursday would have caused a spiral.

Great start to a big early season series.

Stroker Ace
04-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Good game! Although I was watching it on the MLB.com gamecast.

itsnotrequired
04-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Very good game. A little long ball, a little small ball and a lot of Sox glory. Let the horns blow.

wulfy
04-08-2005, 11:30 PM
After the butchery we've seen at SS the last few years, Uribe's late inning pick and throw was a sight for sore eyes.

JB98
04-08-2005, 11:31 PM
The most encouraging thing so far is we've had four pretty good performances from our starting pitchers.

Garcia didn't throw the ball great in his start, but he kept us in the game. Buerhle, Contreras and Hernandez all opened with excellent outings.

Iguana775
i wonder what the starting pitching ERA is. the bullpen must suck but the starters have to be around 2 or 3.

Shorty1983
That was just... umm...

GOOD DANG BASEBALL!

Dang good job for the southsiders!

BTW Get well soon Deng!

whitesoxfan1986
04-08-2005, 11:32 PM
YESSS! Sox win! We need to beat the Twinkies a lot this year. How 'bout them fine cubans, eh?

PAPChiSox729
04-08-2005, 11:35 PM
It was great to see El Duque pitch well. I was very happy to see him shut the Twinkies down once the Sox took the lead. Hermanson did a great job to close things out. Overall, it was a great game!

Iron Dragon
04-08-2005, 11:35 PM
I was also concerned about how these Sox would rebound from yesterday's loss. This IS a different team. I'm liking what I see so far. Please God, let the starting pitching hold up. How long do you guys think it will take before the Sox start getting some positive press?

Whitesox029
04-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Nice Win!!!
:winner
:notwinks
Your turn now, Jon...I hope AJ's out there again. Ozzie hinted that Ozuna might get a start in left on sunday.

Shoeless Joe
Stat of the day: Buehrle, Garcia, Contreras, and Hernandez have only given up four runs in 27 IP for a 1.33 ERA! Now that's what I call good starting pitching!

Hermanson is already starting to pay off. This guy is going to be an absolute stud for us in the bullpen. I doubt Shingo will lose his closer role but Hermanson does provide one heck of an insurance policy.

Great game by the offense too. Podsednik is showing his speed with 2 stolen bases today, Paulie and Aaron both going deep against Lohse, and even Willie getting a couple of hits today, great stuff!

Almost forgot about Carl! He stepped into the third spot in the lineup seamlessly. He's going to prove to be a major contributer in a Thomas-less lineup.

Shorty1983
After the butchery we've seen at SS the last few years, Uribe's late inning pick and throw was a sight for sore eyes.

That's because Uribe has a gun shot arm, unlike Valentine's wussy throw.

PicktoCLick72
04-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Could this be the first of 18 wins for el duque?

Fake Chet Lemon
04-08-2005, 11:37 PM
"Here, Torii, Torii, Torii. Welcome to my hood, beeeeeotch.", Sox starter El Duque Hernandez.

JB98
04-08-2005, 11:38 PM
That's because Uribe has a gun shot arm, unlike Valentine's wussy throw.

Bobby Valentine?

Unregistered
04-08-2005, 11:38 PM
After the butchery we've seen at SS the last few years, Uribe's late inning pick and throw was a sight for sore eyes.That really was a helluva play.

Brian26
04-08-2005, 11:39 PM
There doesn't seem to be a postgame show on AM 1000 tonight. Strange.

WSox8404
04-08-2005, 11:39 PM
I was also concerned about how these Sox would rebound from yesterday's loss. This IS a different team. I'm liking what I see so far. Please God, let the starting pitching hold up. How long do you guys think it will take before the Sox start getting some positive press?

Forever.

Frankfan4life
04-08-2005, 11:40 PM
This game was awesome. It's always good to win the first game of the series and today's game certainly made up for that awful loss yesterday. How do you say, ALL ALONE IN FIRST PLACE! WTG WHITE SOX!!!!

WSox8404

Thats cause the game was broadcast on FM 94.7 the zone. The post game show is also on that station.

TheBull19
i wonder what the starting pitching ERA is. the bullpen must suck but the starters have to be around 2 or 3.

4 ER 27 IP 1.33 ERA

FarWestChicago
04-08-2005, 11:41 PM
That's because Uribe has a gun shot arm, unlike Valentine's wussy throw.First, there was no Valentine on the Sox in recent years. Second, if you meant Manos, he had a cannon. Not necessarily accurate, but a cannon. :rolleyes:

ChiSox7
04-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Great game. Impressive all around. It was a lot of fun in the chat too! Come join us tomorrow night!

ChiSoxJay
04-08-2005, 11:43 PM
Hernandez :angry:

I was getting a little frustrated early in the game when the Sox kept letting Loshe off the hook, but Paulie and Aaron took care of business. This starting pitching staff has been lights out thus far.

Shorty1983
04-08-2005, 11:43 PM
First, there was no Valentine on the Sox in recent years. Second, if you meant Manos, he had a cannon. Not necessarily accurate, but a cannon. :rolleyes:

Valentin*

Brian26
04-08-2005, 11:44 PM
Hawk continues to be a total dick to DJ in the booth. This is just a typically classic exchange between the two that happened tonight around the 8th inning:

:hawk

"Joe Crede with no hits, but he's hit the ball *hard* every time he's been to the plate tonight."

:DJ

"Some nights are like that. I can only remember one game when I hit the ball really, really hard all four times at bat and didn't get a hit. Couldn't buy a hit to save my life. It was against the Padres in 1983. I hit the ball four times in a row super hard, and could not get on base. You ever had a game like that, Hawk?"

:hawk

"Never."

itsnotrequired
04-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Almost forgot about Carl! He stepped into the third spot in the lineup seamlessly. He's going to prove to be a major contributer in a Thomas-less lineup.

Frank has been gone so long that I often forget he is still here. Bringing him back will be like adding an extra neck to the guitar.

"You know those guitars that are, like, double guitars?" - Otto

SOX ADDICT '73
04-08-2005, 11:46 PM
First, there was no Valentine on the Sox in recent years. Second, if you meant Manos, he had a cannon. Not necessarily accurate, but a cannon. :rolleyes:
Uribe is just so quick and seamless from glove to throwing hand - you need that special "hummingbird" camera just to see it!

wsbaseball9
04-08-2005, 11:47 PM
That really was a helluva play.

too bad it he would have never got him if they werent on astroturf :(:

gobears1987
04-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Uribe is just so quick and seamless from glove to throwing hand - you need that special "hummingbird" camera just to see it!
I just played it on slomotion with my TIVO. I barely saw the move it was so quick.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-08-2005, 11:48 PM

But yet WSCR is STILL DOING Cubbie post game 7-hours later......:angry:

SOX ADDICT '73
04-08-2005, 11:48 PM
Yeah, it's important to remember that.

Unregistered
04-08-2005, 11:52 PM
too bad it he would have never got him if they werent on astroturf :(:Right. Except they're not on astroturf anymore. :cool:

TheBull19
04-08-2005, 11:53 PM
Hernandez pitching 7 and Hermanson finishing off the final 2 was huge for the sox bullpen after yesterday's debacle.

infohawk
04-08-2005, 11:54 PM

Actually, aside from Shingo's horrible performance on Thursday, the bullpen has been pretty effective. Even Shingo protected the one-run lead on Monday. The bullpen gave up one or two on Wednesday, and, before Shingo's meltdown, didn't the pen give up only one run in two innings on Thursday(charged to Cotts)? Vizcaino's runs don't really count in my mind because he didn't give them up until after he would have normally been lifted. He was made to throw far more pitches then what would typically be expected. The good news is that maybe the long outing will help him stretch his arm out a bit.

Great performance by El Duque. I thought he would do pretty well, but I didn't think he would pitch seven innings. We needed that. Vizcaino will probably still sit on Saturday, but now we know that Marte, Cotts, Pollitte and Shingo are rested. I know that Cotts and Pollitte didn't throw too many pitches, but I was concerned we would have to use them tonight leaving them iffy for tomorrow depending on how long they had to pitch.

SOX ADDICT '73
Too bad we wouldn't have won if the Twins had scored six runs.

wulfy

:?:

batmanZoSo
04-08-2005, 11:55 PM
This team is clearly unphased by yesterday's nightmare. DAS GOOD SIGN MANG!:redneck

cheeses_h_rice
I blew through the game on Tivo in about 30 minutes...pretty sweet.

VERY impressed with Sox starting pitcher so far, and relieved that guys like Dye, AJ and Crazy Carl are contributing offensively.

3-1 and we could be 4-0. Not too shabby.

:gulp:

Brian26
Hernandez pitching 7 and Hermanson finishing off the final 2 was huge for the sox bullpen after yesterday's debacle.

Both being paid with money leftover after the CLee contract was traded. Nice job, KW. That trade looks better and better.

SOXPHILE
04-08-2005, 11:56 PM
But yet WSCR is STILL DOING Cubbie post game 7-hours later......:angry:

NO !! IT CAN'T BE ! Not with that great host Murph behind the mike ! He's always pretty even in his Sox and Cubs talk. Both get equal time.

Rocklive99
04-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Yeah, the post game is also on 94.7 FM, Im guessing this was for the Bulls, but that's kind of weird they didn't just transfer over right after the Bulls

Lots of positives in this game. Of course, El Duque, that was huge, especially after everyone was scared after his spring numbers. No walks? Awesome!

Just an overall fun game to watch. It had the pitching duel early. Willie comin up with some hits, PK with the huge HR after Lohse had his way with him in the past, Pods swiping some bases, nice defense, and best of all, in front of the Opening Day crowd and the Twin legends :redneck

Brian26
04-08-2005, 11:57 PM
I blew through the game on Tivo in about 30 minutes...pretty sweet.

Doesn't that take some of the fun out of it, though?

shoota
04-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Thats cause the game was broadcast on FM 94.7 the zone. The post game show is also on that station.

I think I heard Brian Dolgin say on the postgame show that Saturday's game will also be on 94.7 The Zone.

My first reaction after hearing the Sox were bumped for the Bulls was negative, but after thinking about it, I'm glad they moved to 94.7 The Zone for a few games. It's good exposure for the Sox and some posters said they hear 94.7 much clearer than they've ever heard AM 1000.

infohawk
04-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Oh, another thing, wasn't Ozzie a genius for leaving El Duque in to pitch the seventh. And letting Hermanson pitch two innings further demonstrated Ozzie's brilliance and ability to handle a pen! :D:

cheeses_h_rice
04-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Doesn't that take some of the fun out of it, though?

I was watching a DVD with my wife earlier, and I wanted to at least skim through the game to see quickly how the game went before logging on the net tonight. Obviously I'd much rather watch the game live, but when I'm crunched for time like tonight (and I'm always super tired on Friday nights, so there's no way I'm staying up 'til 1am watching the game in real time), Tivo is perfect.

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2005, 12:04 AM
too bad it he would have never got him if they werent on astroturf :(:Yeah, and if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt when he jumped.

The new turf at the graydome is much slower than the old.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Oz did leave in Paulie in for the 9th, right? I hope so, I forgot to pay attention. Too nervous.

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2005, 12:06 AM
Oz did leave in Paulie in for the 9th, right? I hope so, I forgot to pay attention. Too nervous.Jeez, let it go. Ninth inning defensive replacements are not a bad idea. It's real easy to know what should have been done after you see how it worked out.

mealfred13
04-09-2005, 12:10 AM
Hawk continues to be a total dick to DJ in the booth. This is just a typically classic exchange between the two that happened tonight around the 8th inning:

[Hawk] "Joe Crede with no hits, but he's hit the ball *hard* every time he's been to the plate tonight."

[DJ] "Some nights are like that. I can only remember one game when I hit the ball really, really hard all four times at bat and didn't get a hit. Couldn't buy a hit to save my life. It was against the Padres in 1983. I hit the ball four times in a row super hard, and could not get on base. You ever had a game like that, Hawk?"

[Hawk] "Never."

:) I notice that ALOT lately. Either that or DJ goes on a rant about how someone's been playing or something, and leaves an open question to Hawk. Hawk then says something like "...........So...Paulie comes up to bat...he's 1 for 2...."

PicktoCLick72
04-09-2005, 12:11 AM
Is it me or is the team starting to look like they are developing a swagger?

PAPChiSox729
04-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Is it me or is the team starting to look like they are developing a swagger?

I sure hope not. There is nothing wrong with being confident. However, you shouldn't swagger until you actually win something...

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Is it me or is the team starting to look like they are developing a swagger?I certainly hope not. They swaggered plenty the last few seasons, and didn't win a thing. Stay motivated and focused. I like the look of this club. I really think the better balance between power, speed and defense is going to be fun to watch.

iftypofixit
04-09-2005, 12:17 AM
Oz did leave in Paulie in for the 9th, right? I hope so, I forgot to pay attention. Too nervous.

Remember when Gload saved a baserunner, possibly a double, on opening day. As Nellie_Fox stated, defensive replacements aren't a bad idea. It can go either way. Anyways a very good game, always nice to beat the twins. I'd like to possibly see Ozuna give Crede a break on Sunday rather than Podsednik.

Unregistered
04-09-2005, 12:21 AM
I'd like to possibly see Ozuna give Crede a break on Sunday rather than Podsednik.Why wait until then? How 'bout... starting now? :smile:

Qdaddy
04-09-2005, 12:24 AM
for me was when Pods got a infield chop hit, stole second, and then "Crazy" Carl drove him in with a clutch 2 out hit. This would of never happened last year. If we can do that atleast a quarter of the time...Man, I don't even wanna think of how much that would help us out this year. I'm getting to excited.

Was anyone else cheering for C. LEE against the Scrubs? I will miss him killing the Cubs when we play them this year.

GO SOX!!! GOOD WIN!

mealfred13
04-09-2005, 12:30 AM
for me was when Pods got a infield chop hit, stole second, and then "Crazy" Carl drove him in with a clutch 2 out hit. This would of never happened last year. If we can do that atleast a quarter of the time...Man, I don't even wanna think of how much that would help us out this year. I'm getting to excited.

Was anyone else cheering for C. LEE against the Scrubs? I will miss him killing the Cubs when we play them this year.

GO SOX!!! GOOD WIN!

Definately enjoyed that little sequence there. Just hope Pods gets on base as much as he did today.

Brian26
04-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Jeez, let it go. Ninth inning defensive replacements are not a bad idea.

Case in point: opening day when Gload dived hard to his right to spear that grounder and flip over to Shingo for the win. No way does PK reach that ball.

PicktoCLick72
04-09-2005, 12:35 AM
This should be a fun year

CHISOXFAN13
04-09-2005, 12:36 AM
Both being paid with money leftover after the CLee contract was traded. Nice job, KW. That trade looks better and better.

I love the fact that the trade is working for both teams. It will be a pleasure to deal with the Brew Crew again.

Iron Dragon
04-09-2005, 12:48 AM

Yes, he had a big smile on his face before his first at-bat while the crowd booed him. Then he smacked the first pitch he saw for a double and an RBI. I just sat back and cheered.

Unregistered
04-09-2005, 12:50 AM
I love the fact that the trade is working for both teams. It will be a pleasure to deal with the Brew Crew again. I know I liked the Jose Valentin (http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/valenjo03.shtml) and Cal Eldred for Jaime Navarro (http://www.baseball-reference.com/n/navarja01.shtml) and John Snyder (http://www.baseball-reference.com/s/snydejo02.shtml) trade...

Lip Man 1
04-09-2005, 12:57 AM
Great start to the season by Hernandez. Hopefully he'll still be doing this in June.

Regarding Everett's first inning hit, last year Stewart catches that ball...maybe karma is changing, we'll see.

Lip

Gosox1917
04-09-2005, 01:03 AM
Great start by El Duque, good small ball, good long ball, just good stuff White Sox. The way we played tonight reminds me of how the Twins had played against us in the past. Atta way guys. Come out and get 'em again tomorrow.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-09-2005, 01:05 AM
Great start to the season by Hernandez. Hopefully he'll still be doing this in June.Lip
October.

DickAllen72
04-09-2005, 01:10 AM
Willie Harris also had a nice game both at the plate and in the field for his first start at 2b of the season. He was flying around the basepaths on that first inning run scored.

Great game by the Sox all the way around! :bandance:

Rocklive99
04-09-2005, 01:14 AM
I also like the Pods stuff, like I said earlier. Not a big fan of the 9th inning defensive replacement, but I don't want to get into a big argument about it. Positive from Willie, pitching and hitting alltogether, just a good game to watch (if you tune out Hawk and DJ, what a horrible telecast)

Best record in the AL :redneck

Chisox35
04-09-2005, 01:28 AM
Great game even though I could not watch it (stupid wciu), but good game anyway.

SSN721
04-09-2005, 01:31 AM

GO SOX!!! GOOD WIN!

I had fun cheering for him on gamecast at work, nice to see he is still a Cub Killer. I also was excited when Valentin got the dong for the Dodger in their game as well. i have no animosity towards these two and like to see them do well. Anyway, awesome gam tonight, just a pure delight to watch. i was thinking with the two mistakes byt he Twins that the hammer was sure to fall at some point, but hot damn this pitching and defense sure make me a lot more comfortable watching this team.

BigEdWalsh
04-09-2005, 01:36 AM
Great game even though I could not watch it (stupid wciu), but good game anyway.

I couldn't watch either, but WOW, what a great game. It's great to see El Duque dominate the frickin' Twinkies!
Welcome to Chicago El Duque! :gulp:

Great day with this win, the Bulls win and a Cubbie home opener loss. Life is beautiful.

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: Now tomorrow I have to remember to do my PTC!

TomParrish79
04-09-2005, 01:39 AM
The game wasnt carried by the MLB Extra innings package tonite, so I didnt get to see it, but glad we pulled off the win tonite.

Sounds like El Duque, Carl, Paulie, Aaron and Pods all came up with big plays tonite.

minastirith67
04-09-2005, 02:05 AM
Way to win the Twinkies' home opener! Let's finish 'em off tomorrow and Sunday. Let's go rockhead Garland!

flo-B-flo
04-09-2005, 02:07 AM
Yes, he had a big smile on his face before his first at-bat while the crowd booed him. Then he smacked the first pitch he saw for a double and an RBI. I just sat back and cheered. I loved when Carlos Lee was on the Sox. The trade had to be made. But, it's still nice to see C Lee do well. Especially the inevitable --- killing of the c---. I still remember what he did for the Sox.

Iwritecode
04-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Mark this day on the calendar guys. It doesn't get much more perfect than this:

Sox win
Twins lose
Cubs lose
Brewers win
Cardinals win
Astros win
Yankees lose
Red Sox win (po's Yankee fans :wink:)
Bulls win

:gulp::supernana::gulp::bandance::)

I guess technically you could add the Manos walk-off as well. :cool:

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2005, 02:38 AM
Mark this day on the calendar guys. It doesn't get much more perfect than this:

Sox win
Twins lose
Cubs lose
Brewers win
Cardinals win
Astros win
Yankees lose
Red Sox win (po's Yankee fans :wink:)Well, I like most of it, but why do I care what the Brewers do?

owensmouth
04-09-2005, 02:48 AM
Well, I like most of it, but why do I care what the Brewers do?

They beat the Cubs

Foulke You
04-09-2005, 02:49 AM
Just got back from the bar tonight, some grumpy Cub fans in attendance there got to watch my friend and I whoop it up as the Sox beat up on the Twinkees. My oh my we got dirty looks. It's not like we said anything bad about the Cubs out loud. I even got the bartenders to put the game up on the big screen when the Bulls were over so everyone in the bar could see El Duque put the Twins through a clinic. Ah, a great Friday night indeed.:cool:

Nellie_Fox
04-09-2005, 02:49 AM
They beat the CubsWell, wasn't that already covered by "Cubs lose"?

owensmouth
04-09-2005, 02:52 AM
Well, wasn't that already covered by "Cubs lose"?

In this one case, double jeopardy is highly encouraged.

Nard
04-09-2005, 04:25 AM
im veyr druknkb ut it don't matter

this years white sox re INCRRRRRRREDIBLE oh baby

i mean................... ****................ white sox baby okahy

fquaye149
04-09-2005, 05:11 AM
Well, wasn't that already covered by "Cubs lose"?

Any time an NL central opponent wins, the cubs lose a game in the standings.

Also, an angel gets its wings.

mealfred13
04-09-2005, 06:56 AM

And God kills a kitten? Oh wait...that's something else.:wink:

pmck003
04-09-2005, 07:04 AM
I have had to live in Minnesota since I was in the first grade, but my pops always kept me a sox fan (thank whoever you may believe in). I am new,I was hoping someone may know how I can email the twin fans the dancing banana. :bandance: .

Mickster
04-09-2005, 10:26 AM
I love the fact that the trade is working for both teams. It will be a pleasure to deal with the Brew Crew again.

Especially when we trade for Ben Sheets at the July 31 trade deadline. :cool:

Mickster
04-09-2005, 10:30 AM

:D:

Sargeant79
04-09-2005, 01:15 PM
"Here, Torii, Torii, Torii. Welcome to my hood, beeeeeotch.", Sox starter El Duque Hernandez.

lol!

A good amount of our fate this year is in the hands of the Cubans. Barring catastrophic injuries, if they keep having outings like these all year, we will win the division and maybe more than that.

ElDuque26
04-09-2005, 01:38 PM
damn right we will!

faneidde
04-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Great win, didn't see the game, but from everything I've read it sounded like a complete victory. Also, just a little sad this thread only has 90 posts by the Cleveland loss gets 165. I'm thrilled to death we won.

Ol' No. 2
04-09-2005, 02:01 PM
Am I the only one who thought Hernandez looked a little shaky in the first 2-3 innings? He was throwing a lot of pitches and seemed to be behind every batter. Once the Twins drew blood, he settled down nicely and seemed to be on cruise control from the 4th on.

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 02:19 PM
I agree he looked shaky, but even when behind counts he never walked a single batter.

gobears1987
04-09-2005, 02:21 PM
lol!

A good amount of our fate this year is in the hands of the Cubans. Barring catastrophic injuries, if they keep having outings like these all year, we will win the division and maybe more than that.
I agree. THey should prosper in the clubhouse atmosphere that exist. Contreras and Hernandez were only together on the Yankees for 3 weeks so they were never really on the Yanks together. PLus playing for Ozzie has to be 10 times better than playing for Torre.

minastirith67
04-09-2005, 03:02 PM
Am I the only one who thought Hernandez looked a little shaky in the first 2-3 innings? He was throwing a lot of pitches and seemed to be behind every batter. Once the Twins drew blood, he settled down nicely and seemed to be on cruise control from the 4th on.

First game jitters, perhaps? Pitching on Minnesota's opening day doesn't help much either...