PDA

View Full Version : Ed Farmer, your thoughts?

Muopsies
04-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Personally, I think he sucks. He just talks too much about a lot stuff that has no bearing on the game, the White Sox or baseball. For instance, the other day he starts talking about the Pope in the middle of the inning. Yes, I know the Pope was a big story but that's why I read the news. I don't tune into a sox game to hear "The World According to Ed."

Then there's the golf. I don't care, its obvious Rooney doesn't care and I"m sure most people don't care. It seems that he interrupts Rooney's broadcasts with his constant bantering as well. He's just a wet blanket on the broadcast.

Also, when he talks about his career, he makes it seem like he was the second coming of Cy Young. That I enjoy but only because he actually thinks he was Cy Young.

Lately, I've noticed that he has started to repeat his stories. He'll tell it on Monday and then on Tuesday, its the exact same story. What gives?

Wow,this was a rant. Anyone Else's thoughts?

BRDSR
04-08-2005, 05:09 PM
Let me make a bold prediction. Some people appreciate his tangents as a refreshing break from the tension we all experience listening to the White Sox and some people think he's the worst thing to happen to White Sox baseball since 1919. I'd point you to half a dozen threads on Farmer but I don't have the energy.

Either way I think we can all agree he's better than his counterpart on the north side. I once listened to Santo spend an entire top half of the 9th in a save situation talk about the type of orthopedic pillow he used on roadtrips. He's insufferable.

Ol' No. 2
04-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Personally, I think he sucks. He just talks too much about a lot stuff that has no bearing on the game, the White Sox or baseball. For instance, the other day he starts talking about the Pope in the middle of the inning. Yes, I know the Pope was a big story but that's why I read the news. I don't tune into a sox game to hear "The World According to Ed."

Then there's the golf. I don't care, its obvious Rooney doesn't care and I"m sure most people don't care. It seems that he interrupts Rooney's broadcasts with his constant bantering as well. He's just a wet blanket on the broadcast.

Also, when he talks about his career, he makes it seem like he was the second coming of Cy Young. That I enjoy but only because he actually thinks he was Cy Young.

Lately, I've noticed that he has started to repeat his stories. He'll tell it on Monday and then on Tuesday, its the exact same story. What gives?

Wow,this was a rant. Anyone Else's thoughts?I agree he gets off on a tangent some times. But if anything, Hawk and DJ are even worse. Maybe it's because Rooney brings him back to earth, but for whatever reason, his digressions are mercifully short, while Hawk and DJ can go on for 20 minutes.

C-Dawg
04-08-2005, 05:45 PM
I enjoy Ed's dry humor and droll delivery. He's a great compliment to John Rooney. I feel they are the best broadcasting team in town, either TV or radio.

twsoxfan5
04-08-2005, 05:53 PM

Wow,this was a rant. Anyone Else's thoughts?

I think Farmer is great. I know that sometimes he goes off on tangents, but how boring would it be if he didn't. There are a lot of pauses in the game and there is a lot of dead time that I think he fills pretty well. I think someone needs to start a "I support Ed Farmer thread"

Stroker Ace
04-08-2005, 06:04 PM
I like Farmer. Even though he goes off on tangents that tend to pull my attention away from the game.

Banix12
04-08-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm personally indifferent toward Farmer, I think he's an average color man. We can do better, we can do worse. I have heard that story about Billy Martin and the pitching coach about 500 times by now so I do think he is starting to run out of material based upon his own personal experience. If he was gone I wouldn't be crying over it.

Rooney is the money man of that tandem. It would be very difficult to replace him.

patbooyah
04-08-2005, 07:30 PM
i love ed farmer. i find him to be funny and love his stories. i also like that he doesn't care about breaking the rules and likes to slip a pope tangent in every once in a while. the man doesn't take himself too seriously, and thats nice. :cool:

owensmouth
04-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Personally, I like Farmio. I think that Rooney is the more polished and professional, but Farmer brings a unique perspective to the game.

They're both Catholic, so we get to hear that they've been to church. I'm not, but it doesn't bother me.

Think of it, he's from Chicago. He went to school not too far from Comiskey. He pitched for the Sox. He's earned his stripes.

One of his jobs is to fill in the dead time. Every color guy on radio has to tell a few stories. It's not like TV where the camera can pan around the ballpark. Dead time on radio is silent, and silence is deafening.

He's opinionated. So is everyone on this board.

whitesoxwilkes
04-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Count me in as a FOE--Friend Of Ed.

PAPChiSox729
04-08-2005, 07:37 PM
I like Ed Farmer. Yes he gets off of the game sometimes, but it can be really hard to fill that much time with information just about the game. John is usually pretty good about keeping Ed in the game. I hope Rooney and Farmer broadcast together for a long time. They are a good duo.

C-Dawg
04-08-2005, 08:03 PM
i love ed farmer. i find him to be funny and love his stories. i also like that he doesn't care about breaking the rules and likes to slip a pope tangent in every once in a while. the man doesn't take himself too seriously, and thats nice. :cool:

Actually, Pat, Ed Farmer kind of reminds me of your dad. He's got his favorite old stories, like his radio days in California, and I enjoy them everytime I hear them (such as the spiders in the transmitter hut in Bakersfield). Farmer is the same way - hearing the old stories again and again is just fine with me.

But don't get me started on Ron Santo! He is barely coherent and his stories get off track all the time and are usually interrupted by a play on the field, never to be completed. Truly tedious and painful to listen to.

TornLabrum
04-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Actually, Pat, Ed Farmer kind of reminds me of your dad. He's got his favorite old stories, like his radio days in California, and I enjoy them everytime I hear them (such as the spiders in the transmitter hut in Bakersfield). Farmer is the same way - hearing the old stories again and again is just fine with me.

But don't get me started on Ron Santo! He is barely coherent and his stories get off track all the time and are usually interrupted by a play on the field, never to be completed. Truly tedious and painful to listen to.

You took the words right out of my mouth regarding the similarities between Farmer and Steve Dahl. Plus, you've gotta love a guy who refuses to wear Sox, even in Chicago in January with wind chills of -20.

Rocklive99
04-08-2005, 08:28 PM
I love Farmer, him and Rooney are perfect for each other, and I love when he rips ESPN or BBTN. When they go off topic it is usally funny, and they do a good job of handling tough stretches or bad innings. I don't think I could find a better radio team that I would like better

shoota
04-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Farmer/Rooney will be on 94.7 FM for tonight's game due to the Bulls game on AM 1000.

Frank the Tank
04-08-2005, 11:05 PM
I think Farmer and Rooney to a great job. It would be almost impossible, and extremely boring to fill an entire game with baseball only commentary. The passing of the pope, regardless of the venue, is not out of the ordinary IMO. Try listening to Pat and Santo on the north side for a few minutes...... I'll take Farmer and Rooney anyday.

FarWestChicago
04-08-2005, 11:21 PM
The only problem I ever had with Farmer, being the partner of the excellent Rooney, was his absurd love affair with Shammy. Hopefully, that won't be an issue anymore. :D:

Ken
04-09-2005, 12:08 AM
I have been a lifelong (52 years) loyal Sox fan and I have to say that I truly cannot tolerate listening to Ed Farmer. His game analysis and play-by-play are not the issue. It is his consistently lame attempts at humor that insult me and many other fans who I talk to (Hawk was right).

Unfortunately, Ed Farmer has also had a growing influence on John Rooney, to the point that his style has also changed. Rooney used to be a reputable, first class announcer. In the past several years, he has stooped to Farmer's sophomoric level of humor and it is becoming increasingly harder to appreciate his talents. The two of them play off of each other's bad jokes and the game gets lost in their bad humor.

Like other Sox fans, I hate the Cubs, but I can actually appreciate Pat and Ron talking serious baseball rather than our Southside version of Hee-Haw.

Here's hoping that the Sox switch their broadcasts to WSCR next year and someone over there has the sense to break-up this radio team! I hope that the Sox personnel really do monitor some of the opinions on this site.

batmanZoSo
04-09-2005, 12:11 AM
I have been a lifelong (52 years) loyal Sox fan and I have to say that I truly cannot tolerate listening to Ed Farmer. His game analysis and play-by-play are not the issue. It is his consistently lame attempts at humor that insult me and many other fans who I talk to (Hawk was right).

Unfortunately, Ed Farmer has also had a growing influence on John Rooney, to the point that his style has also changed. Rooney used to be a reputable, first class announcer. In the past several years, he has stooped to Farmer's sophomoric level of humor and it is becoming increasingly harder to appreciate his talents. The two of them play off of each other's bad jokes and the game gets lost in their bad humor.

Like other Sox fans, I hate the Cubs, but I can actually appreciate Pat and Ron talking serious baseball rather than our Southside version of Hee-Haw.

Here's hoping that the Sox switch their broadcasts to WSCR next year and someone over there has the sense to break-up this radio team! I hope that the Sox personnel really do monitor some of the opinions on this site.

I don't get the impression that they're trying really hard to be funny. Farmer's just goofy and he has a weird sense of humor. Overall I like him, he's different. And Rooney is simply outstanding.

OH!foracold1
04-09-2005, 12:23 AM
JR and Farmio are the best. I can remember listening to Bob Elson and Milo Halmilton and John and Ed are a close 2nd.

Frank the Tank
04-09-2005, 12:34 AM

LOL X Infinity !!!!!!!

nordhagen
04-09-2005, 12:38 AM
I have no problem with Farmio, either. Unlike North Side Ronny, Ed has come a long, long, long way from when he first started in the booth in the early 90s. He was really brutal and play-by-play was absolutely painful to listen to. That's still not his strong suit, but I like the fact he's not shilling for the Sox and he's willing to give an honest viewpoint when they do something wrong (memo to Hawk and DJ).

Lip Man 1
04-09-2005, 12:58 AM
I have no problem with Ed, he beats the hell out of listening to D.J.

Lip

BigEdWalsh
04-09-2005, 01:47 AM
I have no problem with Ed, he beats the hell out of listening to D.J.

Lip

Same here. That's it in a nutshell.
I think Farmio's a pretty funny guy, Rooney too. I love Rooney's imitations of other announcers. Sometimes I wish he'd do a whole game "as someone else". That'd be a riot. Rooney AND Farmer are a pleasure to listen to. :worship: :rooney :farmer

owensmouth
04-09-2005, 02:44 AM

Here's hoping that the Sox switch their broadcasts to WSCR next year and someone over there has the sense to break-up this radio team! I hope that the Sox personnel really do monitor some of the opinions on this site.Only 52? You rookie! My favorite combo still is Bob Elson and Don Wells, but Rooney and Farmer are a close second. How come they quit adding a 1/2 foot to all Sox homers? Rooney and Farmer are employees of the White Sox, hired and kept on the payroll by JR, not WMVP.

D. TODD
04-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Count me as one on the side of Farmer haters. I dread being in my car during a game, just because I have to hear him. Rooney is a solid as they come, and I actually enjoy baseball on the radio, but Farmer is painful to listen to.