PDA

View Full Version : Typical Kerry Wood Start

Chisox003
04-08-2005, 03:09 PM
This is why this guy will NEVER be in the same league as some of the names he's been compared to...Even Buehrle

A typical Kerry wood start today, falling apart in the 5th inning, and now the bullpen has to carry the load....Just like EVERY other one of Woods starts

Dont believe the hype!

Ol' No. 2
04-08-2005, 03:39 PM
This is why this guy will NEVER be in the same league as some of the names he's been compared to...Even Buehrle

A typical Kerry wood start today, falling apart in the 5th inning, and now the bullpen has to carry the load....Just like EVERY other one of Woods starts

Dont believe the hype!102 pitches in 5.2 IP. 52 of them strikes. SSDD.

Banix12
04-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Kerry was lucky to make it as far as he did, if not for the lackluster effort from the bottom of the Brewers lineup of Miller, Branyan, Hardy and Capuano he would have been in serious trouble in the early innings. He was going 3-2 counts on everybody until the late 3rd inning.

Typical Kerry Wood start, he'll get his strikeouts but he'll shoot himself in the foot walking batters and going deep into counts. Making it a short day for him and a long day for the bullpen.

PAPChiSox729
04-08-2005, 06:24 PM
102 pitches in 5.2 IP. 52 of them strikes.

52 strikes to 50 balls?! Yikes. Don't worry, Prior will be back to dominating form with the big club in no time!
:rolleyes:

Wsoxmike59
04-09-2005, 06:22 AM
Kerry Wood reminds me of Nolan Ryan early in Ryan's career. When Ryan was with the Angels a typical Ryan game was a "low hit" effort, usually walking 6 or 7 and striking out batters in double digits.

It wasn't until late in Ryan's career, especially his last year in Anaheim 1979 and his first year in Houston in 1980 that Ryan cleaned up his mechanics and became more of a pitcher than a thower. (although he could still bring the heat!)

Wood has yet to make that connection between his brain and his arm. Like Ryan, Wood is effectively wild, but could probably be even more effective if he didn't try to strike out every hitter.

I agree with Steve Stone's assesment of Kerry Wood. He really should learn to adapt to be a better pitcher.....or he can go sell cars for a living. :D:

Dan H
04-09-2005, 09:28 AM
Kerry Wood - All arm and no brain. Reminds me of Cub fans, at least the part of the no brain.

veeter
04-09-2005, 11:07 AM
What irritates me is his free pass with the media and fans. Again today it's poor Kerry the bullpen blew another one for him. Even Wood himself said "I did my job." You did Kerry, if your job means to not get passed the sixth inning, throw a million pitches and be wild. I compared Wood to Bobby Witt before, now I'm thinking he's not even THAT good. Wood sucks, the cubs suck and mostly their fans suck.

dcb33
04-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Even Wood himself said "I did my job." You did Kerry, if your job means to not get passed the sixth inning, throw a million pitches and be wild.

....and walk in the tying run. He's just damn lucky Wuertz was able to bail him out of the 6th to let him escape with the ND.

SOXPHILE
04-09-2005, 12:58 PM
:santo "How can you guys say all that ! Kerry Wood(s) is great ! In fact, since I can't get in, I'm publicly campaining for MLB to change the rules, and allow him into the Hall of Fame this year, becoming the first player to be inducted while still active. He'll get in anyway, so why wait ? In fact, I think he's getting his own wing........"

TheBull19
04-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Kerry Wood reminds me of Nolan Ryan early in Ryan's career. When Ryan was with the Angels a typical Ryan game was a "low hit" effort, usually walking 6 or 7 and striking out batters in double digits.

Yeah, other than the fact from age 25-27, Ryan won 19,21,and 22 games while pitching 284, 326 and 332 innings, ERAs of 2.28, 2.87 and 2.89 and a total of 62 complete games, I guess there is a similarity.

SoxSpeed22
04-10-2005, 02:38 PM
....and walk in the tying run. He's just damn lucky Wuertz was able to bail him out of the 6th to let him escape with the ND.Congraturation on 500 dcb33!:D:
That was when Branyan was at bat.
My Cub fan friend on a 3-1 count said "How much do want to bet Branyan jacks one?"
I reply: "Two cents. Wood's gonna walk him on a 3-2 pitch."
Sure enough, I was right. I just responded with my usual "hmmph" and went to work out. There I saw the Cubs blow it and just went on with my business.

mccombe_35
04-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Wood was VERY lucky to not get the loss for that game. Wood allowed 5 hits, 4 BBs, & a HBP in less than 6 innings. 10 baserunners in 5 2/3 & only 2 runs. Bad baserunning by the Brewers (a caught stealing w/ 1 out & the pitcher up) & a pickoff early in the game cost the Brew Crew. And of course Wood got bailed out after leaving with the bases loaded....

his quest for 15 wins continues......

PAPChiSox729
04-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Wood was VERY lucky to not get the loss for that game. Wood allowed 5 hits, 4 BBs, & a HBP in less than 6 innings. 10 baserunners in 5 2/3 & only 2 runs. Bad baserunning by the Brewers (a caught stealing w/ 1 out & the pitcher up) & a pickoff early in the game cost the Brew Crew. And of course Wood got bailed out after leaving with the bases loaded....

But I thought Wood's leads were always blown by the Cubs bullpen. That is why he doesn't have 200 wins yet! Wood definitely deserved to loose the game after pitching the way he did.

dcb33
04-11-2005, 12:49 AM
Congraturation on 500 dcb33!:D:
That was when Branyan was at bat.
My Cub fan friend on a 3-1 count said "How much do want to bet Branyan jacks one?"
I reply: "Two cents. Wood's gonna walk him on a 3-2 pitch."
Sure enough, I was right. I just responded with my usual "hmmph" and went to work out. There I saw the Cubs blow it and just went on with my business.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/images/schedule/broadcasters/farmer_ed.jpg"A walk here doesn't kill you. A run may score, but it's better than giving up a blast."