PDA

View Full Version : Tigers might hire Dombrowski

Jerry_Manuel
11-02-2001, 08:39 PM
DETROIT -- The Detroit Tigers are pursuing former Florida Marlins president and general manager Dave Dombrowski to take over as the team president, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Dombrowski met recently with Tigers owner Mike Ilitch in Detroit, the paper said. Ilitch would reportedly give Dombrowski a wide berth to make the team competitive again.

Dombrowski has been a big league GM for more than a decade. He was the GM in Montreal in the early 1990s, and helped build Florida into a World Series champion in 1997.

Dombrowski has two years remaining on his $5 million contract in Florida. He's reportedly looking to leave the Marlins because there is no sign that ownership will make a financial commitment to winning. He also interviewed in Texas and was reportedly in Toronto on Friday to inquire about the Blue Jays' vacant GM job.

According to the Free Press, Dombrowski would not replace Randy Smith as the Tigers' GM. And manager Phil Garner's job is considered safe if Dombrowski is hired.

Ilitch froze the Tigers' payroll last winter and refused to allow any bids on free agents. That started a year-long collapse in which the Tigers, who had finished four games under .500 the year before, finished 30 games under .500 in their club-record eighth straight losing season.

In May, president John McHale resigned under pressure from Ilitch. A few weeks later, Ilitch named himself president and said, "I'm going to be very involved with all aspects of the club. I'm not satisfied with where we are. As owner, I take full responsibility for that."

oldcomiskey
11-03-2001, 11:34 AM
first of all didnt Dave work for us at one time--and Mike should stick to selling pizzas--they are much better than the kitties

kermittheefrog
11-03-2001, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
first of all didnt Dave work for us at one time--and Mike should stick to selling pizzas--they are much better than the kitties

He did work for us. He was fired by the greatest general manager in the history of the game, Ken Harrelson.

Nellsin
11-04-2001, 10:00 AM
Just saw this post today -- not only did Hawk fire former Sox AGM Dombrowski, who was shortly thereafter in the running for NL exec of the year (at Montreal I think), he also presided over getting rid of then-GM Roland Hemond, who then became AL Exec of the year (at Baltimore), and then-manager LaRussa, who was Manager of the Year a year or two later(?). Sort of the Triple Crown of bad personnel moves by a GM, I remember it being commented on at the time. Though probably it was JR pulling the strings.

:hawk

After that it was time for me to cinch it up and hunker down back to the broadcast booth.