PDA

View Full Version : Rooney and Farmer Vs. Dj and Hawk

crazyozzie02
04-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Me and my dad were having a little talk about which was better. He said that he liked Farmer and Rooney better than Dj And Hawk. I said it the other way around. So i want to know your opinion in this new poll. Thanks:smile:

rdwj
04-08-2005, 12:13 PM
DJ is an anchor around Hawk's neck in this poll.

I miss Wimpy :(:

Foulke You
04-08-2005, 12:14 PM
I like them both, however, from a pure baseball calling and insight standpoint, you cannot beat Farmer and Rooney. They are the best in the business. They aren't afraid to be critical and call things how they see it and they have great chemistry together. Hawk wins in the passion department but he hasn't meshed with DJ like he did with Wimpy. For baseball insight and great play by play, I'll tune in to Rooney and Farmio.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-08-2005, 12:23 PM
DJ is an anchor around Hawk's neck in this poll.

I miss Wimpy :(:

You've got it backwards. Hawk is the anchor around DJ's neck as anyone who has ever heard what a fine announcer DJ is on Fox telecasts will attest.

I'm hardly the first person to rightly note that a good announcer makes everyone around them sound better, too. Hawk makes DJ sound terrible and he ran off your favorite Wimpy, too.

So why defend him? His fake homespun banter has nothing to do with baseball. If all I want is entertainment I can do a whole lot better than Hawk simply by tuning in HBO.

Sorry, but Hawk sucks and he's a toady, too. He's good for telling me what JR is thinking and not much else.

DaleJRFan
04-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Can I pick Hawk and Rooney???

Sox-on-TV44
04-08-2005, 12:27 PM
I mean I like 'em both,but Rooney and Farmer are more upbeat,and DJ kind of kill it for me.Boy that's a long way from the days of Jimmy Piersall.

hdog1017
04-08-2005, 12:43 PM
I still voted for DJ and Hawk, but it would be so much better with Wimpy. Rooney and Farmer are still top notch, but when the Sox are winning, its really fung to listen to Hawk, especially when he describes his time with the Carmines.

wdelaney72
04-08-2005, 12:51 PM
It comes down to who do you dislike more, Farmer or Rooney. Ideally, I'd love to have Rooney as play-by-play and Hawk doing color.

Gosox1917
04-08-2005, 01:13 PM
I'll vote Hawk and DJ every time just because I fell in love with the way Hawk calls a game as a kid. Hawk and Wimpy was the best duo for the Sox I've heard in my 19 years of life here on earth. Hawk and DJ aren't as bad as some of you say, IMO. Not great but not that bad either. Farmer and Rooney are good too, but I have a bias toward Hawk, especially since I watch more games than I listen to them.

fledgedrallycap
04-08-2005, 01:22 PM
In my opinion, you're comparing apples and oranges. The responsibility of Hawk and DJ is much different than that of Rooney & Farmer. A TV crew should accent a game, by providing insight and entertainment; but the game is in front of our eyes and we as viewers don't actively listen to an entire broadcast b/c of it. On the other hand, the radio team has to paint a picture for the listener - something much more difficult than a TV job, and still be enjoyable/entertaining.

I know Farmer takes a lot of heat, but I do enjoy his sense of humor; maybe because I get it and can tell a lot don't - or at least don't like it. However, he knows the game and compliments Rooney well.

Not many White Sox fans will have anything negative to say about Hawk, epecially when the Sox are winning; and I'm not the exception. He loves the club and city. DJ is regressing in my opinion, and I wasn't a harsh critic. However, he just doesn't feel confortable nor does he mesh well with Hawk when thier casual discussions occur. My guess is there will be a new analyst next year, one that Brooks will stamp himself.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
04-08-2005, 01:26 PM
DJ kills hawk in this poll

Epark84
04-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Hawk seems like a good guy, but i think his calling was as a color guy. Just too much dead air. Rooney is one of the best in the biz

comiskey2000
04-08-2005, 05:20 PM
I think that DJ doesn't know enough trvia about baseball. He holds Hawk back becuase they can not have conversations about anything pre-1985. The Farmer/Hawk spring training broadcast was amazing. I heard a lot of things Hawk could never talk to DJ about.

DickAllen72
04-08-2005, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE=PaleHoseGeorge]You've got it backwards. Hawk is the anchor around DJ's neck as anyone who has ever heard what a fine announcer DJ is on Fox telecasts will attest.
/QUOTE]

That's an interesting observation. I thought DJ and Melton sounded great together during that ST broadcast, and DJ seemed much better than usual.

I voted for Hawk & DJ in the poll because to me, Ed Farmer's "announcing" is unbearable.

SoxFan76
04-08-2005, 05:57 PM
Hawk is more of a fan than an announcer. And you know what? I love it. I see Hawk and DJ as Sox fans who get to talk about baseball all summer. Don't get me wrong, Rooney and Farmer are awesome and very entertaining, but I prefer Hawk and DJ.

Spicoli
04-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Hawk and Rooney.

I can't stand Farmer!

Ol' No. 2
04-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Can I change my vote? Ron Santo is my new favorite broadcaster. I laughed so hard last night driving home I almost ran into a semi. With the Cubs bullpen, he's going to be a lot of fun listening to this summer.

:santo Ohhhhhh Noooooo!!!!

ChicagoHoosier
04-09-2005, 10:33 AM
I would much prefer Rooney and Farmer, but sometimes it could be that the radio guys have to give more detail because the viewer is not watching the game unfold. It would be fun to see/hear the two teams switch places for a couple of games and see how that would work.

But, in a perfect world, I'd listen to the radio and watch the game on TV with no sound. Not sure if everyone else has this problem, but with DirectTV, and the radio 7 second delay or whatever it is, they never are on the same wavelength, so I see the pitch before I hear Rooney call it.

Not a fan of DJ at all. When Silvy and Hawk did a couple pre-season games, I kinda liked Hawk back at color and Silvy doing play by play.

hawkjt
04-09-2005, 10:48 AM
Rooney and Hawk are the keepers in this group. Farmio drives me nuts with his rambling Cali-centric stories. Am I going to have to hear about his wife and daughter tuning in on XM radio in CA. every game now? Rooney is great. Hawk is pure old -time baseball announcer unlike a generic youngster like Kasper for the cubs. I like the flavor.

minastirith67
04-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Can I change my vote? Ron Santo is my new favorite broadcaster. I laughed so hard last night driving home I almost ran into a semi. With the Cubs bullpen, he's going to be a lot of fun listening to this summer.

:santo Ohhhhhh Noooooo!!!!

Hahahaha....too true, too true. That guy cracks me up like no other...

D. TODD
04-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Hawk and Rooney.

I can't stand Farmer! I couldn't agree more. Rooney is good, but with Farmer by his side I could never vote that tandem better then almost anyone.. Unless Santo was in the other booth.