PDA

View Full Version : Ratings dip for Game 5; Series 17 percent higher than '00

Jerry_Manuel
11-02-2001, 07:33 PM
Some people are interested in things like this, not me.

NEW YORK (AP) -- World Series TV ratings slid from Game 4 to Game 5, but the average audience is still well above last year.

Fox's broadcast of the New York Yankees' 3-2 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks in 12 innings Thursday night drew a 14.4 national rating and 24 share.

That's 10 percent better than for Game 5 in 2000, when the Yankees beat the Mets to win the championship.

Yankees-Diamondbacks is averaging a 14.4 rating, 17 percent better than Yankees-Mets, which also was on Fox and was the worst-rated World Series ever. The Subway Series averaged a 12.4 rating and 21 share, down 23 percent from 1999 and 12 percent from 1998's previous record low.

Until Game 5, this year's World Series ratings had increased steadily, from a record-low 10.4 in Game 1 to a 15.0 for Game 2, 15.4 for Game 3, and 15.8 for Game 4.

Thursday night's baseball rating was the same as the household rating for NBC's prime-time schedule, including ``Friends'' and ``E.R.''

The rating is the percentage of 105.5 million U.S. television households tuned to a program. The share is the percentage watching a broadcast among TVs on at the time.

Fox is in the first season of a $2.5 billion, six-year contract with baseball.

Daver
11-02-2001, 07:38 PM
A contract that garuntees MLB the money if there is a work stoppage or not.

Are you still thinking there won't be a lockout next year?

But then again what the hell do I know?

Paulwny
11-03-2001, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by daver
A contract that garuntees MLB the money if there is a work stoppage or not.

Are you still thinking there won't be a lockout next year?

But then again what the hell do I know?

TV execs. must be dummer then mlb owners. This has to be the first time the owners have put one over on anybody.
I'm wrong, they seem to out think politicians when it comes to building stadiums. Where are politicians on the "think chain"?

czalgosz
11-03-2001, 12:48 PM
Well, the owners are pretty stupid if they are counting on a 6-year deal that would cover not even one year's worth of payroll for the existing MLB teams to recup billions and billions in losses from another work stoppage. There would have to be massive idiocy on both sides to cause another work stoppage. I'm not saying that the current guys in charge aren't capable of massive idiocy, but they do know about the bottom line, and the bottom line is that they will have to fold a lot more than two teams if there's another work stoppage that cuts into regular season play next year.

Paulwny
11-03-2001, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

NEW YORK (AP) -- World Series TV ratings slid from Game 4 to Game 5, but the average audience is still well above last year.

Gee, I thought last years subway series was the series that the entire country wanted to view. LOL