PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen philosophy...

White Sox Randy
04-08-2005, 12:19 PM
I've never understood the way most managers (Ozzie included) use their bullpens. Why use up a bunch of guys pitching to one or two batters each ? Why does your closer always have to come in during a save situation ? Why can't a right hander face a left hander when your starters do it all day long ?

If I were managing, I would bring in a pitcher and intently monitor how he is pitching. If the guy is throwing great, I'd leave him in for another batter. Until he looks shaky ,I'd let him do the job. Let's be honest, the pitcher always has the advantage because batters do not hit over .500. Unless the guy can't find the plate, your pitcher has a better chance of getting the hitter out than vice versa.

Also, yesterday was a prime example of when not to bring your closer in. Hermanson was excellent in the 8th inning and well rested. There was no reason not to atleast start him in the 9th. It was proven statistically last year that Shingo does not pitch nearly as well on back-to-back days as he does with a day or two of rest. So...Ozzie....wake up !

DaveIsHere
04-08-2005, 12:24 PM
Can we get over this already, it was ONE game, live and learn, Does anyone realize that we are playing a game tonight????? Well we are and it is against the Twins, let get them and drop yesterdays fiasco

White Sox Randy
04-08-2005, 12:31 PM
This guy we have to watch manage the bullpen all year long. We need him to atleast have a strategy that makes some sense.

ND_Sox_Fan
04-08-2005, 12:36 PM
It was proven statistically last year that Shingo does not pitch nearly as well on back-to-back days as he does with a day or two of rest. So...Ozzie....wake up !

He was pitching on 2 days rest yesterday (the off-day Tuesday and he didn't pitch Wednesday). While I agree Hermanson could have done the job, you have to be able to count on your closer with two days rest.

If you don't bring him in, people would have had their panties in a bunch because they violated the predetermined "roles" that guys have. I would argue more with using Politte and Marte for only one batter each.

White Sox Randy
04-08-2005, 12:40 PM
I stand correected. I was thinking Shingo pitched Wed.