PDA

View Full Version : Schilling might not start possible Game 7

Jerry_Manuel
11-02-2001, 08:08 PM
ESPN.com news services
PHOENIX -- Curt Schilling's availability for the Arizona Diamondbacks in a possible Game 7 of the World Series is up in the air, a well-placed source told ESPN's Karl Ravech.

Schilling said he was feeling much better at a Friday press conference and added that he would be ready to pitch in Game 7 despite a source saying the pitcher felt significantly worse after his Game 4 start against the New York Yankees than he did after his Game 1 start.

The source said Schilling is worried about a career-damaging injury that might result from a second consecutive start on three days' rest.

Schilling pitched seven strong innings in both Game 1 and Game 4. He got the win in the opener last Saturday and settled for a no-decision in Game 4 on Wednesday as Byung-Hyun Kim blew the first of two consecutive save opportunities with two outs in the ninth inning.

There is no guarantee, of course, that there will be a Game 7 on Sunday. Thanks to consecutive miracle comeback victories in the last two games, the Yankees have a 3-2 series lead. Arizona's Randy Johnson opposes Andy Pettitte in Game 6 on Saturday night. Roger Clemens will start for the Yankees if a Game 7 is necessary Sunday.

Brian Anderson (Game 3) and Miguel Batista (Game 5) have also started games for the D-Backs in the series.

Spiff
11-02-2001, 08:12 PM
I was wondering if 3 days rest would do damage. Now I know.

Daver
11-02-2001, 08:12 PM
That whole thing is a ploy to get the Yankees guessing,Schilling will pitch game 7.

But then again what the hell do I know?

Jerry_Manuel
11-02-2001, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by daver
That whole thing is a ploy to get the Yankees guessing,Schilling will pitch game 7.

Well if the hunting gods are Yankee fans wouldn't they make it so he doesn't pitch?

Daver
11-02-2001, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Well if the hunting gods are Yankee fans wouldn't they make it so he doesn't pitch?

I just got done threatening the hunting gods an hour ago,I beleive they are now a non-factor.

doublem23
11-02-2001, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by daver

But then again what the hell do I know?

There won't be a Game 7. This series ended when Schilling was pulled after only 88 pitches in Game 4.