PDA

View Full Version : Keys to the Twins Series

Jurr
04-07-2005, 11:59 PM
Okay. We have had our evening of rants about the ineptitude of Shingo in the top of the ninth. The loss was a tough one, but there's plenty of work to be done. The Sox watched the Twins celebrate in the Cell last season, and you know they've been waiting to get back on the field against these guys. This isn't a make or break series considering the season is less than one week old, but a couple of wins in Minnesota would set a good pace to the season. Here's some of my observations about what needs to happen.

1.) Stay BACK! So far, I've seen a lot of the Sox players swinging a little late on some fastballs (especially against Millwood). This may seem like a bad thing, but it's a sign that they're trying to stay back and see the ball, and it could be very beneficial against Minnesota. For the last three years, the Twins have beaten our hitters by taking advantage of their aggressiveness. Off speed pitching by Radke, Lohse, and more recently Santana have killed the Sox hitters. If the hitters can remain patient and can stay back on the ball (much like they did against Cliff Lee today), they can recognize and hit those changeups and slow curves that get over the plate.

2.) Keep up the good defense. I've watched Minnesota play their three games so far, and they've been taking advantage of Seattle mistakes in the field. They've been terrorizing us for years in this department, and if the Sox can keep that great defensive focus, they'll be in the games. File this one under obvious.

3.) Go after Hunter and get under the players' skin. The Sox need to be doing the intense things they couldn't seem to do last year. Hard slides, pitching inside, and of course, plunking Torii Hunter at least once are things that need to happen this series. The Twins players proved last year that they were a more hard nosed team than the Sox, and the Sox need to show the Twins that the pushover days are over. I would be very happy if the benches cleared ala Detroit/Chisox in 2000. An attitude needs to be established in this series.

4.) AJ. He may be a wild card in this series all year long. He knows the Twins' pitchers and he knows their hitters. Hopefully he's been sharing the wealth to the hitters on the team about little subtleties the pitchers have and how to attack them. Having a guy like AJ behind the plate may be a very important factor in our favor this year vs. Minnesota.

What other keys do you guys feel will be important to the Sox success this weekend? Of course we've gotta have some great starting pitching and offensive success, but what other factors are going to play a big role in this important early series??

soxfan43
04-08-2005, 12:01 AM
1. Don't use up the entire bullpen in 2 innings. 2. Slide hard into Mauer 3. Bean torii Hunter

batmanZoSo
04-08-2005, 12:33 AM
Patience is king against these guys. Make them throw pitches, no stupid swings, take what they give you. I want to see short swings and to see guys going for the opposite field. Constantly put pressure on them, on every team for that matter. Do anything to distract the pitcher and the infield. You have to be a threat to bunt, to hit and run and to steal.

Just play with intensity and urgency, but not overagressive at the plate. And uh, you know, don't blow saves...

SoxSpeed22
04-08-2005, 12:43 AM
Patience is king against these guys. Make them throw pitches, no stupid swings, take what they give you. I want to see short swings and to see guys going for the opposite field. Constantly put pressure on them, on every team for that matter. Do anything to distract the pitcher and the infield. You have to be a threat to bunt, to hit and run and to steal.

Just play with intensity and urgency, but not overagressive at the plate. And uh, you know, don't blow saves... That's how the Twins would kill us in the Humpdome. A team that hits Home Runs strikes out a lot. Their style of ball was obviously better than ours and that's why we changed. Now we have to prove ourselves, even if it is the 4th, 5th and 6th game of the year.

Lip Man 1
04-08-2005, 01:25 AM
Start hitting the damn ball and don't use your closer needlessly when you have a three run lead save him for a real emergency. That and pray when facing Santana.

Lip

jabrch
04-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Score more runs than they do.

mccombe_35
04-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Get the bats going, especially the bottom of the order. Crede, Rowand, & Uribe are a combined 3 for 31 (.097). With less thump in the middle of the lineup than years past, we can't have a third of the order hitting under .100

We miss ya, Frank.

whitesoxwilkes
04-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Hit the ball hard and on the ground. No swinging for the fences, the blowers will just push it back anyway.

FedEx227
04-08-2005, 09:31 AM
The keys are: starting pitching keep doing well...it was nice to see Buehrle and the crew destroy cleveland, but now we face our no.1 choke team, so we need big games from El Duque and Garland

plus the bullpen needs to...eh...not suck or not get used up in the 8th inning.

Baby Fisk
04-08-2005, 09:37 AM
Pierzynski needs to issue some more $100 bounties and get the bats going.

El Duque needs to match or exceed Contreras' performance.

Shingo needs to get right back in there if a save situation arises.

The Sox need to make sure Hunter doesn't become a distraction. At the same time, take every opportunity to make him suffer.

Rowand, Everett, Uribe: WAKE UP ALREADY!

gosox41
04-08-2005, 11:25 AM
Okay. We have had our evening of rants about the ineptitude of Shingo in the top of the ninth. The loss was a tough one, but there's plenty of work to be done. The Sox watched the Twins celebrate in the Cell last season, and you know they've been waiting to get back on the field against these guys. This isn't a make or break series considering the season is less than one week old, but a couple of wins in Minnesota would set a good pace to the season. Here's some of my observations about what needs to happen.

1.) Stay BACK! So far, I've seen a lot of the Sox players swinging a little late on some fastballs (especially against Millwood). This may seem like a bad thing, but it's a sign that they're trying to stay back and see the ball, and it could be very beneficial against Minnesota. For the last three years, the Twins have beaten our hitters by taking advantage of their aggressiveness. Off speed pitching by Radke, Lohse, and more recently Santana have killed the Sox hitters. If the hitters can remain patient and can stay back on the ball (much like they did against Cliff Lee today), they can recognize and hit those changeups and slow curves that get over the plate.

2.) Keep up the good defense. I've watched Minnesota play their three games so far, and they've been taking advantage of Seattle mistakes in the field. They've been terrorizing us for years in this department, and if the Sox can keep that great defensive focus, they'll be in the games. File this one under obvious.

3.) Go after Hunter and get under the players' skin. The Sox need to be doing the intense things they couldn't seem to do last year. Hard slides, pitching inside, and of course, plunking Torii Hunter at least once are things that need to happen this series. The Twins players proved last year that they were a more hard nosed team than the Sox, and the Sox need to show the Twins that the pushover days are over. I would be very happy if the benches cleared ala Detroit/Chisox in 2000. An attitude needs to be established in this series.

4.) AJ. He may be a wild card in this series all year long. He knows the Twins' pitchers and he knows their hitters. Hopefully he's been sharing the wealth to the hitters on the team about little subtleties the pitchers have and how to attack them. Having a guy like AJ behind the plate may be a very important factor in our favor this year vs. Minnesota.

What other keys do you guys feel will be important to the Sox success this weekend? Of course we've gotta have some great starting pitching and offensive success, but what other factors are going to play a big role in this important early series??

I hope the Sox decide to make a statement against the Twins this series. It'd be nice to havea 3 game lead over them by the second week of April and send a message that we won't back down.

Bob

Stroker Ace
04-08-2005, 11:37 AM
The only key that matters-SCORE MORE RUNS THAN THE TWINKS!

wdelaney72
04-08-2005, 01:01 PM

The only key that matters-SCORE MORE RUNS THAN THE TWINKS!

When did John Madden start posting here?

Baby Fisk
04-08-2005, 01:05 PM

I think you mean...

The Grand Poobah of the Wizzened but Obvious Statement!

:morgan
"The key to winning more games over the course of a season is to be consistent in outscoring your opponents."

PatK
04-08-2005, 01:33 PM
What the first guy said.

chisoxmike
04-08-2005, 01:44 PM
I've got a key for you guys...

WIN.

Just win. I don't care how they do it. Long ball, small ball, high ball, low ball, pretty wins, ugly wins, JUST WIN. Let's beat the crap out of these guys this weekend, and for every series against them this year.

Its Friday April 8, not Thursday April 7th at 4pm. Yeah, they f'ed up yesterday, lets put it behind us and lets come out of the garbage dome with a sweep!

wdelaney72
04-08-2005, 01:49 PM
I think you mean...

The Grand Poobah of the Wizzened but Obvious Statement!

:morgan
"The key to winning more games over the course of a season is to be consistent in outscoring your opponents."

As Al Michael's once said... "Nice Touch".

However, Madden has been pointing out the blatantly obvious well before Joe Morgan retired and went to the booth.

Jurr
04-08-2005, 04:18 PM
Man, I think Joe Morgan is worthless. He definitely has a couple of agendas going, if you ever read his writing or his commentary. I think he does have a good voice, and he doesn't call a bad game. He just gets more caught up in his personal garbage the more comfortable he gets in his position at the mike. John Miller bites his lip a lot.

By the way....it's getting close to game time. Only a couple of hours away. Is anyone else just absolutely amped for this? Screw the tribe. This is the beginning of the season. I saw that ad the other day on the Twins channel where the woman is cleaning her dirty floor with a Sox jersey. Let 'em talk trash and think they're going to walk over us. Finally, they're the team with all of the expectations. Let's take it from 'em.

The Racehorse
04-08-2005, 04:24 PM
I think it's never too early in the season for this type of question.

With that said, I do feel it's too early for specific keys such as individual matchups and the like...

... after yesterdays tough loss [huge understatement :mad: ], I really believe that the key to this series is intensity, Intensity, INTENSITY!

GO SOX!

Chisox003
04-08-2005, 04:27 PM
By the way....it's getting close to game time. Only a couple of hours away. Is anyone else just absolutely amped for this? Screw the tribe. This is the beginning of the season. I saw that ad the other day on the Twins channel where the woman is cleaning her dirty floor with a Sox jersey. Let 'em talk trash and think they're going to walk over us. Finally, they're the team with all of the expectations. Let's take it from 'em.

I saw that commercial on MLBTV...Worst commercial ever

Ouch! Got us good Minnesota!

Iwritecode
04-08-2005, 04:32 PM
Did I read right that this game is only on WCIU?

That sucks. First chance I get to finally watch a game (i.e. night game) and it's not even televised in my area... :angry:

Mohoney
04-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Here's a key. Don't anoint Neal Cotts as your 1st option out of the bullpen.

jerry myers
04-08-2005, 06:26 PM
we have to outplay the twins period they have been in the way if we cant be better than them theirs always next year.

S.S. Lumber Yard
04-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Paul Konerko is one X-factor. He is something like 3-38 lifetime versus Lohse.

PAPChiSox729
04-08-2005, 07:03 PM
I say the bullpen. Hopefully we will have some leads. The last thing we need is the Twinkies to rally and gain some big momentum to start the season. I think that we will match up evenly with our starters, but our bullpen needs to step up.

NSSoxFan
04-08-2005, 07:21 PM
we have to outplay the twins period they have been in the way if we cant be better than them theirs always next year.

Say what? :cool:

SpammySosa
04-08-2005, 10:09 PM
don't use your closer needlessly when you have a three run lead save him for a real emergency..

Lip

:deadhorse:

Frater Perdurabo
04-08-2005, 10:13 PM

Stole my thunder.... :cool:

santo=dorf
04-08-2005, 10:23 PM

I listened to the Cubs for 5 minutes in my car today and the first thing I heard from Santo's mouth in response to the tie game was "Well Pat, we need to score some runs. That's the key."

:rolleyes: