PDA

View Full Version : DJ is not a good announcer!

chez742002
04-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Is DJ really that bad? :o: :whiner:

:angry: I was so annoyed by his play by play today that I had to stop listening to the TV and had to turn on the radio. Why does Hawk allow DJ to do the play by play? I know that he does it so he can take a break, but he should ask Rooney to fill in for him while he is on his break because DJ talks and talks and talks. He doesn't make any points that are worthwhile, he tries to act like Hawk even though he is nothing like him and he never shuts up, not even for a second. I just couldn't take it anymore. Once he said "Paulie missed that hanger, but it had a lot of bite, so he gave it a good effort!" What was he talking about? A "hanger" is a curveball that hangs and stays up for a hitter and does not have any bite, so a hitter usually crushes it! This pitch was a sharp breaking ball and Hawk then responded, "DJ, not all curveballs are hangers and that was not one of them!" Then after the Indians took the lead, DJ said that," this is what you expect to happen in these Central Division battles.... Craziness!"

:o: I do not expect to be up 3 runs with our supposed "stopper" on the mound and have him give up 3 "solo" home runs. If this is what DJ expects than he needs to have a much more important job in this world, because he can predict outcomes that no one would expect. If this is what Sox fans have to expect than we need a new manager and a new closer because both of those guys were at major fault for this loss!

:whiner: Why didn't the Sox hire a better analyst while they had the chance (Stone or even anyone else)?, I know Reinsdorf rewards his former players, but DJ is a terrible mix with Hawk. Hawk does not respect DJ and I do not think he likes working with him because Jackson doesn't bring any good insights to the game, he is to busy trying to say "YESSSS and Put it on the Board", he keeps trying to speak in Hawk's accent and mannerisms and he has yet to get better. DJ is too caught up trying to impersonate and impress Hawk instead of performing like he does with FOX Baseball telecasts.

:wink: Hawk is a good play by play man and a great representative for the White Sox, their fans and the city of Chicago. He has an interesting vocabulary and is an uplifting showman with good knowledge of the game and its history; he is an all around good announcer who is true black and silver. He respects the franchise and loves the team and its fans. He may say some stupid things but he is not afraid to back up his words and take the heat from his comments. I love Hawk and he is an overpowering announcer who needs a "PROFESSIONAL" play by play man to be his partner. Hawk has to respect someone in order for the broadcast to flow and this was proven when he was with Drysdale and Paciorek (even though he seemed to be mean to Wimpy, he still respected him).

:angry: DJ is terrible and he needs to be let go, we deserve a professional in the pressbox and DJ is not the man. He might be OK with National broadcasts but he is not "our guy" like Hawk is. We already have to deal with one idiot (Dore) and a senile old man (Red Kerr) with one of Reinsdorf's teams (Bulls), we shouldn't have to listen to anymore garbage with our favorite team and that is what DJ is in the booth.:whiner: :mad:

Foulke29
04-07-2005, 10:52 PM
:DJShut your hole!

:threadblows:

batmanZoSo
04-07-2005, 11:39 PM

:angry: I was so annoyed by his play by play today that I had to stop listening to the TV and had to turn on the radio. Why does Hawk allow DJ to do the play by play? I know that he does it so he can take a break, but he should ask Rooney to fill in for him while he is on his break because DJ talks and talks and talks. He doesn't make any points that are worthwhile, he tries to act like Hawk even though he is nothing like him and he never shuts up, not even for a second. I just couldn't take it anymore. Once he said "Paulie missed that hanger, but it had a lot of bite, so he gave it a good effort!" What was he talking about? A "hanger" is a curveball that hangs and stays up for a hitter and does not have any bite, so a hitter usually crushes it! This pitch was a sharp breaking ball and Hawk then responded, "DJ, not all curveballs are hangers and that was not one of them!" Then after the Indians took the lead, DJ said that," this is what you expect to happen in these Central Division battles.... Craziness!"

:o: I do not expect to be up 3 runs with our supposed "stopper" on the mound and have him give up 3 "solo" home runs. If this is what DJ expects than he needs to have a much more important job in this world, because he can predict outcomes that no one would expect. If this is what Sox fans have to expect than we need a new manager and a new closer because both of those guys were at major fault for this loss!

:whiner: Why didn't the Sox hire a better analyst while they had the chance (Stone or even anyone else)?, I know Reinsdorf rewards his former players, but DJ is a terrible mix with Hawk. Hawk does not respect DJ and I do not think he likes working with him because Jackson doesn't bring any good insights to the game, he is to busy trying to say "YESSSS and Put it on the Board", he keeps trying to speak in Hawk's accent and mannerisms and he has yet to get better. DJ is too caught up trying to impersonate and impress Hawk instead of performing like he does with FOX Baseball telecasts.

:wink: Hawk is a good play by play man and a great representative for the White Sox, their fans and the city of Chicago. He has an interesting vocabulary and is an uplifting showman with good knowledge of the game and its history; he is an all around good announcer who is true black and silver. He respects the franchise and loves the team and its fans. He may say some stupid things but he is not afraid to back up his words and take the heat from his comments. I love Hawk and he is an overpowering announcer who needs a "PROFESSIONAL" play by play man to be his partner. Hawk has to respect someone in order for the broadcast to flow and this was proven when he was with Drysdale and Paciorek (even though he seemed to be mean to Wimpy, he still respected him).

:angry: DJ is terrible and he needs to be let go, we deserve a professional in the pressbox and DJ is not the man. He might be OK with National broadcasts but he is not "our guy" like Hawk is. We already have to deal with one idiot (Dore) and a senile old man (Red Kerr) with one of Reinsdorf's teams (Bulls), we shouldn't have to listen to anymore garbage with our favorite team and that is what DJ is in the booth.:whiner: :mad:

DJ has never been this bad I have to say. I don't know what happened, it's pretty painful. In the past he showed signs of improving albeit slightly, and he is a different announcer on Fox Saturdays--really not too bad. But there is absolutely no chemistry between these two whatsoever. I get uncomfortable just listening to them.

oeo
04-08-2005, 12:11 AM
He seems like he's talking more up there, and I'm not really liking it at all. He really does need to shut up and let Hawk do the play-by-play just like before...he's really bad at it. He is always stuttering and making mistakes...

Lip Man 1
04-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Chez says: "DJ is not a good announcer!"

Well duh.....

Meanwhile an articulate, insightful Bill Melton rots on the pre and post game shows on TV. Maybe DJ works cheap?

Lip

Nellie_Fox
04-08-2005, 12:20 AM
Why does Hawk allow DJ to do the play by play? I know that he does it so he can take a break, but he should ask Rooney to fill in for him while he is on his break because DJ talks and talks and talks.I didn't get to see the game, so I can't comment on DJ's performance, but I can say that it's not up to Hawk who fills in for him when he takes a break. Rooney's contract is with radio.

Lip Man 1
04-08-2005, 12:27 AM
I disagree. Melton has a good strong announcers voice. And he doesn't hesitate or stutter.

Lip

Rocklive99
04-08-2005, 01:16 AM
I think we'd all agree that we'd welcome a Carmen DeFalco tryout?

The Critic
04-08-2005, 07:04 AM
DJ still beats the hell out of Ed Farmer.

Farmer's gem from yesterday's game:
"If you're the closer and you come in with a three run lead, you're thinking, Okay, I can get the first out and if I give up a run after that I can get the second out and give up a run after that. Then I get the third out and it's game over."

I about vomited when I heard that crap.
He is awful. Absolutely awful. Every game.

wdelaney72
04-08-2005, 08:01 AM
DJ got hired cause he is black. plain and simple. he adds no insight and his voice is HORRIBLE for his position. i can barely hear him cause he talks too low and seems to mumble. i never liked this move. and i was sickened when they gave him an extension.
:dumbpeople:

doublem23
04-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Good Lord, if you like Rooney and Farmer more than Hawk & DJ, mute your TV and turn the radio up. I've been doing it for the last few years, but even now that I don't get ESPN-1000 unless I'm on the North Side of town, I somehow manage to put up with Hawk and DJ because it's the White Sox.

chez, you need some cheese with that whine?

SoxFanTillDeath
04-08-2005, 08:22 AM
:roflmao: :rolling: :roflmao:

HITMEN OF 77
04-08-2005, 10:53 AM

:angry: I was so annoyed by his play by play today that I had to stop listening to the TV and had to turn on the radio. Why does Hawk allow DJ to do the play by play? I know that he does it so he can take a break, but he should ask Rooney to fill in for him while he is on his break because DJ talks and talks and talks.

The stupid Mariners broadcast team does that every game. They rotate the guys from the tv booth to the radio booth 2 or 3 times during a game. Musical broadcasters and its so stupid!!

mantis1212
04-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Good Lord, if you like Rooney and Farmer more than Hawk & DJ, mute your TV and turn the radio up. I've been doing it for the last few years, but even now that I don't get ESPN-1000 unless I'm on the North Side of town, I somehow manage to put up with Hawk and DJ because it's the White Sox.

chez, you need some cheese with that whine?

I tried that, but there's a delay in the TV broadcast, so you hear Rooney's call before you see the play. I couldn't do it.

wdelaney72
04-08-2005, 11:45 AM
I tried that, but there's a delay in the TV broadcast, so you hear Rooney's call before you see the play. I couldn't do it.

I used to bypass the delay by using my rooftop antenna (every dish subscriber should have one as a backup!), but now with CSN, I'm S.O.L.

At least I can still do it for football.

Unregistered
04-08-2005, 11:49 AM
I think we'd all agree that we'd welcome a Carmen DeFalco tryout?I'm sure JR would love to give him a closer look after that interview on opening day. :D:

SOXSINCE'70
04-08-2005, 11:50 AM
We already have to deal with one idiot (Dore) and a senile old man (Red Kerr) with one of Reinsdorf's teams (Bulls), we shouldn't have to listen to anymore garbage with our favorite team and that is what DJ is in the booth.:whiner: :mad:

I have never been a big Tom Dore fan,often calling him Tom Dork
as a joke.I've heard him do a few college games,however,and he
sounds much more comfortable in that role.And ever since Jim Durham
left,Johnny "Red" Blurr has been horrible.Especially the last few years.

Just my opinion.

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
04-08-2005, 02:45 PM
:troll
"I've been listening to The Snore too long."

SpammySosa
04-08-2005, 07:09 PM
I think we'd all agree that we'd welcome a Carmen DeFalco tryout?

Nope.:D:

Soxfest
04-08-2005, 08:03 PM
I still cannot believe Sox picked HACK DJ over Tom Seaver when he was hired, DJ next thought will be his first.

Wsoxmike59
04-09-2005, 04:49 AM
Put me down for being in the camp that LIKES Darrin Jackson. I think he's shown steady improvement each season since he's taken over for Tom Paciorek as the color man and occasional play by play voice of the Sox.

I wish the Hawk would switch to the radio for the middle three innings, for those who can't get the Sox on TV on a regular basis could get a chance to listen to the old Hawkeroo, and have John Rooney come into the TV Booth and work with DJ.

Hawk & DJ are OK in my book!

HITMEN OF 77
04-09-2005, 10:45 AM
Put me down for being in the camp that LIKES Darrin Jackson. I think he's shown steady improvement each season since he's taken over for Tom Paciorek as the color man and occasional play by play voice of the Sox.
Hawk & DJ are OK in my book!

I will second that emotion.