PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Bullpen

GiveMeSox
04-07-2005, 04:19 PM
After watching todays game and yesterdays I adamantly believe we should have gone with 7 pitchers in the pen instead of 6. I dont really mind the micro managiing of ozzie and releivers becuase history usually repeats itself. Like lefties hit pollite hard and such. Unofortunatly our two lefties are also both renown for struggling to throw strikes at times and walking guys (they also love to throw wild pitches). That being said we need an extra arm down there for more insurance in these kind of situations where we need to go left right left right and such. The extra bench players really isn't of that much use.

Nard
04-07-2005, 04:34 PM
I agree. Would it have killed to keep Mr. Wunsch here for a bit longer?

Unregistered
04-07-2005, 04:36 PM
I agree. Would it have killed to keep Mr. Wunsch here for a bit longer?Are you serious?

Tragg
04-07-2005, 06:23 PM
I didn't see the game, but did we use our pitchers judiciously? 1/3 here, 1/3 there with a lead. Lots of folks questioned the use of the staff last year. Thing do happen and when you leave yourself exposed, well, we saw what happened.

batmanZoSo
04-07-2005, 06:26 PM
I didn't see the game, but did we use our pitchers judiciously? 1/3 here, 1/3 there with a lead. Lots of folks questioned the use of the staff last year. Thing do happen and when you leave yourself exposed, well, we saw what happened.

I don't like too much of that one batter stuff at all. If you can only face one batter you shouldn't be in the big leagues. That should be used sparingly.

Banix12
04-07-2005, 09:23 PM
After watching todays game and yesterdays I adamantly believe we should have gone with 7 pitchers in the pen instead of 6. I dont really mind the micro managiing of ozzie and releivers becuase history usually repeats itself. Like lefties hit pollite hard and such. Unofortunatly our two lefties are also both renown for struggling to throw strikes at times and walking guys (they also love to throw wild pitches). That being said we need an extra arm down there for more insurance in these kind of situations where we need to go left right left right and such. The extra bench players really isn't of that much use.

It's been three days. Only after a month do I start worrying about the bullpen.

I'm also much more comfortable giving no work to an extra hitter than no work to an extra pitcher. A rusty hitter can usually only hurt you for one at-bat and has some use in the field, a rusty pitcher can destroy a whole game. If we brought a Kevin Walker with us, and he gets in a game for one inning, once a week, how good is that inning gonna be?

owensmouth
04-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Let's see: Foulke, Rivera, Wickman amd now Shingo. All of them have blown at least one save so far this year. It happens early in every year. Does anyone remember the opening game last year? The one from hell that Marte blew?

I still grown when I think of that game.

Lip Man 1
04-07-2005, 11:33 PM
One difference... when Rivera and Foulke blow a game...it means that instead of winning 98 games this year the Red Sox and or Yankees will 'only' win 97. The White Sox have averaged 83 wins for the past seven years...we can't afford to piss away games due to stupid managerial decisions.

Lip

FarWestChicago
04-07-2005, 11:56 PM
One difference... when Rivera and Foulke blow a game...it means that instead of winning 98 games this year the Red Sox and or Yankees will 'only' win 97. The White Sox have averaged 83 wins for the past seven years...we can't afford to piss away games due to stupid mangerial decisions.

Lip:deadhorse:

SABRSox
04-08-2005, 12:33 AM
I agree. Would it have killed to keep Mr. Wunsch here for a bit longer?

Have you seen Wunsch pitch lately? He's not that good. Cotts and Marte are much better.

ma-gaga
04-08-2005, 01:01 AM
After watching todays game and yesterdays I adamantly believe we should have gone with 7 pitchers in the pen instead of 6.

It depends on the quality of the pen, and the ability of the manager to use them correctly. There are a bunch of AL teams that only carry 6 relief pitchers.

Personally, I'd rather have the extra hitter than extra pitcher, but that really depends on each individual teams' makeup. :gulp:

Lip Man 1
04-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Sabr:

Have you seen Marte pitch since last opening day?

Lip