PDA

View Full Version : What qualifies a "quality start"?

mjharrison72
04-07-2005, 09:45 AM
I have seen "quality starts" used as a statistic... I assume you can have a QS and not get the win, and there's probably a way to get the win with run support in something that would be less than a quality start.
There has to be some rhyme or reason to what's considered a QS and what isn't, sort of like roles on what's a save and what isn't. Does anybody know anything about this? Or is it arbitrary?
-M

mantis1212
04-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I believe it is six innings or more AND three runs or less. But I could be wrong.

Gosox1917
04-07-2005, 10:34 AM
A starting pitcher is credited with a quality start if he pitches at least six innings and allows three or fewer earned runs.

NonetheLoaiza
04-07-2005, 11:04 AM
A starting pitcher is credited with a quality start if he pitches at least six innings and allows three or fewer earned runs.

Which can be a misleading stat if you don't look at other stats with it. A pitcher can have 6IP, 3ER, and have a quality start, yet his ERA would still be 4.50. So, it's important to look at other aspects in addition to the quality start.

MRKARNO
04-07-2005, 12:16 PM
Which can be a misleading stat if you don't look at other stats with it. A pitcher can have 6IP, 3ER, and have a quality start, yet his ERA would still be 4.50. So, it's important to look at other aspects in addition to the quality start.

Then again, a pitcher whose ERA is 4.50 is probably not consistant enough to get a quality start or better every time. A pitcher at about a 4 ERA who is pretty consistant (like Buehrle last year) can rack up a lot of quality starts.

Ol' No. 2
04-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Which can be a misleading stat if you don't look at other stats with it. A pitcher can have 6IP, 3ER, and have a quality start, yet his ERA would still be 4.50. So, it's important to look at other aspects in addition to the quality start.A 4.5 ERA would put him about on par with the AL average. The best pitchers get a quality start about 70% of the time. But I agree that there's no one statistic that tells the whole story.

mjharrison72
04-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks, everyone.
-M

wdelaney72
04-07-2005, 04:00 PM
It brings me great joy to say that today, Jose Contreras gave us a quality start.

SoxFan48
04-07-2005, 04:17 PM
It brings me sadness to report that Shingo did not give us quality relief.:mad:

BRDSR
04-08-2005, 12:27 PM
A 4.5 ERA would put him about on par with the AL average. The best pitchers get a quality start about 70% of the time. But I agree that there's no one statistic that tells the whole story.

Of course no one statistic can give the whole story but I actually think that QS is a great stat. I think that a QS is a good cutoff for giving your team a chance to win. Even at its worst, a quality start is by no means an insurmountable lead. It's almost a better stat than ERA because it speaks more to consistency than ERA. A guy with a 4.5 ERA could give up no runs for nine innings, then give up a run every inning for 9 innings, and so on. He wouldn't get many quality starts, but if I guy had a 4.5 ERA and 24 quality starts, thats much more impressive.

Jurr
04-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Isn't Garland one of our most consistent quality start guys, yet his ERA and wins are pathetic? I need to check the books, but I think he has done that quite a bit.

Ol' No. 2
04-08-2005, 03:49 PM
Isn't Garland one of our most consistent quality start guys, yet his ERA and wins are pathetic? I need to check the books, but I think he has done that quite a bit.No. I think his %QS last year was down around 50%.

Rocklive99
04-08-2005, 04:03 PM
Isn't Garland one of our most consistent quality start guys, yet his ERA and wins are pathetic? I need to check the books, but I think he has done that quite a bit.

I thought so too, if not, Hawk and DJ mention when it happens, because he's who comes to my mind whenever I hear quality start