PDA

View Full Version : Terry Bevington Update

crector
04-07-2005, 06:09 AM
Another baseball season, and Terry Bevington is once again managing a minor league team. Will miracles never cease?

http://indyball.blogspot.com/2005/04/nl-bevington-dissapointed-with-05.html

(NL) Bevington Dissapointed with '05 Draft Class

(Northern League (http://www.northernleague.com/)) Terry Bevington was dissapointed with the turnout, and the quality of this week's Northern League tryout in Surprise, Arizona. Bevington, skipper of the expansion Edmonton CrackerCats was expecting in the neighborhood of 400 ballplayers and somewhere around 100 pitchers to look over. But of the 160 players in attendance, Bevington saw two - a left handed pitcher and an outfielder - who could be decent ball players.

He told the Edmonton Sun (http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/EdmontonSun/Sports/2005/04/06/984443-sun.html) he was, "Kind of shocked" at the whole thing, and swapped Tuesday's first round pick to the Saints for St. Paul's '06 first round pick.

All told, twelve ball players were selected by the other 11 NL teams during Tuesday's draft.

indyball
04-07-2005, 08:14 AM
So far the CrackerCats haven't done anything to impress me. I don't follow the AL/Central game, but I know the ChiSox didn't make any noise when Bevington was the manager.

But man, the CrackerCats just have nothing going for them.

First of all, Edmonton? Isn't it like, always 4degrees?
CrackerCats? Who came up with that name? The same guy that named the Orem Nutz? (Yes, that's a real team name, too.)
Telus Field is sinfully ugly. Turf infield with a grass outfield. They're just asking for ugly hops on that cut-out.
And the logo, the cat has a golf bag. *** is up with that?

The league overall is a solid league, probably borderline AA/AAA level baseball, and the Northern League is the most successfull of the indies. Lots of teams in the Chicago area, too. I just have a feeling that Edmonton team is going to go about 20 - 70 and end up moving to the Detroit or Milwaukee area in '06.

Could be worse though. Hal Lanier's coaching in Winnipeg, and his team signed one of those 37 minor leaguers who tested positive for 'performance enhancers' and nobody told the team until the list went public.

(by the way, that's my site you quoted...thanks)

TommyJohn
04-07-2005, 09:36 AM
BEVINGTON!!!!!!!!!!
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

TDog
04-07-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm not an expert on the Northern League, although I have been to a game in Schaumburg. But as I understand it, Edmonton baseball fans feel cheated by the move of the Trappers, the Pacific Coast League team for which Ron Kittle hit 50 home runs in 1982.

It isn't like this new Edmonton team is going to get a Kittle or Tim Salmon for a season before they hit the big leagues. Independent leagues sell their best players to big league teams so they can play in their systems. That's one of the objectives of the teams and what the players are playing for.

indyball
04-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Indy ball teams, particularly Northern League & Atlantic League teams get quality ball players though.

J.D. Drew played in St. Paul after he decided not to play in Philly, Camden has a pitcher that I think could play at least AAA ball. I mean, they're not going to get a major league level player, but they'll get a good ball player the majors overlooked, or a good AAA ball player that's too old to develop, or got cut because a team's stocked at a position.

The talent is pretty equal across the leagues, and for the money, the games can't be beat. I walked up to Campbell's Field in Camden 15 mintues before first pitch, and I was behind the plate, 3 rows back for $10.

I knew I wasn't going to see a 450ft homerun, but I saw a damn good game that went to the bottom of the ninth with two on, two outs, and the road team down by two.

Couldn't beat it for $10.

BigEdWalsh
04-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Further update: He's still a @%#* a$$#@%*.

Wsoxmike59
04-08-2005, 06:30 AM
In perhaps one of my bigger "brain cramp" moments, I bought Terry Bevington's 1997 Home Jersey at the Sox Garage Sale a few years ago. (mostly because it fit me size wise) afterward my wife laughed and said

"I wouldn't wear that to a game, unless of course you WANT to get boo'd!"

Milw
04-08-2005, 06:50 AM
And the logo, the cat has a golf bag. *** is up with that?

With apologies to Tiger Woods, nothing says "Cracker" quite like the game of golf.

PatK
04-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Does he still do the lineups in calligraphy?

JKryl
04-08-2005, 01:40 PM
(NL) Bevington Dissapointed with '05 Draft Class

So now Bevington is supposed to be able to evaluate talent? Wonders never cease.