PDA

View Full Version : The Ryan Dempster era begins in earnest

Mohoney
04-06-2005, 10:43 PM
3 2/3 IP, 7 ER

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

HomeFish
04-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Last year, the problem was that while Prior and Wood were out, the accursed ones still won a lot of ballgames, and that kept them in contention until the last week of the season once their top starters got back.

This season, they cannot be allowed to do the same. St. Louis and Houston, especially the latter, are weaker, and the same pattern as 2004 may result in a wildcard berth. They must lose, lose, lose, and do so with great vigor.

Dempster's start is a step in that direction; hopefully Arizona can hold on.

shoota
04-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Anyone see the play at the plate where Michael Barrett kneed Troy Glaus after he scored? Barrett is so bush, I really dislike him. Barrett routinely shows very poor sportsmanship.

Here's how it went down: There was a play at the plate and Barrett wasn't blocking the plate. Since the throw was coming from right, he was facing that direction. Glaus got the "down" sign from his teammate and kicked the legs of a crouching Barrett--who didn't even fall down--as he slid safely across the plate. Barrett caught the ball at about the same time Glaus made contact with him. As Glaus tried standing up after scoring on his slide, Barrett, who was standing over him, tried to knee and push him back down to the ground. Since Barrett's knee was pretty weak, and Glaus is a big guy, Glaus didn't fall back to the ground.

I'm surprised the umpire didn't throw Barrett out of the game since he saw the whole incident occur, but he must have warned Barrett since he did say something to him. Glaus was the bigger man by walking away after giving an angry "why" look back at Barrett and waving his arm as if to say "whatever scrub."

I tell you these Cubs are classy guys. Zambrano gets kicked out in the first game; Barrett kicks people in the second game. I can't wait to see what these emotional guys will do for the third game of the season.

As I type this, Barrett just hit a three run home run. It shouldn't have counted though since he should have been thrown out of the game after literally kicking a man when he was down.

I have disliked Barrett since last year. His garbage taunting to an opposing player after a play at the plate. He smiled at the player and showed him the ball. Take your hit, make the play and go back to the dugout. Don't show up other guys who didn't even do anything dirty. WGN showed that clip non-stop last year. And his season-long beef with Roy Oswalt. I don't know the details behind that one, but I do know that Barrett just wouldn't let it go. He's a prick.

correction edit: this is the cubs third game of the season. my apologies. :gulp:

batmanZoSo
04-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Not bad for a 111 loss team that somehow got worse in the offseason. Life is good.

skobabe8
04-07-2005, 01:06 AM
(The guy who is the voice for ONSTAR): The following conversation is real, and occurred while watching the Diamondbacks of Arizona put the finishing touches of a 5-4 victory on the Cubs of Chicago on April 5, 2005.

Me: "So who is your guys' #3 starter?"
Cub fan friend: "Lets see...Wood...Prior...Zambrano!"
Me: "No, I mean this year."
Cub fan friend: "Oh, um, Ryan Dempster is scheduled for tomorrow."
Me: "Ryan Dempster????"
Cub fan friend: "Hell yeah! He was an All-Star!"
Me: "What year?"
Cub fan friend: "I don't know."
:)

DrCrawdad
04-07-2005, 11:36 AM
(The guy who is the voice for ONSTAR): The following conversation is real, and occurred while watching the Diamondbacks of Arizona put the finishing touches of a 5-4 victory on the Cubs of Chicago on April 5, 2005.

Me: "So who is your guys' #3 starter?"
Cub fan friend: "Lets see...Wood...Prior...Zambrano!"
Me: "No, I mean this year."
Cub fan friend: "Oh, um, Ryan Dempster is scheduled for tomorrow."
Me: "Ryan Dempster????"
Cub fan friend: "Hell yeah! He was an All-Star!"
Me: "What year?"
Cub fan friend: "I don't know."
:)

Dempster did have a good year...in 2000. Dempster may turn out to be a good pitcher for the Cubbies. The thing is, many Cubbie fans talk about Dempster as though he were a sure thing. He's not. 2000 was Dempster's best year. Since he's dropped off, whether it was a result of the injury or not, who knows at this point.

Dempster could turn into a very good pick-up for the Cubbies or it could be a Mike Sirotka or Donovan Osbourne type move.

mantis1212
04-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Anyone see the play at the plate where Michael Barrett kneed Troy Glaus after he scored? Barrett is so bush, I really dislike him. Barrett routinely shows very poor sportsmanship.

I agree. I noticed last year Barrett likes to talk a lot of ****. You might notice, however, he only does it when he's in full catchers gear. He seems to keep his mouth shut when not surrounded by full body armor. Sounds like a coward to me.

PatK
04-07-2005, 12:16 PM
. Dempster may turn out to be a good pitcher for the Cubbies.

i don't think Cubs fans realize (or anyone in the media for that manner) that he's not some 20 year old rookie. He's been around.

Dempster is a poor man's Kerry Wood.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-07-2005, 08:01 PM
And Hendry picked up Dempster and paid him all last to rehab just for these Kodak moments. Money well spent.

shoota
04-08-2005, 03:18 PM

Here's how it went down: There was a play at the plate and Barrett wasn't blocking the plate. Since the throw was coming from right, he was facing that direction. Glaus got the "down" sign from his teammate and kicked the legs of a crouching Barrett--who didn't even fall down--as he slid safely across the plate. Barrett caught the ball at about the same time Glaus made contact with him. As Glaus tried standing up after scoring on his slide, Barrett, who was standing over him, tried to knee and push him back down to the ground. Since Barrett's knee was pretty weak, and Glaus is a big guy, Glaus didn't fall back to the ground.

I'm surprised the umpire didn't throw Barrett out of the game since he saw the whole incident occur, but he must have warned Barrett since he did say something to him. Glaus was the bigger man by walking away after giving an angry "why" look back at Barrett and waving his arm as if to say "whatever scrub."

I tell you these Cubs are classy guys. Zambrano gets kicked out in the first game; Barrett kicks people in the second game. I can't wait to see what these emotional guys will do for the third game of the season.

As I type this, Barrett just hit a three run home run. It shouldn't have counted though since he should have been thrown out of the game after literally kicking a man when he was down.

I have disliked Barrett since last year. His garbage taunting to an opposing player after a play at the plate. He smiled at the player and showed him the ball. Take your hit, make the play and go back to the dugout. Don't show up other guys who didn't even do anything dirty. WGN showed that clip non-stop last year. And his season-long beef with Roy Oswalt. I don't know the details behind that one, but I do know that Barrett just wouldn't let it go. He's a prick.

correction edit: this is the cubs third game of the season. my apologies. :gulp:

I looked in Today's Tribune (Friday) for game coverage of Wednesday's late game since the game was too late for Thursday's printing.

Since they didn't cover the game in Friday's normal edition, they didn't mention Barrett's dirty cheapshot on Troy Glaus. Figures. Tribune just hiding any negative Cub event that they can. :angry: