PDA

View Full Version : Trib rumor - Frank gone after season?

cbrownson13
04-06-2005, 10:08 PM
According to ESPN Insider, who's excellent source is the Trib, they expect the Sox to buyout Frank's contract for $3.5 million and let him go.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/rumorcentral?sport=mlb

NSSoxFan
04-06-2005, 10:09 PM
Sorry, but...

:threadblows:

chisox2005
04-06-2005, 10:15 PM
Old news. Unless they re-do a contract thats what is gonna happen.

GiveMeSox
04-06-2005, 10:29 PM
According to ESPN Insider, who's excellent source is the Trib, they expect the Sox to buyout Frank's contract for $3.5 million and let him go.

I think this whole story is a case of speculation and or deductive logic. We all know Franks contract calls for $10 mil option for next year, the last in his contract. While logic tells us hes probably not worth more than 7 to 8 mil there is some good news. It appears Franks contract is structured so that his salary every year counts only 7.25 mil on the books. Meaning the rest is deffered or pooled into a bonus or something. So really in terms of payroll on the book if he stays for 06 its still only 7.25 mil.

http://dugoutdollars.blogspot.com/2003_12_28_dugoutdollars_archive.html

FightingBillini
04-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Old news. Unless they re-do a contract thats what is gonna happen.

Not unless Frank doesn't come back full strength and has a poor year. Frank is in the best shape of his life, and he is motivated. Frank is going to force the Sox pick up his option.
Even if Frank doesnt have a great year by his standards, it would probably be cheaper to pay him and to buy him out and try to find another person to hit as good as him.

WikdChiSoxFan
04-06-2005, 10:35 PM
I'll front the money.

Frank Thomas dies a White Sox.

(EDIT: to keep him playing, not but out the contract)

Bucktown
04-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Sorry, but...

Mod Edit:

Please re-read the TOS you agreed to when you registered here. Personal attacks are not allowed. Once more and you get a nice vacation.

jabrch
04-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Who knows? It totally depends on how he hits this season and how many games he plays. Right now NOBODY, and that includes JR and KW have any idea what they will do with Frank.

NSSoxFan
04-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Mod Edit:

Please re-read the TOS you agreed to when you registered here. Personal attacks are not allowed. Once more and you get a nice vacation.

What did I miss?

MeanFish
04-06-2005, 10:57 PM
With any luck, Frank coming back strong will equate to a division title and possibly more, making his option a trivial matter.

HITMEN OF 77
04-06-2005, 11:26 PM
What did I miss?
Me too??

Unregistered
04-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Frank Thomas dies a White Sox. Hell yes. I don't know what I'll do if Frank is playing for effin' Tampa Bay or something the last few years of his career. It's just not right.

Pay the man his money and show some damned loyalty.

batmanZoSo
04-06-2005, 11:32 PM
Every year there's some kind of Frank leaving talk and every year he's wearing silver and black. His only other stop will be the hall of fame as long as he can hit 500 homers and have two or three more productive years.

doublem23
04-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Let's finish the remaining 98.8% of the season before we worry about what comes after it.

Realist
04-07-2005, 06:51 AM
I've been hearing this same crap about it being "all but certain" that Frank is a gonner after this season and I haven't heard even the slightest bit of evidence to back it up. As of this point it is total B.S. It's nothing more than wishfull thinking on the part of Sox haters in the Chicago media.

The reality of the situation is: Frank has come right out and said he wants to finish his career here. The very core of Sox fandom wants Frank here. Frank and Uncle Jerry have a very good working relationship. Uncle Jerry knows that losing Frank would be a PR snafu that would rank right up there with Sportsvision, the 1994 strike, and selling nukes to Bin Laden. In other words, I don't see it happening.

If I were a betting man, I'd imagine Frank and UJ tearing up the old contract and coming up with something that they both can live with. If anybody in the media tells you otherwise without substantiating their claims they are nothing but a bag licker (the kinda guy that licks the bottom of the popcorn bag during the closing credits of a movie).

A pox on the bag lickers.

ChiSoxBobette
04-07-2005, 06:51 AM

What does anyone on espn know about the White Sox - NOTHING!
They're all to busy going to the scrub opener Friday ie Mike & Mike in the morning , I guess the White Sox opener ment nothing.

mcfish
04-07-2005, 09:18 AM
What does anyone on espn know about the White Sox - NOTHING!
They're all to busy going to the scrub opener Friday ie Mike & Mike in the morning , I guess the White Sox opener meant nothing.I'm all for being pissed about scrub bias, but come on people, this is getting rediculous. Why do we really care where a national sports radio show is being broadcast from? It's not like this is the Chicago media here. The Sox opener was on everyone's Opening Day - I'm sorry that the national radio show didn't focus their attention solely on the Sox. Tomorrow is only home openers and one of the Mikes happens to come from Chicago and be a scrubs fan. Get over it.

ode to veeck
04-07-2005, 09:51 AM
:chickenlittle

After two great wins from the Sox to start the season, I was hoping to find more intelligent threads in the Clubhouse

Flight #24
04-07-2005, 10:04 AM
For the last time......

The question is not "is Frank worth $10mil", the question is "Is it better to have Frank or the best available replacement for $6.5mil".

The answer to that should be glaringly obvious to even the most thickheaded mediot, be they local or national.

Unless Frank just plain sucks this year coming back from injury (which would surprise me), it would take an absolute boneheaded move for the Sox to let Frank go. And that's before factoring in the PR value (something I'm sure Brooks will make known). I'd like to get ahold of all the local chumps writing that Frank's gone and give them odds he stays. Then, after they announce that he's signed a revised contract keeping him here another 3 years, I'll use the winnings to buy beers for all my WSI friends at WS games in USCF!!!

crazyozzie02
04-07-2005, 10:07 AM
I would have to agree with everyone here, and that is that Frank is not going to leave. I mean like said before, Frank wants to stay here. I would personally die if Frank leaves because he is the only White Sox that is still on the team ever since i can remember (im 18). It seems like Frank has finally grown up and like he said in an interview, that it was time where he knows he doesnt have many years left and he has to step-up and be a leader and breed the new superstars. I think this is where he wants to be and if he were to leave i would start to wonder if God exsists.

hawkjt
04-07-2005, 12:10 PM
I think both sides know they are best with Frank here for the duration. If the sox let him go they will burn yet again a critical bridge to the fans.

Frank Thomas - a sox forever and a clear first ballot HOF with a sox hat .

Fredsox
04-07-2005, 12:25 PM
I find it semi-amazing that ESPN has nothing more important to tell us about than uninformed speculation about a player's status after this season ends. The quality of their work appears to be going down the crapper. As a fan I'd much rather they write about the Sox comeback yesterday and the upcoming series against the Twinkies. Perhaps if they want to speculate they'd like to discuss why their magic Cleveland team is 0-2.

Hangar18
04-07-2005, 12:32 PM
I find it semi-amazing that ESPN has nothing more important to tell us about than uninformed speculation about a player's status after this season ends. The quality of their work appears to be going down the crapper. As a fan I'd much rather they write about the Sox comeback yesterday and the upcoming series against the Twinkies. Perhaps if they want to speculate they'd like to discuss why their magic Cleveland team is 0-2.

YUP ........... ESPN am1000, the Flagship station of the Chicago White Sox,
is too busy getting ready for the Cubs Home Opener tomorrow, broadcasting live

OG4LIFE
04-07-2005, 12:34 PM
The reality of the situation is: Frank has come right out and said he wants to finish his career here. The very core of Sox fandom wants Frank here. Frank and Uncle Jerry have a very good working relationship. Uncle Jerry knows that losing Frank would be a PR snafu that would rank right up there with Sportsvision, the 1994 strike, and selling nukes to Bin Laden. In other words, I don't see it happening.

Nothing in the past has indicated that a 'PR snafu' will stop UJ from making decisions into what he sees as in his own best interests (see the brief list you have compiled).

Hangar18
04-07-2005, 12:49 PM
I think both sides know they are best with Frank here for the duration. If the sox let him go they will burn yet again a critical bridge to the fans.

Frank Thomas - a sox forever and a clear first ballot HOF with a sox hat .

Carlton Fisk ................

Flight #24
04-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Carlton Fisk ................

Good comparison....a guy who couldn't play anymore but refused to retire (and coincidentally was never picked up by anyone else), against a guy who was still putting up pretty stellar #s as recently as a year ago.

The point is: it's a bad baseball move AND a bad PR move. Fisk, while a horrible PR move was actually the right baseball move. Unless they decide to cut payroll and go with Gload or equivalent in-house guy, it makes 0 baseball sense to let Frank go.

RKMeibalane
04-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Let's worry about 2006 when the 2005 season is over. For the moment, Frank Thomas remains a member of the Sox organization. I see no reason to assume that he won't continue to be a part of the White Sox family. Beyond that, I don't really care.

Stroker Ace
04-08-2005, 02:09 AM

I've noticed ESPN's going downhill a while ago

PorkChopExpress
04-08-2005, 09:48 AM
Does anyone have a subscription to ESPN Insider? I noticed on the MLB rumors, there is a heading "Big Hurt's Last Stand with Sox?" I am curious as to what this is about. I hear people talk about this, and I am so afraid that the Sox are not going to sign him at the end of the year. Can anyone fill me in on what the article says?

Rocky Soprano
04-08-2005, 09:54 AM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47729

PorkChopExpress
04-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Thanks.

Fake Chet Lemon
04-08-2005, 10:03 AM
OK. Frank is gone soon and Buhrle is going to soon be a Cardinal. Yawn......

Lip Man 1
04-08-2005, 12:50 PM
Here's what should have everyone concerned (and I don't see this being discussed).

Kenny Williams does not get along with Frank. Kenny Williams has to power to do what he wishes concerning the make up of the team and Kenny Williams by his statements and actions in the past appears to have been trying to get Frank off the roster for at least the past two years.

I wouldn't call Frank returning next year a certainty even if it makes 'financial' sense.

Lip

rmusacch
04-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Here's what should have everyone concerned (and I don't see this being discussed).

Kenny Williams does not get along with Frank. Kenny Williams has to power to do what he wishes concerning the make up of the team and Kenny Williams by his statements and actions in the past appears to have been trying to get Frank off the roster for at least the past two years.

I wouldn't call Frank returning next year a certainty even if it makes 'financial' sense.

Lip

I would think that Reinsdorf would have some say in this matter. If he wants Frank to stay, I think Frank stays.

Rocky Soprano
04-08-2005, 01:09 PM

Lip

How do you know Kenny does not get along with Frank?

RKMeibalane
04-08-2005, 01:26 PM
How do you know Kenny does not get along with Frank?

1. When it was announced in December, 2002 that Frank had signed the re-structed deal that JR offered him, KW was on a tropical vacation of some sort. An official within the Sox front-office called to give KW the news, and Williams threw a hissy-fit, screaming, "This is bull****! I'll trade his fat ass by the 'break!"

2. Williams echoed statements made by Ozzie Guillen during his inaugural press conference as Sox manager, saying that if Frank didn't want to part of the team, then the Sox would "turn the page."

3. It was also reported (though not confirmed) that Thomas and Williams got into a shouting match during the 2004 season. Williams had to be restrained by several people from going after Frank.

4. KW ripped Frank during a series with the Anaheim Angels, saying that he should have himself availible to be used as a decoy. You may remember that Frank's final game of the 2004 season was July 6 against the Angels, not July 4 vs. the Cubs, even though the media keeps repeating that over and over again.

Flight #24
04-08-2005, 01:33 PM

Lip

What you're implicitly saying is that Kenny would make a bad baseball move for personal reasons. I disagree.

When the team had Maggs & Carlos & Paulie you could make an argument that you deal Frank, move one of them to DH and go get your offensive balance(leadoff guy or lefty power guy) or improved pitching. I'd disagree with that argument, but it could be made. At the time, it was also a $10mil savings (IIRC) by exercising the DSC on Frank which at the time would get you a great player.

With just Paulie & Frank as the bigtime power guys in the lineup, given that the rotation's relatively set for a couple of years, and factoring in the savings of $6.5M that won't buy you a ton in today's market - it makes no baseball sense.

So again - unless you believe that Kenny will make a bad baseball move for personal reasons, there's no reason to believe this will happen.

Rocky Soprano
04-08-2005, 02:08 PM
1. When it was announced in December, 2002 that Frank had signed the re-structed deal that JR offered him, KW was on a tropical vacation of some sort. An official within the Sox front-office called to give KW the news, and Williams threw a hissy-fit, screaming, "This is bull****! I'll trade his fat ass by the 'break!"

2. Williams echoed statements made by Ozzie Guillen during his inaugural press conference as Sox manager, saying that if Frank didn't want to part of the team, then the Sox would "turn the page."

3. It was also reported (though not confirmed) that Thomas and Williams got into a shouting match during the 2004 season. Williams had to be restrained by several people from going after Frank.

4. KW ripped Frank during a series with the Anaheim Angels, saying that he should have himself availible to be used as a decoy. You may remember that Frank's final game of the 2004 season was July 6 against the Angels, not July 4 vs. the Cubs, even though the media keeps repeating that over and over again.

Wow I hadnt hard about all of that. I remember 2 and 4. But I didnt know the rest.

Had Kenny gone after Frank, Frank probably would of knocked his ass out with only one punch.

gosox41
04-08-2005, 03:08 PM

Lip

Lip,

You and I agree on this. KW's ego is bound to get in the way unless JR or Brooks steps in and knocks some sense into him.

BOb

Flight #24
04-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Lip,

You and I agree on this. KW's ego is bound to get in the way unless JR or Brooks steps in and knocks some sense into him.

BOb

I'd be interested to hear any prior examples that you have of KW's ego driving bad baseball decisions.

RKMeibalane
04-08-2005, 03:10 PM
I'd be interested to hear any prior examples that you have of KW's ego driving bad baseball decisions.

There are those who think the whole Royce Clayton disaster is an example of KW's ego getting in the way.

Lip Man 1
04-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Flight says: "What you're implicitly saying is that Kenny would make a bad baseball move for personal reasons. I disagree."

I guess that depends on what side of the fence you're standing. Here's what I mean.

In your mind this would be a move based on ego and hurt the team. In Kenny's mind he might honestly think this is a move that in the long run will improve the overall team.

I can easily construct a conversation like this.....

Kenny: "Jerry (Reinsdorf), we have to make a decision on Frank. We all respect the enormous contributions that he's made to the White Sox franchise but the fact of the matter is that he's in his mid 30's, he's had two serious debilitating injuries in the past four years, he's now a one dimensional player who can't play the field and can't run, which runs contrary to everything we are now trying to do under Ozzie. For his sake and the sake of the overall future of this organization we have to move on and do it quickly so that he has a chance to sign with another team that can best use him."

Notice I didn't even get into the reports about how Kenny personally feels about Frank, (i.e. big ego, stat conscious, clubhouse cancer etc...)

Mind you I'm not saying this is what he should do, all I'm saying is it wouldn't shock me in the least if this is it for Frank.

Plus I sense that is where all these media reports about Frank are coming from, the media knows Williams, they have obviously seen some of the disagreements between the two. I think they know kenny doesn't care for him and logically feel this is the extension of things played out. Plus who knows, they may have already been told something by Williams, off the record.

Lip

NardiWasHere
04-12-2005, 06:17 PM
There is a blurb on ESPN.COM insider that talks about Frank Thomas. They say he wants to play a few more years but Sox will buyout Hurt's contract and let him walk

The White Sox can exercise a buyout at the end of this season for $3.5 million, and are expected to let him go, severing their ties with one of the most prolific hitters in franchise history

Whaddya guys think? If the team does well this year, I can't see the Sox letting him go.

SluggersAway
04-12-2005, 06:31 PM
This is all speculation at this point. He hasn't even placed a foot on the field yet this year. I guarantee no decisions will be made until we see Frank's condition this year. Unless they have a view into the future, this has to be nothing but rumors and conjecture.

ranger_bob
04-12-2005, 06:35 PM
There's a number of reasons that I hope this is not true. The first of which is that Thomas is a classy player and his production is a big boost to the Sox when healthy.

Another reason is that Thomas is one of those rare players who has played his entire career for the same team. Whether with the Sox or any organization, baseball needs more of these.

Third, what the hell am I going to do with my Frank Thomas baseball card collection?

Flight #24
04-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Kenny: "Jerry (Reinsdorf), we have to make a decision on Frank. We all respect the enormous contributions that he's made to the White Sox franchise but the fact of the matter is that he's in his mid 30's, he's had two serious debilitating injuries in the past four years, he's now a one dimensional player who can't play the field and can't run, which runs contrary to everything we are now trying to do under Ozzie. For his sake and the sake of the overall future of this organization we have to move on and do it quickly so that he has a chance to sign with another team that can best use him."

Notice I didn't even get into the reports about how Kenny personally feels about Frank, (i.e. big ego, stat conscious, clubhouse cancer etc...)

This implies that KW thinks a faster, able to play the field Everett is worth more than the much better hitter, Frank. Despite the fact that Everett would be playing a position that doesn't need to see the field and the fact that the team as currently constructed doesn't need EVERYONE to be able to be fast & run - it needs power hitters. Frank's as good a contact hitter as Carl, gets on base better, and has better power. So speed & fielding are the only areas where Carl might do better. As noted, fielding isn't an issue since he'd be DHing.

You could follow the line of thought you construct to say "Gload runs better than Paulie, so he's a better fit with the team", and even "Timo runs better than Dye, so he's a better fit".

Remember - the issue isn't that everyone needed to be able to run fast, it's that the team as formerly constructed didn't have any speed and had a ton of power. Now it's got balance and may be light on power. I highly doubt that KW is trying to swap MORE power for speed, especialyl without any associated cost savings.

Flight #24
04-12-2005, 06:44 PM
There are those who think the whole Royce Clayton disaster is an example of KW's ego getting in the way.

About the only argument for that could be that he didn't cut Royce earlier, and it's a weak one. Especially when Manuel was playing him regularly. Why would you let go a guy who your manager apparently thought was useful and get nothing in return?

The "ego" comment smacks of trying to find something about a guy you don't like in the first place (not you specifically, RK).

RKMeibalane
04-12-2005, 07:11 PM
About the only argument for that could be that he didn't cut Royce earlier, and it's a weak one. Especially when Manuel was playing him regularly. Why would you let go a guy who your manager apparently thought was useful and get nothing in return?

The "ego" comment smacks of trying to find something about a guy you don't like in the first place (not you specifically, RK).

I don't know. I think KW has done a good job putting this team together. It's hard to know exactly what he's going to do once the season is over. I'm not that worried about it. Frank will be fine regardless of where he ends up in 2006. He's still a great hitter. If the Sox don't want him, I'm sure someone will swoop in and grab him.

SluggersAway
04-12-2005, 07:35 PM
If Frank can run: he'll be on the team. Hell, if he can trot, I still think he'll be on the team.

Lip Man 1
04-12-2005, 08:02 PM
Flight:

So who said Everett would be the figure 'replacing' Frank? For all we know Kenny might go out this off season and pull off a blockbuster deal involving a healthy, younger power hitter or try to sign a free agent.

It all depends on payroll and how much he is allowed.

Lip

gosox41
04-13-2005, 09:08 AM
There is a blurb on ESPN.COM insider that talks about Frank Thomas. They say he wants to play a few more years but Sox will buyout Hurt's contract and let him walk

Whaddya guys think? If the team does well this year, I can't see the Sox letting him go.

:KW
Don't ever doubt my ego's ability to overrule all logic and reasoning. Now what's Roberto Alomar's phone number?

Bob

Ol' No. 2
04-13-2005, 09:39 AM
This speculation is so far in the stratosphere it's ridiculous. Frank has not even set foot on the field yet. Will he be fully recovered? How well will he perform? Will he make it through the year healthy? How much money will Everett (or someone else) want to replace Frank? How will the Sox' revamped offense produce? Will Kenny even be the GM next year? All these factors and more will enter into any decision, and no one has the smallest clue as to the answers.

Flight #24
04-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Flight:

So who said Everett would be the figure 'replacing' Frank? For all we know Kenny might go out this off season and pull off a blockbuster deal involving a healthy, younger power hitter or try to sign a free agent.

It all depends on payroll and how much he is allowed.

Lip

That's speculation to the point of ridiculousness. The point is that Frank won't be cut to save $$$ because the money saved will be minimal and couldn't buy you a replacement. If Frank is cut because they raise payroll and trade for Manny Ramirez, I don't think anyone will be all that disappointed.

gosox41
04-13-2005, 12:32 PM
That's speculation to the point of ridiculousness. The point is that Frank won't be cut to save $$$ because the money saved will be minimal and couldn't buy you a replacement. If Frank is cut because they raise payroll and trade for Manny Ramirez, I don't think anyone will be all that disappointed.

I will. But I'm biased. Frank's my all time favorite player. As long as he still is capable of putting up a .950-1000 OPS I'll be really pissed if Frank is gone.

Also, KW should use that extra money for a third baseman and pitching.:D: :D:

Now back to reality.

Bob

Flight #24
04-13-2005, 12:34 PM
I will. But I'm biased. Frank's my all time favorite player. As long as he still is capable of putting up a .950-1000 OPS I'll be really pissed if Frank is gone.

Also, KW should use that extra money for a third baseman and pitching.:D: :D:

Now back to reality.

Bob

OK, I'll 'fess up - I'd be pissed too. But if it were for Ramirez, I think I'd get over it a lot more quickly....