PDA

View Full Version : Konerko and Dye homeruns

chisox1388
04-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Those were absolute shots. I'm willing to bet both of those were 400 plus. BTW, i was sitting in a certain by my comp looking at U of Cal football recruits for the class of 2003 because I wanted to see where Aaron Rodgers was rated, but as soon as I went to the page, Everett got his single. Needless to say I stayed in that same position until the game was over, and we won the game, so obviously I should be credited for having a large part in the comeback.:D: :bandance:

voodoochile
04-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Honesty, Dye looked like he was looking for it and expected it. I think he saw the fat pitch that Konerko got and figured Wickman didn't have it.

MRKARNO
04-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Honesty, Dye looked like he was looking for it and expected it. I think he saw the fat pitch that Konerko got and figured Wickman didn't have it.

He had the home run swing going on the first pitch, but he swung right through it, but on the second pitch...well you know what happened.

RKMeibalane
04-06-2005, 04:46 PM

If that's what happened, it's a remarkable change from last season. I got the impression from watching certain 2004 Sox hitters that there wasn't a great deal of attention directed towards the type of pitches that a particular pitcher was throwing, or where these pitches were located in the strike zone.

It wouldn't surprise me if Dye had the following thought process while standing in the on-deck cirlce:

::DYE:: Bob Wickman is pitching. He does not give up home runs.

::DYE:: *Watches Konerko's home run*

::DYE:: I'll be damned. He gave up a home run! If he makes that mistake again, I need take advantage of it. I'm going up there swinging.

batmanZoSo
04-06-2005, 04:50 PM
If that's what happened, it's a remarkable change from last season. I got the impression from watching certain 2004 Sox hitters that there wasn't a great deal of attention directed towards the type of pitches that a particular pitcher was throwing, or where these pitches were located in the strike zone.

It wouldn't surprise me if Dye had the following thought process while standing in the on-deck cirlce:

::DYE:: I'll be damned. He gave up a home run! If he makes that mistake again, I need take advantage of it. I'm going up there swinging.

You could just see Dye go up there with big intentions, I think we all knew what he was thinking. He was gonna get something to hit, it was a matter of execution.

Damn I wish I had gone to this game like I had planned a month ago, but recently decided on the Seattle series coming up in a week or two. I suck. No wonder I never see the Sox win. Got no instincts I tell ya.

jabrch
04-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Damn I wish I had gone to this game like I had planned a month ago

Stay the heck away...and don't wash that shirt again until we lose!

kevingrt
04-06-2005, 05:30 PM
I wanna get Hawks call on those I only heard them with Looney and Farmio over the radio and it was still amazing to listen to. I felt like I was there.

batmanZoSo
04-06-2005, 05:36 PM
Stay the heck away...and don't wash that shirt again until we lose!

No teal necessary, brother. Seriously. I was born under a bad sign...:whiner:

doublem23
04-06-2005, 06:26 PM
He had the home run swing going on the first pitch, but he swung right through it, but on the second pitch...well you know what happened.

Yeah, when he hacked at the first pitch I nearly threw my damn TV out the window in a fit of rage screaming, GOD DAMMIT, JERMAINE, GET THE **** ON BASE.

Sometimes crow can taste sweet. :tongue:

PAPChiSox729
04-06-2005, 06:51 PM
After PK's homerun, I thought "We better not lose this game 3-2 because of Marte." Thankfully Dye hit that HR on the second pitch and I thought I was dreaming. And you guys know the rest of the story. Wickman looked absolutely pathetic. Hopefully he is in midseason form. Today's game was absolutely unbelievable.
:D:

mealfred13
04-06-2005, 07:25 PM

Agree 100%. He was looking first pitch hanger up the middle, and whiffed. But he sure put it in its place on the next one.

I love the fact that Dye knows what he's doing up there. Reminds of a few other hitters: Paul Konerko, Frank Thomas. I can't count the number of times I've seen Pauly or Frank go up there and know exactly what they're gonna get and take it out of the park. Especially when they crush a pitch foul and then take it yard 1 or 2 pitches later.

zach074
04-06-2005, 07:32 PM

Good, now i know im not the only one who talks to themselves.:rolleyes:

Whitesox029
04-06-2005, 10:28 PM
Those were absolute shots. I'm willing to bet both of those were 400 plus. BTW, i was sitting in a certain by my comp looking at U of Cal football recruits for the class of 2003 because I wanted to see where Aaron Rodgers was rated, but as soon as I went to the page, Everett got his single. Needless to say I stayed in that same position until the game was over, and we won the game, so obviously I should be credited for having a large part in the comeback.:D: :bandance:
In the same way, I was instrumental in Buehrle's performance Monday by not wearing my sweatshirt during the top halves of innings and putting it on during bottom halves. However, that wasn't working all that well so I left it off for the bottom of the 7th and lo and behold...we scored. I left it off the rest of the game.

batmanZoSo
04-06-2005, 11:24 PM
After PK's homerun, I thought "We better not lose this game 3-2 because of Marte." Thankfully Dye hit that HR on the second pitch and I thought I was dreaming. And you guys know the rest of the story. Wickman looked absolutely pathetic. Hopefully he is in midseason form. Today's game was absolutely unbelievable.
:D:

When Konerko homered I started mentally cussing out Freddy for that stupid balk. That was such an obvious one, I caught it instantly. Usually, they're pretty subtle and unless you're really paying attention it's hard to notice and you just see the ump point to whatever base.

SOX ADDICT '73
04-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Those were absolute shots. I'm willing to bet both of those were 400 plus.
You win your bet!

Carl Everett started the ninth-inning uprising with a line shot to right, and Paul Konerko followed with a 409-foot home run to left on a 1-0 pitch to cut the deficit to 3-2.

Their second home run came on the next pitch, as Jermaine Dye's 402-foot blast tied the game at 3.
Although, if he's wrong about Dye's HR coming "on the next pitch", maybe he's wrong about those measurements too!:wink:

chisox1388
04-06-2005, 11:52 PM
SOX ADDICT '73Quote:
Originally Posted by chisox1388
Those were absolute shots. I'm willing to bet both of those were 400 plus.

You win your bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merkin
Carl Everett started the ninth-inning uprising with a line shot to right, and Paul Konerko followed with a 409-foot home run to left on a 1-0 pitch to cut the deficit to 3-2.

Their second home run came on the next pitch, as Jermaine Dye's 402-foot blast tied the game at 3.

Although, if he's wrong about Dye's HR coming "on the next pitch", maybe he's wrong about those measurements too!:wink: What can I say, it's a gift.:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :dtroll: :D: :D: :gulp:

Tragg
04-07-2005, 09:05 AM
The best thing about that 9th inning, other than what happened, was that there was no dogpiling, going crazy - high fives and that's it. Sox acted like they expect to win with the realization that there's a lot of work left.

Going crazy is for the fans - and I did.